Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,812 members, 7,798,742 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption (8086 Views)

Appeal Court Gives CCT Go Ahead To Try Saraki For Corruption / North Demands Death Penalty For Corruption / Death Penalty For Exam Malpractices In Nigeria? - Satire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by bcomputer101: 9:06am On Apr 04, 2013
Akunyili Backs Death Penalty For Corruption

Former Minister of Information and Communications, Prof. Dora Akunyili, has supported the call for capital punishment for corrupt practices in order to transform the country.

Akunyili, who was the guest lecturer at the 7th lecture of the College of Natural and Applied Sciences, Bells University of Technology, Ota, Ogun State, on Wednesday, said the desired change in the country had been hampered by corruption, insecurity, poor leadership among others social vices.

She said, “In China, it is death penalty for corruption. I believe if we are really serious about fighting corruption, there is the need to insert harsher clauses to make corruption less attractive, just like they do in China.

“Once, one, two, three, four corrupt people are executed for corruption, some others who have such tendency will definitely fall in line.”

According to Akunyili, if the government fails to punish corrupt practices, it might as well be promoting it.

She added, “We just have to find a way to decisively fight corruption before it completely ruins this beautiful country.”

The former minister, who presented a paper entitled ‘National Transformation: the Challenge of our Time’, also suggested that the government must introduce a social security scheme for the unemployed youths as done in the United States and the United Kingdom.

She noted that government in those countries paid stipend to their unemployed so that the lives of the rich and middle class would be secured.

She added, “It is common sense that the rich will remain unsafe in the midst of a hungry and angry majority. Government in the Western world understands that the negative energy vibrating from such people is enough to create discomfort.”

Akunyili, who suggested that the government could start the scheme with the physically challenged and the aged, commended the Ekiti State Government for introducing a social security for the aged.

“To me, being a good leader means being a principled leader, and being principled simply means being a man or woman of your words, being guarded by the right moral compass, doing the right thing anytime, anywhere and even in the face of threats of any type. It is simply leadership by example,” she stated.

According to her, when a leader compromised his position by sharing filthy lucre with his or her subordinates, he or she has lost the right leadership authority and incapable of instilling any discipline in the work force.

She said, “When I was in NAFDAC, if I had allowed officers in the ports or the registration desks and other sensitive areas to make returns to me, we would not have been able to record any success in sanitising the food and drug sector.

Vice-Chancellor of the university, Prof Isaac Adeyemi, said the institution invited Akunyili because of her pedigree and contributions to the nation’s development.

http://www.punchng.com/news/akunyili-backs-death-penalty-for-corruption/

3 Likes

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by vizboy(m): 9:13am On Apr 04, 2013
I just wish these death sentence could be implemented by GEJ. Government then all the excess coruption will stop

1 Like

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Nobody: 9:43am On Apr 04, 2013
who in dis world gives him self death penalty? They are all corrupt so why bother.

8 Likes

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Boss13: 10:02am On Apr 04, 2013
That's the work of civil societies to pressurize the government to do something about corruption. The only time we hear we have civil societies is when the government increases or plans to increase fuel price. Also I sometimes believe the word corruption is wrongly used by we Nigerians. Corruption to the average Nigerian is the act of stealing public funds by public office holders. This implies that other forms of corruptions are normal to practice. Hence, we need to address what kind of corruption government should address - public office corruption, private office corruption, bribes or wet the pocket corruption, nepotism/favoritism corruption, political corruption a.k.a godfatherism e.t.c. Else we will have to live long with corruption or as well legalize it.

14 Likes

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by GraceBestowed(f): 10:13am On Apr 04, 2013
She's comparing Nigeria to a communist country where its citizens are mostly repressed! I do not support the death penalty, I believe in life sentences without parole, but the death penalty, no!

In the U.K, where they don't implement the death penalty, corruption is not the order of the day! These people need to start from themselves, and stop targeting other thieves!

A man steals millions, if not billions, of dollars, and is either pardoned, asked to pay a meagre fine, or imprisoned for an insulting (to the people) number of years; whilst someone who steals meat from the market is either lynched, imprisoned indefinitely, or executed!

I will take my words back if this woman's hands are clean. Coming here to talk about death penalty! Abeg!!

2 Likes

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Ebestsmscom: 10:16am On Apr 04, 2013
If they implement this that means 98% politicians will be dead including Mr president.

She just want to talk because it has been a long time we heard from her.

