Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,344 members, 7,808,211 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

Top Quotes From Novels You've Read - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Top Quotes From Novels You've Read (16780 Views)

Best Books You've Read This Year? / Books By Chinua Achebe That You've Read? / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by babeface3: 7:25am On Jun 07, 2016
The world is Dachau and we are all Jews- Windmills of the Gods. Sydney Sheldon
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by uzolexis(f): 7:39am On Jun 07, 2016
"if one finger brought oil it soiled the others." Things fall apart
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by jjay28(m): 7:42am On Jun 07, 2016
uzolexis:
"if one finger brought oil it soiled the others." Things fall apart
Yeah,my favourite novel

1 Like

Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by ComputerOperato: 7:43am On Jun 07, 2016
Never get your flesh where you get your bread ...... Mafia Manager
Try and decipher what it means....
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by SirHenry105(m): 7:47am On Jun 07, 2016
"A man's biggest sex organ is his BRAIN!! and not that wobble thing you are swinging at me. Mark"
___Lisa Leslie . .

1 Like

Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by darlenese(f): 7:52am On Jun 07, 2016
"Its natural to have the larger part of the cake when sharing it "

I nor remember the novel o, I read it 20 years ago wink
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Adesiji77: 8:02am On Jun 07, 2016
Booked wink
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by sweetcocoa(f): 8:05am On Jun 07, 2016
Valon4ego:
i said something about Mat cauthon's epic quote on women, here it is (he just got separated from his wife and was travelling with some ladies that quite frustrated his life)
Lmao, are we really that bad? grin grin

I do fear women too you know, ain't no creature as deceitful.grin
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Nathkem01(m): 8:07am On Jun 07, 2016
"TH£ TRUTH REQUIRES NO APOLOGY" The mime order by .....samantha shannon
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by kalimera101: 8:09am On Jun 07, 2016
There are no such things as evil things, only evil men.

Ji Ning, Desolate Era.
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by kalimera101: 8:11am On Jun 07, 2016
See the world for what it is not what you want it to be.
The Dark Lord Saga: Blood Mage
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by sweetcocoa(f): 8:11am On Jun 07, 2016
Been a while I really read novels o.

24 hours is no longer enough to get things done in one day. Where did the time go?

Hmmm, life.

I miss it. cry
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by oyaskii(m): 8:14am On Jun 07, 2016
''Even God who created us has promised not to Judge us till the End of Days, So why Judge''...Dale Carnegie ''How to win Friends and Imfleunce People''
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by teelaw4life(m): 8:14am On Jun 07, 2016
"Youth can not know how age thinks and feels, but old men are guilty if they forget what it is to be young." Quote by Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

"For in dreams we enter a world that is entirely our own. Let them swim in the deepest ocean or glide over the highest cloud." Albus Dumnledore- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness. Nothing more." Albus Dumbledore - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living and above all, those who live without love." — Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." — Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." — Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

And lastly, one that can be related to the nigerian context and humanity at large:

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open." — Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

All quotes by Albus Dumbledore.

P.S in case you hadn't noticed, I'm a big potter fan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by kalimera101: 8:15am On Jun 07, 2016
Kindness is not something to be given on a whim, but something that requires careful thought.

See the world for what it is and not what you want it to be

The Dark Lord Saga: The Blood Mage
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Ranchhoddas: 8:18am On Jun 07, 2016
Luca Brasi did not fear the police, he did not fear society, he did not fear God, he did not fear hell, he did not fear or love his fellow man.But he had elected, he had chosen to fear and love Don Corleone...The Godfather
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Ranchhoddas: 8:28am On Jun 07, 2016
Always allow your friends underestimate your virtue and your enemies to overestimate your faults- Don Vito Corleone.
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by ifecttt(m): 8:33am On Jun 07, 2016
Vanity is a curious thing,
A man spends a fortune on clothes
Hoping that it would make someone wan to see him naked
THE PERFECT FOOL
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by LordIsaac(m): 8:41am On Jun 07, 2016
''It is praiseworthy to be brave, but sometimes, it is better to be a coward; we often stand in the compound of the coward to point at the ruins that used to be the house of the brave.''
Things Fall Apart.

