Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,879 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

American Planning To Visit Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / American Planning To Visit Nigeria (1165 Views)

10 Most Beautiful Destinations To Visit In Nigeria. Which of them is your best? / Any Interesting Places To Visit In Benin City? / Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Planning To Visit Nigeria by Kanoro: 10:16pm On Apr 07, 2013
So as you may be able to see from the obvious title. I'm an American who plans to visit Nigeria. I plan to go around December and I have a few questions. Well first off, I'm an artist and aspiring game designer. I'm doing a lot of art and storylining based on African art and mythology. I have exploited the internet to the fullest to gather information to aid me with this process but the way the West controls the media limits the knowledge that I can gain about my ancestors. I am really interested in the warrior culture of the the powerful pre-colonial monarchs that once existed in Nigeria and West Africa as a whole. Where would you recommend I go in order to get the best information about this and where can I see some authentic sets of arms and armor from ancient empires of Nigeria. More specifically the Benin Empire? Lastly, what are some customs, courtesies, and social norms that I should know about before I go there. I don't want to end up offending anyone without meaning it. Thank you smiley
Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by eyenCalabar(m): 10:51pm On Apr 07, 2013
Very important is manner of approach, we value this so much. The way you approach an elder here for instance is quite different from what you guys do over there. When you are coming, you must leave aside that "Hi" sh!t you guys do there in the name of greetings. You don't commonize these simple things else you won't be taken important and that may be the beginning of failure to your quest. We value greetings so much here, so take your time to greet my people. And I think you would first touch the Yoruba land, there, you lie down on the ground to greet. I don't really know about Hausa and Igbo if you'll be going there, but if you'll get to Calabar; ours is simple, just bow your head while greeting with two hands. Just take it that we are all bigger than you so humble yourself because we know humility is not really in you guys blood but you'll have to try. Finally, don't come with a gun because you guys like guns so much and don't also think of "Bleep!ng" anybody here 'cos we don't tolerate insult. Wish you success in your quest and safe journey to Nigeria.
Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by vislabraye(m): 11:34pm On Apr 07, 2013
Op, first go to a museum. I'll suggest Onikan museum in Lagos for you. Meet with the curator and ask him whatever question you have in mind.
Most likely, he would refer you to the cities in questions.
Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by Kanoro: 3:05pm On Apr 08, 2013
eyenCalabar: Very important is manner of approach, we value this so much. The way you approach an elder here for instance is quite different from what you guys do over there. When you are coming, you must leave aside that "Hi" sh!t you guys do there in the name of greetings. You don't commonize these simple things else you won't be taken important and that may be the beginning of failure to your quest. We value greetings so much here, so take your time to greet my people. And I think you would first touch the Yoruba land, there, you lie down on the ground to greet. I don't really know about Hausa and Igbo if you'll be going there, but if you'll get to Calabar; ours is simple, just bow your head while greeting with two hands. Just take it that we are all bigger than you so humble yourself because we know humility is not really in you guys blood but you'll have to try. Finally, don't come with a gun because you guys like guns so much and don't also think of "Bleep!ng" anybody here 'cos we don't tolerate insult. Wish you success in your quest and safe journey to Nigeria.

Ummm that was very helpful but also very rude. We don't all carry guns. This proves my point right here how the west controls the media. The black guy you see on TV is not who I am. I also find it a bit rude how you said "humility is really not in you guys blood" Get over yourself man. We are all different and despite the differences, and the things that I dislike, I still have respect for your culture. I don't ask you to respect mine but I at least except you to accept it. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by Kanoro: 3:07pm On Apr 08, 2013
vislabraye: Op, first go to a museum. I'll suggest Onikan museum in Lagos for you. Meet with the curator and ask him whatever question you have in mind.
Most likely, he would refer you to the cities in questions.

Thank you. I had lagos in mind from the beginning but I had no Idea where to start. How about Benin City? Are there any historical sights there worth visiting? Is the Oba's Royal Palace still standing? I have never found any good pictures of it other than really crudely built mud structures that don't match any of the descriptions I've heard of it.
Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by Tgen: 10:18pm On Apr 12, 2013
Hey friend, i'll like to help you know more about my country if you don't mind. I'm a student in one of our universities in the eastern part of nigeria, imo to be precise. Said u'll be coming by december?

