Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,648 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:00 AM

Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh (20901 Views)

Sunday Oliseh At Bayern Munich Stadium ( Allianz Arena) / Sunday Oliseh, Invites 23 Players For Tanzania Match / The Craziest,most Ridiculous Cars Owned By Sports Stars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by mikedaniel76gmailcom(m): 7:12pm On Apr 09, 2013
Raypawer: This applies to all individuals if u want to stay rich. Esp Financial Education which was earlier talked about by Robert Kiyosaki in his book RICH DAD, POOR DAD, RETIRE YOUNG RETIRE $ RICH... Its so educative..
Guess ur not current. Need I announce to u dat kiyosaki is now so broke dat he has filed for bankruptsy?
How comes all the principles in his book couldn't save his broke ass. Goss!!
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by NLGwoodey: 7:14pm On Apr 09, 2013
Paulaok4:
I heard the writer is broke now.

Yep...he filed for bankruptcy. LOL

Babalawo wey no fit cure himself

For money matter, na easier said than done.

By SUSANNA KIM (@skimm)
Oct. 12, 2012

Robert Kiyosaki, author of the book, "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" filed for bankruptcy.

..Kiyosaki first published "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" in the 1990s, eventually becoming a New York Times best-seller despite criticism of his personal finance tips, such as his emphasis on real estate investing.

He went on to write a number of follow-up books such as "Retire Young, Retire Rich," and "Midas Touch," co-authored with real estate mogul and television personality Donald Trump.

Rich Global LLC filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection on Aug. 20 in a Wyoming bankruptcy court, the New York Post reported this week. Kiyosaki and his bankruptcy attorney did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by CHIDONE: 7:22pm On Apr 09, 2013
[b][/b]
Reyspin: I doubt if this piece originated from Sunday Oliseh..I never know him to this smart..But this piece is a very insightful advice for our footballer..

It's like you dont use to listen to dz guy analysis during the just concluded Afcon.You better wake up
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by brosdoncome(m): 7:33pm On Apr 09, 2013
Reyspin: I doubt if this piece originated from Sunday Oliseh..I never know him to this smart..But this piece is a very insightful advice for our footballer..

Why can't it originate from Sunday Oliseh? Apart from Samuel okwaraji, Sunday Oliseh is d most successful "educated" football out of the National team. Churchill, his brother is an international lawyer who won a crucial case against Borrusia Dortmund in d late 90s'. Don't under-rate the intellectual competence of him just because he is a sportsman.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by Nobody: 8:14pm On Apr 09, 2013
Long story!!!
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by goldfish80(m): 8:16pm On Apr 09, 2013
brixton:

Okocha?
I asked the same question bro... Same guy who wanted to go play in India at some point to make ends meet, literary speaking
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by chessguru1(m): 8:30pm On Apr 09, 2013
honeric01: Nigerian players that won't smell bankrupty:

Keshi
Mikel
Kanu
OKocha
Garbal Lawal
OLiseh
Enyeama
Yobo
Olofinjana.

These guys know what money management is all abou
Enuf respect to olofinjana! D dude had a masters in chemical engineering While still playing for wolves
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by fitzmayowa: 8:54pm On Apr 09, 2013
*following*

1 Like

Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by Itoroetti(m): 10:06pm On Apr 09, 2013
k2039: This is not applicable to sport men alone but every individual who wants to be rich throughout his/her life span.
seems u didnt read it well.he said"sportsmen unlike normal millionaire makes their money at a tender age and d bump into money so quickly".this makes them spend it in an"awof" manner.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by Itoroetti(m): 10:10pm On Apr 09, 2013
broda,go and read more about oliseh .he is d smartest n most intelligent sportmen of his era,excluding odegbami and adokiye' era.read all his post and commentary.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by Itoroetti(m): 10:12pm On Apr 09, 2013
honeric01: Nigerian players that won't smell bankrupty:

Keshi
Mikel
Kanu
OKocha
Garbal Lawal
OLiseh
Enyeama
Yobo
Olofinjana.

These guys know what money management is all abou
tell me about ur fact cos i heard okocha's fortune has dwindle.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by Itoroetti(m): 10:15pm On Apr 09, 2013
sherbol: this is a beautiful write-up.am gonna print dis out and paste it where i will read every morning.human beings forget easily and very fast alot.may God helps all,ameen!

one of d best comment i read.thumbs up guy.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by Sike(m): 10:38pm On Apr 09, 2013
This is serious!!
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by brixton: 11:26pm On Apr 09, 2013
goldfish80:
I asked the same question bro... Same guy who wanted to go play in India at some point to make ends meet, literary speaking

trust me beta nt to reply dat poster...Okocha dat sold his club10 to jazzy. His wife has wrecked him o
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by honeric01(m): 6:35am On Apr 10, 2013
Itoroetti :

tell me about ur fact cos i heard okocha's fortune has dwindle.

