Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi (1013 Views)

Buhari Appoints Tolu Ogunlesi As His SA On Digital/New Media / The Economist Article: Tolu Ogunlesi's Attempt to wail By Proxy / ''Tolu Ogunlesi Wrote "The Economist" Article Calling GEJ ineffectual Buffoon'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 04, 2013
Last week, I had a very interesting meeting with someone who works for one of the world’s largest rice traders. I learnt a couple of fascinating things about agriculture in Nigeria. Of course, you know that rice is more than just rice. Any discussion about rice and Nigeria is bound to be a conversation about infrastructure,politics, security, government policy, sociology and globalisation and lots more.

So, I learnt from the discussion that Nigeria is the world’s largest importer of rice (and, by the way, wheat also). And it makes sense — with a population like ours, our penchant for importing things, and the disdain we show for local production. Combine those three factors and what you see is an ocean-sized flotilla sailing towards Apapa or Tin Can Island, bearing bags of rice.

Two things about the rice we import: Most of it come from Thailand and India, and virtually all of it is parboiled. Apparently that — parboiled rice — is an unusual taste; the rest of the world prefers“white” rice, according to this analyst I met. He then asked the question: “How did Nigeria get stuck on parboiled rice in the first place?”
If you have any answers please let me know. When did the enduring Nigerian fascination with rice begin? Did it predate the oil boom? And why parboiled rice?
I know that Nigerians above a certain age like to tell stories of how, when they were children, rice was a Christmas luxury, or restricted to party occasions. Richer families perhaps got it as “Sunday-Sunday medicine”. And then things changed after some time. Rice is now a Nigerian staple, available at every street corner. And in recent years ofada rice, apparently once looked down upon by the middle class, has now resurfaced as a cool item, so that you can find it on the menu in Lagos’ most expensive restaurants.

I also learnt, from my conversation, that the global rice market is an interesting one. Five countries account for more than 80 per cent of the world’s exportsof rice: India, Thailand, Vietnam, Pakistan and the United States. Move over to the import table, and things change dramatically: about 36 countries are jointly responsible for 80 per cent of exports. That is the table Nigeria sits atop.
Now consider that Nigerian appetite for rice, and place it side by side with this very interesting development: The Nigerian government has an ambitious self-sufficiency vision for rice; it aims to ensure that by 2015 Nigeria ceases the importation of rice. To this end, a sizable tariff has been slammed on imported rice.

As President Goodluck Jonathan said in August 2011, at a meeting with the International Fund for Agricultural Development: “There is no reason why Nigeria should be importing rice. We have all that is needed to grow enough for domestic consumption and have a surplus we can export to other countries.”

The big question therefore is, can this be done? Can Nigeria move from being the world’s largest importer of rice to being a zero importer, in two years?
Cement immediately comes to mind. Until a few years ago, Nigeria was one of the world’s largest importers of cement (those old enough will recall the “cement armada” that accompanied the seventies oil boom). Today, we produce enough cement locally to make us a net exporter. Within a decade, Nigeria grew local production by about 1,000 per cent. A cement revolution has clearly happened, rather swiftly and decisively, powered largely by Dangote and Lafarge. (It is important to point out that cement importation is not banned in Nigeria, and the combination of import and local manufacture recently led the main manufacturers to lament that there was a “glut” in the market, (whatever that means given that there was no reduction in the price as a result).

There’s a question: Can we replicate the cement revolution in rice? Of course, cement is not rice;rice has to be grown, cement is simply manufactured. Like everything that has to be grown, rice lies at the mercy of nature: farming cycles, soil quality, disease, rainfall, flooding, among others. One example: Last year’s devastating floods have caused a reassessment of Nigeria’s rice-producing capacity, perhaps further diminishing our capacity to hit a zero-imports level by 2015.

