Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (442) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1490790 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (439) (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amadasunfarm(m): 3:10pm On May 12, 2018
Pleas am looking for experienced person who can supervise the construction of an earthen pond in benin city Edo state, contact .07037417113
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tosade01(m): 3:57pm On May 12, 2018
Good day fellow, Trust the rain was not too heavy(for those in Lagos).....I have 300kg of table size fish for sales at Akute, Oyeyemi/oremeji bus stop. Interested buyer to pchat me on zero703384541six. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Also for the farmers in Akute, Alagbole, Ajuwon, Ishaga, Yakoyo, Sabo and environs, you can now buy your Eco Float and Blue Crown at Shop 3, Arifanla Junction, beside Akute bridge , Akute, Ogun state.

There will be discount for First 3 customers from Nairaland.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 1:32am On May 13, 2018
abescom:
thanks for this bro. By no in number 3 do you mean I should expect more than 10%? I had roughly 20% in my current ( first ever) pond. Morality constitute less than 3% of that ( about 50 fishes died but total of about 600 of 3200 missing). Sorted at 3 months.

No there means... No tag on the percentage. It could be less, it could be higher. You have to do your best to minimize it as possible by starting with a healthy and uniform sized juvenile or - fingerling if you're a pro, next sort after the first month of stocking if you notice much size variation..otherwise sort about once every two months. Feed them well lest they start thinking of feeding on other things... You kno na. If you use locally formulated feed make sure the source is reliable There's quite a good number of garbage out there. Make sure the water is good always to avoid disease outbreak. Protect your pond from predators. If you use earthen pond do not expect to have accurate mortality record. Some fishes after being eaten by fellow party members the bony head only is left and it gets buried in the mud and subsequently decays...it could also be one party member completely swallowed another ...your missing fishes. Ask more if you wish to know I'll try to answer as much as I can

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 1:42am On May 13, 2018
aizy06:
Greetings to Robonski and all other blessed contributors in this forum that are selfless empowering people with knowledge on doing catfish farming correctly, may God bless you all.
I am am ardent but silent follower of this thread and I my case, I have a ready available pond (10ft*5ft*4ft), borehole and watercool lister generator in Benin City.
I have a capital of 300k and want to know how much quantity it can afford to groom till 5 months maturity, and possible referral to where I can buy healthy stocks to begin.
I will also update you all here often and solicit expert opinion, please.
Y'all keep up the good work and may God bless our efforts.
Attach yourself to a successful mentor visit farms and see how it goes learn and while you're learning you'll figure out how much feeds how many till whenever... My opinion from experience
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 10:32am On May 13, 2018
kingpaddysfarm:

Hi,

Could you please share what you learnt at the farm?

Hello.... Actually my emphasis is to visit other people's farms once in a while to learn new things, things we might be doing wrongly or what we could do differently. The way I used to do my sorting was quite different and not as effective as theirs. Now I have adopted it.
Pls I'm not saying this to teach us how to sort or new methods of sorting. I believe my point is clear now.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gspace1960(m): 10:34am On May 13, 2018
Contact Gspace Agro for ur durable galvanize movable tarpaulin ponds,that u cn even set up at ur landlord compound...07060523565

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dradejosh: 9:46pm On May 13, 2018
amadasunfarm:
Pleas am looking for experienced person who can supervise the construction of an earthen pond in benin city Edo state, contact .07037417113
call me 07038072892
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Bakerdav: 2:35pm On May 14, 2018
fisher777:

1. Maggots if readily available

2. Sort according to size, feed as necessary

3. No

Original vital feed can achive that....I am not advocating vital feed mind u.

