Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,879 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? (12902 Views)

How Romantic Are Ngerian Ldies / How Romantic Are You? / Lesbians Spotted In Super Falcons (how Romantic!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Seun(m): 9:00am On Apr 29, 2005
When the issue first came up in a thread about the MTN Sunshine ad, I decided to tell a little story:
----
A Nigerian man went to spend some time with an American friend named Joe.

When they got home, Joe went straight to his wife, gave her a hug and told her how beautiful she was and how much he had missed her at work. When it was time for supper, he complimented his wife on her cooking, kissed her and told her how much he loved her.

The Nigerian man told Joe that he was surprised that he fussed so much over his wife. Joe said that he'd started this about 6 months ago, it had revived their marriage, and things couldn't be better. The Nigerian thought he'd give it a try.

When the Nigerian man got home, he gave his wife a massive hug, kissed her and told her that he loved her. His wife burst into tears. He was confused and asked why she was crying.

She said, "This is the worst day of my life. First, junior fell off his bike and twisted his ankle. Then, the freezer broke down and all our foodstuff has gone bad. And now, you come home drunk!"
----
So, maybe Nigerian men are not romantic. On the other hand, what about the women? In the same thread, user dayojong shared the following scenario:
Husband: This morning, my gift for you is sunshine. Go ahead and grab it, I am sending it on MTN mms.
Wife: Abeg shut up there. [I]Na sunshine we go chop?[/I] Wayo man.
He concluded, "And that, my friends, is a Naija woman. QED."
----
Are these allegations true? Are Nigerian men more romantic than the women, or vice versa? Or are Nigerians simply unromantic? If so, why? Are there any exceptions to the general rule?

Do you have any views, experiences, stories to share, questions to ask? Please feel free! Perhaps we will reach a popular concensus on this particular issue.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by whizkid(f): 2:30pm On Apr 29, 2005
It is difficult to tell if Nigerians are romantic or not because they do not show it in public. Let's start from the top, have you ever seen Obansanjo and Stella exchange kisses or locked in a warm embrace in public? Perhaps in the privacy of his home , he shows his wife a trick or two about romance wink. I think the reason for Nigerians lack of show of affection for their spouses in public is because it is not our culture. I remember in the olden days' igbo land for example wifes call their husbands [I]"Nna yin"[/I] meaning 'my Lord' or 'my master' .But in contemporary times, "honey", "darling" and "sweetheart" has replaced that.

Another factor why it will look like Nigerians are not romantic is the economic mishap in our country. Who could bother about romance when you are thinking where the next meal will come from or how you have to wake up as early as 5am in order to beat traffic.

To show how romantic you  are sometimes involves spending money,oh it's your anniversary,it's Valentine's day etc you want to get your spouse a flower, a rose flower cost N 10,000. You need to take him/her to a candlelite dinner, considering your pocket, maybe not. All these can make a man/woman happy but it cost money.
I remember this joke that says a Nigerian man would only open the door to his car for his wife only if the door is bad i.e she finds it difficult opening it herself grin.

Finally, some men/women are not just romantic, culture or no culture, money or no money. They just don't have it!

1 Like

Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Nobody: 12:55am On Apr 30, 2005
well true word! Nigerians are very unromantic. but i guess that will change with out generation. hey let me tell y'all about what i consider one of the most romantic moments ever.

it was in a video by the singer "Pink". i can't remeber which song. but in the video her boyfriend and her were quarrelling and throwing things at each other in their living room. than in the process Pink hurt herself. she cut one of her fingers. immediately all the fighting stopped as her boyfriend rushed over to her and started kissing/sucking/licking her wound. now that to me is super romantic. well if u watch the video u'll know what i mean.