1 Like

Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 8:48am On Jun 07, 2016
sweetcocoa:
Lmao, are we really that bad? grin grin

I do fear women too you know, ain't no creature as deceitful.grin
the guy's experience seems to imply so
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 9:00am On Jun 07, 2016
the bar man was worried because it was getting late. In fact it was getting so late that it was getting early

Terry Pratchett — Discworld
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by BossDanniee(m): 9:01am On Jun 07, 2016
He who brings Kolanut, brings life.
Since men have learnt to shoot without missing, I have learnt to fly without perching. - Things fall apart

2 Likes

Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by moneyallowed(m): 9:04am On Jun 07, 2016
"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."

“ Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. Please DO NOT TOUCH',the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

-------Terry Pratchett, Discworld

"Life before death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination"

“ It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time...The losses are what define a man's faith."

Sometimes the prize is not worth the costs. The means by which we achieve victory are as important as the victory itself."

---Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings, Mistborn

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-
death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

“This wise man observed that wealth is a tool of freedom. But the pursuit of wealth is the way to slavery.”

----- Frank Herbert, Dune

“What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.”

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."

-----George R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire

I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not.....Listen - I believe that people are perfectable, that knowledge is infinite, that the world is run by secret banking cartels and is visited by aliens on a regular basis, nice ones that look like wrinkled lemurs and bad ones who mutilate cattle and want our water and our women.......
I believe that all politicians are unprincipled crooks and I still believe that they are better than the alternative.
I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do....... I believe that anyone who says sex is overrated just hasn't done it properly. I believe that anyone who claims to know what's going on will lie about the little things too.
I believe in absolute honesty and sensible social lies...... I believe that life is a game, that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you're alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it."

--------Neil Gaiman, American Gods

“If you want to be a new man you have to stay in new places, and do new things, with people who never knew you before. If you go back to the same old ways, what else can you be but the same old person?”

“ I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them."

The fool strikes. The wise man smiles, and watches, and learns.Then strikes."
-----Joe Abercrombie, The First Law

“Everyone thinks that courage is about facing death without flinching. But almost anyone can do that. Almost anyone can hold their breath and not scream for as long as it takes to die. true courage is about facing life without flinching. I don't mean the times when the right path is hard, but glorious at the end. I'm talking about enduring the boredom, the messiness, and the inconvenience of doing what is right."
--------Robin Hobb, The Mad Ship

"Friendships take minutes to make, moments to break, years to repair "

"The measure of a man is what he does when he has power"
---Pierce Brown, Red Rising

" Only the fallen can rise again"

--------Steven Erikson, Malazan Book of the Fallen

And my personal favourite

"The personal, as everyone's so fucking fond of saying, is political. So if some idiot politician, some power player, tries to execute policies that harm you or those you care about, take it personally. Get angry. The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs, hardware and soft-. Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; the creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin. If you want justice, you will have to claw it from them. Make it personal. Do as much damage as you can. Get your message across. That way you stand a far better chance of being taken seriously next time. Of being considered dangerous. And make no mistake about this: being taken seriously, being considered dangerous, marks the difference – the only difference in their eyes – between players and little people. Players they will make deals with. Little people they liquidate. And time and again they cream your liquidation, your displacement,your torture and brutal execution with the ultimate insult that it's just business, it's politics, it's the way of the world, it's a tough life, and that it's nothing personal. Well, Bleep them. Make it personal."

-------Richard Morgan, Altered Carbon

1 Like

Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by oglalasioux(m): 9:09am On Jun 07, 2016
Monsters are part of Divine plan. In their horrible features the beauty of the creator is revealed.

Umberto Eco,
Name of the Rose.

Only rocks live forever.

James Michener,
Centennial.
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 9:39am On Jun 07, 2016
moneyallowed:
"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."

“ Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. Please DO NOT TOUCH',the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

-------Terry Pratchett, Discworld

"Life before death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination"

“ It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time...The losses are what define a man's faith."

Sometimes the prize is not worth the costs. The means by which we achieve victory are as important as the victory itself."

---Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings, Mistborn

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-
death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

“This wise man observed that wealth is a tool of freedom. But the pursuit of wealth is the way to slavery.”

