Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,272 members, 7,807,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? (33363 Views)

Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? / Pidgin English' A Case Study. / Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Afam4eva(m): 11:15am On Apr 07, 2013
I've heard Nigerian people say things that suggest that knowing how to speak good english suggest that one is educated. How's that even possible. You see ladies saying things like "He's a nice guy and speaks very well". He speaks very well means means he speaks good english with a foreign accent and not Igbo or Yoruba. So, Why does speaking Good English translate to one been educated and smart. Can't someone who doesn't speak English be smart?

11 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by omicron(m): 11:57am On Apr 07, 2013
Afam4eva: I've heard Nigerian people say things that suggest that knowing how to speak good english suggest that one is educated. How's that even possible. You see ladies saying things like "He's a nice guy and speaks very well". He speaks very well means means he speaks good english with a foreign accent and not Igbo or Yoruba. So, Why does speaking Good English translate to one been educated and smart. Can't someone who doesn't speak English be smart?
Wisdom..... Bring a case of conflict or crime to a wise village elder and he would analyse and resolve it same way an iconic justice from Harvard would have. That is wisdom! He may not be able to learn English or any other language as much as you could, he may not be able to read or write, but he is wise.

Intelligence...ok, both of us are Igbos and we are to learn English. Having been exposed to the same learning condtions, you could speak English better than me. I think you are more intelligent.

Education...you have gone to school or exposed to some specific learning, leading you to acquire certain knowledge or skills that you wouldnt ordinarily have acquired such as reading and writing or solving mathematic equations. You may not be wise, nor must you be so intelligent, but you have got some education. But in the end, the measure of education is the measure sum total of what someone knows and is.

All of them are related though, but we confuse them a lot. Speaking English is not an absolute sign of education since those that speak it as first language do not necesarry need any 'education' to learn it. On the other hand, since the more intelligent people learn better and faster, to some extent, the person who has learnt better is supppsed to be better educated, or learned.

Smartness is a different thing altogether.

67 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Afam4eva(m): 12:06pm On Apr 07, 2013
omicron:
Intelligence...ok, both of us are Igbos and we are to learn English. Having been exposed to the same learning condtions, you could speak English better than me. I think you are more intelligent.

I beg to disagree. It's not like we go to school to learn english. We go there to learn different subjects. English just happens to be the language of instruction. I've seen people who are very good in Maths and the sciences but are deficient in communicating well in English. Does it mean they're less intelligent than someone who speaks impeccable english but is horrible at maths and other subjects? I believe that if a Yoruba person from Ogbomoso or an Igbo person from Ohafia are taught in the language they understand perfectly(Yoruba and Igbo), they will do better than another Nigerian that was taught in English. It can be difficult learning something with a language that you're minimally conversant with.

30 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by omicron(m): 12:16pm On Apr 07, 2013
Afam4eva:

I beg to disagree. It's not like we go to school to learn english. We go there to learn different subjects. English just happens to be the language of instruction. I've seen people who are very good in Maths and the sciences but are deficient in communicating well in English. Does it mean they're less intelligent than someone who speaks impeccable english but is horrible at maths and other subjects? I believe that if a Yoruba person from Ogbomoso or an Igbo person from Ohafia are taught in the language they understand perfectly(Yoruba and Igbo), they will do better than another Nigerian that was taught in English. It can be difficult learning something with a language that you're minimally conversant with.
No we don't go to school to learn English but we do English as a subject too. And recall I said after the two people have been exposed to the same learning conditions. I used the illustration simply to suggest that 'intelligence' is the ability to learn...the more intelligent, the better and faster the learning.

7 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by omicron(m): 12:16pm On Apr 07, 2013
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Afam4eva(m): 12:20pm On Apr 07, 2013
omicron: No we don't go to school to learn English but we do English as a subject too. And recall I said after the two people have been exposed to the same learning conditions. I used the illustration simply to suggest that 'intelligence' is the ability to learn...the more intelligent, the better and faster the learning.
How do you determine who's more intelligent between someone who's very good in speaking English and another person who's very good in Solving maths. But both of them are just average in the other subjects.

