Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:24 AM

Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? (27804 Views)

Catholic Church Cautions El-Rufai Over Religious Bill / Catholic Church Collapses In Enugu, Five Dead / Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? by misreal(m): 5:24pm On Dec 27, 2014
a church is where two or three people are gathered in the name of Jesus.therefore,church started in the upper room before and during the baptism of the holy ghost..does being the first church makes their doctrines and teachings factual
Re: Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? by italo: 6:52pm On Dec 27, 2014
Did Jesus tell you this?

Or it is a figment of your imagination?

misreal:
a church is where two or three people are gathered in the name of Jesus.therefore,church started in the upper room before and during the baptism of the holy ghost.
Re: Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? by misreal(m): 6:55pm On Dec 27, 2014
italo:
Did Jesus tell you this?

Or it is a figment of your imagination?

OK sir..keep looking for who is mother church while the self acclaimed mother church keeps leading people to hell with highly antichristical doctrines..

3 Likes

Re: Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? by italo: 1:59am On Dec 28, 2014
Figment of your imagination.

misreal:
OK sir..keep looking for who is mother church while the self acclaimed mother church keeps leading people to hell with highly antichristical doctrines..
Re: Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? by benbog: 11:29am On Sep 30, 2015
Every Christian believes that Jesus Christ established and sustains a community of faith, hope and love for all believers. This community we call His Church. The Church that Christ founded is the Catholic Church which has a formal earthly structure established by Christ and which continues under His authority and protection.

In the Old Testament we see God's continual involvement in the lives of the Israelites through appointed prophets. God delivered, instructed and admonished the Israelites. He made His motions in a visible, specific and formal way. He always did so through human hands, mouths, feet, minds and wills. God established a law and a means for executing it.

In concert with His redemptive act, Jesus did three things that established the framework of His Church. First, He chose humans to carry out His work. He appointed Peter to be the visible head of the Church. Jesus said to Peter, "You are Rock and on this rock I will build my Church." (Matthew 16: 18) Jesus said "build," as in to create a structure. Jesus built His structure on specifically chosen human beings Peter and the apostles.

Second, Jesus gave Peter and the apostles the power and authority to carry out His work. "Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven."(Matthew 16:19; 18:18) "Receive the Holy Spirit, whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven, whose sins you retain, they are retained."(John 20:23)

Third, Jesus gave Peter and the apostles commands as to what that work should be. At the last supper, He commanded, "Do this in memory of Me." (Luke 22:19) He commanded them to "Make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 28:19), and to "Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15)

The early Church was structured in a hierarchical manner as it is today. We see in Acts, chapter 15 how the apostles and the elders came together under the leadership of St. Peter to decide the question of what was required of Gentiles. We also see how St. Peter was regarded as the head of the Church when St. Paul, "Went up to Jerusalem to confer with Kephas [Peter] and remained with him fifteen days." (Galatians 1:18) There is no Scriptural evidence of independent local churches.

The Catholic Church is the only church that can claim to have been founded by Christ personally. Every other church traces its lineage back to a mere human person such as Martin Luther or John Wesley. The Catholic Church can trace its lineage back to Jesus Christ who appointed St. Peter as the first pope. This line of popes has continued unbroken for almost 2,000 years.

