Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,204 members, 7,807,684 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant (28328 Views)

Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) / Oga At The Top: NSCDC Defends Obafaiye / Reasons Why "My Oga At The Top" Jokes Must Stop. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by Dospix(m): 9:05pm On Apr 01, 2013
‘My Oga at the Top’: Adesuyi replaces Shem as Lagos Commandant

Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps, NSCDC, has finally replaced Mr. Obafaiye Shem, the man who postulated the “my oga at the top” mantra, as commandant of Lagos State Command. He was replaced by Mr. Adesuyi Clement from Oyo State Command.

The Commandant General of NSCDC, Dr. Olu Abolurin, who was in Lagos weekend over the alleged killing of two of his officers by some policemen, introduced the new Commandant to journalists.

However, he did not give reasons for Obafaye’s removal but sources hinted that it may not be unconnected with his recent interview on Channels Television live programme.

Before now, authorities of NSCDC have denied taking any disciplinary action against Mr. Shem over the said interview. Their reaction followed claims that Shem had been sacked on the orders of the Minister of Interior, who supervises the NSCDC.

Shem’s ordeal started when he appeared on Channels Television morning programme ‘Sunrise’ and when asked the NSCDC website he said:

“Hmmm, the website is, excuse me, my Oga at the top knows the website”. He again, cleared his throat and said: “My Oga at the top is working on the website and I don’t have them”.

When the presenters insisted that he give a functioning website address of the para-military outfit, he dropped the bombshell: “ww.nscdc, that’s all”.

Immediately, the interview went viral and has become so popular to the extent that t-shirts with “my oga at the top” insignia has been produced and selling like hot cake across the country, even as some DJs and musicians have done what they called a remix of the phrase.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/my-oga-at-the-top-adesuyi-replaces-shem-as-lagos-commandant/

This situation is a warning signal to all public office holders, that they shouldn't always wait for their "oga at the top" to detect what happens next...so sad that the "oga at the top" he highly and respectfully spoke about eventually sent him packing.My condolence sir.
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by eyenCalabar(m): 9:14pm On Apr 01, 2013
Finally! Why nah? Who is even better [let me not use perfect] in this country sef starting from our No.1? This is not fair pls.
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by Dospix(m): 9:23pm On Apr 01, 2013
eyenCalabar: Finally! Why nah? Who is even better [let me not use perfect] in this country sef starting from our No.1? This is not fair pls.
i really feel sorry for him.

1 Like

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by dayokanu(m): 4:15am On Apr 02, 2013
Did they get permission from his "Oga at the top" before sacking him?

7 Likes

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by splashbaby(m): 4:26am On Apr 02, 2013
una see wetin people don cause now.

3 Likes

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by Nobody: 6:03am On Apr 02, 2013
Shame on NSCDC (pun intended)
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:24am On Apr 02, 2013
Not cool.
No matter wot people say, i'll still maintain those presenters were fools.

29 Likes

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by sammyzacks(m): 6:49am On Apr 02, 2013
Its a good move . After the psychological trauma he has gone through following the channels interview, a change of environment is a good idea.

3 Likes

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by Dospix(m): 7:09am On Apr 02, 2013
dayokanu: Did they get permission from his "Oga at the top" before sacking him?
I don't know if they did.
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by Soskid(m): 7:14am On Apr 02, 2013
His Oga at d top eventually sent him packing! 9ja, i hail thee
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by hadizadeezy(f): 7:39am On Apr 02, 2013
BIG LIE!!!wats so special abt him nt knowin d website.....wat abt dos senators and ambassadorssss dat dey wia teachin d national anthem.....u guys shld wake up plssss

6 Likes

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by Mustay(m): 10:28am On Apr 02, 2013
If successful companies and institutions were built on sentiments, they wouldn't have got to the apex of success.

I've read so many analyses on this issue but whilst we can't force opinions on each other, I still belong to the school of thought that Mr. Shem messed up his organization big time! Blame my business background but sincerely writing, my objective and unbiased assessment of the show was the Value For Money he gave not to the public.

There are 2 cases that come to mind - a US journalist was mocked for asking silly questions (had Mo'Farah run before she asked) when she interviewed Mo' Farah (Britain's Olympian). She didn't know he was an Olympian because she did not do her homework before she went out. Mo later defended La Tonya for the MISTAKE.