3 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by babsomotde(m): 12:40pm On Apr 07, 2013
Speaking good English does not mean you are wise or smart. You can even fall full time if you know what I mean. Only God can give you this WISDOM. Speaking good English on the other hand can be a sign of education but not a sign of intelligence. I bet that. That's my take.

8 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Afam4eva(m): 12:42pm On Apr 07, 2013
babsomotde: Speaking good English on the other hand can be a sign of education but not a sign of intelligence. I bet that. That's my take.

There are people who never went to school but are fluent in English. Does it mean they're educated?

3 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by emiye(m): 1:29pm On Apr 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
How do you determine who's more intelligent between someone who's very good in speaking English and another person who's very good in Solving maths. But both of them are just average in the other subjects.

If you are good in solving maths, then you are most likely intelligent, i can't say the same for someone who is good in speaking english.

English is simply a language of communication, like all other languages.

Let me ask you this also, "How do you determine who's more intelligent between someone who's very good in speaking Igbo and another person who's very good in Solving maths ? Both of them are just average in the other subjects."

2 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Afam4eva(m): 2:44pm On Apr 07, 2013
emiye:
Let me ask you this also, "How do you determine who's more intelligent between someone who's very good in speaking Igbo and another person who's very good in Solving maths ? Both of them are just average in the other subjects."
Of course the person who can solve maths will be termed more intelligent because just like English, Igbo is a language for communication except we're talking of the Igbo subject. The same thing applies to English.

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by omicron(m): 4:23pm On Apr 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
many things can explain this and most of them are beyond the scope of this thread undecided

Afam4eva:
There are people who never went to school but are fluent in English. Does it mean they're educated?
No. If u read my first post well, you will see I made a difference between those that speak English as a first language and those that speak it as a second language. The former group acquired the ability to speak it as part of a normal development of the child, in the same any child will speak their language of rearing fluently. The latter group are the group we should be concerned with, those that had to 'learn' English through a conscious effort. Members of this group who speak and understand it better are more ingelligent than the others, if all other variables remain constant. Eg, if we were taught that 'was' should be used in the past tense, and I remember and use this knowledge better than you, is this not a function of more intelligence...again, if other variables are the same?

5 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 07, 2013
Education's my Pick!!!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Tolexander: 9:22pm On Apr 07, 2013
Afam4eva: I've heard Nigerian people say things that suggest that knowing how to speak good english suggest that one is educated. How's that even possible. You see ladies saying things like "He's a nice guy and speaks very well". He speaks very well means means he speaks good english with a foreign accent and not Igbo or Yoruba. So, Why does speaking Good English translate to one been educated and smart. Can't someone who doesn't speak English be smart?
actually, a fluent and good spoken english is not an assay for intelligence.
Just like a house with colourful outward appearance, nice exterior design. But when the interior of the house was seen, just an opposite of the exterior.

Though i agree it is a sign of sound education which is a function of the school he went to, the environment he grew up and the kind of parents and family he has.

3 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Apr 07, 2013
Sign of good education? Yes! Intelligence? Don't think so!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by GeneralJ(m): 10:02pm On Apr 07, 2013
Not really see how many chinese people speak english....not very much, but our chinese brothers have a reputation for being some of the smartest humans on earth

6 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Gabrielsylar(m): 10:06pm On Apr 07, 2013
Its a sign of morality....girls with bad english are mostly ashies....
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 07, 2013
Lmao... Good English is overrated as fvck hence why certain folks have embraced verbosity and stupidity just to impress less-intelligent people with their fvckery... Perhaps, that's why most people from my school of thought think intelligence itself is overrated, to be honest...

Mastery of the English language is about how direct and precise you're and, also your ability to be able to communicate and get your message across... Anything else is just utter tosh!!

2 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by TalkingToYaSelf: 10:09pm On Apr 07, 2013
Neither

Intelligence is Measured by so many Expansive Vast Variables.

The Common Drug Fiend, who lurks and aimlessly roams various street corners may possibly possess more overall Varied Intelligence than your linear Harvard Grad

As Far as the Former, Not Even Worth Discussing.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Apr 07, 2013
There is no agreed standard to rating intelligence.

