Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,457 members, 7,770,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:15 AM

Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh (30769 Views)

Does The Quran Permit Suicide? / Pharaoh:scientific Mummification Or Qur'anic Preservation? / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 10:39pm On Apr 03, 2013
Stories from the Quran

The way we tell stories in the Quran is pretty tragic.. I am starting this thread and i hope it would be useful particularly for parents with young kids.

Stories in the Quran are incredible. The amount of detail in every ayah is mind-blowing.. Allah takes you to the scene; It is as if you are witnessing it yourself... No one tells a story better than Allah, the subtleties are incredible.. Every story serves a purpose and there are no unnecessary details that serve no purpose to the story being told. The story is told to address a point and is related to the central idea or theme of the surah.

Example: Allah talks about the story of dawud and Ǧālūt (David and Goliath) in surah baqarah, where a young man kills a great commander Ǧālūt. Here, a small army was able to defeat a big army... Just before this story, the muslims have just been commanded to fight in badr for the first time.... Allah uses this story to encourage the small Muslim army that was coming up against a bigger army.

Allah says when telling the story : ‘How often a small force has defeated a large army with God’s permission! God is with those who are steadfast.’ (Surah baqarah). Allah also reveals the prayer made by Talut(Saul) army asking for patience before battle: Ufrigh ‘alayna sabran wa thabbit aQdaamanaa wa aNSurnaa ‘ala-al Qawmi al kaafireen' - ‘Our Lord, pour patience on us, make us stand firm, and help us against the disbelievers,’

The early muslim were given the courage, the hope and even the prayer to say for the battle that was coming just by Allah relaying the story... All stories in the Quran serve a purpose and are related to the general theme of the surah, there are no unnecessary details. Even when stories are repeated, There is always something remarkable that addresses the theme of the surah.

Parents should understand the depth of these stories and be able to tell their kids... They are fascinating stories... We would start with Musa (Alayhi salam) and then move to the most beautiful story, the story of Yusuf (Alayhi salam).

Please make du'a

26 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 10:39pm On Apr 03, 2013
Story 1

Musa talks to Allah

This is an absolutely incredible story: May Allah help me convey it in the best of ways... We are about to travel to mount sinai... The Story is told in Surah Taha... We would look at ayah 9-21 and show how Allah prepared Musa for Firaun.

Ayah 9

وَهَلۡ أَتَٮٰكَ حَدِيثُ مُوسَىٰٓ (٩

Wa-hal “ata-ka hadithu musaa

Has the story of Moses come to you [Prophet]?

Hadith - This refers to a new story; Already aspects of the story of musa had been revealed; A new story is about to be told... This mode of questioning is idiomatic in the arabic language and it implies ‘think well about it’ or ‘take a lesson from this’.

So here Allah is about to tell you a new story and He wants you to think about it and take a lesson from it...

Ayah 10

إِذۡ رَءَا نَارً۬ا فَقَالَ لِأَهۡلِهِ ٱمۡكُثُوٓاْ إِنِّىٓ ءَانَسۡتُ نَارً۬ا لَّعَلِّىٓ ءَاتِيكُم مِّنۡہَا بِقَبَسٍ أَوۡ أَجِدُ عَلَى ٱلنَّارِ هُدً۬ى (١٠

“Idh ra-“a naran faqala li-“ahli-hi “umkuthu “in-ni “anastu naranl la-‘alli “ati-kum min-ha bi-qabasin “aw “ajidu ‘ala al-n-nari hudan

He saw a fire and said to his people, ‘Stay here––I can see a fire. Maybe I can bring you a flaming brand from it or find some guidance there.’

So musa is travelling with his family in the dark desert and spots a fire, ( they needed light for their journey so it was dark). Something very interesting in the language... Musa says 'in-ni “anastu' which shows an emphasis -(Surely I, I see). This is used in Arabic to convince someone of something. This emphasis shows that Musa is trying to convince his family that he has seen a fire, meaning they didn't see the fire. So only him could see the fire. This is lost in translation many times.

But it is odd, isn't it? If you travelling in the dark and there is a fire, everyone should be able to see it but only musa saw it. He has to convince his family that he has seen a fire. Allah made the fire to be seen by only musa so only him comes to the fire. Allah is indicating here that a conversation takes place about whether there was a fire without going into the details... Subhanallah,

Imagine travelling with your family in the desert and you see a fire but no one else sees it but you are certain so you tell them : for sure there is a fire up there, wait here let me get some light for you guys....

SO musa goes off to look for two things; Qabas - flaming brand or Hudan – Guidance for their journey. A fire indicates that there may be people so they could provide them with guidance for their journey or help them with flame...

Ayah 11

فَلَمَّآ أَتَٮٰهَا نُودِىَ يَـٰمُوسَىٰٓ (١١

Fa-lam-ma “ata-ha nudiya ya musaa

When he came to the fire, he was summoned, ‘Moses!

The use of 'lam-ma' shows that there was a time lapse before Musa got to the fire, it indicates that there was a struggle to get up there; It took a prolonged period for Musa to get to the fire.... So Musa is climbing the mountain, he is putting a lot of effort to get to the fire, remember His family is left alone in the dark so Musa is rushing to get to the fire...

Ironically, Musa is going to look for guidance for his journey but finds guidance for life;

He suddenly hears his name 'MUSA'... Musa must be shocked.... who could possibly know his name here?...

Imagine yourself after struggling to climb up a cliff, possibly tired and as you approach the fire, all alone, in the middle of the night. And out of no where, you hear your first name 'MUSA'. No 'who is there' or 'what goes there' ... Your first name... Someone knows who you are... Musa must be shocked..

So What does Allah tell him immediately?

AYAH 12

إِنِّىٓ أَنَا۟ رَبُّكَ فَٱخۡلَعۡ نَعۡلَيۡكَ‌ۖ إِنَّكَ بِٱلۡوَادِ ٱلۡمُقَدَّسِ طُوً۬ى (١٢

“In-nii “ana rab-bu-ka fa-ikhla’ na‘lay-ka “in-na-ka bi-al-wadi al-muqad-dasi tuwan

“No doubt I am your Lord/Master, take your shoes off. You are in the Sacred Valley of Tuwa.”

Immediately, after hearing his name in this place, he hears a command ' I am your master, take off your shoe'. You are in a sacred valley; There is also an emphasis (In-nii) which makes it even more powerful.

A parallel can be drawn to the life of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), When the Angel came to him; there was a direct command as well :Recite'

Then the ayah:

' Recite in the name of your rabb(master, sustainer, owner, nourisher) who created'

Imagine the state of mind of Musa right now;

Ayah 13

وَأَنَا ٱخۡتَرۡتُكَ فَٱسۡتَمِعۡ لِمَا يُوحَىٰٓ (١٣

Wa-“ana ikhtartu-ka fa-istami’ li-ma yuhaa

I have chosen you, so listen to what is being revealed

ana ikhtartu - Another emphasis: I, I chose/preferred you ... This emphasises that there is no doubt as to who has chosen musa, It is his Master, it creates exclusivity... Allah is clearing any doubts from the mind of musa by the emphasis.

There are three words for 'chosen' in the Arabic language:

Allah used

ikhtartu - (from iKhtiyaar )

Other words that could be used are

iJtibaa
iStifaa

So why does Allah use ikhtartu?

ikhtartu - comes from iKhtiyaar which comes from the word khayr (goodness)... It means choosing something because it has goodness.

So essentially, Allah is telling musa that he has been chosen because of the goodness in him...

then Allah says

fa-istami’ li-ma yuhaa

So listen extremely carefully for what is Revealed/Inspired (wahy).

So essentially we have (rough interpretation)

Musa, this is for sure your lord/master, take off your shoes, you are in the sacred valley of Tuwa, It is definitely me and i have chosen you because i see goodness in you, so listen extremely carefully to what is revealed..

