Stats: 3,150,031 members, 7,807,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips (91461 Views)

Ican Past Question And Answer - Download / Common Interview Questions And What They Mean / Job Interview Questions And Excellent Sample Responses (2) (3) (4)

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Okdanny: 8:30am On Apr 04, 2013
:PThe interviewer is also online reading this stuff,,,,,,lol
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Masiya(m): 8:38am On Apr 04, 2013
Jarus: 10, Confidence is the rule of the game: To me – and this view is shared by many top executives I have discussed this subject with – confidence is the most important thing in an interview. It is not easy, you will shake in the first few minutes, but once you get your rhythm, you can dazzle. At entry level, they don’t expect you to know so much other than some basic things. So your composure is key.

A number of things fire you up – having good credentials give you some confidence as does preparing well. I have always mentioned being versatile, knowing one or two things beyond your discipline, as helpful in interviews. Mr. Niyi Yusuf, Accenture Nigeria CEO, confirms that in the interview he granted this blog.

However, the low point of interview is that it can also be subjective sometimes. I have a friend, a very brilliant dude, that stood his ground on a question in an interview. He was marked as being arrogant, I later got to know. Meanwhile, another set of interviewers can give that a positive, interpreting it as knowing one’s onions, the type of person they need, not some sheepish employee. Similarly, I have another friend that was asked what her core competencies are and she told them she didn’t know the meaning of core competencies. Yet, she came first in that interview (I came second).

On a final note, the above are just guides, which I have put together based on personal experience, experience of friends and colleagues, formal and informal interactions with experienced interviewers and executives. They are templates. One is not meant to be mechanical, but there is no harm in sitting down in front of your mirror and rehearsing how to go about responding to such questions, or simulating with a friend or brother in the room. Yes, I did that. And it was helpful.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by CrazyMan(m): 8:50am On Apr 04, 2013
Nice write up Jarus, I've learnt much.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by ecnei(f): 9:39am On Apr 04, 2013
thnks 9ce 1
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by peddy231(m): 12:05pm On Apr 04, 2013
Great Tips
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by kennydee05(m): 12:38pm On Apr 04, 2013
Abbey2sam:
And who told you its not copy and paste??
Copy and paste yours!!!
Must you always showcase your skill of rotten brain?

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by HARDDON: 2:02pm On Apr 04, 2013
Jarus: 4, Why should I hire you? : This is somehow related to the above. The answer to the above may also suffice, but in addition, you may add your strengths, your special skills. If I were to be on the hot seat, in addition to the above, I will add: I have been involved in a number of engagements in the past and I have never failed. From my primary school through university, through professional qualifying examinations, to the places I have worked in the past, I have been outstanding. I don’t believe your organization will be an exception. So if you hire me, I have no doubt that I will excel. Your organization cannot be an exception.

5, What are your strengths? This may not be the success decider because truth is, everybody, including your competitors for the job, will always have something good to say about himself. So common answers to this include: I am a fast learner; I am a team player; I have always exceled in all I do; etc. I don’t know of any stunner of a response other than these common answers. This question can also come as: what are your selling points? Also, depending on how you are able to maneuver, answer to question 4 above can also be modified as answer to ‘what are your selling points?’ too. It can also come as, what are your competencies?

6, What are your weaknesses? I remember an interview I did with an investment institution in late 2006, my first interview experience, just few weeks after finishing university. I had read a lot about interviews (that was basically what I spent the most of my final year doing) and known that you don’t say you don’t have any weakness. My response to that question was:

“Hmmnnn, a couple of people have told me I can be impatient while working with a team, especially with slow members. When two, three people say something, they may not wrong. So I think this is a weakness I am working on. In actual fact, the desire to achieve a team goal drives my impatience as I hate failure. But I have come to realize individual differences, especially in pace, and I’m beginning to adjust.”

Need I say, I saw the panel interviewers nodding their head sub-consciously. The basic principle in answering this kind of question is, don’t say you don’t have weakness, tell your weakness and make it known you are working on it. Also, ensure it’s a weakness that is tolerable. God help you if you say your weakness is sleeping on duty.

