Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,652 members, 7,801,898 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

iPhone Killer Apps Section!! - Phones (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / iPhone Killer Apps Section!! (178791 Views)

11 Killer Android Features You Aren’t Using. / Best Apps And Explict Games For Android Users (ANDROID KILLER APPS) / iPhone Killer Apps 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (103) (Go Down)

Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 7:07pm On Aug 14, 2008
@tezz

i did get 1604 in DFU, and the only way i recovered was to click recovey mode in ziphone, and then normal mode. its not guaranteed to work all the time though. the other method is to hold power and home button until apple logo appears, then quickly release power button. this most times places the phone in recovery mode.

miders can try both recovery and DFU, if it doesnt work then more drastic measures are called for. apple is not helping much regarding 1604, i cant find a reason for it in their knowledge base.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by logica(m): 7:05pm On Aug 15, 2008
from wot i found, error 160(2,3,4) seem 2 usually relate 2 the usb. u disconnect the usb cable and reconnect and everything is fine.the diagnostic usually reports them as pairing problem.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by Miders(m): 9:15am On Aug 16, 2008
Help! I didnt get a 1604 error after i pwned my phone and after i used bootneuter to flash both the bootloader and baseband successfully on 4.6BL, but i couldnt get itunes to recognize my iphone again when i put my phone in manual DFU. I uninstalled itunes7.7 and installed itunes7.5 but no luck even installed itunes7.6. what do i do? How do i use ziphone to go into recovery mode maybe that will help? I tried to reflash bootneuter with BL 3.9 but it wont allow me becos it freezes.
Error i get from itunes is "This iphone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the itunes installer to remove itunes, then install itunes again."
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 10:25pm On Aug 17, 2008
@logica

that sounds logical (pun intended)

@miders

sounds like iboot is not kicking, im gussing your screen is backlit but is dark. press and hold the power button and the home button for a few seconds until the apple logo appears. when you let go you get recovery mode. then use ziphone to go into normal. try reflashing 3.9BL, cos sometimes 4.6 makes windows (vista in my experience) to start the dreaded FOUND NEW HARDWARE and prompts you to scour windows update for the iboot driver. (iboot allows itunes to communicate with your phone when its in DFU/recovery, and is what ziphone actually exploits to upload its ramdisk)
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by Miders(m): 7:17pm On Aug 18, 2008
I restored my iPhone to version 1.1.4 and used iLiberty to jailbreak and unlock but then i stopped seeing the GSM carrier so i used ZiPhone and it was okay after 2 days no phone. So am back to my 1.1.4 version and am not sure about going to 2.0 now.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by recknass(m): 5:02pm On Sep 06, 2008
@ texazzpete- i just updated ma firmware to 2.0.2 and i seriously need ma apps back.went to sheraton to use their wifi and the instaler,apps store and cydia aint responding, what gives
also can i still hook up ma iphone to ma pc suite(it wasnt broken by ziphone)
thanks bro
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by recknass(m): 5:11pm On Sep 06, 2008
@ texazzpete-could u pls send me your number so i holla @ u, recknass@yahoo.co.uk
thanks bro
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by hancock(m): 10:08am On Sep 14, 2008
phew,finaly i got ma self an ipod touch. read through forums all nite and upgraded from 1.14 to 2.0.(wasnt that easy for starters but i did it). i already downloaded the wikipedia zip file 0f 2.2GB in size. i still dont know how i can transfer that to my ipod touch.i dont think igopher works for v2.0. i should be going WIFI hunting later today. if anyone knows any free hotspots in lagos should drop them here cos will be needing that badly grin grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by hancock(m): 3:21pm On Sep 15, 2008
were r my iphone/ipod touch users at? lol. i ve been with this beast for like 2 days now and im already feeling like a hacker. lol. i downloaded some iphone apps from torrent site. and i realy need to transfer them to my ipod together with the wiki dump. but the only way that seem possible is through winscp and ssh. now the catch is u still need to connect ur laptop and ipod/iphone to the same wifi to be able to read ur ipod/iphone ip and input in winscp.getting a stable wifi is my headache right now lol. have u guys succeded in achieving a transfer by this means?
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by texazzpete(m): 11:09am On Sep 16, 2008
@hancock
Create an adhoc wifi connection on your PC and connect your ipod touch through it.
Also you can download iPhone PC suite (the latest version) or iFunbox.

better still, follow this tutorial
http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48459

to learn how to connect via Winscp without any Wifi. That's what i use.

