Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,487 members, 7,801,242 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

The Best Way To Describe Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Best Way To Describe Nigeria (1615 Views)

Describe Nigeria In Few Sentences........... / Describe Nigeria's Biggest Problem In One Word! / Describe Nigeria In One Word? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by sithwell: 3:18am On Apr 08, 2013
If this topic has been done before, please let me have a link.

Have you noticed how some women always pose in a specific way when taking pictures? They will pose in a way that shows what they believe is their good side. If they have a dimple on the left cheek, they will always show the left cheek to the camera...always! grin.

If it were up to you, which aspects of Nigeria would you expose as its "good side"?

Is there anything out there that you believe should be highlighted about Nigeria, which is fun, quirky, pleasantly surprising, hidden, inspiring, humbling, touching, heartwarming, enriching, or just funny and charming?

What should we tell the world about Nigeria? :-)
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:16am On Apr 08, 2013
Presently a sick nation. We need help from within.
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by sithwell: 4:57am On Apr 08, 2013
Found this interesting blog:

http://www.419positive.org/419-reasons-to-like-nigeria-401-419/

401. Our togetherness is legendary. With over four hundred tribes, yet we remain united and even merge into one through the beauty called marriage

402. Nigerians, despite our diversity are a united people who always strive to help one another. With 774 local government areas, multi religious and ethnic affiliations, 36 States, population of over 160 million, we still stand undeterred to move forward together.

403. Nigerians don’t give up. We still have a country and still stay together despite our historical and current ethnic clashes.

404. Our greatest strength lies in our diversity.

405. Diversity: In Nigeria it’s not uncommon to see one family with 2 different religions or one State with multiple languages and they all coexist just fine.

406. Nigeria is generally peaceful – despite the civil war, we are still one.

407. The Diversity: Yes, it’s quite cumbersome to maintain but how many other countries can boast of people with such diverse attitudes and values. It prepares us for the world at large as we’re already able to accept that people are different and have their peculiarities.

408. We are one. We are one. We believe in an invincible, indivisible and forever united country. We are Nigeria.

409. Nigerians stick together like peas in a pod. There’s this innate bond in us all that gets drawn out especially when we find ourselves in the Diaspora; and because we’re everywhere, a Nigerian will always feel right at home no matter where he finds himself.

410. Nigeria is one of the most diverse nations in the world (think ethnicity, and languages) and yet somehow, despite all the clashes, we’re still together. Smaller countries have split for less.

411. Our ability to look beyond ethnicity, religion, age, sex, and be kind to fellow men even in our diversity.

412. I love the diversity and acceptability / tolerance amongst different ethnic groups. We stick together in spite of everything.

413. Most Nigerians are peace loving people. Even in the face of several ethno-religious crises in the past, Nigeria still remains undivided.

414. Nigeria in her multiplicity of ethnicity has thrived for 51 years: over 250 ethnic groups and over 400 languages. ONE NIGERIA!

415. Nigeria is a country that has her strength in her diversity, embraces her ethnic groups without ethnicity and her tribes without tribalism.

416. A Nigerian is never alone in the world. This is one of the best reasons to like Nigeria and Nigerians for me. We are all over the place and when we run into each other outside the shores of the country, all those things which divide us as a people are quickly forgotten.

417. Even outside the country, Nigerians remain united. This gives a quiet assurance somewhat that you can get on a plane and go to any country of the world and find a Nigerian there who will not only make you feel welcome but will go out of their way to be of really good help. I have experienced this several times on my travels and each time it amazes me how all I need to be is a Nigerian, not Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa and once I run into another Nigerian, I will immediately feel at home.

418. Nigeria boasts unique cultures, awesome weather, landscape, human resources, natural resources and variety of people, with over 300 different ethnic groups staying together as one.

419. NIGERIA is still a UNIT despite being plagued so much with potentially disruptive ethnic/religious tendencies.

-----

Good list?

