Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,153 members, 7,807,515 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl - Satellite TV Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl (32987 Views)

BBC, ALJAZEERA, VOA, CHANNELS, EMMANUEL TV & MORE NOW FREE-TO-AIR / AIT,BBC,NTA,VOA,NHK,RT,France 24, Aljazeera,Nollwood Tv, $ More Now FTA / Aljazeera Sport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by Arelukman: 10:48pm On Jul 06, 2013
The long-awaited allocation of English Premier League (EPL) Middle East television rights is expected to be announced next week - not a moment too soon for football fans anxious to know how they can watch the August kick-off.

Several industry sources point to Al Jazeera Sport, a major network that has been successful in building both its brand and coverage, as a strong contender in bidding for the three-year EPL rights, which could fetch $350 million or more.

A win for the Qatari broadcaster remains far from certain, with some rivals insisting no deal is done. Yet such an acquisition is seen by some commentators as a natural fit given Al Jazeera’s rapid emergence as a top-league player in sports.

Infographic: Collecting trophies: How Al Jazeera is winning the leagues (Design by Farwa Rizwan / Al Arabiya English)

The broadcaster is known to have held talks with media broker MP & Silva, which in January said it had acquired the three-year regional television rights to EPL games. MP & Silva has been engaged in negotiations to resell these rights to one or more broadcasters across 23 countries in the Middle East and North Africa (Mena).

Five months later, football fans are still in the dark as to how they can watch next season’s games featuring teams like Manchester United and Chelsea. But a deal will be announced soon, said Fadi Zouein, the Dubai-based business development director at MP & Silva.

“The discussions are still in place,” Zouein told Al Arabiya. “We’re hoping by next week we can announce something”.

Speculation is rife as to which media player is closest to clinching the rights to the tournament.

Abu Dhabi Media (ADM), the previous rights holder, has also held talks with MP & Silva about extending its broadcast deal. But its bid is believed to be less than half the $360 million ADM paid for the rights to the 2010-2013 seasons.

Rival Al Jazeera Sport, an arm of the Qatar-based broadcaster, is tipped by some as favorite to win the regional rights to the tournament from 2013 to 2016.

One of the top media executives in the region, who did not wish to be named, told Al Arabiya categorically that “Al Jazeera has won it”.

Some regional commentators shared the same view. “I also understand that Al Jazeera has got it,” said Thomas Kuruvilla, managing director at Arthur D. Little Middle East.

Nick Grande, the managing director of Channel Sculptor, a television consultancy in Dubai, said he too believes the Al Jazeera Sport Channel (AJSC) has won the EPL rights, adding that the delay in an announcement could be due to technical issues.

“The first news that AJSC had won the rights came on 8th April from the ‘Doha Stadium’ website. Since then, a number of similar claims have been made – all from Doha,” Grande told Al Arabiya. “My guess is that a handshake deal was done at the end of March, but the negotiation of thorny issues such as EPL’s requirement for paired cards and set top boxes have taken a long time to resolve.”

Other informed sources, however, say the goal is still open for another player to score the prize.

“If Al Jazeera had acquired the rights, they would have announced it,” said one high-profile media executive. “MP & Silva is still out there trying to sell the rights.”

“The discussion is still ongoing,” said another. “If they’d got it, why didn’t they announce it?”

Al Jazeera did not respond to requests for comment, while Zouein refused to comment on whether Al Jazeera is indeed the favorite to win the rights.

One stumbling block to an EPL deal for Al Jazeera is the security of the network’s TV platform, according to some in the industry.

Al Jazeera’s existing pay-TV platform is “not compatible” with the anti-piracy measures required by EPL broadcasts, said one industry source. ADM and rival broadcaster OSN are believed to be the only regional players with the required levels of security on their TV platforms.

Others say that Abu Dhabi’s ownership of the EPL team Manchester City should not be overlooked in ADM’s determination to renew its rights deal.
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by olenyi: 7:49am On Jul 07, 2013
Arelukman: [/quote]

[quote author=olenyi]U have a point though. Aljazeera looks likely to have it as they're trying to expand their coverage/package as a build up to the 2022 world cup.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/media/2013/06/20/Al-Jazeera-Sport-seen-as-strong-player-as-EPL-rights-call-looms.html

Regards.
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by mecussey(m): 10:43am On Jul 12, 2013
I wish Adsports will have it again...their set top box is very standard
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by atuamajustice: 10:58pm On Jul 15, 2013
Aljazeera wins premier league right
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by atuamajustice: 11:04pm On Jul 15, 2013
Aljazeera wins premier league right.At last let's see what the package is gonna be like.I guess we shud be expecting an encrytpted decoder.let's pray its is beamed to well to west africa.and hope its still remains on nilesat7west.
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by umassor(m): 2:35am On Jul 16, 2013
confirmed!
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by permie(m): 8:40am On Jul 16, 2013
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by bounju(m): 8:18am On Jul 18, 2013
So what stations will show the EPL matches?
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by mecussey(m): 7:07pm On Jul 21, 2013
I dont think African beam is announced yet, may be DSTV still has it. Jsc may broadcast it by HD on another frequency in MENA
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by obnelly: 7:26pm On Jul 21, 2013
mecussey: I dont think African beam is announced yet, may be DSTV still has it. Jsc may broadcast it by HD on another frequency in MENA

hmmmm are you sure?You have beinsport hd live here in lagos and also jsc hd channel.sine its off foot print satellite you need nothing less than 3m to enjoy your sports channel.
badr 26,nilesat,ab7 and hotbird.This 3 satellites are there for you to enjoy your jsc sport.
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 22, 2013
obnelly:

hmmmm are you sure?You have beinsport hd live here in lagos and also jsc hd channel.sine its off foot print satellite you need nothing less than 3m to enjoy your sports channel.
badr 26,nilesat,ab7 and hotbird.This 3 satellites are there for you to enjoy your jsc sport.

