Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (354) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1489279 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by frshwvfarms: 7:08pm On Jan 04, 2017
Ttalk:

Vital is good. Since you are spreading to other ponds I suggest u dedicate one pond to local feed. The experience you will get will help you in subsequent production. Knowledge in local feed management is necessary for expansion

Consider the cost of floating feed like vital that cost 6800 per 15kg, if your FCR is 1:1 then you will required 453naira to attain 1kg apart from other sundry expenses.

We cannot even find Vital feed around Ikorodu Lagos as of this past 2 days for close to this prize. Anyone with such knowledge, please share. I need to stock about 20 bags
I am seriously looking for a proven local feed with easier cost for one of the pond with those around 500 to 700g. So about 400 fishes can experiment on the local feed
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by funso111: 8:30pm On Jan 04, 2017
robonski15:

You might have over stocked the bigger pond, what is the size of the ponds and how many did you stock in each?
I am sure I didn't overstock sir. The pond is 40 by 30 ft.and 5ft deep. I have 1500 pieces. The smaller pond is just about half of the bigger pond with 1100 pieces and doing fine
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ABHAKS: 9:15pm On Jan 04, 2017
Please can I give antibiotic and sort my fishes on the same day
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 10:24pm On Jan 04, 2017
Happy New year my people. glad to see you all in this new year!

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:32pm On Jan 04, 2017
frshwvfarms:

We cannot even find Vital feed around Ikorodu Lagos as of this past 2 days for close to this prize. Anyone with such knowledge, please share. I need to stock about 20 bags
I am seriously looking for a proven local feed with easier cost for one of the pond with those around 500 to 700g. So about 400 fishes can experiment on the local feed
You can use proven formula from this thread.
Seems feed distributors are another cabals dealing with farmers. They just supply whatever they want to the market without regard for farmers demand. Today they flood the market with Coppens, tomorrow its vital, next tomorrow it ala-aqua
It is high time farmers come together and purchase directly from producer. This would enable us make reasonable bargain for price reduction and equally address the quality issue of floating feeds
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sirfarouk(m): 12:18pm On Jan 05, 2017
Ttalk:

Seems feed distributors are another cabals dealing with farmers. They just supply whatever they want to the market without regard for farmers demand. Today they flood the market with Coppens, tomorrow its vital, next tomorrow it ala-aqua
It is high time farmers come together and purchase directly from producer. This would enable us make reasonable bargain for price reduction and equally address the quality issue of floating feeds

What's your take on the use of poultry eggs and poultry droppings as supplementary fish feed?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 1:45pm On Jan 05, 2017
sirfarouk:

What's your take on the use of poultry eggs and poultry droppings as supplementary fish feed?
You cant always get away with unhygenic feed unless there are means to destroy all the bacterials in such droppings.
It not a matter of whether they would be infected but a matter of when they would be infected. Because you got away with it in the past does not mean you will always get away with it
My take is dont feed your fish unhealthy food because they are not immune to infection
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by frshwvfarms: 3:24pm On Jan 05, 2017
Ttalk:

Thanks again TTalk..I would appreciate it if you can quote one for me, please. However i am more interested in purchasing from a very reliable person with a proven safe formula
You have great point. There are multiple gains in creating Cooperative for CatFish farmers to patronize and support few authentic local producers and distribute some trusted foreign feed as well as addressing other important concerns such as fair marketing prizes towards sustainability. I strongly support encouraging local feed production to boost job creation and fortify us farmers against fluctuating economy and exchange rate. Imagine not finding the feed you so much depend on because of sudden importation exchange rate or total ban for whatever reason? Such moves will devastate farmers, their families and consumers alike. In support of your view, I am interested in farmer's exchange where we can bring your locally manufactured feed for distribution to farmers as a reliable source. The same place can serve as one stop for stock sales and distribution as well as feed marketing. This idea can encourage talented feed producers to continue producing good feed. The benefit will be reduced feed cost and a reliable trusted marketing location for farmers. We must consider ways to allow this exchange to earn something to facilitate all these activities that are critical to our overall success as a community of farmers. Everyone win when you factor each talent/tool/labor.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:49pm On Jan 05, 2017
funso111:
I am sure I didn't overstock sir. The pond is 40 by 30 ft.and 5ft deep. I have 1500 pieces. The smaller pond is just about half of the bigger pond with 1100 pieces and doing fine

Try to increase their feed by 10% and make sure water quality is optimum.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 11:01pm On Jan 05, 2017
frshwvfarms:

Thanks again TTalk..I would appreciate it if you can quote one for me, please. However i am more interested in purchasing from a very reliable person with a proven safe formula
You have great point. There are multiple gains in creating Cooperative for CatFish farmers to patronize and support few authentic local producers and distribute some trusted foreign feed as well as addressing other important concerns such as fair marketing prizes towards sustainability. I strongly support encouraging local feed production to boost job creation and fortify us farmers against fluctuating economy and exchange rate. Imagine not finding the feed you so much depend on because of sudden importation exchange rate or total ban for whatever reason? Such moves will devastate farmers, their families and consumers alike. In support of your view, I am interested in farmer's exchange where we can bring your locally manufactured feed for distribution to farmers as a reliable source. The same place can serve as one stop for stock sales and distribution as well as feed marketing. This idea can encourage talented feed producers to continue producing good feed. The benefit will be reduced feed cost and a reliable trusted marketing location for farmers. We must consider ways to allow this exchange to earn something to facilitate all these activities that are critical to our overall success as a community of farmers. Everyone win when you factor each talent/tool/labor.
Economy: 4-6month
FM 10kg, Blood Meal 10kg, SBM 30kg, GNC 20kg, Corn 15kg Cassava Flour 5kg Wheat Offal 10kg. Lysine, Meth, Salt, Premix, Toxin Binder and Vit C

Many have msde huge discovery but to afraid to share it because they felt people would steal their ideas fogetting that it will soon become obsolete with time.
Another thing hindering our progress is plsying by the rule instead of setting new rule. My latest stock are being fed with 50% of my local starter feed and no mortality with exellent growth. If we can all go back to the dtawing board we would come out with breakthrough that would sustaing aquacultre business in Nigeria. Each time you buy starter feed above 10k know that you are simply paying the price of not producing your own feed by yourself

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by funso111: 1:27am On Jan 06, 2017
robonski15:

Try to increase their feed by 10% and make sure water quality is optimum.
thank u sir I will do just dat
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by funso111: 1:33am On Jan 06, 2017
Ttalk:

FM 10kg, Blood Meal 10kg, SBM 30kg, GNC 20kg, Corn 15kg Cassava Flour 5kg Wheat Offal 10kg. Lysine, Meth, Salt, Premix, Toxin Binder and Vit C

Many have msde huge discovery but to afraid to share it because they felt people would steal their ideas fogetting that it will soon become obsolete with time.
Another thing hindering our progress is plsying by the rule instead of setting new rule. My latest stock are being fed with 50% of my local starter feed and no mortality with exellent growth. If we can all go back to the dtawing board we would come out with breakthrough that would sustaing aquacultre business in Nigeria. Each time you buy starter feed above 10k know that you are simply paying the price of not producing your own feed by yourself
pls what do u mean by" local starter " is it 2-3 mm or 05-<2mm.I am interested.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by frshwvfarms: 2:14am On Jan 06, 2017
Ttalk:

Thanks for that details sir...I appreciate your help. Sorry for bothering you more..Is there measure for these: Lysine, Meth, Salt, Premix, Toxin Binder and Vit C from Fingerling, Juvenile, or to adult? Can someone buy these raw materials and call or email for guidance? and where can one buy some of these?
Good to know you have proven feed mix. In relative to our discussion to produce locally, Can you mix for a fee or train others to produce for us, other farmers?
We can imagine how many farmers are being kicked out of business due to that +/- N10k cost? But i am hopeful the high cost can force local high quality production and help our dear country with struggling foreign exchange to save the foreign exchanges used for coppen and others for some other important needs we all can use especially to produce power. I am willing to patronize you and encourage local productions as enough gain to encourage investment becomes feasible. we are the people who makes all the difference. Someone must say " send me, I am ready....

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 5:46am On Jan 06, 2017
funso111:
pls what do u mean by" local starter " is it 2-3 mm or 05-<2mm.I am interested.
Local starter are local feed betwee 0.5mm and 2mm
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kingsweb04: 9:44am On Jan 06, 2017
I would like to ask you.. can you please give me the appropriate size of pond to stock 5000 catfish from juvenile to table size in an Earthen Pond.

I intend building an Earthen Pond and want stock them with at least 5000 juvenile but don't know the size of the pond to dig... Will appreciate your help.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 1:31pm On Jan 06, 2017
kingsweb04:
I would like to ask you.. can you please give me the appropriate size of pond to stock 5000 catfish from juvenile to table size in an Earthen Pond.

I intend building an Earthen Pond and want stock them with at least 5000 juvenile but don't know the size of the pond to dig... Will appreciate your help.

