Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,695 members, 7,802,044 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:22 AM

................ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / ................ (1660 Views)

Famous Evangelist Rick Warren’s Son Commits Suicide / Pastor Rick Warren’s Youngest Son Matthew, 27, Commits Suicide / Rick Warren's "miracle" Shows The Absurdity Of Religious Belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

................ by gistyinka(m): 4:38pm On Apr 07, 2013
Re: ................ by ooman(m): 5:03pm On Apr 07, 2013
The son's death shows the failure of the father. He wrote a best selling book - purpose driven life - but his own son failed to find purpose and reason to continue to live and have faith in God concerning his illness.

I wonder why God cant heal his own people. God is too weak and unworthy of our worship.

I hope now, Warren, like many other pastors will finally listen to reason and do away with God.

1 Like

Re: ................ by Joagbaje(m): 6:20pm On Apr 07, 2013
ooman: The son's death shows the failure of the father. He wrote a best selling book - purpose driven life - but his own son failed to find purpose and reason to continue to live and have faith in God concerning his illness.

I wonder why God cant heal his own people. God is too weak and unworthy of our worship.

I hope now, Warren, like many other pastors will finally listen to reason and do away with God.

Every man is responsible for himself . A son is not saved by the faith of the father. Every person is accountable for himself

2 Likes

Re: ................ by susay2006: 4:35pm On Apr 09, 2013
ooman: The son's death shows the failure of the father. He wrote a best selling book - purpose driven life - but his own son failed to find purpose and reason to continue to live and have faith in God concerning his illness.

What a comment! May God reveal Himself to you and have mercy upon you! Am sure you know the end of all those who condemn God whether publicly or privately? If you dont, may you not know!

1 Like

Re: ................ by ooman(m): 5:22pm On Apr 09, 2013
susay2006:

What a comment! May God reveal Himself to you and have mercy upon you! Am sure you know the end of all those who condemn God whether publicly or privately? If you dont, may you not know!

I guess you expect me to run to my knees and ask for forgiveness.

The truth is that God is evil and negletful. If it really exist, then it must be sentenced to death by hanging.
Re: ................ by Nobody: 5:52pm On Apr 09, 2013
Joagbaje:

Every man is responsible for himself . A son is not saved by the faith of the father. Every person is accountable for himself
Lol.. But the human race is being held responsible for the sin of Adam and Eve... Good christian thinking..
Re: ................ by plaetton: 9:32pm On Apr 09, 2013

Well said.

This type of tragedy highlights the inherent weakness in religious belief and the inherent emptiness of unreason.

It showcases, as it does everyday, that man is the master of his destiny, for good or for bad, and that the ultimate fate and trajectories of our individual lives are neither determined nor altered through the machinations of imaginary gods in the sky or in the earth.

Reason beckons .
Re: ................ by Nobody: 9:37pm On Apr 09, 2013

So would you like if people said such things about your family if you were the one put in this situation?
Try not to unneccesarily make your children candidates for these types of unfortunate trials just because you feel like running your mouth anyhow.

1 Like

Re: ................ by susay2006: 10:17pm On Apr 09, 2013
ooman:

I guess you expect me to run to my knees and ask for forgiveness.

The truth is that God is evil and negletful. If it really exist, then it must be sentenced to death by hanging.
Am sure u are lost. You need help!
Re: ................ by JeSoul(f): 3:22pm On Apr 10, 2013

Aside that this is insensitive, a family just lost a member, the thing to do is not try and score cheap brownie points. Nevertheless, this quote of yours has serious K-leg.

Atheists such as yourself like to sound in our ears all day long that man is responsible for his own destiny, why in this case have you changed your stance? shouldn't the son have been responsible for his own life? why is this his father's fault? or the fault of his father's religion?

Meanwhile there are millions of Rick Warren followers - both christian & non-christian by the way - who swear that his book changed their lives. But of course, ignore all that and focus on only this. Myopia is already a certified symptom of neo-modern pop-atheists.

Cheerios my dear ooman.
Re: ................ by plaetton: 4:06pm On Apr 10, 2013
JeSoul:

Aside that this is insensitive, a family just lost a member, the thing to do is not try and score cheap brownie points. Nevertheless, this quote of yours has serious K-leg.

