Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,312 members, 7,780,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:19 PM

Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen (3359 Views)

Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery / Became A British Citizen Today / How Do I Get A Certified Copy Of Hotel Reservation For U.s.a Tourist Visa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by ernal(m): 12:32pm On Apr 05, 2008
Hello landers,I want some clear cut advise on this issue;

I have a friend who happens to be born in the UK and due to some family issues,the Mum n Dad got separated and She has to move to Nigeria with the Mum (when she was 7),all she has is a certified Copy entry of Pursuant of Birth i.e (birth certicate).My Questions goes thus: Is it possible to claim a British Born with this certifcate,If Yes,How and What are the processes involved.I will be glad to get some sincere and genuie answers.
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by funkybaby(f): 1:51pm On Apr 05, 2008
Before i can say anything, what year was the individual born?
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by funkybaby(f): 1:51pm On Apr 05, 2008
Before i can say anything, what year was the individual born?
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by ernal(m): 11:39pm On Apr 05, 2008
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by VOR(m): 12:11am On Apr 06, 2008
1986?

Then she will not qualify for UK CITIZENSHIP by virtue of birth I'm afraid.
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by ernal(m): 1:53pm On Apr 06, 2008
okay what age do one qualify for citizenship,Thanks.
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by liliana(f): 3:22pm On Apr 06, 2008
@ernal
1982 and backwards, !!!!!
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by EloSela(f): 3:29pm On Apr 06, 2008
The law currently states that every person born to a British citizen in Great Britain after 1982 is a British Citizen.

Before 1982, everybody born on British soil was British.

If the parent's were not British at the time of birth, after 1982, then she is not British.

Is the lady's Dad still in the UK? She may need to find out what his status is and if he is British, when he attained it.
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by ernal(m): 8:35pm On Apr 07, 2008
Thanks all,Her Dad is still in the Uk but he wasnt a british citizen when she was born,He was a student.Thanks all again for your response.
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by Akolawole(m): 12:08am On Apr 08, 2008
VOR and other guys are right.

Do i have to add anything?

I dont want to encourage illegalty jare lipsrsealed
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by toks87: 5:33pm On Nov 03, 2009
i also have the same issue. i came back to Nigeria since i was 4 n i've bn living with my gran-ma since then, but i'v gone on holiday once when i was 12 n since then i'v bn denied entry into the UK. Didn't even know i had a certified copy of entry till recently when i needed to submit my BC to my school.
now my question is, what i'm i suppose to do now, cos i know somehow i should be a citizen by birth. i don't have a Nigerian BC, my gran-ma is late now, my parent are not together, so i'm totally on my own with this.
pls some1 tell me what to do cry
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 03, 2009
toks87:

i also have the same issue. i came back to Nigeria since i was 4 n i've bn living with my gran-ma since then, but i'v gone on holiday once when i was 12 n since then i'v bn denied entry into the UK. Didn't even know i had a certified copy of entry till recently when i needed to submit my BC to my school.
now my question is, what i'm i suppose to do now, cos i know somehow i should be a citizen by birth. i don't have a Nigerian BC, my gran-ma is late now, my parent are not together, so i'm totally on my own with this.
pls some1 tell me what to do cry

Gosh, that's so sad!

Don't give up hope, and check back here periodically - someone will be bound to know the right answers.