7 Likes

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by mshd5: 10:18am On Apr 04, 2013
Yes to death penalty
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Nobody: 10:18am On Apr 04, 2013
Even Alamesigha will soon come out to support death penalty

4 Likes

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Boss13: 10:18am On Apr 04, 2013
Ebestsms.com:
If they implement this that means 98% politicians will be dead including Mr president.

She just want to talk because it has been a long time we heard from her.

Even her too.

1 Like

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Codedrock(m): 10:19am On Apr 04, 2013
Sowi o
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by alickdavid(m): 10:21am On Apr 04, 2013
If it is implemented, i'm very sure it wud only affect d common man in d street dat stole jus a N20 or maggi cube.
Prof go and sit down jare

4 Likes

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 04, 2013
Wise words from a wise woman.
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Nobody: 10:26am On Apr 04, 2013
vizboy: I just wish these death sentence could be implemented by GEJ. Government then all the excess coruption will stop
Jonathan will be first to be killed.

3 Likes

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by buoye1(m): 10:28am On Apr 04, 2013
good....8th or 9th sha
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Ebestsmscom: 10:30am On Apr 04, 2013
Boss13:

Even her too.

Are you a leaner.

I will like if they sign it into law but I think they will do that on one condition by wiping away their past.
That means it will not reflect the pass money stole.

1 Like

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Bolt2011(m): 10:30am On Apr 04, 2013
She dares to be different.

No wonder they don't want her in government

The truth will surely catch up with their insincerity. Its a matter of time.

2 Likes

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by dedons: 10:30am On Apr 04, 2013
Her own ogas @ d top go soon open ha nyansh
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by chukxie(m): 10:33am On Apr 04, 2013
Dealth penalty would serve as a deterrent to any corrupt minded public office holder.
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 04, 2013
Anyway i will be happy if they will not use it to kill innorcent people.
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Nobody: 10:37am On Apr 04, 2013
Fashola/Akunyili for President, with this combination, nobody will tell GEJ/PDP that the game is over and many of them will run away or they will be jail

1 Like

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by chukxie(m): 10:38am On Apr 04, 2013
Death penalty would serve as a deterrent to all those corrupt-minded public office holders who are hell bent on enriching themselves while the people they were elected to serve rot in penury. I support it 100%.
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Revolva(m): 10:39am On Apr 04, 2013
Nigerians are only good in talking and talking oya action time nobody go see dem..now death penalty almost all of dese ministers are also currupt..madam Akunyili no body holy pass...ooo wat if she is a judge and her blood brother was arrannged for looting..na she go first corner d case ..case go die!!!
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by obowunmi(m): 10:40am On Apr 04, 2013
No, don't say. Akunyili should be the first woman hanged... thief herself... talking! angry angry

Her kids are in expensive apartments in NYC......Political favors got their school fees paid...

1 Like

Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by adahib: 10:41am On Apr 04, 2013
I'm a strong advocate of capital punishment.way to go akunyili,but this is just wishful thinking sha.
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by igbeke: 10:43am On Apr 04, 2013
a gud tot frm a well respected prof.
but...
Mr GEJ has no political will to impliment it.
so sad.
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by jimharry21(m): 10:53am On Apr 04, 2013
hahahha, Madam NAFDAC, Mrs. Re-branding! i just want to inform you that Idumota and Head-bridge boyz have re-branded their counterfeited drugs after OBJ re-branded your track record.
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by gerald09(m): 10:59am On Apr 04, 2013
OccupyNigeria its tym to come out n support dis, Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ need capital punishment on corruption its tym Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ take back our country from thugs n thieves. Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ need to hav a peaceful protest to support dis.
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by nezpablo: 11:01am On Apr 04, 2013
Naija laws are not for the rich or the people in power. But its for the poor and the innocent masses. If approved,na masses go dey die like chicken.
Re: Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption by Samelfisha(m): 11:05am On Apr 04, 2013
Hmmm dats a nice thought for mhe bt nt to d politicians cuz dy wll oll die if dy implement diz talk nd bull story dat later dy wll nt follow...nd who z dat woman who z stll lukin 4 seat plz i hav a wide open gate wit no security in ma home.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reset Nigeria Threaten Not To Support PDP If Presidency Isn't Zoned To The South / Enyinnaya Nwafor Paid Don Ubani N5m To Attack Gov. Ikpeazu - Ex-LGA Chair / I Had A Productive Interaction With Security Men, Gumi Confirms Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.