Atheists such as yourself like to sound in our ears all day long that man is responsible for his own destiny, why in this case have you changed your stance? shouldn't the son have been responsible for his own life? why is this his father's fault? or the fault of his father's religion?

Meanwhile there are millions of Rick Warren followers - both christian & non-christian by the way - who swear that his book changed their lives. But of course, ignore all that and focus on only this. Myopia is already a certified symptom of neo-modern pop-atheists.

Cheerios my dear ooman.

The bolded is actually the point that most atheists would want to point out.
Rick warren wrote a best seller, a psychological-how-to book. I never read it, but many swear by it. No doubt, the book sold out because of it's evangelically flavoured theme(The placebo component).

For those who swear that the book changed their lives for better,that should also be proof that it is proper understanding that changes our lives for better, not prayer or god.

It is Our understanding of ourselves in relation to the greater society and universal scheme of things that ultimately change our lives, whether religious or atheists.

So Rick warren's best seller, in an ironic way, while claiming the opposite, actually took power away from god and gave it back to the individual, where it rightly belongs.

We atheists would always ask: If god is in charge, why would this and other kinds of tragedies befall us?
Re: ................ by plaetton: 4:19pm On Apr 10, 2013
^^^^^^^
If, for example, the young man had been the son of a satanist, Pagan or Hindu priests, this forum , as well as every evangelical preacher in the world would have been mocking , and selling the tragedy to their flock ,as reward or consequences for consorting with the devil and his minions.
That is fact.
The christian god, however, is somehow, never held for accountability.

1 Like

Re: ................ by ooman(m): 1:00pm On Apr 11, 2013
JeSoul:

Cheerios my dear ooman.

You all seem not to understand me. I am not trying to blame the father here but only showing that everything he wrote down in his book has no real impact in reality. All the Christians who have testified to the wonders the man's book has wrought in their lives can now understand that it is not God who gives us meaning and satisfaction, but every individual must find satisfaction to life. In the case where satisfaction is not found, then suicide results.

I am only trying to say that God and his worshipers are useless to the challenged society. If an atheist like my self has spoken to the son, he would have taken his life in his hands and would have continued living despite his impairment.

God is harmful to us, we must do away with him. God makes us weak, he infects us with weakness. God is a parasite.

That is my point

1 Like

Re: ................ by plaetton: 2:02pm On Apr 11, 2013
ooman:

You all seem not to understand me. I am not trying to blame the father here but only showing that everything he wrote down in his book has no real impact in reality. All the Christians who have testified to the wonders the man's book has wrought in their lives can now understand that it is not God who gives us meaning and satisfaction, but every individual must find satisfaction to life. In the case where satisfaction is not found, then suicide results.

I am only trying to say that God and his worshipers are useless to the challenged society. If an atheist like my self has spoken to the son, he would have taken his life in his hands and would have continued living despite his impairment.

God is harmful to us, we must do away with him. God makes us weak, he infects us with weakness. God is a parasite.

That is my point

And excellent points indeed.
The only little correction I would like to ad is that it is the notion of god, the grandiose notions of god is what really incapacitates our abilities and blurrs our world views.

Just look at the world today, nearly every conflict in almost every continent has something to do with one religious belief or another.
Re: ................ by JeSoul(f): 3:03pm On Apr 11, 2013
plaetton:

The bolded is actually the point that most atheists would want to point out.
Rick warren wrote a best seller, a psychological-how-to book. I never read it, but many swear by it. No doubt, the book sold out because of it's evangelically flavoured theme(The placebo component).

For those who swear that the book changed their lives for better,that should also be proof that it is proper understanding that changes our lives for better, not prayer or god.
This is quite curious. How do you know that prayer or God had nothing to do with those whose lives were changed? Please how do you know this Plaetton?

And how do you know whether or not Rick Warren's son actually practiced anything that was written/taught in the PDL? how do you know this to declare that the philosophy failed him?

So Rick warren's best seller, in an ironic way, while claiming the opposite, actually took power away from god and gave it back to the individual, where it rightly belongs.
I personally haven't read the PDL, so I cannot comment one way or another on where Warren directs his readers to turn to for empowerment. Have you read the book?