You can use standard pond density to arrive at the number you want tsock

For concrete multiply Lenght X Breath X Height / by 3 will give you square metre. Then stock 5 fish per square metre
For earthen pond stock 2 fish per square metre

For example earthen pond of 50ft X 40ft by 4ft =8,000/3 =2,666sqm X 2 = 5,333

Your pond of 50ft X 40ft x 4ft can accommodate 5,000 fish

However, you have to consider whether your level of water is always at 4ft height throughout your production session.

You consider whether there is continuously inflow and outflow of water into your pond

Whether you are using foreign feed or local feed.

Whether you water pH is at neutral or close to neutral

If those conditions are met then you can optimise your stocking density to 5,000, otherwise you stock 4,000 or below to create allowance for condition you do not meet.

It is a different ball game entirely if you are producing melange
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 2:05pm On Jan 06, 2017
frshwvfarms:

Thanks for that details sir...I appreciate your help. Sorry for bothering you more..Is there measure for these: Lysine, Meth, Salt, Premix, Toxin Binder and Vit C from Fingerling, Juvenile, or to adult? Can someone buy these raw materials and call or email for guidance? and where can one buy some of these?
Good to know you have proven feed mix. In relative to our discussion to produce locally, Can you mix for a fee or train others to produce for us, other farmers?
We can imagine how many farmers are being kicked out of business due to that +/- N10k cost? But i am hopeful the high cost can force local high quality production and help our dear country with struggling foreign exchange to save the foreign exchanges used for coppen and others for some other important needs we all can use especially to produce power. I am willing to patronize you and encourage local productions as enough gain to encourage investment becomes feasible. we are the people who makes all the difference. Someone must say " send me, I am ready....

Lysine, Meth, Salt and Premix at 1 kg each for 100kg composition. Toxin binder 0.5 Vit C 0.2.

You can add palm oil or fish oil if available

I believe many have made huge discovery but too scare to share because they dont want people to steal their ideas. What they fail to understand is that ideal will keep changing, what you are proud of today will become obsolete in few years.

Many can formulate highly nutritious feed than imported feed but the question is in the water stability of the feed.

This is a challenge to all local fish feed producer. This is my objective this year to make my feed as stable in water as Coppens

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by funso111: 4:53pm On Jan 06, 2017
Ttalk:

Local starter are local feed betwee 0.5mm and 2mm
you do the feed yourself sir?. Can u compare d result with what is obtain from foreign feed
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by papakm(m): 5:01pm On Jan 06, 2017
Pls I need ijebu size to finglerling in lagos iju area. ASAP u can call mi or whatapps 08033020724.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by frshwvfarms: 5:36pm On Jan 06, 2017
Ttalk:

Lysine, Meth, Salt and Premix at 1 kg each for 100kg composition. Toxin binder 0.5 Vit C 0.2.

I believe many have made huge discovery but too scare to share because they dont want people to steal their ideas. What they fail to understand is that ideal will keep changing, what you are proud of today will become obsolete in few years.

Many can formulate highly nutritious feed than imported feed but the question is in the water stability of the feed.

This is a challenge to all local fish feed producer. This is my objective this year to make my feed as stable in water as Coppens

Thanks for the mix formula..I will work on this soon and let you know..It May be weeks before I may have time to try it..For now, I must buy..
You're right, many play safe until safety becomes obsolete/useless. This is why it is believed that the grave yard houses more dreams than life. But new Idea and knowledge never stop birthing and improving. Knowledge continue to improve. "many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased." Daniel 12:4" The Giver has unlimited resources, and He keeps giving. There is another new baby born with new "light" and better ideas than that unrevealed productive ideas. If what you're doing is good, use it to earn more money and helping your hungry nation or GDP at the same time. You become a manufacturer .
You mention stability of your formula in water like coppen and others. This seems to be about sinking or floating. This knowledge can be learned in months or so when time and resources are channeled towards that goal. We have people all over the world with access to all kind of first class technological and scientific education. You have the formula, your knowledge is not wasted when you reach out to a partner with access to the the technology you need. You can make deal with someone who can learn this technology and bring it to use exclusively for your goal without stealing it. Don't steal his or hers talent either. Greater walls of China, Journey to the moon, or mighty bridges are not built by one man. Be fair and add that partner to your board of directors and pay that person as agreed. Trust me, it is a success to be among the pioneers/founder. Use the resources we have and encourage those that can make the needed difference. UAC own livestocks feeds, and they are really trying, making many rich as directors and managers, not to mention distributors. Why not more from the likes of Ttalk or Robonski15 or both...Tasty's and Mr Biggs both sell food in millions?
Thanks for your time ...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 6:19pm On Jan 06, 2017
funso111:
you do the feed yourself sir?. Can u compare d result with what is obtain from foreign feed

Yes, the result has been excellent
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by CnCstore: 7:11pm On Jan 06, 2017
Have about 30KG oven dried catfish for sale. Kindly whatsapp or beep 08055238938 to order or refer a buyer.

