Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? (31414 Views)

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey Fans Thread / Which Is Your Favourite Ebenezer Obey Track / Ebenezer Obey And Sunny Ade: The Story Of Two Rivals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey over sunny anyday

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by daylae(m): 12:41pm On Apr 12, 2013
Even though i find it hard listening to oldies,i just cannot refuse obey's clinical voice and mastery of musical artistry. His music has a way of getting to you that you wonder amidst your own thought,with such carefully selected words that inspires the soul. Always having a message to deliver. His music depicts a world better than the one we're living now, and left for you to imagine.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Tolexander: 12:41pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ebenezar Obey commands the studio aspect of juju base on his lyrics, voice and instruments while Sunny Ade commands the live performance of juju cos he can manipulate his dance steps to the musical sound to fascinate the audience.

Sunny ade is more international than ebenezar obey, cos i can remember when President Bill Clinton made a state visit to nigeria, he mentioned Wole Soyinka, Sunny Ade as the nigerians he heard their names before.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by agog: 12:42pm On Apr 12, 2013
All my family are great lover of Obey's music. And i can say no one is Obey's fan than my late dad.
Most of Obey's music are evergreen for life!

T]
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by mike404(m): 12:42pm On Apr 12, 2013
KSA
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by obagangan: 12:43pm On Apr 12, 2013
growing up, we only listen to 3 musician, king Sunny Ade, Chief Commandert Ebenzer Obey, and Orlando Owo. to me all of them are great musician, but I listen to them based on my mode, Obey os the greatest composer, organiser, and always as nice arrangement. King took nigeria allover nd promote our kind os still and culture. Orlando 4 faji lawa. I love them all and I still listen to them till date. thanks 4 bringing this discuss up. cheers
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Thorpe85(f): 12:44pm On Apr 12, 2013
ebenezer Obey....... His lyrics are out of dis word.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by wonlasewonimi: 12:44pm On Apr 12, 2013
KSA is light years ahead of Obey. Ewo oshodi oke to n mijiji elero amiji meji to nmi jolojolo
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by mikeapollo: 12:45pm On Apr 12, 2013
Bandy10: Though both of them play good music when compare to what obtains today.However Sunny is better.The following points will be used to back up my points.
1 Sunny Ade is the first Nigerian to be nominated for a Grammy-he has been nominated twice
2 He was applauded by president Clinton when he first came to Nigeria
3 He has played in big concerts outside the shore of this country
4 He has played for important dignitaries like the queen of England,Ghadafi and host of others
5 His music is still relevant today.
6 He is the artist of choice during celebrations

You can be nominated for any award if your promoter is able to schedule/time your musical tours to coincide with big festivals/shows. Again Sunny us a better entertainer because of his stage showmanship and that can easily lure foreign fans. Any musician with stage craft will always wow the white man

Obey made several foreign trips in the 70s and started planning his retirement in the 80s, so he was started tuning down his foreign trips. That was the time Sunny was at his peak in making foreign travels.

As per celebrations....Obey was far ahead when he was in active music. He was the artist of choice for the biggest social clubs....Island club, Tennis club, Laggos Country club, Ikeja Club etc.
His songs were more philosophical and relevant to life issues/events e.g birthdays, marriage, funerals, house-warming etc than Sunny's songs.

Please, try and get some of Obey's past life plays/shows of the 80s/90s on CD....they are still fresh and relevant till today

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by causewahala: 12:46pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey!. . . . . daz all!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Apr 12, 2013
1ndidi2: I'm not yoruba but whenever I hear ebenezer Obey's song I picture sometime in the old days,with a cool weather,children playing, fathers playing board games and mothers gisting!!

I prefer obey.

This almost got tears from my eyes.

I remember my early years too. Old man's favourite, after Haruna Ishola and Yusuf Olatunji Babal'egba, was Obey.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by mikeapollo: 12:50pm On Apr 12, 2013
funnyx:
kiss kiss
Lyrics wise Obey is better, sometimes I wonder where he got the inspiration from, many musicians today get their lyrics from past Obey songs but the youngsters of today don't know this as many don't listen to old schools songs.

God bless you for your thoughtful comments

People should do some research on Obey's songs, especially in the 70-80s....that man is a genius per excellence!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 12, 2013
Cash Madam

Oroki Social Club

Yinka Rhodes

All these names I grew up knowing from these guys' songs.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by ndioyem: 12:52pm On Apr 12, 2013
mikeapollo:

Why the abuse? Why the insults?

Well, I am well bred with good home-training, so I dont trade abuses and insults online.
You are free to exhibit the kind of training and upbringing you are made of.

What I wrote about Obey and Sunny are the facts. Obey was the first person to introduce multiple guitars, western drum kits among other numerous innovations, but he does not brag, unlike Sunny. Obey was the one that modernised Juju music before Sunny joined the train!

