Stats: 3,148,386 members, 7,800,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:40 AM

Nigeria Has The World's Highest Percentage Of Women Using Skin Lightening Agent - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigeria Has The World's Highest Percentage Of Women Using Skin Lightening Agent (885 Views)

What Is The Idea Of Women Coming To Lagos Beach To Bath? / How Much Percentage Of Guys And Girls Are Gays And Lesbians In Nigeria? / Why Large Percentage Of Nairaland User Have No Pic On Their Profile (2) (3) (4)

Nigeria Has The World's Highest Percentage Of Women Using Skin Lightening Agent by Watermelon(m): 7:47am On Apr 07, 2013
Lagos, Nigeria - After carefully washing her face, legs and arms, Taiwo Solomon vigorously rubs cream over her body. She is meticulous and makes sure she covers her entire face. Soloman, 32, is bleaching her skin. She believes fairer skin could be her ticket to a better life. So she spends her meager savings on cheap black-market concoctions that promise to lighten her pigment.

This has been a daily routine for the past 15 years. Now several shades lighter she says her new skin makes her feel more beautiful and confident.

“Bleaching just makes me feel special, like am walking around in a spotlight,” she told Al Jazeera. “I am not seeking to be totally white, I just want to look beautiful. I cannot stop using the lightening agents,” she adds.

Solomon is not alone. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), [b]77 percent of women in Nigeria use skin-lightening products, the world’s highest percentage. That compares with 59 percent in Togo, and 27 percent in Senegal. The reasons for this are varied but most people say they use skin-lighteners because they want "white skin".

In many parts of Africa, lighter-skinned women are considered more beautiful and are believed to be more successful and likely to find marriage.

It's not only women though who are obsessed with bleaching their skins. Some men too are involved in the practice.

Conceptions of beauty

Lightening creams are not effectively regulated in Nigeria where even roadside vendors sell tubes and plastic bags of powders and ointments from cardboard boxes stacked along sidewalks in market districts. Many of the tubes are unlabelled as to their actual ingredients.

"An African will prefer to be called John-Philip. If you said your name was Chukwu Emeka Afongkudong they will say you are from the village. You are backward. How can you have such a name? We really look down on our culture and heritage instead of being proud of it. "

- Femi Kuti, Nigerian Musician

In a market in Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital, business is booming for shops selling skin-lightening products. Both local and imported products line the shelves of Rashida Lawal’s cosmetics shop.

"About 90 percent of my clients come asking for skin whitening products," she told Al Jazeera. "I sell it to them and give advice on what product is best for them and how to use them."

She says most of her customers are in a great haste to lighten their skin.

“Taking the color of your skin to different colour has to be gradual. It's not something you decide one day that 'I want to be fair, I want to be like Michael Jackson and you become Michael Jackson all of a sudden'. That is why we have to advise them first before selling it to them” said Lawal.

Rashida and her staff also mix different ointments and creams for customers “depending on the desired level of lightness”.

Famous Nigerian Musician Femi Kuti says the use skin-lightening products have given rise to their own terminology.

“When the bleaching propaganda got so negative, they had to come up with toning. Bleaching sounds too hard, now it’s toning. I don't bleach, they say, I tone!”

“They think bleaching is gege,” he told Al Jazeera, using a Nigerian term for cool.

Femi attributes skin bleaching to a feeling that foreign products and images must, by definition, be good.

“An African will prefer to be called John-Philip. If you said your name was Chukwu Emeka Afongkudong they will say you are from the village. You are backward. How can you have such a name? We really look down on our culture and heritage instead of being proud of it,” he laments.

Dangerous consequences

Skin bleaching comes with hazardous health consequences. The dangers associated with the use of toxic compounds for skin bleaching include blood cancers such as leukemia and cancers of the liver and kidneys as well as severe skin conditions.

Hardcore bleachers use illegal ointments containing toxins like mercury, a metal that blocks production of melanin, which gives the skin its colour, but can also be toxic.

Ayobode Williams, a medical doctor, says the skin bleaching agents have both internal and external effects on those who use them.

“Systemically it causes things like kidney failure because of the mercury in some of the products and it also causes eczema, skin pigmentation among a host of other infections,” he told Al Jazeera.

Dr Williams warned that sustained use of bleaching agents could cause even cancer.

Yet few seem to pay attention to these dangers. For those who bleach, staying black is not beautiful at all

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/04/20134514845907984.html

Hmmmmmmm 77% of Nigerian women use bleaching/toning cream?, how true is this?
Re: Nigeria Has The World's Highest Percentage Of Women Using Skin Lightening Agent by Rapmaestro(m): 8:26am On Apr 07, 2013
See wetin Uche Jumbo cause o
Re: Nigeria Has The World's Highest Percentage Of Women Using Skin Lightening Agent by Freiburger(m): 8:32am On Apr 07, 2013
You dey bleach, o you dey bleach
African mother

Sissi wey dey go
Yellow fever
Stupid thing
Yeye thing
Fucking thing
Ugly thing
Yellow fever
African mother
Sissi wey dey go
Yellow fever

Fela Kuti
Re: Nigeria Has The World's Highest Percentage Of Women Using Skin Lightening Agent by 360command: 10:31am On Apr 07, 2013
Back then in the past , there were group of people when you see them you will know that such skin looks is natural I.e been fair. Which we can see the igbos or south east regions who have got that completion .To the southwest, they make all such of attributes to those light skinned by saying yellow pawpaw, oyibo,see as u yellow etc as if they themselves do not like the idea of having a natural fair skin. Today, everyone seem to go gaga about wanting to light up their skin.
Re: Nigeria Has The World's Highest Percentage Of Women Using Skin Lightening Agent by dasparrow: 1:07pm On Apr 07, 2013
I just don't understand the obsession with light skin. Light/pale skin tends to age quicker due to less pigment in the skin and it is pigment that adds elasticity to the skin thereby hindering it from getting wrinkly quicker. Why do you think there is a saying in America that "black don't crack? I think inferiority complex and self hate has eaten deep into the average Negro. Caucasians seem to have successfully brain washed many black folks into believing that light is beautiful and dark is ugly. Its a real shame.
Re: Nigeria Has The World's Highest Percentage Of Women Using Skin Lightening Agent by honeric01(m): 7:37pm On Apr 07, 2013
Nigerian women with insecurity!
Re: Nigeria Has The World's Highest Percentage Of Women Using Skin Lightening Agent by psky: 9:59pm On Apr 07, 2013
"Toning" is the new word my friends. Although I seriously doubt the statistics: 77 percent of women? I mean I could believe something like 30, even accept 45, but definitely not 77.

What Topic Brought You To Nairaland The Very First Time??? / Do You Play Songs While Taking Your Bath? / Another Horrible Traffic At Ajah.