Anymore facts and trivia about Nigeria?
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by Emmyk(m): 9:21am On Apr 08, 2013
Lol. The facts stopped at "419"... And most of it is repetitions.
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by Nobody: 1:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
A nation of careless, aggressive, uncompromised and unpatriotic people. Yet, there are things unique about the different cultures which need to be kept alive.
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 08, 2013
A woefully failed experiment of over ambitious British colonial masters!

1 Like

Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by sithwell: 4:26am On Apr 09, 2013
Emmyk: Lol. The facts stopped at "419"... And most of it is repetitions.

Hehehe - everything stops at 419 in Nigeria. tongue

Ok - this is a joke.

Seriously though, I'm putting together a write-up on Nigeria.

I don't want to use the usual "most populous state" type descriptors. Hoping I'll find some lesser-used descriptors; or those things that a Nigerian misses when s/he gets homesick...
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by sithwell: 4:29am On Apr 09, 2013
all4naija: A nation of careless, aggressive, uncompromised...

Think I can use this in my write up, but I understand "careless" to mean "unaffected by what others think of them" and "aggressive" to mean "determined"?
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by agriboom: 9:26am On Apr 09, 2013
grave yard
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by daywatcher: 9:38am On Apr 09, 2013
delayed division

1 Like

Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by oluwadare26(m): 9:44am On Apr 09, 2013
agriboom: grave yard

There is no word to qualify u other than u are "SICK"
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by oluwadare26(m): 9:46am On Apr 09, 2013
I can describe Nigeria as "Nigeria No Dey Last"
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 09, 2013
oluwadare26:

There is no word to qualify u other than u are "SICK"

him fit sick but na lie?

1 Like

Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by ArQueBusieR(m): 10:44am On Apr 09, 2013
AFCON title holders. lol
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by sithwell: 2:08am On Apr 11, 2013
oluwadare26: I can describe Nigeria as "Nigeria No Dey Last"

Sorry, I'm still learning my "Nigerian English". I like that phrase. Does it mean "Nigeria never comes last?". If it means that, I'm gonna steal it. Don't be surprised when you see it pop up somewhere else! grin

It's these kind of cool descriptions I'm looking for...

Hope I didn't misunderstand the phrase - and I hope you didn't actually mean to say Nigeria comes last! Hahaha - that would be a complete disaster of a misunderstanding!

God..no...

"Nigeria no dey last". Pretty cool...
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by sithwell: 2:10am On Apr 11, 2013
ArQueBusieR: AFCON title holders. lol

Hey, wear it cause you earned it!

Buuutttt, the problem with your description is that it expires after a year and a half. Or is Nigeria repeating the feat or what?

Should we say "interim" AFCON title holders to be on the safe side? grin

But yeah, truths have been spoken. Good description!
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by sithwell: 2:42am On Apr 11, 2013
And my research led me to some magical Nigerian quotes. Just look at this one:

“Only those who truly love and who are truly strong can sustain their lives as a dream. You dwell in your own enchantment. Life throws stones at you, but your love and your dream change those stones into the flowers of discovery. Even if you lose, or are defeated by things, your triumph will always be exemplary. And if no one knows it, then there are places that do. People like you enrich the dreams of the worlds, and it is dreams that create history. People like you are unknowing transformers of things, protected by your own fairy-tale, by love.”_Ben Okri

Now there's another description ---> "Ben Okri"

#nuffsed
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by Dede1(m): 2:56am On Apr 11, 2013
Jungle
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by BlackEmperorX: 4:32am On Apr 11, 2013
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by tck2000(m): 8:59pm On Jun 05, 2019
Hope is not far
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by mrvitalis(m): 9:08pm On Jun 05, 2019
Watch NTA
Re: The Best Way To Describe Nigeria by tck2000(m): 12:04pm On Jul 06, 2019
Hm

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram, FG Ceasefire Agreement Puzzling- Oritsejafor / Don't Call Me Commanderrr In Chief Of The Armed Forces-jonathan. / Boko Haram Takes Over Yobe Town, Preaches To The People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.