Wat r d trackin freq nd SR for AB7,tanks
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by mecussey(m): 11:44am On Jul 22, 2013
obnelly:

Please, who is beinsport, and I know jsc sports has HD 1 and 2, do they have more now? Epl needs at least five dedicated channels but jsc +1 to 10 are already dedicated to other leagues and not on mandatory pairing yet. Did you mean dstv dont have the right to show Epl this season?
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by Ibaku(m): 8:14pm On Jul 22, 2013
Aljazeera will be lunching 3 new hd channels more in readiness for the big kickoff soon, so i heard, then multichoice has a 3 yrs extension for our region.
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by olenyi: 9:39pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ibaku: then multichoice has a 3 yrs extension for our region.

sad
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by mecussey(m): 1:11pm On Jul 24, 2013
olenyi:

sad

I thought TopTV was contesting?
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by olenyi: 2:38pm On Jul 24, 2013
mecussey:

I thought TopTV was contesting?

Are we yet sure it was a bidding or that their licence is still on.
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by dolpaz: 6:48pm On Jul 28, 2013
Olenyi, how have u been? Quite a while..
Pls gurus, I need clearification about what dish size to track aljazeera,beinsport,nilesat,badr and ab7.
Also, if I can get a good installer in lagos preferably around ojodu should send me a text msg on 08038048945 and I'l call back...also, can 2m fibre track all dis channels successfully or we need min of 3m
I want to get aljazeera in our house...pls I need help, thanks !
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by Omoakin5(m): 8:04am On Jul 29, 2013
Gud am my pple.pls can we d pple of nigeria watch epl on aljesera dis comming season
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by Farwee(m): 10:27am On Jul 30, 2013
Omoakin5: Gud am my pple.pls can we d pple of nigeria watch epl on aljesera dis comming season
Dstv has d right in 9ja, Aljazeera has d right in mid-east & north africa but with big dish u can receive jsc to watch epl
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by Ibaku(m): 7:49am On Aug 01, 2013
Obnelly, what is the situation with jsc sports on nilesat as jsc +5 to +10 has just been taken off ( maybe temporarily ) hotbird.
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by badaru1(m): 9:56am On Aug 02, 2013
It seems the award of EPL rights to Aljazeera is not going to be good for most Nigerians. I gathered from a reliable source that Jsc sport 1-4 will not show the EPL,they will only show some skeletal matches especially La liga and champion league. Only jsc 5-10 and Jsc HDs will show EPL,La Liga and Champions league. Right now Jsc5-10 has been removed from Hotbird,also Jsc-1.2.9 and 10 on Nilesat have also gone. We are only left with Jsc 1-4 on hotbird and Jis 1-5 on Nilesat. Presently there is Jsc 1-6HD on nilesat but it is not receivable here in Lagos. Though Jsc HD pop up on hotbird yesterday but the signal has been withdrawn for now. So those who have big dish should assist in helping to check may be there will be favourable development. You can read further on this website: http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?t=256215&page=4
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 02, 2013
badaru1: It seems the award of EPL rights to Aljazeera is not going to be good for most Nigerians. I gathered from a reliable source that Jsc sport 1-4 will not show the EPL,they will only show some skeletal matches especially La liga and champion league. Only jsc 5-10 and Jsc HDs will show EPL,La Liga and Champions league. Right now Jsc5-10 has been removed from Hotbird,also Jsc-1.2.9 and 10 on Nilesat have also gone. We are only left with Jsc 1-4 on hotbird and Jis 1-5 on Nilesat. Presently there is Jsc 1-6HD on nilesat but it is not receivable here in Lagos. Though Jsc HD pop up on hotbird yesterday but the signal has been withdrawn for now. So those who have big dish should assist in helping to check may be there will be favourable development. You can read further on this website: http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?t=256215&page=4
OMG this is really bad news for us here as me might be stuck with dstv exploitation. Damn our big dish could as well be useless. My guess is that it has to do with jsc avoiding right issues with european broadcasters especially in the uk, i remember nova sports had the same problems. So we can prepare to say goodbye to hot bird .

Btw what up with the toptv and startimes deal and any hope for us here in Nigeria
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by HAH: 3:30pm On Aug 02, 2013
Here in Abuja,I have clear reception of Aljazeera sport +1 to +10 on nilesat ,hoping that the epl is shown on any of the channels, I recently renewed my AJS annual subscribstion for AED 250 in dubai

I use 2.4 Dish .
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by olenyi: 9:48pm On Aug 02, 2013
^^^^

@nzeval. What's with the hidden post?
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by mecussey(m): 6:01am On Aug 04, 2013
^ ^^ honestly, i dont understand the mod view
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by mecussey(m): 6:01am On Aug 04, 2013
^ ^^ honestly, i dont understand the mod point view.
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by bounju(m): 6:57am On Aug 04, 2013
@HAH, pls can u E-mail ur no. 2 my box. I need u 2 help me out with tracking jsc sport +6-+10. Thanks
Re: Aljazeera Sport Has Won The Rights For Epl by HAH: 8:10am On Aug 04, 2013
bounju: @HAH, pls can u E-mail ur no. 2 my box. I need u 2 help me out with tracking jsc sport +6-+10. Thanks

Reception of jsc is largely dependent on your location and dish size.

The frequency for jsc +6 to 10 is Nilesat
11.958/H/27.500

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PROMO! PROMO!! Get A Professional & Affordable Website: ANY BUSINESS... (#15k) / How To Connect Your DVR/CCTV Camera To Internet. / Strong Decoder Srt4663x And Dstv W4/w7 Upgrade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.