Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,880 members, 7,806,537 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Nigerians And Their Fake Accents - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians And Their Fake Accents (1272 Views)

Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents / Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans / Nigerians & Foreign Accents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by razznaija(f): 6:04am On Apr 05, 2013
One thing that really pisses me off is when I hear Nigerians that have never even smelled airport air before, speaking funee, whats up with that?
are the people suffering from inferiority complex or something?
I listen to Nigerian radio stations online and the only station that i listen to frequently is Wazobia fm because they are literally the only radio station that i know of that the presenters don't speak in some ghetto a$s accent and some of them cannot decide on what accent they want to use, one minute,they are talking with a British accent, the next minute, they are speaking with an American accent. It really irritates my ears when they do that.
The worst ones are the ones that have H factor because while they are struggling to use the funee, they end up mispronouncing some words eg, Tonto Dike, Toke Makinwa and they obviously have no clue of how stupid they sound.
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by Acidosis(m): 6:55am On Apr 05, 2013
grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by Tolexander: 7:02am On Apr 05, 2013
Just as if you haven't seen anything!

What about those nigerians that travelled to Dubai or any arabian peninsula area coming back to nigeria to speak British or American accent?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by Donkarizma: 7:29am On Apr 05, 2013
Inferiority complex is what is killing us.You are talking about radio presenters,what of girls,You will see most the girls that did not even know how to use tenses trying to speak with American accent.When you listen to most of these girls,tv and radio presenters and other nigerian celebrities,you will decter alot of mistakes in grammatica structure and use of tenses.One thing you must is that most of them use it cover their mistakes.
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by slimyem: 8:01am On Apr 05, 2013
Well,this has been discussed over and over again.People don't understand that what's important in speaking English is getting your diction right undecidedand your accent is just what makes you stand out.
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by israel007: 8:14am On Apr 05, 2013
At least they're trying to speak correctly
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by MrsChima(f): 2:05pm On Apr 05, 2013
I have never heard of Nigerians who were not born in America or stayed in America for a looooooong time speak with an American accent.
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by MrsChima(f): 2:06pm On Apr 05, 2013
If I hear oil pronounced as oyle one more time I am ironing some breasteseseseses!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by Nobody: 2:43pm On Apr 05, 2013
Hmmmmm.... Interesting...
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by Nobody: 2:47pm On Apr 05, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin hahahaha
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by Nobody: 2:48pm On Apr 05, 2013
israel007: At least they're trying to speak correctly
You can speak correctly without forming an accent
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by veechick(f): 2:51pm On Apr 05, 2013
i love the ascent,come on now they trying. smiley
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 05, 2013
Tolexander: Just as if you haven't seen anything!

What about those nigerians that travelled to Dubai or any arabian peninsula area coming back to nigeria to speak British or American accent?
Those are the confused ones grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by razznaija(f): 3:16pm On Apr 05, 2013
veechick: i love the ascent,come on now they trying. smiley

Please which one? the stupid accent that Toke Makinwa uses or the one that some of these Nollywood people use? I even know some people that have never left the state that they live in , yet they still talk in some queer a$s accent that up till today i still wonder where they got it from.
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by Nobody: 1:00am On Apr 06, 2013
razznaija:

Please which one? the stupid accent that Toke Makinwa uses or the one that some of these Nollywood people use? I even know some people that have never left the state that they live in , yet they still talk in some queer a$s accent that up till today i still wonder where they got it from.

Hmmmmm...
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by davidif: 4:15am On Jul 03, 2014
israel007: At least they're trying to speak correctly

Really? you call that speaking correctly? Na wa o.
Re: Nigerians And Their Fake Accents by rocgirl: 10:37am On Jul 06, 2014
Worst of are the on-air personalities!
As in ehn... grin

(1) (Reply)

Why Is West African Culture So Close To South East Asian Culture? / PHOTOS: Emir Of Kano’s Daughter, Siddika’s Kamu Wedding / Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.