Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Easter Menu Dessert: Zesty Sesame Shortbread Cookies - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Easter Menu Dessert: Zesty Sesame Shortbread Cookies (675 Views)

Foreign Dishes, Fruits And Dessert... ( Nutrients $ Benefits ) / Nairalander Chef Shares Unique Pictures Of His Fish BBQ Menu. / ~ Favourite Biscuits/Cookies ?~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Easter Menu Dessert: Zesty Sesame Shortbread Cookies by Abujafood: 2:15pm On Apr 09, 2013
If you were in a Nigerian primary/secondary school during the 90’s, then you probably came across these shortbread cookies...ring any bells yet?

I ‘m still in love with these cookies, and can devour an entire packet in one day. Well, you can’t imagine how ecstatic I was when I realized that I could make my own shortbread cookies in the comfort of my home. Though, they may not look as professional as the “Walker” shortbread, they definitely taste as good and I have adapted the typical shortbread by adding some sesame seeds and “orange zest” which was used in a “shortbread wedges” recipe in one of my cookbooks. I made these shortbread cookies this Easter and I’m glad they turned out well.

Believe me when I say that this is one very easy dessert to make. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare and requires little physical labour on your part. The orange zest gives the cookies a nice tangy taste that compliments the crunchy sesame seeds.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup flour

1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)

1/2 cup icing sugar

2 teaspoons grated orange/lemon zest (optional)

2 teaspoons sesame seeds/poppy seeds (optional)

*If you use unsalted butter, then you can add 1/2 a teaspoon of salt*

PREPARATION

To get your orange zest, I would suggest using an orange that is has an orange or orange-yellow skin colour. After washing the fruit, use a grater to remove the coloured outer skin, but not the bitter inner white pith.

In a cake mixer or food processor, combine the butter, flour, and icing sugar and mix until the batter forms moist clumps (you can also use your hands, which I did)

Then add your grated orange zest and seeds and process/mix just for a few seconds

Then using a rolling stick,roll out the dough evenly, after which you can use a cookie cutter of your choice to form cookie pieces

Preheat your oven to 300-350C depending on how hot your oven can get, and then line your baking tray with parchment paper or smear some butter on the tray to prevent cookies from sticking to tray

Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the cookies are set

Serve with cold yogurt or iced tea . I served mine with vanilla yogurt...it was sweetly satisfying.

http://www.abujafood.com/food-matters/the-recipe-book/1185--easter-menu-dessert-zesty-sesame-shortbread-cookies.html

(1) (Reply)

Worst Time Of The Day That You Have Ever Eaten Dinner / 11 Things You Should Remember When Buying And Cooking With Tomatoes / Did God Really Intend Us To Be Bags Of Feces?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.