To achieve this Nigeria-Rice-ing dream requires the active collaboration of private and public sectors, and the general populace.
I think there’s reason to be optimistic. There’s, for one, the Agric Minister, Akin Adesina’s infectious passion for change. I consider him one of the few inspiring faces in the current cabinet. He has spoken again and again about turning Nigerian agriculture away from what it currently is — what I’d describe as Government Social Responsibility or ‘GSR’ — into a proper business, with huge potential for real economic impact. The opportunities are immense, for Nigeria to grow its GDP, feed itself, earn foreign exchange, and, very importantly, expand its middle class, through agriculture.

(CONTINUED BELOW)
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Nobody: 7:32pm On Apr 04, 2013
I’m hoping our big-budget companies can take some of their “entertainment” budgets and direct such into helping support an agricultural revolution. I have a dream that one day saving to starta farm will be as cool as saving to go into a music studio in this country.

There are already a number of people and organisations doing interesting things (and this is not meant to be an exhaustive list, just some of the initiatives I’m aware of): there’s the inspiring young farmer Mosunmola Umoru (she’s one of the most compelling advertisements for the potential of agriculture in Nigeria), and in Imo State, Nnaemeka Ikegwuonu, who runs a Farmers Radio project that provides useful information — market prices, weather information and farming tips — to small holder farmers in Igbo language; and also distributes improved seed varieties.

All evidence point to the fact that Nigeria can rice, if we’re determined to rise. And if we can do it successfully, perhaps in that we will find the confidence to tackle other giants. We’re spending far too much foreign exchange importing food into a country blessed with an almost infinite capacity to produce its own food. Until Teragro, the agri-business subsidiary of Transcorp opened its fruit juice concentrate manufacturing plant in Benue State a year ago, it’s said that Nigeria was importing almost 100 per cent of its concentrate needs.

And this is where the government comes in, as the primary enabler of reform and revolution. Agriculture needs infrastructure, and it is the duty of the government to facilitate the provision of that, whether directly or via public-private partnerships. Farm produce need roads and barges and railway carriages, to enable the speedy and inexpensive movement of produce to market. I know that in Ekiti, for example, the state government is determinedly working on a road project to open up far-flung rural areas, mandating local governments to build a minimum number of kilometres of roads per annum; efforts critical in a state that is largely agrarian.

I’m not a great fan of SURE-P, but it appears to be doing a decent job with trying to complete the roads and bridges and railways the real government has made a habit out of abandoning. There’s a lot of potential in using Nigeria’s abundant waterways, if only the government would be sensible enough to dredge them.

I’ll end on what I consider a happy note. Weeks ago in Lagos, Iran into an old schoolmate of mine, we attended secondary school together. I don’t think I’d seen him in 15 years. I asked what he was doing for a living. He works in a bank, he said, but he’s quitting this year, to go and farm in Ibadan. That impressed and excited me a great deal. The story of Nigeria is of people leaving the farms to go and work in offices, lured by the oil money flowing around and destroying our capacity for real productivity. To hear someone I know making plans to buck that trend is great news. Here I am wishing him all the best!

http://reubenabati.com.ng/The-Nigeria-rice-ing-dream-By-Tolu.html
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Nobody: 7:32pm On Apr 04, 2013
Self sufficiency in rice production is possible but can not be achieved in two years as being speculated by Jonathan.
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by nig2change: 7:37pm On Apr 04, 2013
Fascinating report on GEJ transformation agenda. We need to do more. This country is about to explode positively.
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by phantom(m): 7:59pm On Apr 04, 2013
I am optimistic.good things are in the offing.nigeria has no business importing rice and most of what we import anyway.i remember in the 80's a program in riversstate, the school to land program that aimed to encourage young school leavers to take up farming.that program died a painful death and God knows if it had been sustained we would have been a lot better for it today.the agric minister is a sound man and i believe with the right focus we can cut down our rice imports drastically.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Nobody: 8:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
Who can do agric better than Akinwumi Adesina? None!
FRESH AIR everywhere you go!
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Freeanijoo(m): 8:24pm On Apr 04, 2013
@sincerenigerian, apart from youwin initiative by GEJ (our commercial banks out of it) which other platform can someone secure loan purely for agricultural purpose? From my observation, i believe venturing into agro-biz is worth it, there is a huge potential in that sector.
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Pataki: 8:37pm On Apr 04, 2013
This is all crap!

