Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,815 members, 7,798,747 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman (14533 Views)

APC, PDP Set To Clash Over Choice Of Fayose As NGF Deputy Chairman / Fayose Faults Yari’s Emergence As NGF Chairman / Jang Holds Inaugural Meeting As NGF Chairman - Newsexpress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by dadde(m): 8:39am On Apr 08, 2013
Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants Me Out As NGF Chairman

Rivers State Governor, Mr. Chibuike Amaechi, at the weekend explained why the presidency is pushing for his ouster as chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF).

He said at a symposium in Ikogosi, Ekiti State, that the presidency was uncomfortable with his leadership of the forum because of his opposition to deductions from the Excess Crude Account (ECA) and the litigation by the states of the federation against the establishment of the Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF), from which the federal government has taken out $1 billion from ECA as its seed capital.

He added that he incurred the wrath of the presidency because he also advocated that states should be allowed access to those funds rather than for the federal government to manage them on their behalf.

Amaechi, who spoke at a programme tagged “The Nigeria Symposium for Youth and Emerging Leaders,” organised by The Future Project, said his radical stand on some issues should not have been misinterpreted as an attempt to flex muscles with the federal government.

The presidency, in cahoots with the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had made attempts to remove Amaechi to no avail following the support he got from his colleagues in the NGF.

The NGF chairmanship election was postponed until May after a meeting of the governors on February 25 to elect a new chairman was stalled by differences between pro-Amaechi governors and those that backed the presidency against the Rivers State governor.

As part of the plot to unseat Amaechi, the party and the presidency last February, had engineered the formation of the PDP Governors’ Forum (PDP-GF), with Akwa Ibom State Governor, Chief Godswill Akpabio, picked as its chairman, at a meeting held at the State House, which was said to have been presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan.

The emergence of the new forum was seen as an attempt to weaken the pan-governors’ forum.

With the failed attempt to oust Amaechi, the PDP had come up with a new plot to unseat him by sponsoring amendments to the NGF’s constitution so that the party with majority members would have the right to present a consensus candidate as the NGF chairman. The PDP has 23 governors in the 36-member forum.

It was also gathered that ahead of the May date for the planned election of the NGF chairman, PDP, besides pushing for the right to present a consensus candidate as the forum’s chairman, is also proposing an amendment to the constitution of the forum that would limit the tenure of an NGF chairman to a single term of two years, with no option of re-election.

The party, in addition, wants a stipulation in the NGF constitution that an incumbent chairman shall step down before a chairmanship election to pave the way for an election committee to conduct the election to the leadership positions of the forum.

If the proposal is accepted, Amaechi would not be eligible to seek re-election while the PDP-GF, which is searching for a consensus candidate, would present a candidate to replace him.

Amaechi said his goal in championing the cause of the NGF was aimed at ensuring that the right thing was done, so that the already decadent system being run in the country could be reformed.

The governor, also at the symposium, defended the governors’ support for Jonathan towards the deregulation of the downstream sector of the oil industry in January 2012, saying that they had to do so owing to the way some unscrupulous businessmen were frittering away trillions of naira at the expense of Nigerians.

He expressed resentment at how some businessmen had allegedly swindled Nigeria of over N1.4 trillion in oil subsidy funds, describing this as a criminal act that must be checked at all cost.

He said: “When government is being criticised in some areas, it means people are calling for adjustment and reform in that sector, but stealing of government money to me is criminal. And I believe that such stealing cannot be reformed, it has to be stopped.”

Speaking further at the ceremony attended by youth groups, he said criminal acts such as kidnapping, militancy and terrorism would continue to fester in Nigeria, except “government provides legitimate means of livelihood for the youth, so that they will not use illegitimate means to earn a living.”

He warned students against using the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) as a platform to fraternise with government, saying politicising the body, which he said should be a mass movement, could be counterproductive.

While preaching against a bloody revolution and the break-up of the country as being canvassed by some people, he urged youths to take their destiny in their hands by forming a mass movement that would fight for change.

Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, who also spoke on the occasion, advised the youth to always fight for good governance and ensure that they are prepared to pay any price to achieve the socio-economic emancipation of the people.