First thing is to get good quality juveniles. Any low cost feed can substitute..... Otherwise formulate your feed
pls how much is kilo of fish in market now,I have 6month fish dat I want to sell nd if u know anyone interested in buying pls
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Bakerdav: 2:36pm On May 14, 2018
fisher777:

3. No

First thing is to get good quality juveniles. Any low cost feed can substitute..... Otherwise formulate your feed
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Bakerdav: 2:36pm On May 14, 2018
fisher777:

3. No

pls how much is kilo of fish in market now,I have 6month fish dat I want to sell nd if u know anyone interested in buying pls
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Bakerdav: 2:37pm On May 14, 2018
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Bakerdav: 2:38pm On May 14, 2018
Some r saying #700 nd some saying #600,pls I need urgent reply
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 3:04pm On May 14, 2018
Bakerdav:
Some r saying #700 nd some saying #600,pls I need urgent reply
Depends on your location and average weight of fish
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Bakerdav: 5:05pm On May 14, 2018
fisher777:

Depends on your location and average weight of fish
if it 2kg or below?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 8:18am On May 15, 2018
Bakerdav:
if it 2kg or below?
You need to locate other farmers in your area and find out the prevailing market price

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aizy06(m): 10:48am On May 15, 2018
@fisher777

Thanks bro. I will look out for some farmers around my locality to attach and learn more as you've suggested. God bless.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Itokky: 1:07pm On May 16, 2018
Thank you for your reply. Please what type do you use, I mean feed? How much per 15kg bag?
robonski15:

Price of Juveniles differ depends on location and quality.. there are good imported feeds out there which you can use for about two months before switching to formulated feed.. #150k to max #200k for feeding
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Itokky: 1:13pm On May 16, 2018
My farm is okay. Basically gone through the learning phase, started with 500, now selling.
bruzjay:

How's your farm
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 11:22pm On May 16, 2018
Please, who knows if there's any fish feed mill in port Harcourt and its environs?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aragon4realz(m): 1:36pm On May 17, 2018
good day all, pls can anyone suggest a way to cut down cost on feeding cos now am really lost, I sold my fish of 4months and I ended up lost 20k, 4months of toiling without any gain,pls if there is a way out there to cut down cost pls I need to know if you can't post it here you can text or what'sapp me on 08127403006 thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 5:16pm On May 17, 2018
aragon4realz:
good day all, pls can anyone suggest a way to cut down cost on feeding cos now am really lost, I sold my fish of 4months and I ended up lost 20k, 4months of toiling without any gain,pls if there is a way out there to cut down cost pls I need to know if you can't post it here you can text or what'sapp me on 08127403006 thank you
First step is to start with a good stock of seed...this you get from a reliable producer or you produce them yourself.

Next step is to make sure the environment of the fish is optimum....adequate biomass -,sorting and splitting reduces disease outbreaks, cannibalism and stunted growth due to overcrowding,- clean water, uniform/almost uniform sized fish, control exposure to sunlight and heat especially when they're still small . Another thing to consider is the feed you use. Be sure to start of with a good quality starter feed (those little guys need the best available start you can give as it will go a long way to determine your mortality and performance)....mind u they're usually expensive. Midway switch to a less cost feed and keep it so till they're ready for market... Alternatively, near to enter semi final you may switch to what some friends call local feed...but be sure you get it from a reliable source as there are quite some chaff out there. Also, If you can find a regular supply of adequate quantity of animal viscera or maggot you have won the lottery.

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aragon4realz(m): 6:05pm On May 17, 2018
fisher777:

First step is to start with a good stock of seed...this you get from a reliable producer or you produce them yourself.

Next step is to make sure the environment of the fish is optimum....adequate biomass -,sorting and splitting reduces disease outbreaks, cannibalism and stunted growth due to overcrowding,- clean water, uniform/almost uniform sized fish, control exposure to sunlight and heat especially when they're still small . Another thing to consider is the feed you use. Be sure to start of with a good quality starter feed (those little guys need the best available start you can give as it will go a long way to determine your mortality and performance)....mind u they're usually expensive. Midway switch to a less cost feed and keep it so till they're ready for market... Alternatively, near to enter semi final you may switch to what some friends call local feed...but be sure you get it from a reliable source as there are quite some chaff out there. Also, If you can find a regular supply of adequate quantity of animal viscera or maggot you have won the lottery.
I have almost 2months old fish are they due to switch to local feeds and which local feed will you suggest i use thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lasgidi4rv: 6:27pm On May 17, 2018
Hello fellow catfish farmer. How many did you end up with? I also started with 500.
Itokky:
My farm is okay. Basically gone through the learning phase, started with 500, now selling.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by babakk2(m): 6:29pm On May 17, 2018
Good evening house please I need any farmer in Osogbo that have fingerlings for sale I need it to stock my pond next week.
08034596524 Please I need a good breed and from a realible person.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 7:29am On May 18, 2018
aragon4realz:

I have almost 2months old fish are they due to switch to local feeds and which local feed will you suggest i use thanks

Which feed brand have you been using since you stocked?