Nationwide delivery available

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by paulavon: 8:04am On Jan 07, 2017
Please I like to know the crude protein of peanut meal?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by funso111: 11:42am On Jan 07, 2017
Ttalk:

Yes, the result has been excellent
pls I am about getting a new fingerlings, pls can I share from your knowledge. Coppens is now #2000/kg in sagamu. Pls sir. This is my no 07038307221.hope to hear from u soon thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Double94: 4:33pm On Jan 07, 2017
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jeffery23: 5:03pm On Jan 07, 2017
Good day, great farmers in the house,please what is the best way to retreat a pond, for incoming fingerlings?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kingsweb04: 9:38pm On Jan 07, 2017
Ttalk:

You can use standard pond density to arrive at the number you want tsock

For concrete multiply Lenght X Breath X Height / by 3 will give you square metre. Then stock 5 fish per square metre
For earthen pond stock 2 fish per square metre

For example earthen pond of 50ft X 40ft by 4ft =8,000/3 =2,666sqm X 2 = 5,333

Your pond of 50ft X 40ft x 4ft can accommodate 5,000 fish

However, you have to consider whether your level of water is always at 4ft height throughout your production session.

You consider whether there is continuously inflow and outflow of water into your pond

Whether you are using foreign feed or local feed.

Whether you water pH is at neutral or close to neutral

If those conditions are met then you can optimise your stocking density to 5,000, otherwise you stock 4,000 or below to create allowance for condition you do not meet.

It is a different ball game entirely if you are producing melange

Thanks alot...

At this time someone is advising me to build concrete pond instead of Earthen Pond due to the stress and management system... what do you think? Is it better to continue with concrete Pond on just build earthen pond instead?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 11:12pm On Jan 07, 2017
kingsweb04:

Thanks alot...

At this time someone is advising me to build concrete pond instead of Earthen Pond due to the stress and management system... what do you think? Is it better to continue with concrete Pond on just build earthen pond instead?

The question of which one is bettet between concrete pond and earthen pond has been overflogged and i would say both method are good depend on who is operating them.
You only need to exploit the advantage of the type of pond you want to operate.
Some say earthen pond is better than concrete pond and i laugh at their ignorance.
Concrete pond enable you siene and gives you cash flow which sustain business and enhance growth.You can be havesting weekly in concrete pond. The pond that guarrantee high survival is concrete when you know what you are doing. Your success is determine by your input, sorting, mansgement control, overstocking is better managed in concrete pond, operating your pond all year round
etc

Earthen pond support mass production, less production cost, natural habitat for fish, higher FCR.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vroom(m): 12:39am On Jan 08, 2017
Ttalk:

i am willing to learn bro...i dont mind coming around for training and even to train others that are interested, knowledge is not limited
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 6:08am On Jan 08, 2017
vroom:

i am willing to learn bro...i dont mind coming around for training and even to train others that are interested, knowledge is not limited
Alright sir, i am ready to share my experience with 10 determined and focus nairalanders. I am based in Abj. Permit me also to screen out those i consider not ready enough for this transformation. 10,nairalanders and we are good to go.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 6:25am On Jan 08, 2017
5kg at 10,000 naira, that is 2000 naira per kg for starter. 10,800 for 15 kg for grow out at 720 per kg. Fish is sold at 650 and 520 for table size and melange. How are we going to make profit without developing our own method.
Robonsky
Exclessior
Ab1x
Ayosat
Soft 777
Juvefarm
Chilanfarm
Other highly respected contributors not mentioned
People are making losses because of high cost of feed. What is the way out. You inspired many to go into fish farming through your contributions. Dont abandon your people when they need you most.
Just thinking aloud
Good morning

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by genaro2000(m): 7:56am On Jan 08, 2017
I have fairly used 3500 litres of movable tank or pond for catfish for sale at affordable price. The plumbing work for the outlet of waste water is already done. And also about six to d seven pipes to link to the gutter or wherever to send the waste water. For enquiries please call 08053043786 or 08181017822. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.