Fayemi said the youth should not be disenchanted by the misdemeanour of the few charlatans who found their ways into positions of leadership, saying they should “always embrace leaders with clarity of vision and who display confidence and competence in governance.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/amaechi-why-presidency-wants-me-out-as-ngf-chairman/144318/

1 Like

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Nobody: 9:08am On Apr 08, 2013
Because two captains can't be on a ship.
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 08, 2013
hmmmn
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by wesley80(m): 9:20am On Apr 08, 2013
Well, well, well, aint he a dumb fellow? Opposing the SWF and supporting the continued operation of an excess crude account that's characterized by arbitrary and knee jerk deductions in an age of Fiscal responsibility and he's proud to say it in public? It's really pathetic these are the kind of issues Jonathan receives flakes for from the increasingly ignorant public.
Need I say more? Amaechi just stood on a podium and told everyone he's wanted out of his seat because he's a JACKASS! Well who would'nt want a jackass out of a powerful seat?

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by iamswizz(m): 10:47am On Apr 08, 2013
4th
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by RiKKies: 10:50am On Apr 08, 2013
Sir, isn't it about 2015 ambition? or the alliance with APC?
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by 32D: 10:51am On Apr 08, 2013
OK
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by ifemiide: 10:51am On Apr 08, 2013
Ok
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Okijajuju1(m): 10:52am On Apr 08, 2013
OMG!!! Gov. Amaechi is officially a snitchass, biitchass Nigga!! angry

7 Likes

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Delafruita(m): 10:52am On Apr 08, 2013
wesley80: Well, well, well, aint he a dumb fellow? Opposing the SWF and supporting the continued operation of an excess crude account that's characterized by arbitrary and knee jerk deductions in an age of Fiscal responsibility and he's proud to say it in public? It's really pathetic these are the kind of issues Jonathan receives flakes for from the increasingly ignorant public.
Need I say more? Amaechi just stood on a podium and told everyone he's wanted out of his seat because he's a JACKASS! Well who would'nt want a jackass out of a powerful seat?
do you have to condemn,castigate and malign everyony that isnt on team fresh air?
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Clerverly: 10:56am On Apr 08, 2013
Mr. Amaechi, you are not saying all. What about 2015?

1 Like

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by oluwadare26(m): 10:56am On Apr 08, 2013
If you are at the back of Gov. Rotimi Amaechi on the rift between him and Pres. Jona, Click "Like"

27 Likes

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Biggyd2: 10:57am On Apr 08, 2013
So this is part of the reason why he said that Nigerians were too timid for a revolution abi. undecided
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Masanto: 11:01am On Apr 08, 2013
wesley80: Well, well, well, aint he a dumb fellow? Opposing the SWF and supporting the continued operation of an excess crude account that's characterized by arbitrary and knee jerk deductions in an age of Fiscal responsibility and he's proud to say it in public? It's really pathetic these are the kind of issues Jonathan receives flakes for from the increasingly ignorant public.
4k u sir

1 Like

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by BabaEleko(m): 11:02am On Apr 08, 2013
Nigeria need more anti-gej credible public figure like Amaechi to speak out against corruption or else we'd wake up one morning and discover that GEJ a.k.a Shina Rambo alias Anini has sold Nigeria as an entity to the highest bidder. Awon Oloriburuku jatijati. Eeni ku re.

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by ewet: 11:20am On Apr 08, 2013
amaechi to me is far ahead of GEJ and he has made is stance on issues known at all times ,unlike GEJ who always like to stupidly hide behind a finger.He is neva concise,not pragmatic and does not know how to effectively pass his views accross.Gej is too tentative for my liking.
amaechi is far far ahead of him! wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

4 Likes

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by overkillR(f): 11:24am On Apr 08, 2013
And who made Amaechi a credible public figure? Dude is as corrupt as the rest of the lot! I reside in ph, the guy talks too much and does nothing!

Its all about 2015, don't be deceived!

Baba_Eleko: Nigeria need more anti-gej credible public figure like Amaechi to speak out against corruption or else we'd wake up one morning and discover that GEJ a.k.a Shina Rambo alias Anini has sold Nigeria as an entity to the highest bidder. Awon Oloriburuku jatijati. Eeni ku re.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 08, 2013
Amechi is simply Jealous of GEJ, he is too ambitious for my liking.
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Nobody: 11:25am On Apr 08, 2013
whats the difference between the ECA and SWF. please explain in simple and correct english,tnx

1 Like

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Dee60: 11:27am On Apr 08, 2013
Clerverly: Mr. Amaechi, you are not saying all. What about 2015?