God rules, instructs and sanctifies His people through His Church. Under her teaching office, the Catholic Church preserves the Word of God. She is the custodian, keeper, dispenser and interpreter of teachings of Christ. And she accomplishes this under the protection of the Holy Spirit.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? by Anas09: 5:21pm On Sep 30, 2015
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. This is canality at its peak. The first and the last church. Why is that important?
I think the question here shd be, which (supposed) christian gathering had a name first? Even then, they were the Asian Churches with names.
Or are the Catholics trying to say that those weren't churches untill the RCC was formed in the 4th century AD?
Besides, pls the Cathics shd do a little research abt the Coptic church. It happened to be the church that continued with the Apostles creed, not tainted by the Idolatry of the RCC till date.
Satan is decieving u guys. Beside what has salvation got to do with first or last church. The C. Church takes a stand to flaunt all the teachings of the Bible. And Paul warns believers to look for them who bring division and stay away from them. He says, even if an angel from heaven preaches a different gospel from the one that has been preached before, he says we shd not receive the angel and let the person be acursed. Gal 1:8
The Catholic church negates the teachings of the Bible. Just wait, wen u meet ur creator, He will ask you which you attended rather than, "I said thou shall not steal, did you steal?, thou shall not lie, did you lie? Thou shall not commit adultry and fornication did you commit? Look at Europe that Catholic Church held with an iron grip, they killed almost everyone who read the Bible. How far today? Europe is an Atheist continent, clap hands for urself. That's what satan wanted, lock Christianity up in Rome, hide the Word of eternal life from the people, later theywill be faced with so much questions, without the Holy spirit for direction, they will deny God's existence. Sorry Satan failed, u can't imprison the Spirit.
Wait, hold unto the first church, soon U'll meet ur God.
Re: Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? by myproperty(m): 11:11pm On Sep 30, 2015
Anas09:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. This is canality at its peak. The first and the last church. Why is that important?
I think the question here shd be, which (supposed) christian gathering had a name first? Even then, they were the Asian Churches with names.
Or are the Catholics trying to say that those weren't churches untill the RCC was formed in the 4th century AD?
Besides, pls the Cathics shd do a little research abt the Coptic church. It happened to be the church that continued with the Apostles creed, not tainted by the Idolatry of the RCC till date.
Satan is decieving u guys. Beside what has salvation got to do with first or last church. The C. Church takes a stand to flaunt all the teachings of the Bible. And Paul warns believers to look for them who bring division and stay away from them. He says, even if an angel from heaven preaches a different gospel from the one that has been preached before, he says we shd not receive the angel and let the person be acursed. Gal 1:8
The Catholic church negates the teachings of the Bible. Just wait, wen u meet ur creator, He will ask you which you attended rather than, "I said thou shall not steal, did you steal?, thou shall not lie, did you lie? Thou shall not commit adultry and fornication did you commit? Look at Europe that Catholic Church held with an iron grip, they killed almost everyone who read the Bible. How far today? Europe is an Atheist continent, clap hands for urself. That's what satan wanted, lock Christianity up in Rome, hide the Word of eternal life from the people, later theywill be faced with so much questions, without the Holy spirit for direction, they will deny God's existence. Sorry Satan failed, u can't imprison the Spirit.
Thanks for your post.
The early churches according to the bible where in Asia whereas the RCC started in Rome;
revelation chapter 2 and three named the early churches as follows:
1. Church of Ephesus 2. Church in Smyrna 3.Church in Pergamum 4.church in Thyatira 5. Church in Sardis 6. Church in philadelphia 7. Church in Laodecia. Those were the seven early churches. Mind you the early churches were named in reference to where it was located.
In fact the Catholic church was the first politically inclined church.
Funny but yet the truth, the Catholic church as a body and Catholic faithfuls would never quote the Bible to defend salient issues
Re: Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? by Anas09: 10:02pm On Oct 02, 2015
Don't mind these people. Infact, I need to know why the Catholic church was killing other Christians, whose only sin was reading the Bible for themselves.
Oh the evil of the Catholic Church. When I read "The Great Controversy" I Wept. Practical satanic agenda to silence Christianity.
I was raised a Catholic. I never saw a Bible in our home, only my Dad who is a Knight has a missal. He never opens it only in church on Sunday.
Absolutely no godliness there. When u hear them say "The Church" don't asume they r referring to the body of Christ No. "The church is a cult.
Wen u start a discussion wif a Catholic, bring in Scriptures and see the reaction.
Re: Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? by orisa37: 11:02pm On Oct 03, 2015
Please explain well to us your understanding of CHURCH and CATHOLICS. Let us agree on the scripture meanings of these two words before we proceed to answer the main question.
Re: Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? by oyadanoz: 11:31pm On Oct 03, 2015
engrtee:
If catholic isnt first church, then which is first church

the 7 churches paul wrot letters to were they chatolic. they clame peter was first bishob in chatolic. peter died an apostle not bishob. i dont know while africans are being desieved by white doctrines wen the bible is there.
Re: Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:20am On Oct 04, 2015
Anas09:

lol,

go back and study.

I know of the Coptic church very well, they were previously Catholics that is the church of st mark and st cyril, the coptic see was ranked second after the see of Rome. They broke away in the council of Chalcedon, their patriach Descorus said Jesus has only one nature and was anatimized by the council of chalcedon foe heresy! The coptic church then broke away. The heresy they taught is called the monophtye heresy.

They are also alike to Catholics in many things, they have images in their churches, they honour mary, they have bishops priests and deacon, call mary bearer of God, ever virgin... They have sacraments which they call mysteries.

The see of alexandria was founded by a companion of st Peter i.e st mark. The see of Rome was founded by Peter himself.

Both the Catholic church and the Coptic church use the apostles creed and the nicean-constantinople creed.

What are u talking about?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sunday Mbang Is Dead (Methodist Prelate-emeritus Dies At 86) / Shiloh 2015 Live Update / Spell To Change Your Eye Color

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.