You heard, you heard, you heard? so what should i do with your "you heard"?

brixton:

trust me beta nt to reply dat poster...Okocha dat sold his club10 to jazzy. His wife has wrecked him o

Selling one's club automatically means "poor"?
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by hunkydory(m): 7:06am On Apr 10, 2013
Do you expect him to be stagnant?.He has developed his mind and that is why he sounds and is better than what you used to know him to be.Anybody can become smarter,all it takes is training and reading the right books.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by goldfish80(m): 7:29am On Apr 10, 2013
brixton:

He came to Enugu to bid for shoprite game centre, he was out bidded.some delusional ones think he's that rich.And to think that this same guy retired from football barely 4years ago. Let's see how things are for him when he's well into his fiftes.stingyness has moduled him up.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by honeric01(m): 7:33am On Apr 10, 2013
goldfish80:
He came to Enugu to bid for shoprite game centre, he was out bidded.some delusional ones think he's that rich.And to think that this same guy retired from football barely 4years ago. Let's see how things are for him when he's well into his fiftes. stingyness has moduled him up.

But wait o, why the hate?
Because he refused to give you or anyone you know free money, you are now courting for his "downfall"?

Remember it's his money and he can do whatever he likes with it, when you start making yours, you can become a Santa Claus.

Being "economical" with money sometimes is part of money management.

1 Like

Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by Slankey: 7:52am On Apr 10, 2013

This is one of the few footballers that had his degree even while playing active football? Did u listen to his analysis during the AFCON at all? If you did, then you should doubt his intelligence.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by Ninilowo(m): 8:40am On Apr 10, 2013
Oliseh is highly educated now. I gat to know more of him at AFCON 2013.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by goldfish80(m): 9:08am On Apr 10, 2013
honeric01:

But wait o, why the hate?
Because he refused to give you or anyone you know free money, you are now courting for his "downfall"?

Remember it's his money and he can do whatever he likes with it, when you start making yours, you can become a Santa Claus.

Being "economical" with money sometimes is part of money management.
Hate ke, bros am not age mates with him, neither am I friends with him ,how could hav asked him for money?
Απϑ talk about being 'economical' I guess that explains the fact that he has never bought α N500 felele football απϑ give to Nike grammar school who brought him to limelight before he signed for rangers. Bros abeg leave matter απϑ stick to what you know. Ask the real Jay jay(Emma okocha) about his brother, he will tell you more.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by raphealolami(m): 9:25am On Apr 10, 2013
honeric01:

rich enough to own houses in nigeria, the us and germany.

Has businesses too and if you look at him, you'd see the signs of 'wealth' on his person. His pride and arrogance too is a tip.
if u take ur time to analytically watch the analysis of Sunday Oliseh in the AFCON u will realize the oliseh of now is totally different form the one we use to see in the super eagles. Very humble and focused.
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by StepG: 10:42am On Apr 10, 2013
contactwale: Sixty-five per cent of sportsmen go broke (bankrupt) after they quit the limelight.

In England wages of footballers average £30 000 a week (more than many households earn annually) but seven out of every ten ex-footballers are said to be 'broke' and having serious difficulties making ends meet.

Legendary sportspeople like Mike Tyson(earnings: $350 million, )Evander Holyfield ($250 million), Allen Iverson ($154 million), Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and Steffi Graf all declared themselves broke after their illustrious careers.

In Africa the figures are worse but the fact that most ex-African stars are smart and stay away from the public eye when it happens has helped mask the magnitude.

One is forced to ask how on earth this is possible, judging by the enormous sums earned during their active days?

LACK OF FINANCIAL EDUCATION

Contrary to what most people think, sportsmen are not complete illiterates or un-educated. They are educated in the art of sports and not finance. To get to the top of the world, you have to focus all your time to your sport and school education suffers. Hence, in most cases, top athletes are not educated in financial matters. This is no excuse but they hardly devote time to learn how to manage money.

Most superstars originate from acutely poor backgrounds and, in most cases, are raised by financially poor but not necessarily morally poor parents. They generally have a good heart but when the riches come to these sportsmen, they are found wanting in the know-how to handle this sudden wealth.

Case Study: Mike Tyson, ex world heavyweight boxing champion

FAMILY AND FRIENDS

Especially among Coloured stars and Africans, a man's wealth is shared among his family and we do have huge families.

Once these sports stars hit the big time, these family members and friends have to be catered for: school fees, feeding allowances, house rents, burials and house purchases etc all are billed to the sports star who erroneously thinks it is his duty to pay this. They become the sole bread winners for family and friends.

The financial burden that these stars inherit from their family and extended families is so huge that it practically drains them dry.

