Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,540 members, 7,808,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography (2243 Views)

What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? / Want To Learn To Program In A New Language? / Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by Javanian: 12:43pm On Apr 03, 2013
After taking a picture, the overhead involved in displaying it on the screen is very complex and requires a large amount of processing operations. Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory have constructed a new Programming Language called Halide that stands for two things – first, it simplifies the process of writing Image Processing and Computational Photography Software and second, it’s designed to economize the use of mobile battery and processors while processing Images.
For a digital camera, transforming an Image onto screen to make it appear just like how human eye sees is not an easy task. There are certain processes that have to do a lot with capturing light, reading pixels to deduce the colors, Plus-Constant-Correction process so that the result is as similar to what human eye catches, explains GigaOM . And of course, more megapixel a camera has, more intense processes and more complex and lengthy algorithms are involved.
To rewrite the algorithms in this language, researchers have been able toaccelerate image processing up to threetimes and significantly with smaller code. In one case, Halide algorithm was actually pretty much longer than conventional MATLAB, but the Image Processing was 70x faster :
It is definitely an important step in as the web is becoming more and more visual. Halide is therefore an important programming language designed to make it easier to write short and clear image processing code on modern machines. Halide’s front end is an embedding in C++ and Hardware targets include x86-64/SSE, ARM v7/NEON, and CUDA.
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by Djtm(m): 7:49pm On Jul 19, 2013
These MIT guys are something else plus they are not our mates.
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by lordZOUGA(m): 7:53pm On Jul 19, 2013
Djtm: These MIT guys are something else plus they are not our mates.
no they are not. when you give a bunch of smart guys lots of money, they do awesome things
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by Djtm(m): 8:08pm On Jul 19, 2013
^ Yeah yeah, they are well funded plus they've been making stuffs work and not learning how it works (like we do here) from a tender age.
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by Javanian: 8:18pm On Jul 19, 2013
Djtm: ^ Yeah yeah, they are well funded plus they've been making stuffs work and not learning how it works (like we do here) from a tender age.

i disagree sir, they are a lot of smart people here, with very little funding i can build a team from Nairaland programming section that would do wonders...
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by Djtm(m): 8:24pm On Jul 19, 2013
^ I was talking on a general basis. They are the best engineering university in the world. Sure, we have talented peeps in Nigeria, but on average, those guys are not our mates!
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by Ajibel(m): 12:44pm On Jul 20, 2013
Mehn, provide me with fund, 24hrs light and a good internet connection dont bother about my feeding or bathing and i'd combine with my facebook/nairaland programming friends and take Naija places with my pals and our ideas. MIT by then would marvel
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by Djtm(m): 3:11pm On Jul 20, 2013
Ajibel: Mehn, provide me with fund, 24hrs light and a good internet connection dont bother about my feeding or bathing and i'd combine with my facebook/nairaland programming friends and take Naija places with my pals and our ideas. MIT by then would marvel

those are the greatest hindrances a programmer can encounter, and we have them in abundance in Nigeria
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by ooman(m): 4:46pm On Jul 20, 2013
wetting them do gen for u for?
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by Djtm(m): 5:01pm On Jul 20, 2013
How many hours do you want to run on Gen?
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by arronlee: 3:15am On Jul 26, 2013
Yup indeed. I have to admit the MIT guys are all not our mates. cheesy
Because as far as I know, I am only able to some image processing work using a 3rd party tool and do as its tutorials step by step. But I have never imagined that a new language canbe created for that.
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 27, 2013
arronlee: Yup indeed. I have to admit the MIT guys are all not our mates. cheesy
Because as far as I know, I am only able to some image processing work using a 3rd party tool and do as its tutorials step by step. But I have never imagined that a new language canbe created for that.

What are u saying? If u know about image processing and Digital Signal processing, and u know some very good programming and some language theory and u have access to the best algorithms outthere, u can create ur own image processing library or even a whole new programming language based on it. The problem is that we Nigerians neglect basic mathematics that is the foundation of all science and then find ourselves standing in awe of people who dont.
Re: Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography by uzoexcel(m): 10:49pm On Jun 29, 2014
signal processing is one horrible course grin grin grin
PhenomenonVFX:

What are u saying? If u know about image processing and Digital Signal processing, and u know some very good programming and some language theory and u have access to the best algorithms outthere, u can create ur own image processing library or even a whole new programming language based on it. The problem is that we Nigerians neglect basic mathematics that is the foundation of all science and then find ourselves standing in awe of people who dont.

(1) (Reply)

Data Science / 7 Useful Functions To Tighten The Security In Php / --theory: Geeks, Computer Hobbyists And Programmers Hardly Gets The Girl Quick?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.