Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,431 members, 7,800,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too (18147 Views)

Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords / Caution Fee! Landord's Acct Or Agents Account? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by momodub: 1:27pm On Apr 02, 2013
smileyyou will never be scammed in your village in city you need CID to rent house grin evry body oya to the village grin

2 Likes

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by momodub: 1:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
winknice one but ...why wiil i pay for Uncompleted building am i the landlord?
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by DICKtator: 1:30pm On Apr 02, 2013
or better yet, plan towards owing your house. You can achieve this in lieu of NHF and Primary Mortgage Institutions. Get that loan!!
grin grin grin grin
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by rajiade: 1:34pm On Apr 02, 2013
Very Informative. A perfect guide, especially for tenants in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by Watzhup: 1:37pm On Apr 02, 2013
Informative but desperation makes people forget all these rules.

2 Likes

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by Pimples(m): 1:48pm On Apr 02, 2013
Watzhup: Informative but desperation makes people forget all these rules.
Quite True

1 Like

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by chykeo1(m): 1:52pm On Apr 02, 2013
We need a better solution to this. Let me get back to you.
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by turawafett(f): 1:53pm On Apr 02, 2013
Good work Lawyer, based on experience on the job never pay for an uncompleted apartment and do not pay for an apartment that has a sitting tenant in it. Pay and park in immediately and take physical possession.

4 Likes

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by Nobody: 1:55pm On Apr 02, 2013
Watzhup: Informative but desperation makes people forget all these rules.
people will still brake the rule n be scammed
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by ochukoccna: 2:02pm On Apr 02, 2013
turawafett: Good work Lawyer, based on experience on the job never pay for an uncompleted apartment and do not pay for an apartment that has a sitting tenant in it. Pay and park in immediately and take physical possession.
Someone I know [my mom's junior cousin] is currently going through accommodation palava after failing to do the above
He's squatting with my mom while his wife and children are with her mom whilst his would-be-landlord has been telling him to hold on since early December
Pathetic embarassed embarassed
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by dedons: 2:05pm On Apr 02, 2013
Cunning man die...cunning man burial am
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by basadenet: 2:08pm On Apr 02, 2013
Very good information but i beg to disagree with your paragraph 1 & 5 respectively. it is not compulsory you get a lawyer involved, because that is not an assurance that all will be well, we have seen cases where lawyers too are culpable. so getting a lawyer should be an optional thing but not compulsory. 2.you advise that a prospective tenant should not pay in full for an uncompleted building, i also disagree because it is this same money in question that will be use for the completion of the building, so if half or part is paid, the building might not be completed as planned. All the same thanks for the info.

1 Like

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by yuzedo: 2:11pm On Apr 02, 2013
momodub: smileyyou will never be scammed in your village in city you need CID to rent house grin evry body oya to the village grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by pinkygb: 2:22pm On Apr 02, 2013
Meet the Landlord, the house was completed but gave the landlord a week to get the key and still got duped. Took me over 4 months to nab the landlord and still havent collected all my money ( even after involving SFU). Take all the neccesary steps which would reduce your being duped but still keep your eyes open.
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by alfredo4u(m): 2:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
r they a learner?
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by jmichael(m): 2:31pm On Apr 02, 2013
basadenet: Very good information but i beg to disagree with your paragraph 1 & 5 respectively. it is not compulsory you get a lawyer involved, because that is not an assurance that all will be well, we have seen cases where lawyers too are culpable. so getting a lawyer should be an optional thing but not compulsory. 2.you advise that a prospective tenant should not pay in full for an uncompleted building, i also disagree because it is this same money in question that will be use for the completion of the building, so if half or part is paid, the building might not be completed as planned. All the same thanks for the info.

I sincerely wonder if u tink u r wiser dan king solomon to ignore d importance of a lawyer. D OP has pointed out all d pitfalls (in ideal situations) and ua here pickin holes in his essay. Weda u use a lawyer or nt or weda u pay in full or nt, one tin is important...akonuche!!! So as to avoid ...had I known.

7 Likes

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by tomakint: 2:50pm On Apr 02, 2013
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by jhydebaba(m): 2:52pm On Apr 02, 2013
Na wah!!! Lawyer sef dey take style advertise him job. Good tip sha, I tell u, if u really need house, u'll forget those tips and count on luck/prayer.

1 Like

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by basadenet: 2:56pm On Apr 02, 2013
jmichael:

I sincerely wonder if u tink u r wiser dan king solomon to ignore d importance of a lawyer. D OP has pointed out all d pitfalls (in ideal situations) and ua here pickin holes in his essay. Weda u use a lawyer or nt or weda u pay in full or nt, one tin is important...akonuche!!! So as to avoid ...had I known.

i am not picking any hole in his assertion here, but merely expressing my personal views which is not binding on anybody including you. But remember with all precautions in place, somebody can still be a victim, that's why most businesses or plans with foolproof feasibility study still fail.
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by bornosheikh: 3:23pm On Apr 02, 2013
Mba and Dudu Eko ile - Are you listening re: Lagos is a safe city...