How many rice processing factories are in Nigeria? I have toured the whole of SW and I cannot find a single large-scale rice farm. Furthermore, the sole reason why Nigerians have strong preference for exotic rice than locally made rice is simply because of impurities in our local rice. Therefore the scale of local rice production is very minimal in Nigeria. To improve rice production in Nigeria, we need world class rice processing factory. Otherwise the dude thinking of rice farming is only wasting his time.

The NERICA project being funded by the FG and ADB, has not yeilded much. It is all an experimentation process.

I have extensive inside information especially on rice cultivation and this report by Tolu (who was my classmate in Primary school), is pure praise singing of the clueless administration of Jonathan.
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 04, 2013
Freeanijoo: @sincerenigerian, apart from youwin initiative by GEJ (our commercial banks out of it) which other platform can someone secure loan purely for agricultural purpose? From my observation, i believe venturing into agro-biz is worth it, there is a huge potential in that sector.
I think you best bet is to visit the nearest Bank of Agric. It appears Bank of Industry can also help, but I'm not sure.
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Nobody: 8:53pm On Apr 04, 2013
Pataki: This is all crap!

How many rice processing factories are in Nigeria? I have toured the whole of SW and I cannot find a single large-scale rice farm. Furthermore, the sole reason why Nigerians have strong preference for exotic rice than locally made rice is simply because of impurities in our local rice. Therefore the scale of local rice production is very minimal in Nigeria. To improve rice production in Nigeria, we need world class rice processing factory. Otherwise the dude thinking of rice farming is only wasting his time.

The NERICA project being funded by the FG and ADB, has not yeilded much. It is all an experimentation process.

I have extensive inside information especially on rice cultivation and this report by Tolu (who was my classmate in Primary school), is pure praise singing of the clueless administration of Jonathan.
Another rant of a notorious HATER. If you had written otherwise, the world would have been surprised.
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Nightshift(m): 9:08pm On Apr 04, 2013
Parboiled rice consumed in Nigeria are mostly tasteless. The local Abakaliki rice is more tasteful and nutritious. Friends in Europe couldn't eat enough of Abakaliki rice i brought when i visited Nigeria. It tastes more like Basmati or Jasmine rice. Some of the imported rice in our markets have spent almost a decade in silos in Asia waiting for gullible Nigerian consumers. A well de-stoned Abakaliki rice is my 1st choice any day.
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Nobody: 9:08pm On Apr 04, 2013
ohooo! are they planning to stop the importation of rice? no wahala! Seme border is not far from my house. I can always go there to get my bag of rice. This is the same thing they did to frozen foods especially chicken and turkey yet you see cold rooms in ijora selling imported frozen birds. how did they manage to enter the country? because of the selfishness of Obasanjo, the price of a carton of frozen chicken sky rocketed. frozen birds in now available only for the rich.Thanks to Seme border where i can still get my frozen birds.

As long as the Government does not invest in rice production in Nigeria, please they shouldn't dare stop the importation! I can't afford to buy a bag of rice for 20 thousand naira!
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Pataki: 10:53am On Apr 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Another rant of a notorious HATER. If you had written otherwise, the world would have been surprised.

My friend zip your ediotic illiterate gob if you have nothing intellectual upstairs to spew out.

It is well known that local rice from Nigeria is far more nutritious than the rice being exported mainly from Thailand into Nigeria. Nevertheless, it is still gross failure from our government in promoting local rice production. Even foreign investors are not interested in coming to Nigeria to invest in rice production. Where is VEETEE rice today? Every investor know, Nigeria is the haven of corruption! No thanks to our useless scumbag of a president.

I am very privileged to information. I have even attended several states rice farmers meeting in the SW. I know what these farmers go through. Should we start from the use of tractors, availability of rice seeds and the politics behind it? Or should we talk about farmers not having technical input from the government towards sustainable farming practices?

