Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,251 members, 7,807,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair (20910 Views)

UNBELIEVABLE! 10 Foods That Make Women Grow Bigger Bre Asts (PHOTOS) / Ini Edo’s Facial Makeup Error (pictures) / Check Out @iceprincezamani With His Mom When He Was A Little Boy + @mi_abaga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by yugotee: 6:32pm On Apr 09, 2013
Many women spend a fortune—and put up with a lot of pain—plucking, threading, and waxing away unwanted facial hair. Not Mariam.

The German-born mom, who goes only by her first name, is making headlines for embracing her significant goatee.

Mariam's thick beard is all natural. "It really grows as a goatee, as you can see," she said during an interview with the UK's ITV Network. Instead of shaving, she simply "shortens" the ends to keep herself looking well-groomed, because "If it gets too long, it's a bit frizzy."

Mariam—who is of German and Iranian decent—didn't immediately embrace her facial hair. She says that it began growing in soon after the birth of her son, when she was about 21 years old. Ten years later, it was so thick that she would have a full beard if she didn't tweeze each hair out every morning. It would take her hours to get ready to leave the house, she was so obsessed with pulling out every hair.

"My chin got really red and inflamed from all the plucking, and some of the hairs were ingrown, so it always looked like I'd fallen on my chin," she told ITV's "This Morning." "But when people asked what had happened and I told them they couldn't believe it."

She tried electrolysis three times, "but it just grew back," she confided on the morning talk show. She worried that shaving or waxing would just cause the hair to grow in thicker and darker. She talked to her doctors, who ruled out serious medical problems and reassured her that "it happened to lots of other women, so I shouldn't worry," she remembered. "But they didn't really give me a reason."

Nearly five years ago, she decided to stop plucking and just let the hair grow.

"One day I realized that the hair on my chin belongs to my body and that it should be there," she explained on her blog. "On 6th August 2008, I stopped plucking my facial hair and saw the whole thing as a experiment. What would happen if I let myself be who I really am?"

"When I decided to let it grow it didn't feel brave," she confessed to ITV. "It was more like a curiosity. I wanted to see what would happen to me. There was a big fear that everyone would turn away and nobody would talk to me anymore."

Instead, she found the courage and the freedom to just be herself. She now works with a circus, as their bearded lady act, which gives her a chance to educate people about the issue.

"Today I am happy to have had the chance to live with a beard," she wrote on her blog. "It is an experience that has taught me a lot!"

'I know myself more now,' she told ITV. 'There are always people with a fetish who might only be attracted by the beard, but that is the same with lots of things, even if I were a blonde woman."

What's the cause of excess female facial hair and just how common is it? The FDA reports that more than 41 million women in the United States have hirsutism, or unwanted, male-pattern hair growth. Women with high levels of a naturally occurring hormone called androgen—also known as testosterone—can end up with extra facial hair, according to the Mayo Clinic. Adrenal or ovarian tumors, certain steroids, Cushing's syndrome, and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) can also trigger excess hair growth in women. The amount of facial hair you have can also depend on where your family comes from, states the Mayo Clinic's website. Women of Mediterranean, South Asian, and Middle Eastern descent are more likely than Caucasians to have noticeable facial hair.

Some of the most famous—and most beautiful—women in the world have had excess facial hair. Artist Frieda Kahlo famously flaunted the hair on her upper lip. Generations of women envied Elizabeth Taylor for her amazingly thick eyelashes, but they may have been enhanced by hypertrichosis, a condition that caused dark hair to grow all over her body, including in her ears and nose (the actress was known to shave her face to keep it looking smooth on camera). And Marilyn Monroe used to use a hormone-heavy beauty cream that caused downy hair to grow all over her face.

"She had the heaviest peach fuzz beard of any actress in Hollywood," Gene London, a Marilyn Monroe expert, told British Vogue. "They [studio chiefs] wanted to remove the facial hair, but Marilyn absolutely refused. She said that when the light hit the fuzz it caused her face to have a soft glow, so they didn't have to photograph her through special lenses, lace or Vaseline the way they did with so many stars."