Who is Alaafin of Oyo in music? What does Alaafin know about music? What authority does Alaafin have in music?
So what happens if Ooni of Ife or any other Oba should just wake up and say some other musician is the king of Juju or Fuji or whatever? Obey avoided calls for him to be crowned as King by other Obas in Yoruba land like the Alake and Ooni.
Dont be deceived by some people who give some spurious awards to their favourite musician.May be you dont know that most of the so-called awards are solicited and arranged by the musicians themselves in order to boost their profile and marketability!Do you know how many 'Kings' we have in Fuji music now?
Well, I dont blame you if you do not know....you have already displayed your level of maturity in your first sentence

Obey is better than Sunny in all aspects of Juju music, except stagemanship and dancing.
What Obey lacks in stage craft, he covers with un-paralled ability in great lyrics, compositions, arrangement,instrumentation, percussions, delivery etc. His songs are timeless.

Obey's kind of musician is very rare...If you do not know, go and ask your elders!

You are so analytical. I like this. I also like your display of maturity.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Lilimax(f): 12:53pm On Apr 12, 2013
Hadeyeancah: What of Osupa vs Paso
To me there music is mostly for Danfo bus drivers if you understand what I mean.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by mkoabiola: 12:53pm On Apr 12, 2013
mikeapollo:

Well, I am well bred with good home-training, so I dont trade abuses and insults online.

What I wrote about Obey and Sunny are the facts. Obey was the first person to introduce multiple guitars, western drum kits among other numerous innovations, but he does not brag, unlike Sunny. Obey was the one that modernised Juju music before Sunny joined the train!

Who is Alaafin of Oyo in music? What does Alaafin know about music? What authority does Alaafin have in music?
So what happens if Ooni of Ife or any other Oba should just wake up and say some other musician is the king of Juju or Fuji or whatever? Obey avoided calls for him to be crowned as King by other Obas in Yoruba land like the Alake and Ooni.
Dont be deceived by some people who give some spurious awards to their favourite musician.May be you dont know that most of the so-called awards are solicited and arranged by the musicians themselves in order to boost their profile and marketability!Do you know how many 'Kings' we have in Fuji music now?
Well, I dont blame you if you do not know....you have already displayed your level of maturity in your first sentence

Obey is better than Sunny in all aspects of Juju music, except stagemanship and dancing.
What Obey lacks in stage craft, he covers with un-paralled ability in great lyrics, compositions, arrangement,instrumentation, percussions, delivery etc. His songs are timeless.

Obey's kind of musician is very rare...If you do not know, go and ask your elders!
I crave ur intelligence nad maturity,u ar 2 much.thumps up.
100 yrs to come,obey song will b a national anthem.
But I prefer Sunny any day any time cos of d stage performance.
U MUST dance to d music ,exept if u don't av legs to dance,even @dat u mus shake ur body wenever he is on stage.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by funnyx(m): 12:54pm On Apr 12, 2013
mikeapollo:

You can be nominated for any award if your promoter is able to schedule/time your musical tours to coincide with big festivals/shows. Again Sunny us a better entertainer because of his stage showmanship and that can easily lure foreign fans. Any musician with stage craft will always wow the white man

Obey made several foreign trips in the 70s and started planning his retirement in the 80s, so he was started tuning down his foreign trips. That was the time Sunny was at his peak in making foreign travels.

As per celebrations....Obey was far ahead when he was in active music. He was the artist of choice for the biggest social clubs....Island club, Tennis club, Laggos Country club, Ikeja Club etc.
His songs were more philosophical and relevant to life issues/events e.g birthdays, marriage, funerals, house-warming etc than Sunny's songs.

Please, try and get some of Obey's past life plays/shows of the 80s/90s on CD....they are still fresh and relevant till today

Thank you!
I have a lot of respect for KSA especially his energy and stage performance abilities. Also KSA established himself as a brand that appeals to the youth as well as foreigners and for that reasons many tend to rate him higher than Obey. However, for those who really understand what music is in terms of its lyrics and the message it conveys they'll give it to Obey anytime and anyday.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Lilimax(f): 12:55pm On Apr 12, 2013
mikeapollo:

Well said! I like your constructive arguement....