Imagine Allah telling you that you have been chosen because he finds goodness in you... So far: Only Allah has spoken

Allah continues:

Ayah 14

إِنَّنِىٓ أَنَا ٱللَّهُ لَآ إِلَـٰهَ إِلَّآ أَنَا۟ فَٱعۡبُدۡنِى وَأَقِمِ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ لِذِڪۡرِىٓ (١٤

“In-nan-i “ana Allahu la “ilaha “il-la “ana fau‘bud-ni wa-“aqimi al-s-salata li-dhikri

Surely I, I (am) Allah, (there is) no god except Me, enslave (a’bud) yourself to me / worship me, and Uphold the Prayer for My Remembrance.

This is a beautiful ayah;

After commanding musa and letting musa know he is master, he lets musa know that, He is Allah, there is nothing else worthy of worship and commands Musa to enslave himself to him (obey every command by Allah)

Now Musa knows he is speaking to Allah, who has chosen him because of goodness in him... Wow!! Have you ever met a celebrity? Someone who is really famous.... Do you think you can ever forget? Not only that, He started the conversation with you... Musa just spoke to the master of all that exists and Allah started the conversation calling him by his first name.. wow!!

That is the state, musa is now....

But Allah tells him, if you truly want to remember me, keep up the prayer.... SubhanAllah...It shows how important the prayer is... So even though Allah just spoke to him, the greatest thing that can ever happen to Musa, he might forget sometimes, upholding the prayer would help Musa remember Allah...

Ayah 15

إِنَّ ٱلسَّاعَةَ ءَاتِيَةٌ أَكَادُ أُخۡفِيہَا لِتُجۡزَىٰ كُلُّ نَفۡسِۭ بِمَا تَسۡعَىٰ (١٥

“In-na al-s-sa’ata “atiyatun “akadu “ukhfi-ha li-tu-jza kul-lu nafsinm bi-ma ta-s’a

Indeed, the Hour is coming – I almost conceal it – so that every soul may be recompensed according to that for which it strives.

Another reason for uphold the prayer is that there is a judgement coming; Also Allah said he 'almost conceals' the Hour; which means that he has given us the signs of it. The messenger (peace be upon him ) gave us some of the signs..

Then Allah says:

so that every soul may be recompensed according to that for which it ran towards. (ta-s'a)

The language here is beautiful; ta-saa means to run to...

People get the reward of what they ran towards, Musa rushed to get guidance for his family but Allah gave him guidance from Himself..... SubhanAllah

Ayah 16

فَلَا يَصُدَّنَّكَ عَنۡہَا مَن لَّا يُؤۡمِنُ بِہَا وَٱتَّبَعَ هَوَٮٰهُ فَتَرۡدَىٰ (١٦

Do not let anyone who does not believe in it and follows his own desires distract you from it, and so bring you to ruin.

More warning for Musa; Imagine the state of Musa, now... He must be terrified; More serious stuff.. Allah has been very direct and tough with him so far... so in the next Ayah, Allah brings down the tone...

Ayah 17

وَمَا تِلۡكَ بِيَمِينِكَ يَـٰمُوسَىٰ (١٧

So what is in your right hand O Moses?

You see, Where the name is placed in speech, reflects the tone of the speech..

If Allah had said

Musa, what is your right hand?

It would have been in a commanding tone, rather He says in a soft manner:

So what is in your right hand O Moses?

SubhanAllah, Allah already knows what is in his right hand, the question serves to calm Musa... Allah Spoke with toughness at the beginning and Musa must have been terrified and in awe, After making sure Musa understands, He softens the tone....

Ayah 18

قَالَ هِىَ عَصَاىَ أَتَوَڪَّؤُاْ عَلَيۡہَا وَأَهُشُّ بِہَا عَلَىٰ غَنَمِى وَلِىَ فِيہَا مَـَٔارِبُ أُخۡرَىٰ (١٨

Qala hiya ‘asaya “atawak-ka-“u ‘alay-ha wa-“ahush-shu bi-ha ‘ala ghanami wa-liya fi-ha ma-“aribu “ukhra

‘It is my staff,’ he said, ‘I lean on it; restrain my sheep with it; I also have other uses for it.’

Finally Musa gets to talk to Allah, Imagine getting to talk to a very famous person... You want to extend the conversation, Musa is about to speak to Allah:

Musa was simply asked; What is in your hand? Instead of just saying 'my staff'.

Musa tries to extend the conversation:

He says ' It is my staff, i lean on it, restrain my sheep and i have other uses for it' Allah simply asked what is in your hand....

It also reflects his nervousness at this point...

Ayah 19

قَالَ أَلۡقِهَا يَـٰمُوسَىٰ (١٩

God said, ‘Throw it down, O Moses.’

The name at the end indicates that Allah is still being gentle with him...

Ayah 20

فَأَلۡقَٮٰهَا فَإِذَا هِىَ حَيَّةٌ۬ تَسۡعَىٰ (٢٠

He threw it down and– lo and behold!– it became a fast-moving snake.

Musa obeyed immediately , the language suggests there was no delay but immediately it becomes a snake...

Wow... Now imagine you are Musa, you are just beginning to calm down... then you throw your staff and see a huge snake moving about... haha

Ayah 21

قَالَ خُذۡهَا وَلَا تَخَفۡ‌ۖ سَنُعِيدُهَا سِيرَتَهَا ٱلۡأُولَىٰ (٢١

He [Allah] said Grab it! And don’t be afraid. We will return it to its original state.

This one ayah is all of the lesson, Musa needs for pharoah.... The words of Allah are so powerful... we will see how...

Grab it?? imagine you just saw your staff turn it into snake now you have to grab it... Allah could have said ' Don't be afraid, grab it' like most of us might do if telling a child to do something scary for instance...

But Allah emphasizes Obedience first... Allah expects obedience first. He gives the order first before telling us the wisdom behind it... In this case ' We will return it to its original state' .

Allah taught Moses through this series of commands;

1 – Obey Allah (Pick up the Snake)
2 - Courage (Don't be afraid) (being brave enough to do it.)
3 – Trust (' We will return it to its original state' ) (in Allah that the snake will not bite him.)

Why is this important?

1.Musa would obey Allah first by Going to Pharoah, - Obedience

2. He must exhibit courage and not be afraid; In Surah Al-Shuara, we see that Musa was afraid they were going to kill him because of the crime he committed

Moses said, ‘My Lord, I fear they will call me a liar, and I will feel stressed and tongue-tied, so send Aaron too; besides, they have a charge
against me, and I fear they may kill me.’ (Surah 26 12-14)
- Courage

3. Trust in Allah for the success of his Mission...

All of the lessons for Pharaoh in one Ayat : He [Allah] said Grab it! And don’t be afraid. We will return it to its original state.

Allahuakbar... Subhanallah The words of Allah are stunning

More on Musa tomorrow Inshallah

Leave a comment

24 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by Lanrefahm(m): 10:57pm On Apr 03, 2013
more please smiley

1 Like

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 11:18pm On Apr 03, 2013
b]Stories in the Quran[/b]

Musa gets to meet pharaoh Part 1

I am excited about what i am going to share today... smiley This dialogue is a battle of wits... May Allah Help me transmit it in the best way... It might require more than one part depending on how much i can cover today...

Does anyone understand what transition in movies is ? Sometimes in movies they cut off scenes and just show subsequent events resulting from the scene.... Id give you an example...

Check out this clip from 'finding Nemo'... Starting from 7:00 mins to about 10:00 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQFC7jFt6xE&feature=relmfu

Marlin's son Nemo was missing; Marlin begins to tell the story of his journey to find his son to some mini-turtles... but they don't complete the scene... they show how the same story is carried from animal to animal until it finally get to Nemo...They don't have to waste time repeating the same story from animal to animal... The audience is expected to understand what goes on in between the lines. We even get to watch cartoons hehe... SubhanAllah..