1 Like

Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Seun(m): 8:24am On Apr 30, 2005
Yuck! Licking of wounds is something for [I]puppies[/I]! shocked
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by mamba(m): 8:21pm On May 01, 2005
Seun, I agree with you big time.
I don't consider licking of wounds to be romantic.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Nobody: 3:58am On May 03, 2005
hey hey hey, easy!!! it wasn't as if it was a big big big wound. it probably wasn't bleeding much or at all.you guys are talking as if u can't lick ur own wounds. me i can and i ain't ashamed to say it. and it still is to me a very romantic thing to lick ur girl's wound if she's hurt. you and her are one right? so what's the big deal.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Seun(m): 6:48am On May 03, 2005
Trae, I don't lick my wounds either. I prefer to apply Methylated Spirit! tongue

And I think the 'one' analogy only applies to husband and wife. I don't think it is right to consider a girlfriend as 'one' with yourself when in a few months you're going to break up and find other partners. The boyfriend-girlfriend thing is over-rated by so many people!

I think Nigerians can be quite romantic. Some people's hearts have been hardened by 'life' and they refuse to allow themselves to appreciate romance.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Ra(f): 8:13am On May 03, 2005
seun:

I think Nigerians can be quite romantic. Some people's hearts have been hardened by 'life' and they refuse to allow themselves to appreciate romance.

This is by far the most accurate précis of this romance issue. Life and experience have hardened people's hearts so much so that the typical Nigerian man or woman for that matter can barely spell the word 'R O M A N C E'.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by axeprince(m): 6:09pm On May 03, 2005
Well, I guess the expectation from both parties sometimes affects how or what you mean by Romance.

A girl might think that it is only when her guy takes her on a shopping spree, then it is romance. Some guys would think it is only after the rain kinky kind of feeling that is called romance. Perhaps we should first understand what romance means. I bet Seun will be on hand with his dictionary again to shed more light.

I love Romance, and my definition is peculiar. I am not an everyday guy as well, so try to understand that too.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Chigszy(f): 11:32pm On May 05, 2005
Sorry to say guys but nigerians are so un romantic!! i mean they try though but that just pisses you off because they are tryng to hard that it does not seem natural and they just say the weirdlest things thinking it is romantic.

Being romatic does not mean that either parties`has to spend huge amount of money and all that on each other. romance is in the little things that they do for each other.

Like when the lady wakes up and looks like shit the husband compliments her and says that she is gorgeous. being romantic is when you tell each other you love them each other out of the blue and really mean it. romantic is when the husband helps out and does the cooking to give the woman a rest (well for me d guy better know how to cooK because we r both gonna be doing the cooking) romantic is being there for each other and being proud of each other.

Being romantic is protecting each other and standing up for each other when the in laws get in the way and not letting each other be helplessly. romantic is when you are both old and you both compliment each other on how beautiful or handsome they look. romantic is being true to each other!!!! wow i could go on and on.

Hope i find a guy like that they are hard to come by this days embarassed
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Flint(m): 11:14pm On Aug 04, 2005
I think our generation will be much more romantic.it seems that culture demanded that older generations be more conservative in showing their affection.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by gina34(f): 2:04pm On Aug 05, 2005
well i don,t know.but i think i agree with flint
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by hotangel2(f): 4:02am On Aug 06, 2005
Uhmmmm....Flint is a genius. People still have the Old mentality..i am guessing that romance will be better in the next 10 years.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by pkrix(m): 7:02pm On Aug 06, 2005
Romance is reciprocal.

For how can a romantic person and an unromantic person copulate; sorry, I mean "cooperate." (What a Mrs Malaprop?!)

It takes two to be romantic.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by twinkledew(f): 10:07pm On Aug 06, 2005
seun is ur motive always about breakups or what?have u ever gone out with a gurl without having in mind or the intentions that u might break up in 3 or 6 months time.what is the longest relationship u've ever had?

