Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,230 members, 7,807,765 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:46 PM

Best Ofada Rice And Stew Recipe - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Best Ofada Rice And Stew Recipe (5887 Views)

Share Your Stew Recipe! / How To Cook Ofada Rice And Stew. / Ofada Rice And Stew(ayamase)a Good Meal To Cook This Xmas Period (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Ofada Rice And Stew Recipe by Pretiby(f): 8:19am On Apr 05, 2013
Ofada gets it name from the locally produced rice which is a special delicacy of the Western part of Nigeria.

It is usually served with Ofada Rice. The sauce itself is called Ayamase, the pairing is however so perfect that when people talk about Ofada Rice they are automatically associating it with the Ayamase.

Ingredients;

4 large green bell peppers (finely chopped)
2 large red ball peppers (finely chopped)
10 pieces of unripe habanero peppers (finely chopped)
1 big red onion (finely chopped)
1kg of assorted meat (Goat meat, Shaki, Ponmon, Beef, Stock fish)
2 cups of palm oil (or more)
2 stock cubes (maggi)
1 teasopoon of salt
1 locust been (a.k.a. iru, ogiri, okpei or dawadawa)
1/2 cup of crayfish
3 cups of ofada rice

Procedure:

To prepare the ofada rice;

Wash the rice with cold water, transfer to a cooking pot and parboil for 10 minutes
Drain the water using a sieve and wash again thoroughly preferable in running water

Put the pot back of fire and add water just enough to cook the rice till its done
Add a pinch of salt, then pour in the parboiled rice when the water begins to boil.

To prepare the ofada stew:

Wash and blend all the peppers and onions
Blend the crayfish and locust bean using a dry meal , or you could preferably pound them if you have a mortar

Wash all the assorted meat properly and cook them until they are properly done, add the stock cubes to the meat

In a separate pot, pour in the blended pepper and cook until all the water dries up (this should take about 20 minutes on medium to high heat)
Place a clean dry pan on medium heat, pour in the palm oil and allow to blanch for about 15 minutes (the time may vary depending on your cooker and amount of oil. It will definitely get smokey, so have a fan around or make sure the kitchen is well ventilated, better still you can do this outside in the open)

Allow it to cool down for about 5 minutes, thereafter add in the cooked pepper puree, and fry very well until the water is dried out (stirring always)

Add in the blended crayfish and locust bean together with the cooked meat and give it a good stir
Add salt, stir and leave to simmer for another 2 minutes, and it's ready to be served

Serve with the ofada rice, to get the real effect and delight, line the plate with either uma leaves or banana leaves

for more delightful recipes visit; http://..com/
www.facebook.com/

2 Likes

Re: Best Ofada Rice And Stew Recipe by Nobody: 7:20am On Apr 06, 2013
I tried dis yesterday night and almost set the house ablazegrin all in the name of bleachin palm oil...as in d pot of oil cut firegrin Fear catch me no be small o!

1 Like

Re: Best Ofada Rice And Stew Recipe by Pretiby(f): 7:44am On Apr 08, 2013
LOL, you no try at all. are you a learner?
mechummy: I tried dis yesterday night and almost set the house ablazegrin all in the name of bleachin palm oil...as in d pot of oil cut firegrin Fear catch me no be small o!
Re: Best Ofada Rice And Stew Recipe by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 08, 2013
Pretiby: LOL, you no try at all. are you a learner?
Yesgrin In the area of Ofada stew
Re: Best Ofada Rice And Stew Recipe by Nobody: 9:56pm On Feb 03, 2016
Since am a good cook.. will try this someday.. . Let me taste it from my own cooking experience... . Not those ones selling in Benin city...

How can I get the ofada rice self? @op
Re: Best Ofada Rice And Stew Recipe by Jaydenphoenix: 4:59pm On Feb 04, 2016
I tried dis yesterday night and almost set the house ablazegrin all in the name of bleachin palm oil...as in d pot of oil cut firegrin Fear catch me no be small o!

Happened to me once. Just cover it and d fire dies. Remember fire needs air so once you cover it, no air and therefore no fire
Re: Best Ofada Rice And Stew Recipe by Jibola77: 1:42pm On Jul 06, 2017
Order healthy and nutritious ofada rice online. Same day delivery available in Lagos. visit www.ofadarice.com and find out how easy ordering ofada rice can get. And, yes, you can also order our special chef sauce too!

(1) (Reply)

Happy Fisherman Catches Giant Stingray-trygon Fish In Rivers State (see Pictures / Club Sandwich / The Nigerian Tribe With The Highest Variety Of Soup Is?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.