Transition is a modern film technique but it is employed many times in the Quran...No one tells a story better than Allah... It's so beautiful, SubhanAllah.... We will continue the story of Musa from Surah Shuara..

from Ayah 10...

Ayah 10 & 11

وَإِذۡ نَادَىٰ رَبُّكَ مُوسَىٰٓ أَنِ ٱئۡتِ ٱلۡقَوۡمَ ٱلظَّـٰلِمِينَ (١٠

10. Waith nada rabbuka moosa ani iti alqawma alththalimeena
11. Qawma firAAawna ala yattaqoona

10.Your Lord called to Moses: ‘Go to those wrongdoers
11. the people of Pharaoh. Will they not take heed?’

We are picking off from the conversation Allah had with Musa, Here Allah commands musa to go to pharaoh and his people...

Ayah 12, 13, 14

Now Musa responds

قَالَ رَبِّ إِنِّىٓ أَخَافُ أَن يُكَذِّبُونِ (١٢
وَيَضِيقُ صَدۡرِى وَلَا يَنطَلِقُ لِسَانِى فَأَرۡسِلۡ إِلَىٰ هَـٰرُونَ (١٣
وَلَهُمۡ عَلَىَّ ذَنۢبٌ۬ فَأَخَافُ أَن يَقۡتُلُونِ (١٤

12. Qala rabbi innee akhafu an yukaththibooni
13. Wayadeequ sadree wala yantaliqu lisanee faarsil ila haroona
14. Walahum AAalayya thanbun faakhafu an yaqtulooni

12.Moses said, ‘My Lord, I fear they will call me a liar,
13.and I will feel stressed and tongue-tied, so send Aaron too;
14. besides, they have a charge against me, and I fear they may kill me.’

The most important concern raised by musa was the success of the mission, Musa had a temper so he was afraid that if they called him a liar or lied against him, he will get angry. When he gets angry, he can't communicate his thoughts clearly and when he does that, he fears that the mission will fail. So He asks for a back-up, if He fails, the back up should be there.. He makes the mission the priority.

Another reason for asking for a backup was that the people of pharaoh had a charge against Him and they could kill him when he get there. If they kill Him, the back-up will the mission. So he is explaining his reasons for a back-up.

He had more concern for the mission that his own life. So two reasons for a back-up Aaron:

i. If they call him a liar or lie against him, he could lose his temper. when angry, He can't talk straight. the back-up will take over in that case.
ii. They had a charge against him and could kill him, the back-up will continue the mission in this case..

Subhanallah.... His only concern was fulfilling the message given to him by Allah...

Ayah 15

Allah replies:

قَالَ كَلَّا‌ۖ فَٱذۡهَبَا بِـَٔايَـٰتِنَآ‌ۖ إِنَّا مَعَكُم مُّسۡتَمِعُونَ (١٥

Qala kalla faithhaba biayatina inna maAAakum mustamiAAoona

15. God said, ‘No [they will not]. Go, both of you, with Our signs––We shall be with you, listening.

Allah assures Musa that he will not be killed. Then says: Go both of you with Our signs... Allah uses 'both of you' showing that the request of Musa has been granted.

Allah then says(rough translation): We shall be with you, listening. Interesting Allah uses listening instead of watching... you see you can watch from a distance but to listen you have to be close. So Allah by the language is assuring Musa that He will be close to Him... Subhanallah....

So Allah says; He will be listening to this dialogue with Pharaoh. We must also be listening carefully....

Ayah 16 & 17

فَأۡتِيَا فِرۡعَوۡنَ فَقُولَآ إِنَّا رَسُولُ رَبِّ ٱلۡعَـٰلَمِينَ (١٦
أَنۡ أَرۡسِلۡ مَعَنَا بَنِىٓ إِسۡرَٲٓءِيلَ (١٧

16. Fatiya firAAawna faqoola inna rasoolu rabbi alAAalameena
17. An arsil maAAana banee israeela

16 Go, both of you, to Pharaoh and say, “We are like one messenger from the Lord of the Worlds:
17 let the Children of Israel leave with us.” ’

Now Allah gives them the message to pharoah;
1.Tell him that you are both like one messenger from the lord of the worlds (coming with a single message)

2. and that he should let the children of Israel come with you...

Now there is the transition...

Ayah 18
قَالَ أَلَمۡ نُرَبِّكَ فِينَا وَلِيدً۬ا وَلَبِثۡتَ فِينَا مِنۡ عُمُرِكَ سِنِينَ (١٨

18. Qala alam nurabbika feena waleedan walabithta feena min AAumurika sineena
19. WafaAAalta faAAlataka allatee faAAalta waanta mina alkafireena

18.Pharaoh said, ‘Did we not bring you up as a child among us? Did you not stay with us for many years?
19 And then you committed that crime of yours: you were so ungrateful.’

Did you notice what just happened? Allah had told Musa and Aaron to say: “We are like one messenger from the Lord of the Worlds: let the Children of Israel leave with us.” in the previous ayah

This is not repeated again; rather the pharaoh response to the demand of Musa is relayed.... The reader understands that Musa has already placed this demand before Pharaoh, There is no need for repetition, It is redundant.... Subhanallah... This is an example of transition in the Quran..

Imagine Musa, who ran away from Egypt after committing a crime. He has a charge against him... He does not sneak into Egypt, rather He goes to the palace of Pharaoh to talk to him. Not only that, He comes to pharaoh and says: We come with a message from the 'Lord of the Worlds' : Let the children of Israel go....

At this point, Pharaoh is in a position of power in this conversation: So Pharaoh said:

‘Did we not bring you up as a child among us? Did you not stay with us for many years?'

Pharaoh is smart here, He is trying to play on the emotions of Musa... Aren't you grateful that you grew up with us for many years? We raised you for many years.... Trying to show him as being disloyal and ungrateful.... It is an attack on the character of Musa...

By the way, he did not address the issue raised by Musa. He is trying to test Musa's resolve, He is clever...

Then goes for another psychological attack:

And then you committed that crime of yours: you were so ungrateful.’

He is trying to make Musa nervous by referring to his crime, then he says you are of those who deny ....The word used is 'alkafireena' which means to deny... So basically he says,

you are denying my goodness to you...
Are you denying the crime you committed?

See what Pharaoh is doing, He is putting himself up in an intimidating position and putting Musa down... Pharaoh has raised three issues so far?

i. We raised you as a boy
ii. You lived with us for many years
iii. You committed a crime...

So Pharaoh is trying to intimidate Musa..

Musa gives a brilliant response that switches the tables but you will have to wait for it.... See you tomorrow Insha Allah

This is a fascinating dialogue, a psychological warfare... you do not want to miss out on the concluding part of this dialogue

17 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by maclatunji: 12:00am On Apr 04, 2013
JazakumLlahu Khayran.

9 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by kemiola89(f): 11:44pm On Apr 04, 2013
Subhanallah!!! @poster! May Allah reward you for this.
I actually 'd read the roman transliteration of the qur'an, i don't quite understand like you've just explained now. *Following*.

5 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 8:12pm On Apr 05, 2013
Stories in the Quran

Musa gets to meet pharaoh Part 2

Alhamdulilah... We will continue from where we stopped in Surah Al-Shuara... May Allah help me deliver it in the best of ways.

Pharaoh is now testing Musa's resolve, He challenges the character of Musa, implying that Musa is disloyal, Ungrateful... That musa is denying the goodness that has been shown to him.

Then He tries to intimidate Musa by referring to the crime committed by Musa, The Accusations are as follows:

i. We raised you as a boy
ii. You lived with us for many years
iii. You committed a crime...