In the words of Albert Einstein "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is s.t.u.p.i.d."

I think it is all about interest and attitude.

17 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by CHIMSKY(m): 10:10pm On Apr 07, 2013
While only good English is not synonymous with intelligence,it does allow you to express whatever gifts are buried inside you better.

It helps you market yourself.That is why 2 chartered accountants will attend an interview and the person who has better spoken English.

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by yuzedo: 10:10pm On Apr 07, 2013
Well am leaving in Banana Island, so tell me how did spaeking good english help one to build mansion? Can Bill Gate spek english? Can Dangote speak englis? Can Andy Uba, Chris Uba or even Mike & Wale Adunega spek englis? No. But were all neibors in Banana Island, IKOYI. Seun dat can spek alllllll d englis for african is still squatting in his landlord hut in Otta with wild animal and nakeddd natives. angry Plis lemme ojare! undecided

19 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by abdulkayus(m): 10:10pm On Apr 07, 2013
For me i think speaking good english wit good accent can be attributed to upbringing and environment. I remember some northerners boys that we shld school at BUK at Faculty of engineering, dis guys are good technically bt bad in spoken english and d school dey went to are good government school.
So to me good spoken english is nt a a sign of good education bt environment.

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Apr 07, 2013
Note; there is nothing like "good english" or "bad english". English is English...you should have said; "good expression in English..." Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by spikesC(m): 10:10pm On Apr 07, 2013
English is just another language. The earlier we understand that, the better our accessment of peoples intelligence becomes.

3 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by omiobo: 10:11pm On Apr 07, 2013
So which one is right? No of the above or all of the above?
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Apr 07, 2013
Being smart is about your problem solving skills... It has nothing to do with the mastery of any language - English inclusive... Some of the smartest people on this planet are not even educated...

For example: I'll listen to 50cent talk about business before any Prof. from Harvard Business School, or LSE, to be honest...

5 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Techwriter: 10:12pm On Apr 07, 2013
Hmm
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by CHIMSKY(m): 10:13pm On Apr 07, 2013
[quote author=CHIMSKY]
While only good English is not synonymous with intelligence,it does allow you to express whatever gifts are buried inside you better.

It helps you market yourself.That is why 2 chartered accountants will attend an interview and the person who has better spoken English is usually selected for the job.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by larayat(f): 10:13pm On Apr 07, 2013
D truth z...ur being able 2 converse well in english dosnt make u a grammarian....u tongue twist n people actualy tinks...wow.his/her english z good...ok...give such person a pen....n beholds u'l find cracks in d wall...

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by alphaconde(m): 10:13pm On Apr 07, 2013
When I see someone who speaks english fluently I see a person who's quick to learn. This is becus from time immemorial english has been a foriegn language. Eg my governor adams oshomole when u hear him speak u think he got a 1st class but recently his basic education was questioned but we all know how intelligent he is. Hence I conclude that one who speaks english well is a good leaner and an intelligent one

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by abdulkayus(m): 10:14pm On Apr 07, 2013
yuzedo: Well am leaving in Banana Island, so tell me how did spaeking good english help one to build mansion? Can Bill Gate spek english? Can Dangote speak englis? Can Andy Uba, Chris Uba or even Mike & Wale Adunega spek englis? No. But were all neibors in Banana Island, IKOYI. Seun dat can spek alllllll d englis for african is still squatting in his landlord hut in Otta with wild animal and nakeddd natives. angry Plis lemme ojare! undecided

Yuzedo, LMAO, u dey waka wit ur head upside down abi? U and who dey Banana Island? It good to dream sha

6 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by 32D: 10:15pm On Apr 07, 2013

[size=14pt]my dear afam, the word is being not been[/size] and to ur kweshun o think knowing how to speak good english is soooooo over-rated

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IMT Student Pays School Fees Only To Find Out Department Doesn't Exist. Photos / University Of Nigeria, Nsukka (unn) Post-utme Cut-off Marks For Primary Admissio / Students Burn Down AAU Departmental Building (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.