The second is IBM sparing an employee for costing the organisation $600,000. Tom Watson said, "No, I just spent $600,000 training him. Why would I want somebody to hire his experience?"
[https://www.nairaland.com/1242514/should-employee-fired-mistake]

We all make mistakes, we are not perfect but in performance management, merit takes over sentiments. Mr. Shem is a public officer. Those who get to the post where he was don't get there by just jumping there - they earn it. In light of the fake recruitment websites cloning NSCDC as an organisation, this must have been a problem to the NSCDC. This means it must have been brought to the attention of the top hierarchy of the NSCDC.

When you visit the Job board here on NL, you can't but pity those who have been duped by fraudsters. When others tell them a recruiter is fake, they pray for such a person. Some, even reveal that they had already parted with their money and bought new shoes and clothes for some phantom interview/tests.

Are we thinking about how NSCDC is losing money to fraudsters? Are we thinking of those stakeholders who really wanted NSCDC to clarify things? This is no small issue you can wave with the hand. Fraudsters are also stepping up their game.

Mr. Shem needn't be a PRO to know the AUTHENTIC website of NSCDC. However, where I would've been sentimental is if he did not insist on his 'gra gra' with the journalists - I also don't see how the journalists forced him to say all he said. Keywords - humility and pride. Ignorance and arrogance is a terrible mix - Mr. Shem poured these into his cup.

Leadership is not easy but there's a reason why the cap is given to those it fits the most. Lessons can be learnt from all and sundry - if a greater % of Nigerians took their jobs seriously, we won't be where we are now.

"Follow excellence and success will chase you pants down!"©

95 Likes

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by santakris(m): 10:37am On Apr 02, 2013
Right step on d right direction.

1 Like

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by ubongutioh(m): 11:00am On Apr 02, 2013
When he wasn't sacked 9ja complained that such an incompetent man should be sacked, some even requested the man to humbly resigned. NSCDC have finally sacked him, the same people are complaining that he should not have been sacked!!! I think they should have just sent the man for IT training.

1 Like

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by Dospix(m): 11:05am On Apr 02, 2013
Some individuals use interview section as an opportunity to display to the world how vast and competent they are; but for oga shem, the reverse was the case.

1 Like

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by Dospix(m): 11:23am On Apr 02, 2013
Mustay: If successful companies and institutions were built on sentiments, they wouldn't have got to where the apex of success.

I've read so many analyses on this issue bit whilst we can't force opinions on each other, I still belong to the school of thought that Mr. Shem messed up his organization big time! Blame my business background but sincerely writing, my objective and unbiased assessment of the show was the Value For Money he gave not to the public.

There are 2 cases that come to mind - a US journalist was mocked for asking silly questions (had Mo'Farah run before she asked) when she interviewed Mo' Farah (Britain's Olympic). She didn't know he was an Olympian because she did not do her homework before she went out. Mo later defended La Tonya for the MISTAKE.

The second is IBM sparing an employee for costing the organisation $600,000. Tom Watson said, "No, I just spent $600,000 training him. Why would I want somebody to hire his experience?"
[https://www.nairaland.com/1242514/should-employee-fired-mistake]

We all make mistakes, we are not perfect but in performance management, merit takes over sentiments. Mr. Shem is a public officer. Those who get to the post where he was don't get there by just jumping there - they earn it. In light of the fake recruitment websites cloning NSCDC as an organisation, this must have been a problem to the NSCDC. This means it must have been brought to the attention of the top hierarchy of the NSCDC.

When you visit the Job board here on NL, you can't but pity those who have been duped by fraudsters. When others tell them a recruiter is fake, they pray for such a person. Some, even reveal that they had already parted with their money and bought new shoes and clothes for some phantom interview/tests.

Are we thinking about how NSCDC is losing money to fraudsters? Are we thinking of those stakeholders who really wanted NSCDC to clarify things? This is no small issue you can wave with the hand. Fraudsters are also stepping up their game.