The most serious of these accusations is that Musa had committed a crime so Musa addresses that first... Musa response is as follows

Ayat 20 and 21

قَالَ فَعَلۡتُهَآ إِذً۬ا وَأَنَا۟ مِنَ ٱلضَّآلِّينَ (٢٠
فَفَرَرۡتُ مِنكُمۡ لَمَّا خِفۡتُكُمۡ فَوَهَبَ لِى رَبِّى حُكۡمً۬ا وَجَعَلَنِى مِنَ ٱلۡمُرۡسَلِينَ (٢١

20. Qala faAAaltuha ithan waana mina alddalleena
21. Fafarartu minkum lamma khiftukum fawahaba lee rabbee hukman wajaAAalanee mina almursaleena

20. Moses replied, ‘I was misguided when I did it
21. and I fled from you, when i used to be scared of you; later my Lord gave me wisdom and made me one of His messengers. (Surah 26:20-21)

So Musa addresses the most serious allegation first, He admits that he had committed a crime... He gets the biggest hurdle out of the way first. So He is not a denier of that anymore.

Then he says : and i fled from you, when i used to be scared of you...

Such a beautiful ayah, Musa said: when i used to be scared of you... past tense, He is telling pharaoh that his intimidation technique can't work because he is no longer scared of him... He is telling pharaoh that his intimidation is not working... SubhanaAllah

The Musa says: later my Lord gave me wisdom and made me one of His messengers.

Now, Remember the message given to Musa : Tell pharaoh that

1. We are both like one messenger from the Lord of the worlds (Coming with the same message)

2. Free the children of Israel...

Musa is not letting Himself get distracted by the Pharaoh, So He comes back to point 1 after dismissing the attempt at intimidation... Pharaoh is trying to change the focus of the discussion (like a typical politician). Musa gets right back on track by reminding him that he has been sent by the lord of the worlds...... Subhanallah

Then Musa continues:

Ayah 22

وَتِلۡكَ نِعۡمَةٌ۬ تَمُنُّہَا عَلَىَّ أَنۡ عَبَّدتَّ بَنِىٓ إِسۡرَٲٓءِيلَ (٢٢

22. Watilka niAAmatun tamunnuha AAalayya an AAabbadta banee isra-eela

22. And is this– that you have enslaved the Children of Israel– the favour with which you reproach me?

After addressing Pharaoh biggest accusation, He addresses the other two accusation (He grew up in the household of Pharaoh)... He does so with a focus on the original topic of discussion. He addresses the second part of his message to pharaoh...

Basically He said: So you did a favour to me, does that give you the right to enslave the children of Israel?

He is now questioning the rationale of pharaoh.... What does that have to do with the enslavement of the children of Israel?

He does not move from the point.... He has brought the focus back to the original message he came with...

Now, he has also raised a question on the thinking of the pharaoh by questioning his rationale in front of the audience.... The audience is composed of the chief ministers of Pharaoh..

Now Pharaoh has no other choice but to address the message;

Ayah 23

قَالَ فِرۡعَوۡنُ وَمَا رَبُّ ٱلۡعَـٰلَمِينَ (٢٣

23. Qala firAAawnu wama rabbu alAAalameena

23. Pharaoh asked, ‘What is this “Lord of the Worlds”?’

Now pharaoh asks: What is this lord of the worlds?

Notice that pharaoh did not say 'who', He said 'what'...

When you say 'what', you are implying that this lord does not exist... So Pharoah is trying to make fun of Musa by saying ' What is this lord of the worlds?'.

In Ancient Egypt, the pharaohs (past and present) were considered 'gods' and they worshipped the sun...

Now Musa is going to go in hard on all their beliefs....

Musa responds...

Ayah 24

قَالَ رَبُّ ٱلسَّمَـٰوَٲتِ وَٱلۡأَرۡضِ وَمَا بَيۡنَهُمَآ‌ۖ إِن كُنتُم مُّوقِنِينَ (٢٤

24. Qala rabbu alssamawati waal-ardi wama baynahuma in kuntum mooqineena

24. Moses replied, ‘He is the Lord of the heavens and earth and everything between them. If all of you are seeking to be convinced!’

The pharaohs used to worship the Sun in the heavens and the pharaoh on the earth,

Now Musa is telling them that this lord is the lord of the earth which includes pharaoh and the heavens which includes the sun that they worship. and everything in between. Subhanallah.

Then he addressses the crowd and says: If all of you are seeking to be convinced

He has shifted his focus from just pharaoh to the rest of the audience because they all worship the sun and consider the pharaoh a god. Another insult to pharaoh....

Now musa has addressed the audience...

Pharaoh responds:

Ayah 25

قَالَ لِمَنۡ حَوۡلَهُ ۥۤ أَلَا تَسۡتَمِعُونَ (٢٥

25. Qala liman hawlahu ala tastamiAAoona

25. Pharaoh said to those present, ‘Do you hear what he says?’

The tables have switched; the balance of power in this conversation has changed... Musa has just challenged all of their beliefs and it seems pharaoh's people are listening... Pharaoh is getting nervous:

He asks the question to the audience:

‘Do you hear what he says?’

Do you realise what he is saying? Are you listening carefully to what he is saying?

He is trying to alert his people to stay loyal...

Moses continues, challenging more of their beliefs:

Ayah 26

قَالَ رَبُّكُمۡ وَرَبُّ ءَابَآٮِٕكُمُ ٱلۡأَوَّلِينَ (٢٦

26. Qala rabbukum warabbu aba-ikumu al-awwaleena

26. Moses said, ‘He is your Lord and the Lord of your forefathers.’

The former pharaohs were regarded as gods, Moses tells them that not only is Allah, the lord of the heavens, He is the lord of the Pharaoh and the lord of pharaoh's forefathers who they considered gods... wow!!

Not only is he your lord, He is the lord of your forefathers that you consider gods..

He is doing all of these in front of the pharaoh and his audience..... Musa has taken full control of this conversation... the balance of power has shifted.

The audience is listening to Musa, Now Pharaoh says:

Ayah 27

قَالَ إِنَّ رَسُولَكُمُ ٱلَّذِىٓ أُرۡسِلَ إِلَيۡكُمۡ لَمَجۡنُونٌ۬ (٢٧

27. Qala inna rasoolakumu allathee orsila ilaykum lamajnoonun

27. (Pharaoh) said: "Truly your messenger who has been sent to you is a veritable madman!"

The audience seems to be listening to Musa so much so that Pharaoh refers to Musa as the messenger of the audience... 'your messenger' ... You are listening to him like he is your messenger. lol... The messenger was sent to pharaoh not the audience but he is unwilling to accept that.

Pharaoh is getting nervous: So he throws another accusation at Musa: He is a Madman...

Now examine this:

The first attack on Musa was

1. Loyalty

The second attack is

2. The crime

The Third attack

3. His sanity

Musa ignores this accusation and continues:

Ayah 28

قَالَ رَبُّ ٱلۡمَشۡرِقِ وَٱلۡمَغۡرِبِ وَمَا بَيۡنَہُمَآ‌ۖ إِن كُنتُمۡ تَعۡقِلُونَ (٢٨

28. Qala rabbu almashriqi waalmaghribi wama baynahuma in kuntum taAAqiloona

28. Moses continued, ‘Lord of the East and West and everything between them. If you would only use your reason!’

So Musa says, If you guys apply your intellect and use your reason, what i am saying is very convincing......

Pharaoh gets very upset now and responds:

Ayah 29

قَالَ لَٮِٕنِ ٱتَّخَذۡتَ إِلَـٰهًا غَيۡرِى لَأَجۡعَلَنَّكَ مِنَ ٱلۡمَسۡجُونِينَ (٢٩

29. Qala la-ini ittakhathta ilahan ghayree laajAAalannaka mina almasjooneena

29. But Pharaoh said [to him], ‘If you take any god other than me, I will throw you into prison,’

Pharaoh is angry now, his audience is listening to Musa, he is losing the debate and Musa has spoken against all of their beliefs. So He threatens him: If you take any other god other than me i will put you in prison. The literal translation would be "you will be among those that are imprisoned'. This means that there have been people in the past that have been imprisoned in the past for challenging the Pharaoh.