We atheists would always ask: If god is in charge, why would this and other kinds of tragedies befall us?
Oh dear. So God should now be in charge of the decisions you make? the black shoes you wore this morning, the toast or garri you ate, the route you used to go to work, the rude or kind word you spoke a stranger....

^the same reason God allowed you to do all this, is the same reason He allows "tragedies to befall us"...it is called freewill. And you practice it everyday. When it is good you guys don't complain, the minute it results in something bad, it suddenly becomes God's fault. Hope you see the irony in that. smiley

1 Like

Re: ................ by JeSoul(f): 3:40pm On Apr 11, 2013
ooman:

I'm trying to find a delicate way of saying this without sounding rude to you sir, but this is absurd, to be honest.

So we should discount millions of testimonies and take your word that those people do not know what they themselves experienced? I put to you the same question to plaetton, how do you know whether or not Rick Warren's son actually practiced anything that was written/taught in the PDL? how do you know this to declare that the philosophy failed him?

You guys sound desperate when you make these kinds of comments. Maybe its my understanding that is flawed, but what I'm reading from you both is a true head-scratcher.

I am only trying to say that God and his worshipers are useless to the challenged society.
http://teenchallengeusa.com/. Check it out. Its a faith-based organization I've worked with in the past that has rescued millions of challenged folk from all ages & walks of life. They have been nationally & internationally recognized by non-religious leaders.

So you must understand my irritation at such an arrogant, ill-informed and fact-devoid comment such as the one you made "God and his worshipers are useless to the challenged society".

If an atheist like my self has spoken to the son, he would have taken his life in his hands and would have continued living despite his impairment.
Wow. I think I understand you perfectly now. You think atheism is a silver bullet for all the troubles of the world. Roger that. Many of you guys count yourselves as better than others simply because you wear an atheist badge. Please re-read what you said here, and perhaps the incredible arrogance of such a comment will humble you.

That is my point
God is everything to me. I will rather die than "do away with" my faith in Him. He makes me strong & infects me with strength & love. Belief in Him makes me a better human being. Belief in Him fills me with love for my neighbor and people all around the world.

If that^ offends the carnal sensibilities of pop-atheists, well, they can go hug a cactus, and spend that time in sober self-reflection as to why someone else' beliefs which makes them better people should bother you.

^^^and all this said with a very big smile smiley
Re: ................ by ooman(m): 4:28pm On Apr 11, 2013
JeSoul: I'm trying to find a delicate way of saying this without sounding rude to you sir, but this is absurd, to be honest.

So we should discount millions of testimonies and take your word that those people do not know what they themselves experienced? I put to you the same question to plaetton, how do you know whether or not Rick Warren's son actually practiced anything that was written/taught in the PDL? how do you know this to declare that the philosophy failed him?

You obviously still havent grasp my point here. I made a clear point that what "those people" think is the work of God is simply them, being motivated to find purpose to their purposeless life. IF A GOD MADE LIFE, WHY THEN IS IT HARD TO FIND PURPOSE TO IT?? All works of intelligence immediately screams their purposes, never life. This proves that life is not the work of intelligence.

@bold: You can never conceive the idea that the son have never read, heard, learned about his father's book. Even me did a course on Purpose Driven Life while i was a christian. The book was a world wide best seller, there is no way the son couldnt have read, heard or learned about the book or its content.

Now, If the son actually read or learned about the book but still refuse to practice anything written in the book, as it is obviously since he is dead by suicide now, the next question is why? Why did he not practice what was written? Did he find them ridiculous? Where they not enough for him? well, i will stop there because apparently, they were not enough for him.
If God indeed exist, then he would not leave people when they need him the most, if God didnt leave the son, he wouldnt commit suicide.

JeSoul: You guys sound desperate when you make these kinds of comments. Maybe its my understanding that is flawed, but what I'm reading from you both is a true head-scratcher.

http://teenchallengeusa.com/. Check it out. Its a faith-based organization I've worked with in the past that has rescued millions of challenged folk from all ages & walks of life. They have been nationally & internationally recognized by non-religious leaders.

So you must understand my irritation at such an arrogant, ill-informed and fact-devoid comment such as the one you made "God and his worshipers are useless to the challenged society".

