Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (398) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1491084 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by prikato: 6:49pm On Aug 22, 2017
whatapp me or send me message
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nzeudo: 10:54am On Aug 23, 2017
Please gurus in the house how can I treat and prevent crackhead disease in my farm.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oougraduatefarm: 12:49pm On Aug 23, 2017
Do you want to be a farmer?
Do you wish to invest in agriculture on a long term?
Do you want to secure a financial future?
Do you want to associate with other professional farmers?
Are you a graduate?
And you want to be your own boss?
If yes!...
I am proud to announce to you an opportunity you have been waiting for OOU GRADUATE FARMERS COOPERATIVE
We are a unique team of professional farmers in union to raise the value of green gold and ourselves.
Visit our website to register on http://www.graduatefarmers.com/
Or email us on: oougraduatefarmerscmslimited@gmail.com
WhatsApp the General Secretary on: +234 806 006 8289
We did be proud to have you on board... come join the league of Agricultural Campions.

Sign:
Kingsley Ugoh
PRO
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OmoOshodi(m): 5:07pm On Aug 23, 2017
Nzeudo:
Please gurus in the house how can I treat and prevent crackhead disease in my farm.
Step 1:Stop there feeding for 48hrs
Step2:Decongest the pond and serve them fresh water(if you use concrete pond- buy VitaminC reduce their water to barest minimum then add it to the water for 45min before filling the water up) if you use earthen pond you will need to harvest them and treat them in a small container as above.
Step3: Check if the feed is not stale or not well formulated(avoid use of blood meal etc. )

Note: Crack head are genetic and hereditary diseases. How to prevent it is early detection (blood stains on the fish head) increase Vit. C input in your feeds. .... Oya my other Ogas... Come and help this farmer o
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 5:31pm On Aug 23, 2017
BELEXYFARMS:

It is NOT easy at all... You need to gradually build your customer base. Sometimes the fishes will stay on d farm beyond the time u av stipulated for harvesting and d farmer will now panick and sell at a give away price. Happens a lot to newbies. Start doing ur market survey now. Walk around ur area and check for major markets and see if there are catfish sellers there. If u av lots of peppersoup joints around u, start telling dem dat in a few months time u will av catfish for sale.
By the way, where is ur location? It would be nice if u can hook up wt other farmers around u. They will share the contacts of buyers wt u if dey are nice guys.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Dank1u(m): 9:55am On Aug 24, 2017
Gurus in this lovely thread, @ Robonski15, please where can I get Artemia at best price in Lagos, intend selling in quantity. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:11pm On Aug 24, 2017
Dank1u:
Gurus in this lovely thread, @ Robonski15, please where can I get Artemia at best price in Lagos, intend selling in quantity. Thanks

You can try Agege.. Poultry support
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:12pm On Aug 24, 2017
OmoOshodi:
Step2:Decongest the pond and serve them fresh water(if you use concrete pond- buy VitaminC reduce their water to barest minimum then add it to the water for 45min before filling the water up) if you use earthen pond you will need to harvest them and treat them in a small container as above.
Step3: Check if the feed is not stale or not well formulated(avoid use of blood meal etc. )

Note: Crack head are genetic and hereditary diseases. How to prevent it is early detection (blood stains on the fish head) increase Vit. C input in your feeds. .... Oya my other Ogas... Come and help this farmer o