When do you threaten someone? When you can not challenge them intellectually... Pharaoh is losing this debate so he results to threats... The threat at this stage indicates that pharaoh was losing the debate... he had no more arguments...

Then Musa responds:

Ayah 30

قَالَ أَوَلَوۡ جِئۡتُكَ بِشَىۡءٍ۬ مُّبِينٍ۬ (٣٠

30. Qala awa law ji/tuka bishay-in mubeenin

30. and Moses asked, ‘Even if I show you something convincing?’

Would you imprison me even if i can show you clear proof? Musa is clever here; He brings a challenge before pharaoh telling him that he has clear proof for him... Pharaoh is too proud to back down from a challenge in front of an audience... If he backs down, it means he admits defeat in front of his people... Pharaoh has been cornered, he has no choice but to accept the challenge...

So He accepts the challenge:

Ayah 31

قَالَ فَأۡتِ بِهِۦۤ إِن ڪُنتَ مِنَ ٱلصَّـٰدِقِينَ (٣١

31. Qala fa/ti bihi in kunta mina alssadiqeena

31. ‘Show it then,’ said Pharaoh, ‘if you are telling the truth.’

Pharaoh accepts Musa's challenge...

Ayah 32 & 33

فَأَلۡقَىٰ عَصَاهُ فَإِذَا هِىَ ثُعۡبَانٌ۬ مُّبِينٌ۬ (٣٢

وَنَزَعَ يَدَهُ ۥ فَإِذَا هِىَ بَيۡضَآءُ لِلنَّـٰظِرِينَ (٣٣

32. Faalqa AAasahu fa-itha hiya thuAAbanun mubeenun

33. WanazaAAa yadahu fa-itha hiya baydao lilnnathireena

32. So Moses threw down his staff and– lo and behold!– it became a snake for everyone to see.

33 Then he drew out his hand and– lo and behold!– it was white for the onlookers to see.

Musa shows pharaoh the clear signs given to him by Allah...

Ayah 34 & 35

قَالَ لِلۡمَلَإِ حَوۡلَهُ ۥۤ إِنَّ هَـٰذَا لَسَـٰحِرٌ عَلِيمٌ۬ (٣٤
يُرِيدُ أَن يُخۡرِجَكُم مِّنۡ أَرۡضِڪُم بِسِحۡرِهِۦ فَمَاذَا تَأۡمُرُونَ (٣٥) قَالُوٓاْ أَرۡجِهۡ وَأَخَاهُ وَٱبۡعَثۡ فِى ٱلۡمَدَآٮِٕنِ حَـٰشِرِينَ (٣٦

34. Qala lilmala-i hawlahu inna hatha lasahirun AAaleemun
35. Yureedu an yukhrijakum min ardikum bisihrihi famatha ta/muroona

34. Pharaoh said to the counsellors around him, ‘This man is a learned sorcerer!
35 He means to use his sorcery to drive you out of your land! What do you suggest?’

In ancient times, if there is a loss of loyalty from amongst your chiefs there could be a coup, Pharaoh sees that his chiefs are amazed by Musa so pharaoh turns to his chiefs and minsters, and seeks their counsel... It is important that your chiefs are kept close.

He makes another accusation 'He is a learned sorcerer' haha grin

How can he be a madman and at the same time a learned sorcerer at the same time In the same dialogue, Pharaoh has called Musa a learned sorcerer and a mad man.

He is desperate to find an explanation for something he can not explain.... Does that remind you of people today?

Sometimes you bring irrefutable proof of Islam and someone who sees these irrefutable evidence but is determined to reject faith says... ' the prophet must have gotten this knowledge from somewhere' or 'Maybe He was actually learned' and many other ridiculous explanations that have no basis.

These people are following the sunnah of pharaoh..... To reject even when clear evidence is placed in front of you is following pharaoh.

Pharaoh continues: He means to use his sorcery to drive you out of your land!

Now Pharaoh is trying to make his people scared of Musa, scare tactics have been employed for a long time by leaders... Pharaoh has attempted a few things so far

i. First, he tries to insult Musa (disloyalty)
ii. Then he tries to intimidate Him (crime musa committed)
iii. Then he accuses of being a mad man
iv. Threaten him with prison

Now all the scare tactics against Musa have failed so He tries to make the people scared of Musa... If i can not scare Musa then let me scare the people away from following him because if they do, they will be driven out of their land.

Leaders today still use scare tactics to make the people stay loyal. Fear against an enemy brings people together, once you can make the population afraid of a common enemy then you can build unity against that enemy.

The Quran is amazing, stunning literature. You will never read anything in your life that will have the psychological impact on you like the Quran. It is a tragedy that we have reduced this amazing book to shallow translation and quotations.The scholars of the arabs do not have this problem but most of the Ummah does

If people can see the real power in this book , we will be a different ummah and there will be a change in attitudes...

More to come, in sha Allah

14 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by siddiq202(m): 11:00pm On Apr 05, 2013
It's as if I'm just reading this story for the first time...

Op jazakallahu khairan. Hope it wont take another 48 hours to continue?

5 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 11:01pm On Apr 05, 2013
lol, make du'a...
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by busar(m): 8:55am On Apr 06, 2013
coolPlease,make sure u complete this before u create another one.

1 Like

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by kemiola89(f): 1:10pm On Apr 06, 2013
May Allah grant you much strenght and time needed to continue. *we are waiting*

1 Like

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by sino(m): 12:23am On Apr 07, 2013
Subscribing!

Very important lessons to be learnt, especially to mould our kids to be brave and courageous...

*Makes mental note* "Bed time stories for young Ahmad and Aisha(in the nearest future InshAllah)"

Jazakumullahu khayran bro

making du'a, May Allah Assist you in your efforts ameen

3 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 12:36pm On Apr 09, 2013
Stories from the Quran

Pharaoh and the magicians

So pharaoh has been shown the signs given by Allah to Musa, He calls his inner cabinet together and seeks their advice.

Ayah 36

قَالُوٓاْ أَرۡجِهۡ وَأَخَاهُ وَٱبۡعَثۡ فِى ٱلۡمَدَآٮِٕنِ حَـٰشِرِينَ (٣٦

Qaloo arjih waakhahu waibAAath fee almada-ini hashireena

36 They answered, ‘Delay him and his brother for a while, and send messengers to all the cities

The word arjih (from rajalah) implies to hold something (with the teeth), rattle it and not let it go. Like you have a tooth pick in your mouth for hours without letting it go. It also carries the meaning of shaking it with the teeth.

The chiefs are basically telling pharaoh to let musa go but they should keep a close eye on him. Maybe they would have a security detail on him or someone to follow musa around, watching every one of his moves. They should also shake him up and weaken him up. This could be by spreading propaganda about musa or whatever...

At the same time, send messengers to all of the cities . They have multiple cities with different magicians, send the messengers to all the cities...

Ayah 37

يَأۡتُوكَ بِڪُلِّ سَحَّارٍ عَلِيمٍ۬ (٣٧

37. Ya/tooka bikulli sahharin AAaleemin

They will easily bring you all kinds of accomplished magicians

It is not a big deal, the messengers would easily get you all kinds of really powerful magicians.