What size of feed do they eat currently?

What is the average size (length, weight) of the fish?

Although you said they're almost two months old, did you stock as fingerlings, post fingerlings, or juveniles?

Do you plan to sell as table size or melange?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by novexme(m): 1:57pm On May 18, 2018
chilanfarms:
aerator is not the solution.... pls whenever ur fries are @ 2 going to 3weeks be very vigilant, this is a common phenomenon and its cos @ this period along of their organs are coming up n this use up a lot of oxygen in that water body. Apply chicken oil or palm oil on the water and ensure they r less crowded.

Bros when the oxygen level in the water is being used up rapidly, how would it be replenished when you cover it up with palm oil or chicken oil? you have rightly said the issue is a drop in oxygen, so isn't the solution an air pump to pump in more oxygen?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nukubii: 2:44pm On May 18, 2018
Available for sale at a give away price..Location is Ejigbo lagos, size is 10 by 10, contact me via Text(sms) on 08023880808 during work hours, but you can call during weekends.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aragon4realz(m): 3:15pm On May 18, 2018
fisher777:

Which feed brand have you been using since you stocked?

What size of feed do they eat currently?

What is the average size (length, weight) of the fish?

Although you said they're almost two months old, did you stock as fingerlings, posta fingerlings, or juveniles?

Do you plan to sell as table size or melange?

1. bluecrown from when they were 50g used coppens as a start till the turned 50g
2. I sorted...so my using 3 ponds now (12*12.) so 2sets are eating 4mm and the last is eating 3mm
3. average seize is 150gram
4. post fingerlings
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by novexme(m): 4:26pm On May 18, 2018
RESUN AERATOR PUMPS

It has Impact-resistant rubber diaphragm and valve.
a unique structure with good heat dissipation and very silent.
Noiseless.
very durable
also with High air output
Very low power consumption. same as a 40w, 60w or 100w bulb.
little or no maintenance cost.
Can be used for more than 1 fish pond.

Helps increase metabolism in fish, Feed conversion ratio(FCR), Fish growth, Reduces Fish Mortality and Increases Fish resistance to diseases.

ACCESSORIES INCLUDED:- Air Tubing, Elbow connectors, Tee connectors, Air Stones and 3 Air Splitters.

Delivery within 5 working days.
Widely used in fish farms, Shrimp farms, Oriental ponds, Aquaponics, hydroponics, sewage treatment plants and aquariums

8,400ltrs/hr 100w, aeration pump. comes with 100metres air tubing, 4,8,16 air splitter connectors, 10 (8cm) air stones, 10 tees, and elbows. Good for 5-8 (5000ltr upwards) ponds- N 115,000

4,200ltrs/hr 60w aeration pump.
comes with 100metres air tubing, 4,8,16 air splitter connectors, 10 (8cm)air stones, 10 tees and elbows. Good for 3-4 (5000ltr upwards) ponds- N 95,000

3,000ltrs/hr 40w aeration pump.
comes with 50metres air tubing, 4,8,16 air splitter connectors, 8 (8cm) air stones, 8 tees, and elbows. Good for 1-2 (5000ltr upwards or lower) ponds- N 80,000

Additional Air stone prices are as follows.
6cm -N1,800 each
8cm- N 2,000. Each
10cm- N 2,600. Each

Call deji for enquires 07036871939.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rapture007: 6:45pm On May 18, 2018
OmoOshodi:
well spoken
Please kindly send the manual on fish farming to me on fereyguy@yahoo.com
Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amba2017: 8:40pm On May 18, 2018
fisher777:
Please, who knows if there's any fish feed mill in port Harcourt and its environs?
road before GTB rumuokolo

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amba2017: 8:41pm On May 18, 2018
gspace1960:
Contact Gspace Agro for ur durable galvanize movable tarpaulin ponds,that u cn even set up at ur landlord compound...07060523565
location and price range pls

(1) (2) (3) ... (439) (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.