How much to share with family, friends and their savings account is a dilemma for African stars. The African culture is a communal kind of life and a lovely one at that, where it is deemed normal to share your earnings among family, unlike the western style where your family is just you, your wife and children.

Case Study: Aranxta Sanchez Vicario of Spain, a top ex tennis star

EARNING TOO FAST

A "normal" millionaire builds his millions gradually but athletes make the majority of their income in a short period of time, at a very early age. The entrepreneur can save over that lengthy period and learn to manage wealth at his own pace, unlike young professional athletes.

This wealth breeds stubbornness and advice from well meaning people is often ignored. Youth is synonymous with errors, due to inexperience, and it is difficult to tell a rich, young sports star that his ideas are wrong. He will simply ask you, “If you know it better, why aren't you the rich one instead of me?”

Case Study: Mike Tyson, ex world heavyweight boxing champion (world champion at age 17)

LACK OF POST-CAREER PLANS

Very few athletes plan for their post-career life during their active days. The preparation of body and mind for the next stage in their lives is not there. Some even erroneously think they will continue in the sports system for long periods after retirement, as coaches, managers, journalists or analysts. However, there is limited space to accommodate all and these functions need some form of education and study, which most athletes lack.

SPENDING A LOT AND SAVING A LITTLE

Everyone earns money (if you work) but not everyone saves in the same degree as they earn. Some sports stars mostly think that these huge earnings are not temporary but will last a lifetime. A successful career lasts at the most 10 to 12 years but the athletes sometimes forget that if you retire at the age of 35 and God let's you live till 70, you still have another 35 years to live. Boy those years run slowly when the wealth is not there.

"I spent over a million dollars on jewellery"- Andre Rison, former NFL star

EXPENSIVE DIVORCES

Most sports stars meet their other halves when they are active and are at their best. Retirement means a change to their lifestyle and social standing and also to that of their spouses. This and the more frequent presence at home stifles and pressurises marriages. The end result is divorce and they usually are expensive. The effects are devastating and the inability to cope causes bankruptcy for many.

Case Study: Kenny Anderson (Ex basketball star) lost $60 million to ex-wives

BAD BUSINESS INVESTMENT

Naturally, with so much money earned, many athletes try to invest and follow bad advice from managers and so-called friends. In most cases they invest in ventures that they have no expertise in and often these deals go bad.

The success most athletes have as sportsmen seems to blind them from the fact that they might not be successful as businessmen, even in sports business.

Case Study: Evander Holyfield, ex world heavyweight boxing champion

"THE LIFE AFTER FOOTBALL SYNDROME"

At retirement, several sportsmen continue spending and living like they used to when they were active or at their prime. Hundreds of thousands are still spent on jewellery, mistresses and holiday homes in areas they hardly visit. These are quiet drains on their fortune and by the time they realise it, it is too late.

Most athletes have a problem transforming from active to passive sportsmen.

Case Study: Allen Iverson kept spending $360 000 every month after retirement

This piece is written with the aim of sharing with aspiring sportsmen the errors they should avoid and with parents so they know how to mould or guide their children.

In conclusion, to err is human but with success comes envy and jealousy and even criminality from dubious minds. One has to be careful and not err in a big way. The harder you try to earn honest money through sport success, the more there are people working even harder to separate you from that wealth.

As a sportsman people will love you but you have to love yourself most by being cautious and prayerful. od help us all!

http://www.supersport.com/football/blogs/sunday-oliseh/Why_sports_stars_go_broke
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by honeric01(m): 4:00pm On Apr 10, 2013
goldfish80:
Hate ke, bros am not age mates with him, neither am I friends with him ,how could hav asked him for money?
Απϑ talk about being 'economical' I guess that explains the fact that he has never bought α N500 felele football απϑ give to Nike grammar school who brought him to limelight before he signed for rangers. Bros abeg leave matter απϑ stick to what you know. Ask the real Jay jay(Emma okocha) about his brother, he will tell you more.

So how does being 'tight handed' equal being broke? Tell us what you know since you know!
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by kolamilan(m): 5:31pm On Apr 13, 2013
sherbol: this is a beautiful write-up.am gonna print dis out and paste it where i will read every morning.human beings forget easily and very fast alot.may God helps all,ameen!
read every morning? Go get money first before u start reading it
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by sherbol: 4:55pm On Dec 21, 2014
Have I come to u to beg for money?
kolamilan:
read every morning? Go get money first before u start reading it
Re: Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh by tck2000(m): 10:50pm On May 31, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ferri: Pitch Invader Won't Face Legal Action But Will Be Kicked Out Of Qatar / Italy Names Squad For Nigeria Friendly / Majority of fans say better if Messi had left Barcelona - AS survey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.