Ayah 38, 39 and 40

يَأۡتُوكَ بِڪُلِّ سَحَّارٍ عَلِيمٍ۬ (٣٧) فَجُمِعَ ٱلسَّحَرَةُ لِمِيقَـٰتِ يَوۡمٍ۬ مَّعۡلُومٍ۬ (٣٨) وَقِيلَ لِلنَّاسِ هَلۡ أَنتُم مُّجۡتَمِعُونَ (٣٩) لَعَلَّنَا نَتَّبِعُ ٱلسَّحَرَةَ إِن كَانُواْ هُمُ ٱلۡغَـٰلِبِينَ (٤٠

38. FajumiAAa alssaharatu limeeqati yawmin maAAloomin
39. Waqeela lilnnasi hal antum mujtamiAAoona
40. LaAAallana nattabiAAu alssaharata in kanoo humu alghalibeena

38. The sorcerers were [to be] assembled at the appointed time on a certain day
39 and the people were asked,
40 ‘Are you all coming? We may follow the sorcerers if they win!’

A date was set. In Surah Taha, we see that it was the day of festival. The people were told: Are you coming out or not?? .... People were not just handed flyers, they were grabbed my soldiers and told: Are you going to come? Pharaoh wanted this to be a public humiliation for Musa (alayhi salam).

Musa (alayhi salam) is not on vacation as these events are taking place, He is talking to the people. We learn in Surah Taha that Musa (alayhi salam) was speaking to the people... People are told to come so that a huge crowd would witness the public destruction of Musa.

The day of the festival is a day when national spirit is revived, just like we have our national holidays... Remember, Pharaoh has made this a matter of national unity against the enemy. Pharaoh presents this as the cause for the nation, so basically: If you love your country, you are against musa.

The sorcerers are now presented as the heroes of the nation against this national threat, The sorcerers are becoming popular. Victory for the magicians would mean national support.Pharaoh is advertising the magicians to the people.

Now the magicians are aware of this, They realize that they are so influential that a crazy thought enters their mind. 'We should get paid for this'... we should get some compensation..

They are playing it smart, they realise that pharaoh has little choice, they are popular amongst the people. He has been advertising them to the people... The event is coming, Time is running out, Pharaoh can't kill them, he can't touch them He wants to win this challenge.

If there was ever a time to squeeze pharaoh for money, this was the time. This was their time to get rich. These are smart guys...

So they go to pharaoh:

Ayah 41

فَلَمَّا جَآءَ ٱلسَّحَرَةُ قَالُواْ لِفِرۡعَوۡنَ أَٮِٕنَّ لَنَا لَأَجۡرًا إِن كُنَّا نَحۡنُ ٱلۡغَـٰلِبِينَ (٤١

41. Falamma jaa alssaharatu qaloo lifirAAawna a-inna lana laajran in kunna nahnu alghalibeena

When the sorcerers came, they said to Pharaoh, ‘ We are definitely getting paid if we win, right?’

The language suggests that a number of them came, they came with strength and confidence. Pharaoh would grant them audience because these are his forces representing the nation.

They are basically telling pharaoh, 'if we win , we are definitely going to get paid right?... ( because if we do not get paid, we might not be so motivated to win')... grin ...crooks!,, They are squeezing pharaoh for money. If we are going to win, we need some motivation.

But pharaoh is smart as well ... Evil genius... The magicians are getting popular amongst the people. Pharaoh realises that as people get famous, they are two desires, 1. Money 2. Power...

Right now, the magicians have expressed the desire for money but not for power. But they are getting popular amongst the people, so if they have money and the people love them, they might start thinking about power.

Before they get that into their head, pharaoh offers them positions... So they never start think about his own position.

So not only does he say yes, he adds something else..

Ayah 42

قَالَ نَعَمۡ وَإِنَّكُمۡ إِذً۬ا لَّمِنَ ٱلۡمُقَرَّبِينَ (٤٢

42. Qala naAAam wa-innakum ithan lamina almuqarrabeena

and he said, ‘Yes, and you will join my inner court.’

Genius, Pharaoh says: If you win, you will be of those that are brought close.. This also means that pharaoh can keep a close eye on them.. If anyone is getting too ambitious, he can be taken care of. Pharaoh preempts their potential future ambitions and ensures he is in control.

Pharaoh is a politician, we see this happen in modern politics today. The leader woos popular people into his cabinet and snuffs out their political ambitions. At least, they will not be a threat to him.

NEXT UP: THE DAY OF THE FESTIVAL

7 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 9:11pm On Apr 09, 2013
Modified,.....
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 9:20pm On Apr 09, 2013
Kindly leave your comments
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by siddiq202(m): 11:41pm On Apr 09, 2013
May Allah reward you and we the readers with goodness... NEXT
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by busar(m): 9:29am On Apr 10, 2013
siddiq202: May Allah reward you and we the readers with goodness... NEXT
Ameen.Tafseer is highly important.
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 11:56pm On Apr 10, 2013
THE DAY OF THE FESTIVAL

Pharaoh has offered his magicians incentives to beat musa, they are going to be wealthy and powerful. The D day is here!!

Ayah 43

قَالَ لَهُم مُّوسَىٰٓ أَلۡقُواْ مَآ أَنتُم مُّلۡقُونَ (٤٣
فَأَلۡقَوۡاْ حِبَالَهُمۡ وَعِصِيَّهُمۡ وَقَالُواْ بِعِزَّةِ فِرۡعَوۡنَ إِنَّا لَنَحۡنُ ٱلۡغَـٰلِبُونَ (٤٤

43. Qala lahum moosa alqoo ma antum mulqoona
44. Faalqaw hibalahum waAAisiyyahum waqaloo biAAizzati firAAawna inna lanahnu alghaliboona

43. Moses said to them, ‘Throw down whatever you will.’
44 They threw their ropes and staffs, saying, ‘By Pharaoh’s might, we shall be victorious.’

We learn something new here. Not only are they expected to win, they are expected to make the pharaoh look good. Whatever victory they plan to achieve is dedicated to the pharaoh. The same pharaoh that has offered them money and power.

Pharaoh reputation is in the hands of the magicians now.

Ayah 45

فَأَلۡقَىٰ مُوسَىٰ عَصَاهُ فَإِذَا هِىَ تَلۡقَفُ مَا يَأۡفِكُونَ (٤٥

45. Faalqa moosa AAasahu fa-itha hiya talqafu ma ya/fikoona

45 But Moses threw his staff and– lo and behold!– it quickly swallowed up their trickery

The language suggests that it didn't take much time for the ropes and staffs to be swallowed... Target practice...

Ayah 46

فَأُلۡقِىَ ٱلسَّحَرَةُ سَـٰجِدِينَ (٤٦

46. Faolqiya alssaharatu sajideena

46. and the sorcerers were thrown into sajdah

Beautiful Language here, Musa Threw, The magicians were thrown..

They were thrown, meaning they couldn't even help themselves. Now, the crowd sees this and they might just think: Musa's magic is better than that of the magicians. But these magicians know the limit of magic so they have a different reaction. The messengers of pharaoh picked out the most accomplished magicians around, these guy know what magic can do. They can't even help themselves and fall into sajdah.

Ayah 47

قَالُوٓاْ ءَامَنَّا بِرَبِّ ٱلۡعَـٰلَمِينَ (٤٧

47. Qaloo amanna birabbi alAAalameena

47 exclaiming, ‘We believe in the Master of all nations and peoples,

At this point pharaoh might be confused... Afterall he considers himself to be rabbul alamin too... So they magicians clarify in the next ayah...

Ayah 48

رَبِّ مُوسَىٰ وَهَـٰرُونَ (٤٨

48. Rabbi moosa waharoona

48. the Master of Moses and Aaron.’

Don't be confused, pharaoh... We mean the Master of Musa and Harun... The people who held pharaoh reputation in their hands are destroying it. The weapon he created to destroy Islam, is hitting back at him.