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by princeakins(m): 2:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
MERCI BOQUI... Dz is jux a consummate write up. Grt job well done... It definitely goin 2 go far. :DMERCI BOQUI... Dz is jux a consummate write up. Grt job well done... It definitely goin 2 go far.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by newloaded: 5:21pm On Apr 04, 2013
Best write up so far.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by excellentmomma(f): 4:02am On Apr 05, 2013
Nice one @ OP,
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by tomzman: 8:16am On Apr 05, 2013
By the powers conferred on me, I hereby award this thread the best, most educative and informative thread I have ever come across on NL. NL needs more of this kind of threads. Kudos Jarus.
@topic, as an emphasis, confidence is very key during an interview. Even if you don't know how to answer a particular question or you are not really the articulate type, your confidence would speak louder for you. Just make sure you are composed and flow along with the interviewers.
Once again, Kudos Jarus.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 05, 2013
More related articles are avaialble on www.jarushub.com
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Ellen0818: 1:50pm On Apr 05, 2013
[color=][/color][color=#990000][/color]Wow,this is great.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by adenath: 5:37pm On Apr 09, 2013
truely this will help those of us that are searching for job.i have been reading some interview questions and their answer but this is an exceptional.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by MissOpe(f): 8:19pm On Apr 09, 2013
pls how can u answer this usual question - what are You here for?
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by moneyhungry(m): 9:46pm On Apr 09, 2013
Miss Ope: pls how can u answer this usual question - what are You here for?
gud question.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by moneyhungry(m): 9:48pm On Apr 09, 2013
confidence is the key.
so you should answer with this sentence: "that is not why we are here" or "nor be that one carry us come here".
this will intrigue the interviewers, fetch you respect and you will get the job.
that is how i got my current job as a cleaner.
thank me later.
gudluck..... ebele?.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by MissOpe(f): 12:17am On Apr 10, 2013
money-hungry :

confidence is the key.
so you should answer this sentence: "that is not why we are here" or "nor be that one carry us come here".
this will intrigue the interviewers, fetch you respect and you will get the job.
that is how i got my current job as a cleaner.
thank me later.
gudluck..... ebele?.

Falls from the bed with laughter... No w u make my chest hurt...it's really not funny....

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Mustay(m): 2:50am On Apr 10, 2013

But seriously, don't you know why you were there ni? Abi na winch things u do reach there?
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by justsaypeter001(m): 8:48am On Apr 11, 2013
I love dis write up. May God bless you.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by kathybro: 2:32pm On Apr 11, 2013
info so gud.. kudos...
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by AmeerahFKI(f): 10:59am On Apr 13, 2013
Bookmarked + following smiley
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 16, 2013
Learning obviously never ends! Thx for the write-up.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by ninamyers: 1:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
@ Jarus, Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Jarus
i found this write up interesting and God sent, pls i need more tips. I will b attending my 1st job interview nxt wk and i'm shaking, what will they ask me? hw am i going to answer? present myself and all and what to expect. HELP! Thanks.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Ehimax(m): 4:53pm On Apr 18, 2013
Plz wat will be ur answer wen the interviewer who at the same time is the head of the dpt u applied for ask's u dis?

Question; Do you tink u can win me in a 100meters race?
I said yes 2 the man and am sure dat answer caused some damages
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 18, 2013
Ehimax: Plz wat will be ur answer wen the interviewer who at the same time is the head of the dpt u applied for ask's u dis?

Question; Do you tink u can win me in a 100meters race?
I said yes 2 the man and am sure dat answer caused some damages

Most interview questions don't have a global template. However, if I were in your shoes, I would answer like this:

***smile a little***

I'm a good sprinter, even if amateur. It's been a while I did that, but I think I should still have the skills. But you come across like a good sprinter as well. So until we get to the field, I may not be able to say.**end with a mild smile***

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Ehimax(m): 7:42pm On Apr 18, 2013
Jarus:

Most interview questions don't have a global template. However, if I were in your shoes, I would answer like this:

***smile a little***

I'm a good sprinter, even if amateur. It's been a while I did that, but I think I should still have the skills. But you come across like a good sprinter as well. So
until we get to the field, I may not be able to say.**end with a mild smile***

Hmmm not a bad 1 @ all. U need to see dis man's tommy even my mama go dust am.

He also asked if I can disclose the company's secrets @ gun point? Hw can dat b answered cos dat 1 trew me of balance

And I didn't understand y he kept staring @ me stright in the eye dat made me quite uncomfortable. embarassed
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Ehimax(m): 5:45pm On Apr 19, 2013
Hw will u react wen ur best results in a project don't please your boss?
Wats ur view abt life?
Plz hw do u answer these questions??
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by umohlee(m): 7:45pm On Apr 19, 2013
Thanks for the Info well share, it an eye opener for newbie lik me in the labour market. Pls I need a favour from you, am new in Nairaland and don't knw how to start a Topic or thread. Pls help me out with some tip on how to go about it.
Email: umoh2umoh@yahoo.com
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by anitank(f): 7:24pm On Apr 20, 2013
God bless the op, give u more years and expand ur horizons.

and why is this not on front page please
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 20, 2013
It had gone thru homepage

Know The Officer Ranking Of The Nigerian Army / What My Younger Brother Did With Car Tires (Photos) / Nigerian Police Salary Structure – How NPF Pay Officers