1 Like

Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by pleep(m): 1:35am On Apr 13, 2013
Kanoro:

Ummm that was very helpful but also very rude. We don't all carry guns. This proves my point right here how the west controls the media. The black guy you see on TV is not who I am. I also find it a bit rude how you said "humility is really not in you guys blood" Get over yourself man. We are all different and despite the differences, and the things that I dislike, I still have respect for your culture. I don't ask you to respect mine but I at least except you to accept it. Thank you.
Disregard everything that guy said... Nigeria is not the Ancient Shongai empire. Greet people anyway you like.

Even saying "hi" is fine, infact i would encourage you to act as American as possible because that is seen as cool in Nigeria (especially Calabar).

....You dont not have to lay on the ground when greeting people in Yoruba-land, and you do not have to shake peoples hands with two hands. All that is village practices that 90% of Nigerians don't do themselves

That guy was advising you like if you are a child. In Nigeria all u gotta do is hold your head up and act like if you own the place, and people with treat you like you do.

1 Like

Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by ezotik: 2:46am On Apr 13, 2013
if u are genuinely interested in Nigerian cultures, u should try and have a tour guide in each city u intend to visit who will take u around, otherwise u will end up wasting ur time becos the average Nigerian is pretty much clueless about the culture and the places of historical significance to visit.

so if u intend to visit a place like Benin, u should try and get in touch with someone like Osemwengie Ebohon coz i know he used to open his doors to tourists who are interested in the culture. not sure if he is still into it tho, but u can try i guess.

side note: when u are in nigeria, avoid looking like a tourist and avoid sounding yankified as much as possible, coz that will make you an easy target for exploitation. goodluck.
Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by Blyss: 3:11am On Apr 13, 2013
eyenCalabar: Very important is manner of approach, we value this so much. The way you approach an elder here for instance is quite different from what you guys do over there. When you are coming, you must leave aside that "Hi" sh!t you guys do there in the name of greetings. You don't commonize these simple things else you won't be taken important and that may be the beginning of failure to your quest. We value greetings so much here, so take your time to greet my people. And I think you would first touch the Yoruba land, there, you lie down on the ground to greet. I don't really know about Hausa and Igbo if you'll be going there, but if you'll get to Calabar; ours is simple, just bow your head while greeting with two hands. Just take it that we are all bigger than you so humble yourself because we know humility is not really in you guys blood but you'll have to try. Finally, don't come with a gun because you guys like guns so much and don't also think of "Bleep!ng" anybody here 'cos we don't tolerate insult. Wish you success in your quest and safe journey to Nigeria.

TO the OP, don't pay this person who wrote this foolishness any mind.

3 Likes

Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by Kanoro: 6:34pm On Apr 14, 2013
Tgen: Hey friend, i'll like to help you know more about my country if you don't mind. I'm a student in one of our universities in the eastern part of nigeria, imo to be precise. Said u'll be coming by december?
Yes definitely. I'd love to talk to someone who is highly educated in the history. You're exactly the kind of person that I was looking for. December is when I maybe be coming but I am not 100% sure if I will go there yet.
Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by eyenCalabar(m): 10:03pm On Apr 14, 2013
pleep: Disregard everything that guy said... Nigeria is not the Ancient Shongai empire. Greet people anyway you like.

Even saying "hi" is fine, infact i would encourage you to act as American as possible because that is seen as cool in Nigeria (especially Calabar).

....You dont not have to lay on the ground when greeting people in Yoruba-land, and you do not have to shake peoples hands with two hands. All that is village practices that 90% of Nigerians don't do themselves

That guy was advising you like if you are a child. In Nigeria all u gotta do is hold your head up and act like if you own the place, and people with treat you like you do.

Blyss:

TO the OP, don't pay this person who wrote this foolishness any mind.