----- Frank Herbert, Dune

“What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.”

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."

-----George R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire

I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not.....Listen - I believe that people are perfectable, that knowledge is infinite, that the world is run by secret banking cartels and is visited by aliens on a regular basis, nice ones that look like wrinkled lemurs and bad ones who mutilate cattle and want our water and our women.......
I believe that all politicians are unprincipled crooks and I still believe that they are better than the alternative.
I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do....... I believe that anyone who says sex is overrated just hasn't done it properly. I believe that anyone who claims to know what's going on will lie about the little things too.
I believe in absolute honesty and sensible social lies...... I believe that life is a game, that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you're alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it."

--------Neil Gaiman, American Gods

“If you want to be a new man you have to stay in new places, and do new things, with people who never knew you before. If you go back to the same old ways, what else can you be but the same old person?”

“ I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them."

The fool strikes. The wise man smiles, and watches, and learns.Then strikes."
-----Joe Abercrombie, The First Law

“Everyone thinks that courage is about facing death without flinching. But almost anyone can do that. Almost anyone can hold their breath and not scream for as long as it takes to die. true courage is about facing life without flinching. I don't mean the times when the right path is hard, but glorious at the end. I'm talking about enduring the boredom, the messiness, and the inconvenience of doing what is right."
--------Robin Hobb, The Mad Ship

"Friendships take minutes to make, moments to break, years to repair "

"The measure of a man is what he does when he has power"
---Pierce Brown, Red Rising

" Only the fallen can rise again"

--------Steven Erikson, Malazan Book of the Fallen

And my personal favourite

"The personal, as everyone's so fucking fond of saying, is political. So if some idiot politician, some power player, tries to execute policies that harm you or those you care about, take it personally. Get angry. The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs, hardware and soft-. Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; the creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin. If you want justice, you will have to claw it from them. Make it personal. Do as much damage as you can. Get your message across. That way you stand a far better chance of being taken seriously next time. Of being considered dangerous. And make no mistake about this: being taken seriously, being considered dangerous, marks the difference – the only difference in their eyes – between players and little people. Players they will make deals with. Little people they liquidate. And time and again they cream your liquidation, your displacement,your torture and brutal execution with the ultimate insult that it's just business, it's politics, it's the way of the world, it's a tough life, and that it's nothing personal. Well, Bleep them. Make it personal."

-------Richard Morgan, Altered Carbon

Nice one Bro. I've read all the books you mentioned except the last one. How good is the book?
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by moneyallowed(m): 9:47am On Jun 07, 2016
Valon4ego:

Nice one Bro. I've read all the books you mentioned except the last one. How good is the book?

Thanks. It's good, violent Sci-fi action, so if you like fights and lots of technical stuff then it's for you
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by drawingbook: 9:57am On Jun 07, 2016
A good man without talent may hurt you unknowingly but a terrible man with best talents will kill you intentionally. Both are equally dangerous.
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by geesilver(m): 10:04am On Jun 07, 2016
Valon4ego:
“If the world is ending,
a woman will want to
fix her hair. If the
world's ending, a
woman will take the
time to tell a man something he's done
wrong. -Matrim
Cauthon”
― Robert Jordan, The Wheel of time series
U sure say no be mugabe quotes be dis.
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by EzendukaHenry(m): 10:05am On Jun 07, 2016
Anything the mind can conceive it can achieve Napoleon Hill

1 Like

Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Kxke(m): 10:05am On Jun 07, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Luca Brasi did not fear the police, he did not fear society, he did not fear God, he did not fear hell, he did not fear or love his fellow man.But he had elected, he had chosen to fear and love Don Corleone...The Godfather

Mehn that statement really sent shivers down my spine.i developed goose pimples on the spot..such loyal niggas are as scarce as the teeth of a hen. The Godfather my all time best.
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by highsoar(m): 10:10am On Jun 07, 2016
From Romeo and Juliet by Williams Shakespear "The love of a manm lies not in his heart but in his eyes"
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 07, 2016
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold, mere anarchy is loosed upon the world - Chinua Achebe, Things fall apart.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Day I Died : April 14 / Crushed / Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.