I wouldn't agree more.. You said it all sir..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kgbala: 6:12pm On Aug 24, 2017
I am in need of constant supply of melange size catfish location is igando lagos kindly call or whatsapp on 08033676263
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 9:58pm On Aug 24, 2017
atoleybaba:
In ikd...1kg goes for 480naira d least a farmer can go....my dad uses aqua feed from 2months(it gives them big shape or makes them fat) then 3days to harvest, he uses ziegler.(damn that feed normally works wonder as it gives d fish mad weight strong and sturborn) the buyers are always asking my dad's manager that " Isaac shey u dy give DX ur fish ogogoro" another thing that works for DX biz is that buyers loves long fish with big heads. Then another thing I noticed is that u make ur complete money if ur fish weigh 1-2kg....the 2kg(big fish) buyers normally clear ur pond. I think d biz is interesting Buh u must be ready to make sacrifices Buh physically and materially....and op I must say for d past 4years my dad has been in dx biz we av not come across any juju buy Buh we av seen many dubious ones. Is either dy claim ur weight is not good or wheen dy find out u are not paying attention to them they steal fish. My own advise is if u know u are a young guy and u can't go thrru d financial stress of monitoring fish to 6 months d best thing u should do is learn how to hatch and sell fingerlings...I swear there is money there. And I also agree with d op. The best way to make ur money is by hatching urself ooo. In fact u will only run into lost if u are careless with ur handling of d fish. There ntn as good as hatching ur fish urself
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 10:01pm On Aug 24, 2017
atoleybaba:
aquafeed mixed with vita feed.....then d Ziegler we use the highest mm..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 10:02pm On Aug 24, 2017
cross234:
please who knw any store dt I can get digital PH tester in either Lagos, Abeokuta, Ilorin or Ibadan. pls I need it very urgently. thks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 10:04pm On Aug 24, 2017
Johnnyessence:
AFTER FEEDING THEM WITH CHICKEN LIVER IT WILL REDUCE THE PURCHASE OF 6MM FEED I DO FEED THEM WITH MULTI-FEED WITH CHICKEN LIVER.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Dank1u(m): 6:11am On Aug 25, 2017
robonski15:

You can try Agege.. Poultry support
. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 4:43pm On Aug 25, 2017

@kemi,
Each time I see your posts, I feel so so excited.
How are your fish doing? Is this your second breeding?

Can you rank/rate your feeds used so far?

For me, I've used durante, multi and aqua.
Durante is better than aqua which is better than multi.
In my nex breeding, i will stick to aqua cos its cheap and good compared to others.
Durante here is 5600 for 15kg, multi 5000, the aqua I bought is 4600. I don't know if the aqua is that cheap cos of where it was bought. My neighbour and colleague helped me buy it at ihiala. My fish eat the aqua as they eat durante.

My fish will be 4months by month end. I may sell when they finish this bag of feed or may add extra 1month for them.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 4:44pm On Aug 25, 2017
olubankemi:

oh yes, thank you very much. you guys give me much inspiration.

my fishes are doing well. this is my first.

i have not used Durante and Aqua before but i have used Multi feed.

i have used Zeigler, multi feed, vital and top feed.

Zeighler really gave them a faster growth rate before the guy who feeds my fish start giving them different feeds i never bought or asked for.

multi feed? i cant really say much about it as i dont see any significant change.

Vital and Top feed gave me immense result. my fish size doubled in two/three weeks i used top feed. maybe this result was also because i changed my fish feeder to someone else who feed them regularly and in the right quantity. top feed is sold for 4000 here in lag while vital is 4300.

i experienced minimal mortality. my fishes will be five months in two days. will sell them off soon. some are more than 1kg and some below that.

i will appreciate if you visit ooo. thank you dear.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 7:52am On Aug 26, 2017
robonski15:

Always treat your vat before spawning, wash first use salt, formalin, in fact i add a little quantity of iodestiryl in the water with the eggs.. there is a pro bio-tic artemia i saw at an agro store in atlanta which gives the fries resistance to diseases i am planning on trying it soonest.. Abeg carry on my boss i dey enjoy your updates.

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 8:02am On Aug 26, 2017
dkings101:
Vital feed = uac food
Top feed = flour mill nig plc

Soon dangote would introduce his own feed...this business is gaining ground, respect and exposure.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 8:28am On Aug 26, 2017
Tbagwell1:

It bulk sales, funny enough they average weight was btw 800gram - 1kg, those weighing 1.5kg above was sold @ 1200 but it was sold to a joint lady. Their is ds woman I have that usually buys fish from ibadan evey day a bus full of fish come to her place and she sells to d market women. They very big ones #17,250 per basin and each basin contains 25kg Dats like 690 per kg.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 8:33am On Aug 26, 2017
ab1x:

The length does not really matter in catfish business, what matter most is the weight. A fish that eat regularly (balance diet) weather the feed has maize or not will have weight. Too much maize/koko garri may reduce the amount of feeds they eat. Much a times, they eat the feed and go to the bottom of the water to vomit it thereby polluting the water. Just ensure they eat well and you give them the right local feed formula. In this part of the world that I am, 1.1KG is a small fish.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by haywire1: 12:10pm On Aug 26, 2017
Anybody with tanks for sale should contact me pls

