Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,237 members, 7,780,463 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:55 PM

Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? (13539 Views)

Notable Signs That You Had A Good Or Bad Interview- What To Do Afterwards / How To Reply To Interview Invitation / Is It A Must You Wear A Suit To Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by hammedkola(m): 1:01pm On Apr 03, 2013
I used to wonder how one must prepare for a job interview, and this thought came to me that with the level of civilization, is it good or bad to take iPad or galaxy tab to an interview that worth it?
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by AdoOloro(m): 1:17pm On Apr 03, 2013
You can take your Laptop, or even your desktop together with your Dstv decoder. They enhance your chances of being selected!

Another good choice is your Power Bike. Picture below:

41 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by hammedkola(m): 2:28pm On Apr 03, 2013
I can't stop laughing , but On a more serious note what's your opinion ?
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by anticent(m): 3:22pm On Apr 03, 2013
Hmmmm...wetin we no go hear for Nigeria sef. What a question.

2 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by gparker: 6:42pm On Apr 03, 2013
Interesting topic,

I figure AdoOloro is being sarcastic. Well I'll share my personal experience with you, two weeks ago I had an interview with an oil & gas firm where I took my laptop with me (it's actually a notebook, the mini laptop). I took it along because it has my resume on it as well as a list of questions I've prepared for every interviewer I'll be meeting with. In addition to that I just feel it's tidier to go with soft copies rather than hard copies of such documents.

Well guess what? The feedback I later received from the company as well as the consulting firm responsible for the recruitment was disheartening,hilarious and annoying all at the same time. They felt bringing a laptop to the interview was unnecessary and it was also a minus for me. The recruitment firm pretty much berated me for doing so and asked why I carry a laptop to interviews (this particular interview was my 2nd with the firm and one of it's clients). I was even adviced to carry hardcopies of my resume and a diary to make notes during the interview.

Me, I just thought to myself these people are not serious oooo. In this age and time of information technology, if you can't see or understand why I brought the laptop or the necessity of having your documents together in one place and on soft copy which makes life easier then you shouldn't be in this line of business. I also felt they weren't a forward looking and up to par organization.

Is that going to stop me from taking my laptop to interviews HELL NO, because as far as I am concerned

1. The interview is a two way business conversation and if the laptop is a tool that will help or enable me conduct my own interview who are you to tell me otherwise. Moreover if people are comfortable carrying hard copies of documents everywhere they go I am not.

2. The only thing I would do differently next time regarding the laptop is that, I would inform the interviewer from the start that I plan to use my laptop during the course of the interview because it has my resume and list of questions on it. I won't even say it, as if I am asking for permission to use it. I will say it assertively like hey it's the IT age get with the programme cool.

3. I realized some time ago that I have some measure of control over the interview as an applicant so I no longer let people bullshit me in anyway ooo. Gone are the days when an interviewer will have the upper hand at my interviews I am so changing the game to make sure I walk away with a better deal than I've gotten in the past.

As you are assessing me to verify my suitability I am also assessing you to see if you are the sort of organization I want to align myself with. I am sick and tired of feeling cheated and being short changed by some of these naija employers.

Well I have since decided to severe my ties with that recruitement firm because not only was I disappointed I wasn't even given a chance to explain why I carry the laptop with me to interviews. I could have done that in writing via email but I felt this people would think I'm either being combative or making excuses so I didn't bother and having met with two of their clients so far I think I've had enough because the experience in both cases wasn't nice at all and I'll be damned if I put myself through that ever again with any interviewer.

In my first interview with a client of their's I was spoken down to by the client and basically belittled & ridiculed. In this second interview I was asked to come in at 11:45am but when I finally walked out of the building it was 2pm meanwhile I wasn't asked to take a written assessment, fill out any sort of paper work oooo. I thought this is crazy a mere oral interview shouldn't last this long.