for appstore app downloads, grab them from themonkeysball.com or themobileapps.com. both sites have tutorials to show u how to install them.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by texazzpete(m): 12:34pm On Sep 16, 2008
IF you ever doubted what kind of graphics your iphone could churn out, here are some to thrill ya

Need for Speed Underground

REal football 2009
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by hancock(m): 9:34am On Sep 17, 2008
yo at texazzpete that was the shit. IT WORKED!!!!!!!!! lol. nice one. ive got as many GBA ROMS as possible running on my touch. lol. i tried the cracked appstore apps which are normally in two variants- the folder files with .appa extensions and the ipa files that u can synchronize with itunes.i ve followed all instructions to the latter and for reasons not yet known to me itunes kept reporting error in synchronizing applications. for the folder files, i succeded in geting only one working out of the 4 i tried.your expertise input will be highly needed right now. lol.HOLLA BACK ASAP
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by texazzpete(m): 3:27pm On Sep 17, 2008
@hancock
you need to lemme know the steps you followed so i can see where u went wrong. Here are some things to consider
1. OSX is case sensitive. So 'Documents' and 'documents' are two different folders
2. Did you set the correct permissions? If you're using WinSCP, make sure you check the 'recursive' option below so all the contents of that folder have the same permissions
3. The IPA method is more elegant, it's what i use now. Did you overwrite the Mobileinstallation file witht he patched version?

One more thing. For cracked apps to work, you need to install at least one legit appstore app. Download one of the free ones from the iTunes store and sync to your iphone and then try again. If you don't have an itunes store account (preferrably US), there's a guide in this thread on how to do it.
recknass:

@ texazzpete-could u please send me your number so i holla @ u, recknass@yahoo.co.uk
thanks bro

Will mail it to you.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by hancock(m): 5:12pm On Sep 17, 2008
ok thanx for the response. i must have ommited setting the recursive option. yea the itunes method seem to be the better option. will try and create an itune "freeaccount" when i get home later today to install a legit appstore app. catch ya
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 9:48am On Sep 18, 2008
since cmw is taking his blessed time updating winpwn i got my Mac back, pwned 2.1, restoring right now. pix later.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by hancock(m): 10:24am On Sep 18, 2008
all went well. now my touch is filled up with all sorts of apps, considering its less than a week since i had it grin. . . . @ texazzpete thanks. now the finale should be puting wikipedia into it lol.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 12:54pm On Sep 18, 2008
well, moved up to 2.1 so no more crashing-i hope.

only works with itunes 8, PC Suite for 2.0 doesnt work, messes with Sync Services so my only route is SSL and OpenSSH via Cydia. the phone is actually much faster, so far no dropped calls, signal much improved as well as call clarity. full bars all the time. syncing and installing apps is much much better than when i was on 2.0.2.

battery life too is improved (ive upgraded bootloader to 4.6, which also saves battery).

nice EDGE icon (see pic). dont know what "carrier(null) 2.6" means.

see ya.

Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 3:44pm On Sep 18, 2008
Im back.

tried Yahoo OneConnect, loving it. reminds me much of YahooGo on Symbian. when Apple's push notification finally gets up to speed im guessing we'll see a flood of Im clients.

pix below, you will understand that ive edited some contacts.

Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by recknass(m): 5:36pm On Sep 18, 2008
@texxazpete-i'll be waiting cos right now all ma apps are from cydia et installer and they ain't all dat
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by texazzpete(m): 7:42pm On Sep 18, 2008
Couldn't resist posting about this- here's one app that can't be done on any other phone, and could be used to show off your iPhone's powers

Xplane 9, a handy mobile flight simulator!

Screenshots below

Well, this may appeal mainly to flight sim freaks like me, but it still is fun controlling your plane. And it's just a 7MB download from the usual places.
Future updates promise more planes, airports and even helicopters grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 10:47am On Sep 19, 2008
jesus.

you killing me.

well, off to the monkey's ball.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 5:23pm On Sep 19, 2008
well, used winscp via SSH (USB mode) and replaced mobileinstallation framework with the patched one. after rebooting my phone is stuck at the boot screen.

seems the patch is invalidated by 2.1

back to restore.

bugger.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by texazzpete(m): 5:39pm On Sep 19, 2008
Ex Inferis:

well, used winscp via SSH (USB mode) and replaced mobileinstallation framework with the patched one. after rebooting my phone is stuck at the boot screen.

seems the patch is invalidated by 2.1

back to restore.

bugger.

did u use the Mobileinstallation for 2.1? There's a special one for 2.1, you can grab it off xsellize.com or do a search.