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by anduai: 9:05pm On Aug 26, 2017
[quote author=chilanfarms post=58861961]For you tilapia fingerlings seeds contact us for urs.[/quot

What type of Tilapia, Red or Nile? My whatsapp number is 08033660812 Pls add me
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheyijide(m): 9:11am On Aug 27, 2017
Crisis alert!!!! I have almost lost more than halve of My post fingerlings stocked(3300), recorded morality is 1,400 as at this morning. Have been treating them with tetracycline, chlorophenicol and salt for the pass three days without feeding but I was told the issue might just be the water difference from where I got the fingerlings(Ipaja) and where my farm(Offin in ikorodu) is. Am planning to use a water test kit today to test the water and also restock later this week but getting the post fingerlings from a farm few km from my farm. Pls advice and contribution is need. AM WORRIED BUT NOT DISCOURAGE
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by opendo21(m): 10:02am On Aug 27, 2017
Catfish for sale ... Please call 08139650611
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 1:40pm On Aug 27, 2017
saheyijide:
Crisis alert!!!! I have almost lost more than halve of My post fingerlings stocked(3300), recorded morality is 1,400 as at this morning. Have been treating them with tetracycline, chlorophenicol and salt for the pass three days without feeding but I was told the issue might just be the water difference from where I got the fingerlings(Ipaja) and where my farm(Offin in ikorodu) is. Am planning to use a water test kit today to test the water and also restock later this week but getting the post fingerlings from a farm few km from my farm. Pls advice and contribution is need. AM WORRIED BUT NOT DISCOURAGE

Dont be did couraged its a learning process.. Test the water and give us feedback.. What type of pond are using??
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OmoOshodi(m): 5:21pm On Aug 27, 2017
Over Stressing of the fishes!!!
When transporting from far if you are not using oxygen filled bag... Then you must transport very early in the morning and make sure you get palm kernel (eyin ope) or red oil with you to reduce stress on your way.
Finally don't feed them 24hours when they arrive at ur pond. This will guarantee you 90% survivability

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nzeudo: 8:57pm On Aug 27, 2017
OmoOshodi:

Thanks alot
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nzeudo: 9:03pm On Aug 27, 2017
robonski15:

Dont be did couraged its a learning process.. Test the water and give us feedback.. What type of pond are using??
Oga robonski15 please do u know how possible it is for me to get my dried fish to UK ? A friend of mine visiting said it's not allowed at the airport but he buys them over there .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bilag17(m): 11:04pm On Aug 27, 2017
Nzeudo:

Oga robonski15 please do u know how possible it is for me to get my dried fish to UK ? A friend of mine visiting said it's not allowed at the airport but he buys them over there .
If the Dried fish meets export spec, and the quantity you carry is not above consumable set limit, you can carry it along. However, many don't want to carry because of excess baggage weight. You may look at the possibilities of using freight forwarders or NIPOST. Note that Dried fish with maggots or mould will be rejected at the Port of entry.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 1:12pm On Aug 28, 2017
OmoOshodi:
Over Stressing of the fishes!!!
When transporting from far if you are not using oxygen filled bag... Then you must transport very early in the morning and make sure you get palm kernel (eyin ope) or red oil with you to reduce stress on your way.
Finally don't feed them 24hours when they arrive at ur pond. This will guarantee you 90% survivability

Good one bro..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OmoOshodi(m): 1:43pm On Aug 28, 2017
robonski15:

Good one bro..
my oga I want to sincerely apologize I've not been contributing on this thread since 2013 that I've been following. I used to be a farm manager of a very large fish farm (over 80,000 capacity)in badagry since 2013 but now I've established my own....almost nothing is hidden to me when it comes to fish farming. Cheers
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by petitmonde(m): 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2017
robonski16:

My chairman firstly i have said it times without number that buying fingerlings/juvenile to melange is not feasible you hatch yourself, stock and sell the rest to buy feed.. more so spending #150 to get an average weight of 350grms after three months is NULL, their average weight should be half a kg that is 500grms, some farmers don't spend up to #150 in raising their melange.

500grms x 5000= 2500kg

2500kg x #400= 1million profit

#150 to raise one fish plus miscellaneous.... #150 x 5000= 750,000

#100,000,000 - #750,000 =#250k (net profit)

If you read my write up on melange i said 5000 to me is the least you can stock and you have to continue a cycle before harvest. you can be harvesting every month.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.