Mr. Shem needn't be a PRO to know the AUTHENTIC website of NSCDC. However, where I would've been sentimental is if he did not insist on his 'gra gra' with the journalists - I also don't see how the journalists forced him to say all he said. Keywords - humility and pride. Ignorance and arrogance is a terrible mix - Mr. Shem poured these into his cup.

Leadership is not easy but there's a reason why the cap is given to those it fits the most. Lessons can be learnt from all and sundry - if a greater % of Nigerians took their jobs seriously, we won't be where we are now.

"Follow excellence and success will chase you pants down!"©

His gra gra attitude led him to ruin; why answer a question you have no idea about,why not just tell them that he doesn't know the address to Nscdc website...this goes along way to tell us that it is better to fail honorably than attempting what you know you don't know.

3 Likes

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by dridowu: 11:53am On Apr 02, 2013
Life is dynamic, it can neva be static. So all d best Oga @ d top
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by creativemusic: 11:55am On Apr 02, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Gob bless My Oga at the Top ooooooooooooooooooo
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by Watzhup: 11:57am On Apr 02, 2013
I knew it will come to this. So sorry for the man.
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by echibuzor: 11:58am On Apr 02, 2013
My advice to him is that, He should go and Trademark the phrase now that he is probably Clueless and make some money from the Omo Ibo making Shirts like "No One In My City Got Swagger Like Me"... Lest I forget.. First Page tinz...

1 Like

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by Bobbo(m): 11:58am On Apr 02, 2013
Those channel presenters should celebrate now... There time will come.
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by ChiSun27(m): 11:58am On Apr 02, 2013
Soskid: His Oga at d top eventually sent him packing! 9ja, i hail thee

its 2 bad...d man no even pity am sef....upon sey him promote d oga well well....but kom 2 thnk of it who is above mistake?
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by greall1: 11:59am On Apr 02, 2013
i really pity for the man.Well that"s not the end of life for the man,What shall be Shall be
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by chizzyxyy: 12:01pm On Apr 02, 2013
I rep my oga at the top!! From senate lodge unn..
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by hadizadeezy(f): 12:01pm On Apr 02, 2013
ChiSun27:

its 2 bad...d man no even pity am sef....upon sey him promote d oga well well....but kom 2 thnk of it who is above mistake?
nobody is above mistake ooo ma broda.....and its nt enof reason 4 dem to eradicate him jst like dat

1 Like

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by echibuzor: 12:01pm On Apr 02, 2013
Bobbo: Those channel presenters should celebrate now... There time will come.

What exactly did the Presenters do? Last time I checked, They were doing There Job...

18 Likes

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by alfredo4u(m): 12:04pm On Apr 02, 2013
i blame nairalanders 4 dat. U guys escalated d stuff.

1 Like

Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by Drdaps(m): 12:04pm On Apr 02, 2013
I will like to make a comment but i'm afraid of my oga at the top coz he may sack me and said he has nothing to do with exploring Nairaland during my leisure time.
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by echibuzor: 12:06pm On Apr 02, 2013
alfredo4u: i blame nairalanders 4 dat. U guys escalated d stuff.

Actually, Its Twitter you should blame.....
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by adahib: 12:06pm On Apr 02, 2013
I knew it was going to get to this point.pity.too bad for him that his "oga at the top" bowed to public sentiments to get him replaced.i hope he was posted to another command where he can live out his remaining years in the agency quietly.
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by greall1: 12:07pm On Apr 02, 2013
not only nairaland what of Facebook.

alfredo4u: i blame nairalanders 4 dat. U guys escalated d stuff.
Re: My Oga At The Top: NSCDC Replaces Shem With Adesuyi As Lagos Commandant by ifyfaith: 12:07pm On Apr 02, 2013
I MET A MEMBER OF THE NSCDC A CERTAIN TIME AND HE COULD NOT MAKE A CORRECT SENTENCE,WHEN HE TRIED SPEAKING PIDGIN ENGLISH,HE COULDNT STILL MAKE ANY CORRECT SENTENCE DEN I JUST SHOOK MY HEAD, WELL DATS ALL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boko Haram Leader, Shekau, Releases Proof To Show He Wasn't Injured In Military / Edo LG Election Results: APC Wins In Seven Councils / Emefiele Has Weaponised The CBN - Femi Fani-Kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.