What is actually wrong in my advice to that guy? Is it not what Yoruba monarchs like or is it me that invented that form of greetings? BTW, what is wrong in lying down or bowing to greet an elder? Mind you, he is the one who needs something, not me so he has to be humble to get it right. It's just a show of humility and that's all. Oh! Because the guy said he's an American that's what is making you guy's head big to insult me. This is how even an Arab man would come and control you in your own land because you don't value anything about yourself. Or it'll be okay if he greets your village head with one hand abi? Yes, I mentioned a gun because there was a certain white woman found in a forest mapping locations using a GPS in Ogoja, Cross River State and when the people tried to ask her what she was doing, the next thing she did was to pull out a gun trying to defend herself. Nobody actually got close to her either. These are people that believes nowhere is safe hence wants to defend themselves by all means. Mr. Kanoro, like they have said, you can disregard everything I have said please. Do as they ask you to do. I've seen one already putting application to take you around, go with him when you come right! But be very careful!!!
Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by pleep(m): 2:44am On Apr 15, 2013
^ I see where you are comming from. But with arabs and whites the situation is different.. the OP is a black man like us.
Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 2:52am On Apr 15, 2013
pleep: ^ I see where you are comming from. But with arabs and whites the situation is different.. the OP is a black man like us.

Have been looking for u
Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by Kanoro: 5:56am On Apr 15, 2013
eyenCalabar:

What is actually wrong in my advice to that guy? Is it not what Yoruba monarchs like or is it me that invented that form of greetings? BTW, what is wrong in lying down or bowing to greet an elder? Mind you, he is the one who needs something, not me so he has to be humble to get it right. It's just a show of humility and that's all. Oh! Because the guy said he's an American that's what is making you guy's head big to insult me. This is how even an Arab man would come and control you in your own land because you don't value anything about yourself. Or it'll be okay if he greets your village head with one hand abi? Yes, I mentioned a gun because there was a certain white woman found in a forest mapping locations using a GPS in Ogoja, Cross River State and when the people tried to ask her what she was doing, the next thing she did was to pull out a gun trying to defend herself. Nobody actually got close to her either. These are people that believes nowhere is safe hence wants to defend themselves by all means. Mr. Kanoro, like they have said, you can disregard everything I have said please. Do as they ask you to do. I've seen one already putting application to take you around, go with him when you come right! But be very careful!!!
You say you are trying to help me but you've insulted me like 3 times in the process. You said that humility is not in my blood and you are also assuming all americans have guns. I don't even own a gun. I'm not white either, I'm black. I have the same "blood" as you do. If I was paranoid like you think I am, I wouldn't even bother going to Nigeria. My entire goal in life is to show the world that we have a history. I want to show that we had a rich culture with powerful kingdoms, beautiful palaces and fierce armored warriors built from the ground up by our people. That is my entire goal behind going to Nigeria, to gain knowledge on these things. I appreciate your help but you were very rude in your manner of approach. The way you judged Americans is like me assuming you're wearing a loin cloth and live in a hut.
Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by Cullinane: 9:21am On Apr 15, 2013
Hey Kanoro!!! I give you gay a$$ warrior fu<k in Nigeria. hahahahahahahahahahahaha grin
Re: American Planning To Visit Nigeria by eyenCalabar(m): 10:48am On Apr 15, 2013
Kanoro:
You say you are trying to help me but you've insulted me like 3 times in the process. You said that humility is not in my blood and you are also assuming all americans have guns. I don't even own a gun. I'm not white either, I'm black. I have the same "blood" as you do. If I was paranoid like you think I am, I wouldn't even bother going to Nigeria. My entire goal in life is to show the world that we have a history. I want to show that we had a rich culture with powerful kingdoms, beautiful palaces and fierce armored warriors built from the ground up by our people. That is my entire goal behind going to Nigeria, to gain knowledge on these things. I appreciate your help but you were very rude in your manner of approach. The way you judged Americans is like me assuming you're wearing a loin cloth and live in a hut.

It's ok bro. I accept that I got some things wrong. Just filter them off and take the ones that make sense to you. Cheer up please. We are still friends. You know one bag egg spoils the rest but I know you are different. See ya in December.

(1) (Reply)

dont worry / Hi Everyone, African American Going Home To MAMA AFRICA! / War Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.