Some employers don't have any qualms with wasting your time or failing to apologize for wasting your time. But if you as an applicant dare try that you would be called all sorts of names. We've sha suffered as applicants in this country, but me I have resolved to be change the way my interviews are conducted and how I am treated.

If I make any sense at all then like this post. LOL grin

41 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by AdoOloro(m): 7:27pm On Apr 03, 2013
I am able to figure out gparker and hammedkola are the same person. (diff account operated by one individual).

Like I advised, go to a job interview with something that will really help you at the interview. Something like a private jet to ease the difficulty of transportation and to avoid lateness.

Omo people like this still dey naija? I think say na me be the last one wen go wake up, not knowing...

4 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by hammedkola(m): 8:03pm On Apr 03, 2013
Thanks for your contribution "gparker"........Adeoloro for your info, ma 2nd act is Okonja .......you gat that?
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by gparker: 9:45pm On Apr 03, 2013
AdoOloro: I am able to figure out gparker and hammedkola are the same person. (diff account operated by one individual).

Like I advised, go to a job interview with something that will really help you at the interview. Something like a private jet to ease the difficulty of transportation and to avoid lateness.

Omo people like this still dey naija? I think say na me be the last one wen go wake up, not knowing...

Guy, you are honestly not making any sense here ooooo. What do you mean people like this still dey naija? How you figured out that hammedkola and I are the same person baffles me I'm still scratching my head on that one. Do we sound the same? And why on earth would someone create a thread only to register a new ID to write a long epistle like the one I did.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by darqly(m): 10:16pm On Apr 03, 2013
gparker...why do I find your story to be a lot of cock and plenty of bull?
You actually lug a laptop to interviews for ease of what....are you one of the panelists or the interviewee? Off my head, I can tell you a few CEOs who will usher you and your laptop out of the interview before you have time to power up grin
Keep it simple at any interview, that's all I can proffer. @Adooloro said it all, even if he wasn't diplomatic about it grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by naijacutee(f): 11:04pm On Apr 03, 2013
I disagree with @gparker.

Simply on the basis that carrying a soft copy of a CV does not make it easily presentable. Shareable (i.e via e-mail), yes. Presentable, no.

If it was an programming interview, and it was necessary for the candidate to show some programming skill, it's relevant. Other than that, it makes the candidate look a bit silly.

I understand that projecting a positive self-image during an interview is important, and we as a people often associate our ownership of gadgets with elevated status, but to be honest, if I was sitting on the other side of the table, a candidate who has brought a laptop to show me his CV would have completely missed the point because:

1. He should have sent me the CV beforehand (otherwise, on what basis have I selected him for this interview?)
2. Unless he is offering me the CV with a free laptop (after which I'll reject him on bribery grounds) then I don't see the point.
3. Carrying his laptop to the interview to read notes means that he has done no research whatsoever and is relying on his use of Google to pass a face-to-face interview? Lazy.

28 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by hammedkola(m): 12:49am On Apr 04, 2013
hammedkola: iPad or galaxy tab to an interview that worth it
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by naijacutee(f): 9:06am On Apr 04, 2013
Remember an interview is an opportunity to showcase yourself through your personality and knowledge. If what you're saying to the prospective employer is that you're worth nothing without a notebook, then that would be reflected in the employers response.

4 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Ebestsmscom: 10:36am On Apr 04, 2013
Also take your Startime decoder.

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Ebestsmscom: 10:38am On Apr 04, 2013
AdoOloro: You can take your Laptop, or even your desktop together with your Dstv decoder. They enhance your chances of being selected!

That serves him right.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by anticent(m): 10:40am On Apr 04, 2013
Many of the youth nowadays have bungled so much job opportunities to their jet age syndrome. Yes we are trendy and new,some of us use funky ringtones,tie and trousers with swags,laptops all to interviews but have you forgotten that these our parents that are oldskool are still the ones who conduct interviews into these companies. If I were you,just for the sake of that day,I would keep everything simple and stick to the norms of oldskool.

