Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,724 members, 7,805,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

Health Benefits Of Catfish - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Benefits Of Catfish (30084 Views)

Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish / 10 Surprising Health Benefits Of Beer / Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health Benefits Of Catfish by ilelabola(m): 7:10am On Apr 02, 2013
Many people enjoy the flavor of catfish, but it offers a variety of health benefits as well. Including the nutritious fish in your diet helps you meet your protein needs and boosts your intake of vitamins and healthy fats and fatty acids. Consider catfish regularly in your meal planning.
Low in Calories and Fat

A 3-oz. serving of catfish introduces 122 calories and 6.1 g of fat into your diet. The low amount of calories in this fish make it a popular choice for a healthy meal plan -- women generally require approximately 300 to 500 calories per meal, and men need around 400 to 600 calories, so it fits in well and allows you to serve several healthy side dishes with it. The fat content is also relatively low, and little of it is saturated fat -- 2 g. Avoid consuming more than 16 to 22 g of saturated fat per day; too much in your diet can trigger health problems.

advertisement
Contains Healthy Fatty Acids

Eating catfish is a tasty way to boost your intake of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. One serving of this fish provides 220 mg of omega-3 fatty acids and 875 mg of omega-6. You will not find federal guidelines on the consumption of these fatty acids, although the American Heart Association suggests including fish in your diet several times each week to increase the amount of fatty acids you eat. Both of these nutrients play a part in heart and cognitive health.
Provides Complete Protein

The 15.6 g of protein in a serving of catfish provides you with all of the amino acids your body needs. This high-quality, complete protein helps your body build lean muscle mass, and it also helps improve the effectiveness of your immune function. You may also rely on protein to provide energy, especially if your body has used all of the carbohydrates you have eaten for fuel.
Source of Vitamin B-12

Consume a serving of catfish, and you take in 40 percent of the daily recommended intake of vitamin B-12. As a B vitamin, the vitamin B-12 in catfish is critical to aiding your body in the breakdown of the foods you eat into usable energy, but this vitamin has other functions as well. Without enough vitamin B-12 in your diet, your nerve function suffers, and you might become lethargic.
Low in Mercury

Almost all fish contains mercury, a contaminant that may impact your nervous system, but you may safely eat catfish unless the waters in which it is caught are particularly high in mercury. The Environmental Protection Agency lists catfish as one of the mostly commonly consumed, low-mercury fish. Despite this, limiting your consumption of fish to 12 oz. per week is recommended to decrease your exposure. This is especially important if you are pregnant, since high levels of mercury may harm your fetus.www.facebook.com/basicknowledgeandwisdom
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by uboma(m): 9:43am On Apr 02, 2013
Catfish is my favourite delicacy every weekend.
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by amme1(m): 12:20pm On Apr 02, 2013
i just like catfish, simply d best
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by justscorch: 12:20pm On Apr 02, 2013
U just dey talk plenty,all I got was mercury this,protein that,break am down biko,will it make me smarter or make my oko larger? Op u r mad

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by Odunharry(m): 12:23pm On Apr 02, 2013
@justscorch:
U just dey talk plenty,all I got was mercury this,protein that,break am down biko,will it make me smarter or make my oko larger? Op u r mad
lol
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by drlizzy(f): 12:25pm On Apr 02, 2013
Thanks
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by Oyetboy(m): 12:25pm On Apr 02, 2013
I h8 dat fish...*disgusting*
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by yuzedo: 12:26pm On Apr 02, 2013
Huh? Op, you mean i shoud it pussycat fish?? undecided angry
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by suxes2005(m): 12:27pm On Apr 02, 2013
Front page plz!
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by ezedolar: 12:27pm On Apr 02, 2013
Can not say yes or no because I have not eaten it befor
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by Watzhup: 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
Fish is generally better a better source of protein than meat.

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
Omo me na dry catfish with unripe plantain peppersoup...con use chill Lager push am down my oesophagus... wink

4 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by ezedolar: 12:30pm On Apr 02, 2013
suxes2005: Front page plz!
is it on back page befor
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by miqos02(m): 12:30pm On Apr 02, 2013
@justscorch:
U just dey talk plenty,all I got was mercury this,protein that,break am down biko,will it make me smarter or make my [b]oko [/b]larger? Op u r mad
you mean your penis?
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by ifyfaith: 12:30pm On Apr 02, 2013
TANX
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 02, 2013
#Team CatFish# cool
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by slimyem: 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2013
Not in my preference of fishes...undecided
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by uboma(m): 12:50pm On Apr 02, 2013
ezedolar: Can not say yes or no because I have not eaten it befor

try it and you will love it...
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by Bisjosh(f): 12:56pm On Apr 02, 2013
Omg!!!! Now I feel like taking catfish peppersoup cry

Must have it this night!
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by An0nimus: 1:12pm On Apr 02, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: Omo me na dry catfish with unripe plantain peppersoup...con use chill Lager push am down my oesophagus... wink
you be confirm PH boy cool
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by dedons: 1:19pm On Apr 02, 2013
I hate dat fish die

maybe na because i hate p*ssy
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 02, 2013
Catfish on its own is tasteless. Even after spicing it up, its less tasty than common scumbia, savida and chizoba .
I have eaten it boiled, in-soup, fried, barbacued ,no way.......
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 02, 2013
Na mammywater fish I like pass.

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by nitlad: 1:25pm On Apr 02, 2013
Nonsense! angry

Your talking about cat fish, and you can't even put up a picture of a sumptuous cat fish? undecided

Anyway shar, make I help you tongue

[img]http://afrolems.files./2012/07/cat-fish-peppersoup-nigerian-food.jpg[/img]

[img]http://thegreatwhitehunter.files./2009/12/ebro-cat3.jpg[/img]

5 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by ps5(m): 1:32pm On Apr 02, 2013
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by nikkyshyne(f): 1:33pm On Apr 02, 2013
I like cat fish. But I heard it isn't so healthy cox it is scaleless and can strive in dirty water. Fishes without scales attracts dirt and other bacteria to their skin.
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by Ishilove: 2:05pm On Apr 02, 2013
If you have marine spirits troubling you, it is advisable to stay away from catfish.

2 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by ninja4life(m): 2:12pm On Apr 02, 2013
All dis na advertisement wat abt sandine,panla,eja osan,kote and so on i dont know deir English name o btw why spend so high on catfish wen i can get above fish at lower price abeg free me fish contains more protein Dan meat not only catfish but if i get money i will go for iya sikira catfish peppersoup it sweet die
Re: Health Benefits Of Catfish by ninja4life(m): 2:14pm On Apr 02, 2013
Ishilove: If you have marine spirits troubling you, it is advisable to stay away from catfish.
why stay away from catfish cos of marine spirit is dere any correlation and so u believe all those fairy tales abt marine spirit and all those sort of rubbish abeg

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dr Uyi Iluobe Killed By His Patient's Relatives In Delta Hospital. NMA Cries Out / Nigerian Women Highest Consumers Of Skin-whitening Creams In Africa — CNN / Dying To Be Thin: Thousands Petition Youtube To Ban Anorexic Vlogger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.