Probably best to start a fresh thread, with a title that best describes your situation.
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by johnkent(m): 5:44am On Nov 04, 2009
ur not a british citizen unless one of ur parent was atleast a permanent resident (watever its called in the UK) at the time of your birth or you have continously resided in the UK permanently for atleast 10 yrs after birth.
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by Snowwy: 8:54am On Mar 08, 2010
@toks87
Hi,
Just saw this post.
If you were born before January 1, 1983 in the UK, you are automatically a british citizen.
However, if you were born after (in the UK) and one of your parents is a british citizen then same applies.
You can go to the British High Commission in Lagos for enquiries but the load of paper-work you will need will be quite a lot.
I applied in 2006 (i was born before the 1983 deadline) and got my passport over a year after. Still shocked it came that easy though as I still didn't have everything complete. It was favour!
You will be required to present your original birth certificates, all your school documents, all pictures as long as you remember, your parents marriage certificates, passports they used to travel then, you and your mums medical records in the hospital of birth (i had to get that by post from UK), your dad's work documents in the UK or certificate if he was a student, their ID cards and a host more. I just pray your parents keep records.
I was on my own too but i had to do lots of pestering of my only surviving parent as after a while I was told not to bother due to the documentation.
Hope this was helpful.
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by dancewith: 6:51pm On Mar 09, 2010
@snowwy,

They only required all that because you are in Nigeria and they probably doubted if you are the person named on the birth cert. My friend in the US who was taken there at an early age got his by simplying using the certified copy of his BC to apply for a passport. No other document was required. He got called for an interview and thats all. He now has a British and an American passport

As long as you were born before 1983, you only need to prove your identity to get your passport. so your birth cert plus a completed application form will do. they can call for an interview but thats all there is to it
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by Snowwy: 7:32pm On Mar 09, 2010
@dancewith
Hi,
Actually the list of everything required is handed to you at the Deputy High Commision Lagos office and that is even before verifying the birth certificate.
toks87 said she has been in Nigeria since she was 4 years old so thats the reason why i gave her the info based on the Naija context.
As per your friend getting his with only birth certificate, that was what I was told too many years ago but thats not the case now.
Maybe you can clarify when and where he got his before you assume.
I guess you should take it easy on the 'doubt' here. I am talking from experience but you are talking from hearsay.
Thanks.

@toks87
Kindly view their website - http://ukinnigeria.fco.gov.uk/content/en/article/passport-fta-adult-uk
It basically gives you the requirements needed.
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by dancewith: 7:15am On Mar 10, 2010
@ snowwy,

I am not talking from hearsay. we did the application together. he was taken to the US by his parents at age 2 by his American parents. he only submitted the following, this was in 2008 October

1. The Cerified copy of his UK birth certificate. He was born in 1973
2. His US passport
3. The application form and fees

check http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/passport-documents

I am not saying what you experienced is wrong. They are peculiar to Nigeria. But I must say there is no way they can deny your passport as long as you can prove your identity. Even if those documents they are listing is unavailable, if you can get hold of your Nigerian passport and your birth cert showing your birth in the UK prior to 1983, you are good to go. Get a lawyer to make the filling and representation for you. Do not forget there is a part in the applciation form where a professional will certify as to your identity and that he knows you. You will still get approved regardless unless they can prove it was not you in the birth cert. As long as you were born there before 1983, you were born British and the burden of proof is on them to prove to the contrary not you
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by Snowwy: 7:35am On Mar 10, 2010
@dancewith
Thanks for the clarification cheesy. We are talking about getting your british passport in Nigeria not USA.
At least we now know that in other countries, the required documentation is not as bulky as that asked in Nigeria.
However do note in the link I sent that some of the documents are essential and some desired so I guess its just a thing they will have to use their discretion for at the end of the day. There was a guy I met at the BHC who had his documents up to his parents plane tickets with him but they kept delaying him. I think he had entered one f the EU contries illegally before so they were giving him a hard time. He was talking about lawyers then.
Your information is most appreciated though. smiley
Re: Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen by yada: 9:23pm On Dec 01, 2011
@ Akolawole
Ur advice is funnie but it sucks that kind of law that will prevents people born in uk to get citizenship.

My cousin too has same issue

@ toks any luck with you. Have you gotten british passport yet? I need help too pls.

(1) (Reply)

My Trip To Ireland Dublin / If You Have Been Granted A 6 Months Uk Visa, Is 2 Years Visa Easier To Collect! / Nigerians In Lome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.