“I stay in Mushin and at least three people have been killed in the area in the past one week. I decided to leave the area because it is not safe and my tenancy had already expired" shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by aieromon(m): 3:24pm On Apr 02, 2013
Point 8 is very valid. As a matter of fact,if possible,change the keys/locks immediately they are handed to you. Such keys can be duplicated and given to more than one person. I've seen a situation where an agent took someone to a house and tried to open the doors with his keys. Fortunately, the tenant knew he wasn't going to be available in the country for six months and changed all the locks as soon as he paid for the flat.

1 Like

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by Born2beRich1(m): 3:55pm On Apr 02, 2013
This is highly useful.

I have a friend that fell for all this agent scam wahala..

they have been in court ever since
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by Nobody: 4:04pm On Apr 02, 2013
I was once a victim in 2009,I rented a room,and parlour self-contain to the tune of 180000,never knew the man has rented it to 7 other prospective tenants. it was hell,I didn't recover a dime from the agent,cos he absconded.thank God I'm not married,it would have been worst.. I had to pay for another place,after squatting witha friend for like 3 months. Thank God,Rest is History now. I live in a bigger,and tushed place now.

1 Like

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by Morgan1092(m): 4:05pm On Apr 02, 2013
alfredo4u: r they A learner?
English
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by Morgan1092(m): 4:09pm On Apr 02, 2013
Nice post
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by Nobody: 4:21pm On Apr 02, 2013
lawyer:

Oga I hail ooo! Unfortunately i dont do Tenancy or Agency work so am not advertising anything here. Am just giving free advice on how to prevent people like yourself from being scammed in future based on my own personal experience and what i have read or heard from people over the years concerning this scourge. smiley

Also people saying stuffs like when desperation arises they will forget these rules are very wrong. If you read these rules and study them at heart, even if am talking Nonsense, you will remember 1 or 2 things i have said before parting away with your money. No matter the desperation you experience after reading this rules, i dont think you will want to shell out money to a landlord without knowing who he is or what he looks like. If such a person does that after reading this rules, he or she should expect no sympathy from anyone after that. Whats the essence of reading this rules?

People cannot continue to come on Nairaland everyday to joke and talk rubbish about romance or politics without learning 1 or 2 serious things from articles like this that can save your life and or protect your money. We are all victims of past experiences like this and the only thing we can do to make the world a better place is by helping each other to prevent such pitfalls in future.

Finally to my good friend that said Lawyers are not necessary when doing a search for a tenancy issue, please read properly what i wrote. I said a Lawyer is necessary to help you review past contracts, agreements, leases, power of attorney etc so as to help you confirm the genuineness of the owner. Lawyers too fall victim of shady landlords like this but when it comes to reviewing documents that relate with the Landlord or Agents, nobody is more equipped to do so other than Lawyers and i also wrote if you choose not to use the services of a Lawyer, there are 8 Do it Yourself tips to avoid being scammed.

Cheers

Nice one @OP....i learnt a lot from ds!

1 Like

Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by Milito: 4:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
Wow, nice post. Wt renting accomodation in Lagos, one needs all the advice & tips available.

I can't even imagine getting duped after using almost a year to save for a decent accomodation tht I can raise a family inside grin

People wicked for this life oh.
Re: Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too by Nobody: 5:19pm On Apr 02, 2013
My Mum Fell victim of this kind of scam somtim in 2003 in ikorodu. We were tenants in TOS benson estate (aka marwa estate) owutu, ikorodu. Our LandLord sold d house to aonther person who den gave my mum quit notice becos he desperately needed the house. According to him (the now 'new Landlord'), something or sombody was going to kill him if he does not move out fast from where he was to where we are (the appartment he jst bought). Since our rent had expired abt dt tym and we could nt renew it, my mum statd lookin for another apartment. My mum wx pregnant wt our last born xo we were desperate to move out b4 her due date of delivery. She paid for a new house (2 bedroom flat) arond benson bustop and she was even given d keys to d apartment. The day we went ther wt buckets and mop and brooms to wash the house (wt the sweet mind of moving-in the folowin day or next),the locks had been changed and the keys we were having couldn't open d doors both front nd back. It was like a film. Me, my mum, my yonger sis and bro were jst confused. My kid bro who was abt 5 years den was asking my mum why we were standing outside insteand of going in 2 waash d apartment. We went back home. My mum was jst confused but she styl had a feeln she got the wrong keys becos she and d agent came to d house and he opend d doors wt d keys and dat wx wen she assesd d palce b4 paying d rent for 2-years. The following day, she went to the agents office and there she met 3-men who had also been scamed wt the same apartment. The agent had collected rent frm about four tenants on d same apartment. My mum was the lastt person dat paid from them all. The soldier was d one who changed the keys wen he and 2 others were draging abt who the real tenant is. In all of these, the agents Phantom ofice wx locked and the agent wx no where to be found. To cut the long story short, that was haw my mum was duped of #175,000 back in 2003. That was wht made us relocate to ondo state till 2day.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ABUJA:CONSTRUCTION PROCESS OF TERRACE BUILDING BY MOORE / Fire Guts Female Hostel At UNIBEN (Video) / Preventive Measures When Buying Land In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.