1 Like

Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by gina34(f): 12:27pm On Aug 08, 2005
seun say something ooh.thats a big allegation.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by jese230(m): 7:57pm On Aug 16, 2005
Well its a nice topic, sure nigerian men are romantic ,but this stop when the children have come into their lives .The problem starts from the women they begin to show unequal love to the husband,tends to shift to her child/children and thereby stopping the romantic flavour they had been flaring like nigerian gas at owerri end of ahoada. this tend to make the relationship to slow down,since all what is discussed is school fees,clothing ,outing ,party .all these makes the man to loose form for the actual play kiss cry cry
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by hotangel2(f): 8:09pm On Aug 16, 2005
When men like jese talk, i know what he means. Becos he has five kids.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by vexxy(f): 9:01pm On Aug 16, 2005
I agree with you Jese

It's not just a problem with Nigerian men/women; it's a problem that majority of married people face. When the children come in the picture, the men get edged out by the wife's motherly love towards the children. The man gets ignored almost completely by the wife.

We as women need to remember that God is first, then the husband, followed by the children and not in any other order. It can deteriorate a relationship.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Greatpeter(m): 11:15pm On Aug 16, 2005
Nigerian girls are not romantic compared with kenyan girls, when you go to Tunisia too you will see romantic ladies I mean romantic animals.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by hotangel2(f): 2:15am On Aug 17, 2005
Peter you talking about the girls alone...what about the men?
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by CorporateNija(m): 8:08am On Aug 17, 2005
Trae_z the only reason that guy went to lick pinks blood is because he's a vampire- he was short on blood. grin
For those who are waiting for the day Obj will kiss stella in public... well may ur days be very long because it will take eternity for that to happen. Besides kissing in public is foreign o our culture and we don't need to embrace every foreign culture. Kissing in public doesn't necessarilly translate to romance. Being romantic doesn't require some monumental feat. Just embracing ur girl while she does the dishes is romantic. holding hands and exchanging secret smiles is romantic. Sending a text msg to say "I love you " while ur woman is at work is romantic. small efforts... big returns. Are Nigerians romantic.... some are, some aren't.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Greatpeter(m): 1:50pm On Aug 17, 2005
@hot angel men well i know of mine to be a romantic machine tongue

I know that of ladies because men like me discuss about them. i.e those who heve tasted them and perhaps I had an opportunity of visiting the two places.

But I must tell you they are superb.

South African girls are worst Nigeria bebes are far better.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by hotangel2(f): 8:32pm On Aug 18, 2005
You are really international on girls. wink
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Greatpeter(m): 9:01pm On Aug 18, 2005
hot-angel:

You are really international on girls. wink

Hot angel who are you refering to?

International on girls? Not me sha!
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by hotangel2(f): 3:58am On Aug 19, 2005
Na you sha. smiley I am talking to u.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by gina34(f): 11:13am On Aug 19, 2005
ewo rolleyes
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by layi(m): 8:45pm On Aug 21, 2005
I don't think Nigerian men r romantic fo real.
Cash is scarce. If you kiss a Nigerian man he probably thinks you just want money from him (...see thinkin angry).
The economy is really bitin hard. He's' on d road 2-4,comes home tired. Where's time for romance, candle-lit dinners, etc?

Even young guys that should set examples only misplace sex for romance.

Not all Nigerians are 'cashless' anyway. There's hope.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Latoya(f): 6:31am On Aug 22, 2005
I will rather not say anything in this Topic,cos i will get to a whole lot of people,i will rather read and smiley
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by hotangel2(f): 6:31am On Aug 22, 2005
No latoya, share your views.
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by Latoya(f): 6:36am On Aug 22, 2005
Lizzy pls dont start
Re: How Romantic are Nigerian Men (and Women)? by hotangel2(f): 7:01am On Aug 22, 2005
I love to start stuffs. SO i am gonna start. wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tightest Pu**y ,most Round Ass,and Thinnest Di*ck Contest.in Brazil (photos) / Mr. Nairaland Contest 2015 Interview Sessions (DAY 3) / Sexy Female Albino In Malawi Shares Hot Photos Of Herself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.