EDIT: here's the link http://www.sendspace.com/file/pcrxy6
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by samir101ng(m): 5:43am On Sep 20, 2008
Does any of you guys have the new iphone 3g and how has its functions been so far ? Ex and texx, i need some solid advice. Am thinking of getting either an 16GB iphone 3g or the new ipod touch 32GB. However, i dont know which one has better apps or support, i need like 10 good points for any one and which do you advice me to get. thanks guys
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by texazzpete(m): 1:23pm On Sep 20, 2008
samir101ng:

Does any of you guys have the new iphone 3g and how has its functions been so far ? Ex and texx, i need some solid advice. Am thinking of getting either an 16GB iphone 3g or the new ipod touch 32GB. However, i don't know which one has better apps or support, i need like 10 good points for any one and which do you advice me to get. thanks guys

Since your iPhone 3g will be nigh useless in Nigeria (until the unlock comes out), it may be worth your while to get the iPod Touch, especially if u have no other phone. Or you can even grab the first gen iphone.

Most iPhone apps work on the iPod touch, except for those few that use GPS or the Microphone input.

10 points?! lol
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by hancock(m): 1:51pm On Sep 20, 2008
iphone=1pod touch - ability to make calls - bluetooth - camera. other than these, their aint no much difference. lol. ive been a fan of nokia N series over the years, got tired of it and i felt i should try my hands on an entirely different OS in apple. . . . . . . its so much fun getting use to iphone/ipod touch community lol grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by hancock(m): 1:53pm On Sep 20, 2008
oh and i read u can use ur ipod touch to make calls over VOIP apps and an external plugged speaker. crazy huh? grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 2:08pm On Sep 20, 2008
texazzpete:

did u use the Mobileinstallation for 2.1? There's a special one for 2.1, you can grab it off xsellize.com or do a search.

EDIT: here's the link http://www.sendspace.com/file/pcrxy6

thanks for the link. i was actually stupid enough to use the one for 2.0.2 fw. meanwhile QuickPWN 2.1 is out, ot unlocks 2.1 fw. check the devteam's blog at

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/50888951/redmond-we-have-a-pwnapple#disqus_thread
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by samir101ng(m): 4:53pm On Sep 20, 2008
texazzpete:

Since your iPhone 3g will be nigh useless in Nigeria (until the unlock comes out), it may be worth your while to get the iPod Touch, especially if u have no other phone. Or you can even grab the first gen iphone.

Most iPhone apps work on the iPod touch, except for those few that use GPS or the Microphone input.

10 points?! lol

Actually, am going to be ordering my iphone 3G from malaysia around january next year. The iphone is sold officially unlocked from apple itself. this is because malaysian law prevents telecom companies from selling products locked to a particular carrier. You just pop in any sim from any network in the world and of you go on 3G. No need for any unlocking/jailbeaking. Am hoping also by january next year, the price has cooled down a bit i.e hype is over.

hancock:

iphone=1pod touch - ability to make calls - bluetooth - camera. other than these, their aint no much difference. lol. ive been a fan of nokia N series over the years, got tired of it and i felt i should try my hands on an entirely different OS in apple. . . . . . . its so much fun getting use to iphone/ipod touch community lol grin

Thanks hancock. A question, does the ipod touch has the same os and processing power of the iphone 3G ? Also, does that mean the ipod touch doesnt have bluetooth. Am more worried about having killer apps and space.

hancock:

oh and i read u can use your ipod touch to make calls over VOIP apps and an external plugged speaker. crazy huh? grin

Yeah, i think i saw the tutorial somewhere in an iphone forum.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by logica(m): 9:08am On Sep 26, 2008
got a 3g up and running yesterday. unlock was as easy as layering the sim with the sim adapter (iphone sim freer). jailbreak was a breeze. runs on firmware 2.0.2 3g. smiley
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by texazzpete(m): 9:26am On Sep 26, 2008
logica:

got a 3g up and running yesterday. unlock was as easy as layering the sim with the sim adapter (iphone sim freer). jailbreak was a breeze. runs on firmware 2.0.2 3g. smiley

calling you asap!
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by logica(m): 9:38am On Sep 26, 2008
by the way, do You still have that blasted localized-for-nigeria PhoneNumberTemplates.plist file we discussed back in the day? i don't think i want to crack my skull rewritting it. maybe i'll check the modified lines on 1 of the threads we discussed on.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (103)

Tecno Phantom Z–Full Specification & Price(Tecno Best so far) / Do U Have An Etisalat Line? Get 100mb Now / Glo Blackberry Plans On Phones And Other Devices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.