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Prince0500(m): 12:57pm On Apr 12, 2013
mikeapollo:

May be u need to check ur facts vry well nd unfortunately u jst comitted a worse offence dat u are acusing sme for,yea ur hme trainin is questionable.U said Sunny brags nd also dat who is alafin of oyo?No well home grown nd well culturd dude wld use dis words on dis personalities.People like u shld nt be taken serious,u are exactly d opposite of hw u present urself.May be i shld also remind u dat KSA 4 TWO TYMES NW HAD BEEN NOMINATED 4 an internationaly well recognisd award gving body,i think grammy or so,dis is a feet dat is nt common to achieve in d music terain in d whole Africa.After say all dis,i also respectfuly submit dat Obey commander is alsm a great musician bt in his own well deserv class.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by shadrach77: 12:58pm On Apr 12, 2013
i find it hard to believe that people would even dare to compare Obey with Sunny - even Obey himself knows that Sunny is better. To be nominated for Grammies twice, na beans? Sunny once starred in a foreign film - Stiggs and Friends or something, can't remember - KSA is known internationally and even performed as recently as last year at the Pre Olympics Music Festival in London. Ask any white man about Sunny and they'll know about him. Obey is not known beyond the shores of Nigeia wink wink wink smiley smiley
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by dad007(m): 1:00pm On Apr 12, 2013
shadrach77:

You are extremely silly! Anybody who knows music will realise that sunny Ade is way better than Obey. Do you think the Alaafin of Oyo made him King if Juju for nothing ?? Sunny was the first artiste to introduce synthesiser , Hawaiian guitar and several other things to juju music angry sad angry angry
must you be insultive,just make your point that all.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by wonlasewonimi: 1:00pm On Apr 12, 2013
shadrach77: i find it hard to believe that people would even dare to compare Obey with Sunny - even Obey himself knows that Sunny is better. To be nominated for Grammies twice, na beans? Sunny once starred in a foreign film - Stiggs and Friends or something, can't remember - KSA is known internationally and even performed as recently as last year at the Pre Olympics Music Festival in London. Ask any white man about Sunny and they'll know about him. Obey is not known beyond the shores of Nigeia wink wink wink smiley smiley

Obey turned to Pastor when he started singing rubbish like Ewa gbo melody
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by DollyParton1(f): 1:01pm On Apr 12, 2013
I love obey cos he is from Abeokuta... and he found Jesus and stuck to him...
His music are ever green
I love Gbotemi
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by funnyx(m): 1:02pm On Apr 12, 2013
shadrach77: i find it hard to believe that people would even dare to compare Obey with Sunny - even Obey himself knows that Sunny is better. To be nominated for Grammies twice, na beans? Sunny once starred in a foreign film - Stiggs and Friends or something, can't remember - KSA is known internationally and even performed as recently as last year at the Pre Olympics Music Festival in London. Ask any white man about Sunny and they'll know about him. Obey is not known beyond the shores of Nigeia wink wink wink smiley smiley

Don't compare being a successful brand to music, they are not the same.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Lucasbalo(m): 1:04pm On Apr 12, 2013
Both are very good, but sunny is the best juju crooner.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by dad007(m): 1:05pm On Apr 12, 2013
funnyx:

Thumb up for you!
I'm a die hard Obey fan I listen to his music EVERYDAY and sometimes I cannot but wonder how he got the inspiration to compose many of his wonderful songs. I'm going to start Ober fan thread on NL where all lovers of this legend can come together to share and enjoy his songs together.
My day is not complete without listening to Obey, right now even at work I'm miming evergreen song 16 track 1: yungba yungba
I am with you my bro
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Apr 12, 2013
If dem like make dem sing 4rm naw till next hundred years, i no understand dem language.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Popolanpo: 1:07pm On Apr 12, 2013
mikeapollo:

I love both but I kinda love Obey's music more cos he has tracks practically for all occasions.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by aku626(m): 1:09pm On Apr 12, 2013
who are these ppl r they related to rickross? grin
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by dad007(m): 1:09pm On Apr 12, 2013
Dolly-Parton:

I am Yoruba and the exact thoughts comes into my head too, just that I picture my parents and their siblings as the children. grin grin grin grin grin
That is you.But as for me,we were the children.I love Obey songs.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 12, 2013
OBEY ANYDAY!!!

Listening to Obey's music remids me of my dad(rip). he often used the lyircs and paradigms in obey's music to advise and mould us while we were younger. He was a die hard Obey fan. Unfortunately, he died weeks before I sent an Ebenezer Obey collection(60 albums) that i promised him for his birthday.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Tunby(m): 1:11pm On Apr 12, 2013
IF I DO NOT KNOW ANY OTHER THING.AS AN UP COMING PROFFESSION GUITARIST, I CAN SAY FOR SURE THAT SUNNY ADE HAS A GREATER DEXTERITY ON THE GUITAR THAN OBEY.OVER and OUT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

America-based Singer Lisa Yaro Brings Energetic Performance To Stage / Osayimwen Osahon George: Don't Watch Blue Films Just Watch Nigerian Music Videos / Star Quest: Nigerian Musical Talent Hunt Show

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62