Ayah 49

قَالَ ءَامَنتُمۡ لَهُ ۥ قَبۡلَ أَنۡ ءَاذَنَ لَكُمۡ‌ۖ إِنَّهُ ۥ لَكَبِيرُكُمُ ٱلَّذِى عَلَّمَكُمُ ٱلسِّحۡرَ فَلَسَوۡفَ تَعۡلَمُونَ‌ۚ لَأُقَطِّعَنَّ أَيۡدِيَكُمۡ وَأَرۡجُلَكُم مِّنۡ خِلَـٰفٍ۬ وَلَأُصَلِّبَنَّكُمۡ أَجۡمَعِينَ (٤٩

49. Qala amantum lahu qabla an athana lakum innahu lakabeerukumu allathee AAallamakumu alssihra falasawfa taAAlamoona laoqattiAAanna aydiyakum waarjulakum min khilafin walaosallibannakum ajmaAAeena

49 Pharaoh said, ‘How dare you believe in him before I have given you permission? He must be the master who taught you sorcery! Soon you will see: I will cut off your alternate hands and feet and then crucify the lot of you!’

Pharaoh : WHat!?! You believe in him before i give you permission oh!!! i get it, He is your chief magician. He is the one that taught you magic...

But pharaoh must know it is a lie as he says this... He brought these guys from all over egypt...Pharaoh is trying to serve his reputation here. He tells the people that musa must be their chief magician.

After that, Pharaoh make another evil masterstroke. He makes their death a public display so that people would be terrified of thinking like the magicians are thinking... Their hands and feet are cut from opposite sides and they are hung on trees.... It is a warning to anyone who tries to even think like this.

Ayah 50 and 51

قَالُواْ لَا ضَيۡرَ‌ۖ إِنَّآ إِلَىٰ رَبِّنَا مُنقَلِبُونَ (٥٠) إِنَّا نَطۡمَعُ أَن يَغۡفِرَ لَنَا رَبُّنَا خَطَـٰيَـٰنَآ أَن كُنَّآ أَوَّلَ ٱلۡمُؤۡمِنِينَ (٥١

50. Qaloo la dayra inna ila rabbina munqaliboona
51. Inna natmaAAu an yaghfira lana rabbuna khatayana an kunna awwala almu/mineena

50 ‘That will do us no harm,’ they said, ‘for we are sure to return to our Lord.
51 We hope that our Lord will forgive us our sins, as we were the first to believe.’

This ayah suggests that the magicians have been listening to Musa's dawah to the people, maybe in trying to study their opponent... Anyway, they make tawbah to Allah.

In the next few days, they are probably executed for daring the pharaoh....

NEXT:
i. Who was the pharaoh?? A comparison from the Quran and modern knowledge about egypt...

ii. THE BIG ESCAPE!!

3 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 12:28am On Apr 11, 2013
Who was the pharaoh?? A comparison from the Quran and modern knowledge about egypt

Knowledge from the Quran seems to suggest that Ramsess II was the pharaoh of the Quran, He served the longest which makes him the one most likely to raise Musa as a boy and still be alive when he returned. Allah knows best.

These are several interesting facts about this pharaoh in the Quran that seems to point to Ramsess II

Pharaoh as god

The Pharaoh in moses time claimed to be God, What does recent archeology tell us about that?

From the Quran:

Has the story of Moses reached thee? Behold, thy Lord did call to him in the sacred valley of Tuwa, "Go thou to Pharaoh for he has indeed transgressed all bounds: And say to him, ‘Wouldst thou that thou shouldst be purified (from sin)? - And that I guide thee to thy Lord, so thou shouldst fear Him?'" Then did (Moses) show him the Great Sign. But (Pharaoh) rejected it and disobeyed (guidance); Further, he turned his back, striving hard (against God). Then he collected (his men) and made a proclamation, Saying, "I am your Lord, Most High". [Qur'an 79:15-24]

Pharaoh said: "O Chiefs! no god do I know for you but myself... [Qur'an 28:38]

From Modern Archeology

[i]By the early New Kingdom, deification of the living king had become an established practice, and the living king could himself be worshipped and supplicated for aid as a god.
[D. P. Silverman,"grinivinities And Deities In Ancient Egypt" in B. E. Shafer (Ed.) Religion In Ancient Egypt: Gods Myths, And Personal Practice, 1991, Routledge: London, p. 64.]

Stela no. 410 of Hildesheim Museum shows two people, one is standing wearing the double crown with the uraeus, a short skirt, a necklace and holds the so-called handkerchief or seal in one hand [Figure 5(a)]. He is called: "King of Upper and Lower Egypt, the Lord of the Two Lands ‘Ramesses-meryamun, the God’".
{L. Habachi, Features Of The Deification Of Ramesses II, 1969, op. cit., p. 32}

It is clear that pharaohs were regarded as gods... Let us examine a more specific detail.

2. Pharaoh Ramssess and buildings

From the Quran:

Or have they the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all between? If so, let them mount up with the ropes and means (to reach that end)! But there - will be put to flight even a host of confederates. Before them (were many who) rejected messengers,- the people of Noah, and ‘Ad, and Pharaoh, the Owner of Stakes, and Thamud, and the people of Lut, and the Companions of the Wood; - such were the Confederates. [Qur'an 38:10-13]

One meaning of this is that this pharoah had many buildings...

Ibn ʿAbbās (companion of the prophet) said: It means the lord of the secure building. Al-Ḍaḥḥāk said: He owned many buildings; buildings are called awtād. [/b]Also according to Ibn ʿAbbās as well as Qatādah and ʿAṭāʾ: He owned stakes and ropes and playgrounds where he was entertained.

Of all the Pharaohs, Ramesses II is the most renowned for his buildings::

[b]
From Modern Archeology

As a monument builder Ramesses II stands pre-eminent amongst the pharaohs of Egypt. Although Khufu had created the Great Pyramid, Ramesses' hand lay over the whole land. True, he thought nothing of adding his name to other kings' monuments and statues right back to the Middle Kingdom, so that nowadays the majority of cartouches seen on almost any monument proclaim his throne name - User-maat-re ('the justice of Re is strong').

[P. A. Clayton, Chronicle Of The Pharaohs: The Reign-By-Reign Record Of The Rulers And Dynasties Of Ancient Egypt, 1994, Thames and Hudson Ltd.: London (UK), pp. 153-154. ]

SubhanAllah, Allah emphasises his ownership of buildings and Ramssess II seems to be the most renowned in owning buildings.

Also, there is another Interesting statement in the Quran:

From the Quran

And We made a people, considered weak (and of no account), inheritors of lands in both east and west, - lands whereon We sent down Our blessings. The fair promise of thy Lord was fulfilled for the Children of Israel , because they had patience and constancy, and We levelled to the ground the great works and fine buildings which Pharaoh and his people erected (with such pride) [mā kāna yaṣnaʿu firʿawna wa qawhumū wa mā kānū yaʿrishūn]. [Qur'an 7:137]

Allah emphasises levelling to the ground the beautiful building raised by this pharaoh.... We now know that Ramssess II built the vastest and most costly royal residence ever erected. This was destroyed and levelled...

From Modern Archeology

[i]Per Ramesses was probably the vastest and most costly royal residence ever erected by the hand of man. As can now be seen its known palace and official centre covered an area of at least four square miles, and its temples were in scale with this, a colossal assemblage forming perhaps the largest collection of chapels built in the pre-classical world by a single ruler at one time.

[E. P. Uphill, The Temples Of Per Ramesses, 1984, Aris & Phillips, Warminster: England, p. 1.]

The once great Per Ramesses now lies in ruins, this is likely the destruction of the magnificent city talked about in the Quran::

3. The day of festival

"But we can surely produce magic to match thine! So make a tryst between us and thee, which we shall not fail to keep - neither we nor thou - in a place where both shall have even chances." Moses said: "Your tryst is the Day of the Festival [yaum al-zīna], and let the people be assembled when the sun is well up." [Qur'an 20:58-59]

Could it be talking about the Heb-Sed (or simply Sed) festival? The festival celebrated 30 years after a new king then every three years after...