2 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by timpaker(m): 10:41am On Apr 04, 2013
Ipad and Galaxy tab to an interview?

are u going there to update your facebook status? undecided undecided

12 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by YOUNGKAHUNA: 10:42am On Apr 04, 2013
gparker: Interesting topic,

Wetin Bring This Long Epistle?

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by pespes: 10:43am On Apr 04, 2013
Taking a laptop to any interview unless you have been asked to do so is a NO-No......Most places will only ask you to bring a flash drive of yours for presentation

Even here in the UK, We don't have need to carry laptop/tablets because all you need at an interview is convincing with a conceptual view and not physical

My advice is: Please do not take a laptop to any interview either mini or not unless asked to do bring one , especially in Nigeria where minute things count

All the best with the job search

3 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by tellwisdom: 10:46am On Apr 04, 2013
You wan go browse for there?

2 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by obi123: 10:51am On Apr 04, 2013
AdoOloro: You can take your Laptop, or even your desktop together with your Dstv decoder. They enhance your chances of being selected!

Honestly you are a riot and a half true

Back to the topic, for what purpose exactly ? i wouldn't have thought there will be need for it unless to show something like a website you created or you wanted to give a visual to support one of your many skills then i say take it i beg, it wont take that much space anyway.

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by arantess: 10:52am On Apr 04, 2013
oh mehn i don taya
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by chinnyonwu(m): 10:55am On Apr 04, 2013
Anytime I go for interviews I always take my laptop, printer(for printing my CV), scanner (to get softcopy of any hardcopy files dey mite wanna give me) and of course my generator incase they don't have light.

30 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by obi123: 11:00am On Apr 04, 2013
chinnyonwu: Anytime I go for interviews I always take my laptop, printer(for printing my CV), scanner (to get softcopy of any hardcopy files dey mite wanna give me) and of course my generator incase they don't have light.

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as in eh , you guys kill me honestly
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 04, 2013
Last interview I conducted, I made it mandatory for all job hunters to come with the hardcopy of their names and a photocopying machine, just in case the hardcopy of their names needed to be photocopied.

2 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Artistree: 11:03am On Apr 04, 2013
Normally, interviews are conducted by 3 or more persons so I'll suggest you go with a projector instead 4 a wider view of your CV by d panel as a laptop would be 2small.

11 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Revolva(m): 11:05am On Apr 04, 2013
Even sef carry your PSP or PS3 go interview!! Tshew!!! So you wanna show the firm you are a big boy..flaunting ipads or iphone5 ..u dey cast your self..why dem go give you work

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by cecegorz(m): 11:11am On Apr 04, 2013
hammedkola: I used to wonder how one must prepare for a job interview, and this thought came to me that with the level of civilization, is it good or bad to take iPad or galaxy tab to an interview that worth it?
Absolutely yes, especially if you have a presentation to make with it.
Probably you are a coder and you needed to show some of your works.
Anything other than this, please drop it at the reception.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by dansmog(m): 11:13am On Apr 04, 2013
yes! .................. If there is free Wi-fi for internet connection(so you go fit browse if them no accept you) You dont have to except if required in the job description and details or else, DONT. Later una go dey talk say unemployment is everywhere. Just follow simple instructions.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Adanyebe(m): 11:17am On Apr 04, 2013
if want, u can take along with u a television set

2 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by dansmog(m): 11:21am On Apr 04, 2013
you can only go with your laptop, ipad and whathaveyou to interview if what they needed is to be shown from there (practically: programming, web designs etc). But if you are being interviewed for a post of a chemistry teacher in a secondary school who still uses marker board, then what do you need gadgets for? To display lesson notes?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sunrose Consulting Interview On Friday / Good Morning To 2017 Beneficiaries, We Have Listed Random Information for you / Malaria Consortium Latest Job Recruitment (13 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.