I checked your link. It is simply another group trying to propagate this delusion of the idea of God to keep even more people in fear of God and hell.

They help teens fight addiction by giving them another addiction - God. They are only killing them, they are not helping them. They replace their addictions by another addiction among other things that they do.Such organizations are wolves in dog's skin. They cant really help people, they only aggravate cases that are already worst.

JeSoul: Wow. I think I understand you perfectly now. You think atheism is a silver bullet for all the troubles of the world. Roger that. Many of you guys count yourselves as better than others simply because you wear an atheist badge. Please re-read what you said here, and perhaps the incredible arrogance of such a comment will humble you.

Pls Pls Jesoul, i NEVER said atheism is the "silver bullet for all the troubles of the world", you conceived that yourself. I only implied that atheism is nothing but the truth. You religious always claim that no matter what you are going through, there is always one internal joy that you have which, as you claim, is the love of God. This i know to be a great delusion since i have been a christian before. The son also discovered it was a great lie because i could think of no other reason he would commit suicide if indeed, there was that deep joy in his psyche.

I would have brought him into reality, would have shown him what nature is, that only the fittest survive, that if he is to survive, then he must look beyond his limitations, forget that there is a God somewhere that could help him, take his life and live it to full potential. He would have found his fitness and would have survived. This is why i blame the idea of God for his death.

Not just him, a nine years old also killed himself for the same reason. He said if heaven is better, why live on earth then, he typed on his facebook page that "life is pathetic" before shooting himself in the head. He killed himself, leaving his parent in a state of great agony. Such is what your God do for people. So i repeat again, God and the religious are useless to the society.

JeSoul: God is everything to me. I will rather die than "do away with" my faith in Him. He makes me strong & infects me with strength & love. Belief in Him makes me a better human being. Belief in Him fills me with love for my neighbor and people all around the world.

If that^ offends the carnal sensibilities of pop-atheists, well, they can go hug a cactus, and spend that time in sober self-reflection as to why someone else' beliefs which makes them better people should bother you.

^^^and all this said with a very big smile smiley

Am not offended.

I understand you perfectly. I also once thought that God was everything to me. I thought that he (or it) was my life and the reason i live. I thought i found reason and purpose in God, until i started studying nature. Study of nature freed me from such delusions.

I understand it is hard to do away with a lifelong held belief. But Jesoul, I aver with certainty that you can be a more better person when you do away with God. You can be more pragmatic and more proactive. You would understand the world around you better and you would feel a great rush of freedom.

After those experience, you would discover that there is nothing impossible for you, you would discover that your horizon is limitless.

All this will not come as a reward simply because you left God, they would come to you because they are natural and you just became natural and just got freed from a state of great delusion.

The world around you is only a delusion of the networks of your brain cells, how much more is the God you cannot see. Think about that.
Re: ................ by ooman(m): 5:40pm On Apr 11, 2013
JeSoul:

I reject the above. I commented out of pure sympathy. You cannot accuse me of being brutal. I wasnt trying to mock, i was trying to show that there is a greater chance that the son would still be alive if God was never involved in man's affairs. I wasnt trying to "score" points, i was trying to comment by "making" points. Dont imply am a brute

JeSoul: Atheists such as yourself like to sound in our ears all day long that man is responsible for his own destiny, why in this case have you changed your stance? shouldn't the son have been responsible for his own life? why is this his father's fault? or the fault of his father's religion?

I never said it was the father's fault. I blamed religion and the false idea of God that the father carried and propagated.

JeSoul: Meanwhile there are millions of Rick Warren followers - both christian & non-christian by the way - who swear that his book changed their lives. But of course, ignore all that and focus on only this. Myopia is already a certified symptom of neo-modern pop-atheists.

Cheerios my dear ooman.

As i have said. Purpose and satisfaction is never in a religion or God. Every individual must find purpose and satisfaction, when not, such decision as suicide results. This aggravated by the idea that it is God that gives purpose, the idea that fails always, ineluctably resulting into such events as suicide.

(1) (Reply)

Debate:what Sin Is A Christain Lady Commiting by Wearing Leggings / Do Atheists Really Exist? / The Mystery Behind Hallelujah.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.