You must be heavily drunk to think that everyone drinks from the bottle of foolishness that you are well known for. I won't even be surprised if Tolu equally goes the way of Ruben Abati in the long term of things.
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Pataki: 11:05am On Apr 05, 2013
Some ignorant comment by the author of this post.

Nigerians do not have or shown disdain for local rice. Well in fact, Nigerians love local rice. Our problem with local rice is that it is full of stones. No one wants to be eating rice and start having to break their teeth cracking stones in the pleasure of enjoying their meal. This is why exotic rice is most preferred.

Tolu should have undertaken a mini-research for local food vendor to find out how often people demand for ofada rice. Go across ADP states in the SW and enquire what is the preference of most people when it comes to local rice or exotic rice.

It smacks of laziness and pride when you write an article based on your meeting an important person in the rice importation and exportation business.
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by tomakint: 11:18am On Apr 05, 2013
Pataki: This is all crap!

Another big reason why you have stopped being 'Pataki' on Nairaland! undecided Use your eyes to see, use your brain to think, stop being a loner and hater just for the fun of it, if you must criticize please do with a REASON angry
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Pataki: 2:57pm On Apr 05, 2013
tomakint:
Another big reason why you have stopped being 'Pataki' on Nairaland! undecided Use your eyes to see, use your brain to think, stop being a loner and hater just for the fun of it, if you must criticize please do with a REASON angry

It seems you have developed a penchant for following me up and down bleating like a demented goat and regurgitating the same ediotic balderdash. I pity your nairaland existence.

If it were not that you are a troubled disturbed being, what in the foolish comment of yours above represents any iota of intellectual reasoning?

What do you know about Agricultural farming? Which of the States have you visited to know the rice programme they are implementing? It is asinine beings like you that continue to support the scumbag without actually using your cranial cavity to think if the scumbag is right. Do you know of the YES programme that Lagos State is undertaking @ Badagary? Tell me one rice development project that the Federal Government has successfully implemented?

Demented dolts scampering the internet looking for praise singing articles of the scumbag without sitting down for a second to mull over the entire veracity of the article. Foolish boy!
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by tomakint: 3:22pm On Apr 05, 2013
Pataki:

It seems you have developed a penchant for following me up and down bleating like a demented goat and regurgitating the same ediotic balderdash. I pity your nairaland existence.

If it were not that you are a troubled disturbed being, what in the foolish comment of yours above represents any iota of intellectual reasoning?

What do you know about Agricultural farming? Which of the States have you visited to know the rice programme they are implementing? It is asinine beings like you that continue to support the scumbag without actually using your cranial cavity to think if the scumbag is right. Do you know of the YES programme that Lagos State is undertaking @ Badagary? Tell me one rice development project that the Federal Government has successfully implemented?

Demented dolts scampering the internet looking for praise singing articles of the scumbag without sitting down for a second to mull over the entire veracity of the article. Foolish boy!
But Pataki why are you taking Nairaland too seriously, is everything alright with you son? grin grin grin
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by Pataki: 3:50pm On Apr 05, 2013
tomakint:
But Pataki why are you taking Nairaland too seriously, is everything alright with you son? grin grin grin

Have you sold your nature and environment e-books today? Keep laughing like a demented goat - foolish boy. cheesy
Re: The Nigeria Rice-ing Dream By Tolu Ogunlesi by tomakint: 3:59pm On Apr 05, 2013
Pataki:

Have you sold your nature and environment e-books today? Keep laughing like a demented goat - foolish boy. cheesy
Now this is funny I had to laugh cheesy cheesy I never knew you are a 'full breed baba suwe' why not stick with comedy and leave politics alone grin but seriously you are still not 'pataki' to me cheesy oh lest I forget, I sold 1500 copies today thanks for asking undecided

(1) (Reply)

Is APC Dead? / Open Letter To The Senate:payment Of Gratuities To Enterprise Bank(springBank / Delta Central Bye-election PDP Thrash APC. Pdp's Aguariavwodo In Early Lead.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.