Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,136 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:38 AM

Here’s A Toast To Nollywood At 20! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Here’s A Toast To Nollywood At 20! (697 Views)

Nollywood At It Again!!! Caption This(photo) / Photo: Nollywood At It Again' COMING TO AMERICA' Nigeria Version / Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here’s A Toast To Nollywood At 20! by cheekylawyer: 3:16pm On Apr 05, 2013
This is me. Believing that you’re either young, old, married, unmarried, engaged, dis-engaged, never been engaged at all or just happy and satisfied with your life as is.

Do you want kids? Yes? I do too.

Help me paint a picture of where you want your child to be at twenty. In an era of private institutions and education in “the abroad”, probably a graduate with absolutely no idea what (s)he wants to do with h(er)is life. Well, most 20 year olds are confused. Seeing as they are just defining for themselves what they want as opposed to what they have been told to want all their lives.

So, twenty. barely legal. Confused. Indecisive. And on, and on, and on. Get the picture? Okay. Good News! *insert applause* Nollywood is 20. *insert “Abajo” “no wonder”*.

Tsk Tsk. Judgmental, are we?

What is Nollywood? Nigerian Hollywood. Nigeria‘s attempt to have a Hollywood. What is Hollywood (Tinseltown)? Hollywood is a metonym of American cinema, a place where dreams are made.

Nollywood is the second largest film industry in the world, behind Bollywood, ahead of Hollywood but, only in terms of quantity, definitely not quality. Nollywood is proof that Nigerians are born hustlers, hardworking and industrious. Nollywood is proof that anything sells. Generating lots of money, with little or no quality content. Mysterious.

I’m not here to point fingers or call the work of someone’s hands crap, but WHAT THE F**K IS A BOLD 5 BABE? WHAT? WHAT? *Composes Self* I’m sorry, I had to shout.

Nollywood is our only means of portraying our nation in our own light, daily news broadcasts are definitely not helping. It is our opportunity to create a Nigeria that people will be willing to be associated with.

Tell me what you think of India? Isn’t it a magical land where everyone bursts into song at the slightest aggravation of emotion? Tell me what you think of America? Isn’t it the land of dreams? “Welcome to Hollywood! What’s your dream? Everybody comes here; this is Hollywood, land of dreams. Some dreams come true, some don’t; but keep on dreamin’ – this is Hollywood. Always time to dream, so keep on dreamin’.” (Yes, I saw Pretty Woman and I loved it!)

This is about creating a legacy that our offspring will be proud to be a part of. Yes, these things (occultism, witchcraft, greed, cultism, prostitution e.t.c) exist in our world. How about we try and portray the good things that exist in our world? Whatever happened to the Amstel Malta Box Office? They had some good stories and unforgettable characters too.

Let us change our view of our nation. Let us be more creative with our portrayal of this nation, Nigeria.

Nollywood is Twenty. There’s still time to change what we stand for. Pause. I’m older than Nollywood and I’m still in the process of changing my orientation of/about/to life. Nollywood, what do you stand for?

A toast to Nollywood at Twenty.

To an industry that will never fold,

To great stories yet untold,

To beautiful and evergreen productions.

Cheers!

Oh, and grow up Nollywood. Youthful exuberance will no longer be tolerated as an excuse.

Via Greenlight [http://greenlight.com.ng/2013/04/05/heres-a-toast-to-nollywood-at-20/]
Re: Here’s A Toast To Nollywood At 20! by VillageBoi(m): 3:52pm On Apr 05, 2013
Well said!
Re: Here’s A Toast To Nollywood At 20! by prof800(m): 4:12pm On Apr 05, 2013
@ OP nice one.
*me pondering* : as much as i like the concept of 'nollywood at 20' the symbolism, the reflections and the challenge brought forward I have not been able to come to terms with the fact that if 'nollywood' means 'the nigerian film industry' then it really is not 20...or is it?
Re: Here’s A Toast To Nollywood At 20! by prof800(m): 4:14pm On Apr 05, 2013
@ OP nice one.
*me pondering* : as much as i like the concept of 'nollywood at 20' the symbolism, the reflections and the challenge brought forward I have not been able to come to terms with the fact that if 'nollywood' means 'the nigerian film industry' then it really is not 20...or is it?
Re: Here’s A Toast To Nollywood At 20! by VillageBoi(m): 4:16pm On Apr 05, 2013
prof800: I have not been able to come to terms with the fact that if 'nollywood' means 'the nigerian film industry' then it really is not 20...or is it?

You're right. But I think 'Nollywood' is the Alaba-market-type plus era.
Re: Here’s A Toast To Nollywood At 20! by prof800(m): 4:27pm On Apr 05, 2013
VillageBoi:

You're right. But I think 'Nollywood' is the Alaba-market-type plus era.
thanks for the clarification. I understand now that Nollywood does not refer to the Nigerian Film Industry as a whole. Too bad.
Re: Here’s A Toast To Nollywood At 20! by VillageBoi(m): 8:00pm On Apr 05, 2013
prof800:
thanks for the clarification. I understand now that Nollywood does not refer to the Nigerian Film Industry as a whole. Too bad.

You're welcome.

(1) (Reply)

ABUJA 2013 3D FILM~ (streer Hood Ent) / Updates On Gulder Ultimate Search 10... The Search For The 10th Symbol / Dhoom 3 To Release By End Of December In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.