SubhanAllah, There are more details about ancient egypt in the Quran..

Was Ramssess II, the Quranic pharaoh??

Allah knows best.

4 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 5:17pm On Apr 11, 2013
Next up: THE BIG ESCAPE!!

1 Like

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by mohammad11: 4:57pm On Apr 12, 2013
Jazakallahu khayran for this beautiful story. MashaAllah i love it.
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 8:03pm On Apr 12, 2013
mohammad11: Jazakallahu khayran for this beautiful story. MashaAllah i love it.

Wa iyyakum. In Sha Allah, the next part will be up soon.
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 1:51am On Apr 14, 2013
THE BIG ESCAPE

As pharaoh is busy executing the magicians and probably trying to hold emergency meetings about what to do next. He has not decided what to do with Musa (alayhi salam)but he has to contain the crisis situation first. Before you deal with the enemy, you have to deal with the in-house problems.

Immediately he finishes dealing with the magicians, He is going to come after Musa... So Allah reveals to Musa:

Ayah 52, 53

Waawhayna ila moosa an asri biAAibadee innakum muttabaAAoona
Faarsala firAAawnu fee almada-ini hashireena

Then We revealed Our will to Moses, ‘Leave with My slaves by night, for you will surely be pursued !’
Pharaoh sent into all of the cities recruits, proclaiming,

Allah says: You are going to be followed, you need to leave in the middle of the night. Pharaoah discovers this and sent to all the cities recruits, army recruits, He wants to gather an army for the chase, He wants to deal with problem once and for all. He is going to kill them all.

In modern media, 10,000 people are killed and the report could say only 300. Propaganda seems to suggest that large populations are nothing. This is done so that the people do not think of how many are being massacred.. Pharaoh employs a similar ploy:

Ayah 54, 55 56

54. Inna haola-i la shirthima tun qaleeloona
55. Wa-innahum lana lagha-ithoona
56. Wa-inna lajameeAAun hathir oona

54.These people are a puny band––
55 they have enraged us–
56 and we are a large army, on the alert.’

These people are just a very small bunch of very powerless (useless) people. shirthima is used for a small band of people that have no power. These were the same words used against the messenger (Peace and blessings be upon him) and the muslims in mecca. Remember the other story, happening in parallel... The muslims are also being called shirthima at this time and eventually they come after them in mecca.

A few people killed is not a big deal. These people have made us very angry... The recruiters went around inciting people to hate the Musa and his fellow muslims. They were giving speeches on how they should be angry at this threat to their nation. The children of Israel are going to destroy their country... SubhanAllah, the ayah also means that those muslims are so mad at us, they may become a threat against our great nation, if we let them go. The meanings can be reversed.

We know the great danger they possess, We are on alert. We have to look out for our nation. We have to go after them. We are not killing innocent people, we have to protect our country. hathir is used for a fear that is real or presumed. This case is presumed, We have enslaved them for so long, If they get away, they might come after us.

The people joined the army...

Allah says in the next ayah:

57. Faakhrajnahum min jannatin waAAuyoonin
58. Wakunoozin wamaqamin kareemin
59. Kathalika waawrathnaha banee isra-eela

57 So it was that We made them leave their gardens and their springs,
58 their treasures and their noble dwellings–
59 We gave [such] things [later] to the Children of Israel.

Allah brought them out from their beautiful buildings and gardens. Those great buildings by the nile. They used to have gardens and springs and treasures ..

Allah said : WE brought them out.. Not the recruiters who gave the speeches... Allah says We brought them out.

They left all of their treasures to come after the children of Israel. Allah says look at what they left behind, they are never going to see those things again.

And eventually, we gave, treasures and gardens and buildings to the children of Israel.

Immediately they noticed, they were gone, Recruiters was sent to all the cities... A large army is assembled. They wait till sun rise to pursue...

Ayah 60 & 61

60. FaatbaAAoohum mushriqeena
61. Falamma taraa aljamAAani qala as-habu moosa inna lamudrakoona

60. Pharaoh and his people pursued them at sunrise,
61 and as soon as the two sides came within sight of one another, Moses’ followers said, ‘We shall definitely be caught (from behind).’

The people of Musa have had a head start because they headed out in the middle of the night. They are heading out with women, children luggage etc, They get to the sea and the people of musa see in the horizon, the army of pharaoh racing towards them...

Imagine this scenario, a cloud of dust shows up in the horizon, the earth begins to shake... The people of Musa (alayhi Salam) saw the army coming towards them and they could see no escape. Imagine the fear: Oh my God, they are here.... Some people might have wet their pants...

Some of the followers of Musa (alayhi salam) begin to despair, WE ARE DONE>>> They are definitely going to catch us now... Like a lion catches a deer from behind... We are finished....

Ayah 62

62. Qala kalla inna maAAiya rabbee sayahdeeni
63. Faawhayna ila moosa ani idrib biAAasaka albahra fainfalaqa fakana kullu firqin kaalttawdi alAAatheemi

62. Moses said, ‘No, my master is with me: He will guide me,’
63 and We revealed to Moses: ‘Strike the sea with your staff.’ It parted– each side like a mighty mountain–

Musa calms the people, He says KALLA... Which is a very strong no in the arabia language... Certainly not.... My master is with me, He will guide me... Musa knows Allah has always got a plan, He has no doubts about that.

Then Allah revealed to Musa, to strike the water with his staff... The sea ripped open... It split into two equal halves (from the language)... Each of the parts was like a huge mountain... The population of people walks on the floor of the sea... Women children and men...

Imagine this scene, incredible...

Ayah 64, 65 & 66

64. Waazlafna thamma al-akhareena
65. Waanjayna moosa waman maAAahu ajmaAAeena
66. Thumma aghraqna al-akhareena

64 and We brought the others way close
65 We saved Moses and all his companions,
66 and drowned the rest.

The army of pharaoh came really close to them but they couldn't quite reach them... Imagine the haste and rushing as the army gets closer...

Allah saved Musa and all of his companions and drowned the rest... Allah does not even acknowledge them, He calls the 'the rest'... They were annihilated.

The Children of Israel got to the other side...

Alhamdulilah....

Next up: The Story of Yusuf

Make dua..

6 Likes

Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by kemiola89(f): 6:57am On Apr 14, 2013
Interesting!!! You are a great story teller. Jazakallahu khayran.
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 9:03am On Apr 14, 2013
kemiola89: Interesting!!! You are a great story teller. Jazakallahu khayran.

Wa iyyakum......
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 6:42am On Aug 06, 2013
In shaa Allah, the story of Yusuf should start after Ramadan...

Make du'a
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 3:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
A reminder for Ashura....
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 6:01pm On Nov 12, 2013
Far more interesting reading it than writing it.
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 4:20pm On Aug 09, 2014
Aishaquest
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by aishaquest(f): 4:13am On Aug 10, 2014
tbaba1234: Aishaquest

I'm here. I just finished reading. You told the story well. Thanks for the effort. May Allah guide your narration. smiley
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by Hkana: 5:09pm On Aug 10, 2014
Wow.... Jazakallahu khairan for taking out time to write this.

Erm.... The story has quite ended, you didn't add how pharaoh acted in the end cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh by tbaba1234: 1:06pm On Aug 11, 2014
Hkana: Wow.... Jazakallahu khairan for taking out time to write this.

Erm.... The story has quite ended, you didn't add how pharaoh acted in the end cheesy cheesy cheesy

Wa iyyakum

Parts of the story are in other surahs..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs / Eid-al Filtr: Chinwe Chibuike Foundation Donates Goats, Prayer Mats To Muslims / The "Fingerprints" Of GOD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.