He is entitled to contest 2015 and he really does not need to talk that with anybody. In fact, why not Amaechi for 2015? Nigeria needs some radical change and we need leaders with exposure and brilliance like Amaechi.

We do not need another 'go slow' president in 2015.
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Gbenge77(m): 11:28am On Apr 08, 2013
Amaechi is "the phenomenom".QED.
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Mrhod: 11:30am On Apr 08, 2013
Watch out 4 d part 2 of amachi confession, but dis is an incomplete part absent of 2015 ambesion.
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Nobody: 11:31am On Apr 08, 2013
Dee60:

He is entitled to contest 2015 and he really does not need to talk that with anybody. In fact, why not Amaechi for 2015? Nigeria needs some radical change and we need leaders with exposure and brilliance like Amaechi.

We do not need another 'go slow' president in 2015.

To contest, he should pull down the man there now, Abi?.
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Nobody: 11:31am On Apr 08, 2013
overkill®:
And who made Amaechi a credible public figure? Dude is as corrupt as the rest of the lot! I reside in ph, the guy talks too much and does nothing!

Its all about 2015, don't be deceived!

please list 3 areas he has performed below average when compared to other governors. i reside in ph too

1 Like

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by wesley80(m): 11:32am On Apr 08, 2013
Delafruita: do you have to condemn,castigate and malign everyony that isnt on team fresh air?

No Sir, I only condemn, castigate and malign folks that make a public spectacle of being Jackasses.
You my friend didnt tell us where you stand. Do you support the continued SHARING of the excess crude account as against moving the funds over to the SWF?
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 08, 2013
Bob_E: Amechi is simply Jealous of GEJ, he is too ambitious for my liking.

u can remain the leader of ur clan but pls allow another man who dared to think big and dream big to live his dreams

1 Like

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 08, 2013
Amaechi is an id.iot.
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 08, 2013
wesley80:

No Sir, I only condemn, castigate and malign folks that make a public spectacle of being Jackasses.
You my friend didnt tell us where you stand. Do you support the continued SHARING of the excess crude account as against moving the funds over to the SWF?

aguiyi:
whats the difference between the ECA and SWF. please explain in simple and correct english,tnx
wesley80:

Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by ifihearam: 11:45am On Apr 08, 2013
The Governor's forum chaired by amaechi needs to be scrapped or better still he really needs to be removed,he is an ingrate and a fo.ol,he is yet to say all that is happening,if the presidency really wants him out he would have been out long ago and now that he has publicly said it then he should wait till may when we shall remove him finally.
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by Nobody: 11:46am On Apr 08, 2013
Saint amaechi, as if all this is nt about 2015
Re: Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman by wesley80(m): 11:54am On Apr 08, 2013
aguiyi:
As simple as possible: The Excess Crude Account is a joint Federal and State account where amounts in excess of budgeted crude sales are kept to be shared off between the states and the FG. Lets say the budget for the year places a benchmar on crude oil sales at $80 per barrel, if we end up selling at say 90 - $100, the entire amounts in excess of the budgeted $80 goes into this account ( Pls do not mistake this with the Foreign Reserve) to be "squandered" by the respective levels of govt.
A SWF on the other hand is a legally backed National fund comprising broad based securities such as assets, precious metals, bonds and other financial assets, managed on behalf of a nation by a selected group of fund managers the purpose of which is to channel a nation’s budgetary surplus back into the country through investments and to invest excess oil revenues thus generating revenue for future generation as well as act as a buffer for the economy against oil-price fluctuations risk.
Primarily, one is a illegal account subject to shocking levels of shameful horsetrading by the political class to determine when and how it's shared for mostly unclear purposes while the other is a legally backed well managed fund or saving for our future. It is worthy to note that Nigeria was the last major Oil producing nation to establish a SWF!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SARS Will Be Reformed Not Scrapped – Nigeria Police Insists / Matawalle And Yari Sign Peace Accord (Pictures) / Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 73rd Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.