Yugotee's Blog
SOURCE

2 Likes

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by k2039: 6:40pm On Apr 09, 2013
[size=13pt]Indifferent, na she get her face.[/size]
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by PweetiQueensy(f): 11:08pm On Apr 09, 2013
Nuting wey photoshop no go do o

1 Like

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by 2million1(m): 11:32pm On Apr 09, 2013
PweetiQueensy: Nuting wey photoshop no go do o
may not be photoshop dear, av seen women with worst
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by Bigflamie(m): 11:37pm On Apr 09, 2013
Some guys can go any length jus to seek relevance.
Looking at this photokiosked pics got me lol.
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by dc555: 11:44pm On Apr 09, 2013
and so?
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by Nobody: 11:45pm On Apr 09, 2013
[size=13pt]It's not photoshopped.

I'd have to admire her courage. I don't care if I'm shaving or waxing five times a day. There's no way I can leave my house like that sad

As courageous as she is, I despise that she's working in a circus. It's so odd... as if she's conforming to the notion "if you're not normal, then there's no place for you in society.

*shrugs* Maybe I'm wrong.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by GeneralJ(m): 11:47pm On Apr 09, 2013
her face look like man ohh, but the boobyy is woooooow tremendouss
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by kay9(m): 12:13am On Apr 10, 2013
GeneralJ: her face look like man ohh, but the boobyy is woooooow tremendouss

^^i confess... My very same thought.

3 Likes

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by GraceBestowed(f): 9:22am On Apr 10, 2013
Where are all those advocates of women going all natural!? Surely, none of you would wife this woman if she didn't wax consistently!!

3 Likes

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 10, 2013
Most Women with facial hair tend to be very wicked undecided
Shout out to my SS Economics and physics mistress! grin

1 Like

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by kay9(m): 11:04am On Apr 10, 2013
RastaPasta: Look at the shoulders, its def a man. Wendy williams is the only women with shoulders like this, only one!
I beg to disagree. Shoulder-span could be influenced by genes, i have an aunt who's a case in point. Besides if this woman's facial hair is due to high levels of androgen, then it could very well affect her physique (and prolly voice quality, too).

And her jugz look way too natural to be transgendered. I mean, dayuum! Have i mentioned how tremendous those baby-food are? grin

1 Like

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by Orikinla(m): 2:13pm On Apr 10, 2013
I simply gave one a tin of shaving powder as her birthday present. grin
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by Samcenation(m): 2:17pm On Apr 10, 2013
dc555: and so?
abi o
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by richtrump(m): 2:20pm On Apr 10, 2013
What the Heck

1 Like

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by ylaa(f): 2:22pm On Apr 10, 2013
READ IT ON YAHOO DIS MORNING, NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THIS NEWS.
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by Nobody: 2:25pm On Apr 10, 2013
With those kind boo.ooobs eeeh, many guys no go even know say she get Goatee cheesy

Brave woman in between cool
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by buklan4realyah(f): 2:26pm On Apr 10, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.ARE U SERIOUS shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by demmy55(m): 2:27pm On Apr 10, 2013
The beards fit her sha. Handsome woman cool

1 Like

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by demmy55(m): 2:29pm On Apr 10, 2013
ylaa: READ IT ON YAHOO DIS MORNING, NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THIS NEWS.

As I no come read am for yahoo nko? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by 32D: 2:34pm On Apr 10, 2013
well she's still finer than errrrrrrm .............Tonto
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by tpapi: 2:36pm On Apr 10, 2013
Pls ow can i treat my gf hairy legs,she is really uncomfortable wit it
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by razznaija(f): 2:38pm On Apr 10, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by kwajahafiz(m): 2:39pm On Apr 10, 2013
ylaa: READ IT ON YAHOO DIS MORNING, NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THIS NEWS.
what sort of comment is this?. Are u a child?. what about those of us who have not read it on yahoo?..
I swear some of u brothers here need to get the hell out of ur villages lol.

1 Like

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by 50calibre(m): 2:44pm On Apr 10, 2013
PweetiQueensy: Nuting wey photoshop no go do o

Is everything photoshopped? Everything has become photoshopped to some people.

1 Like

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by GraceBestowed(f): 2:52pm On Apr 10, 2013
demmy55: The beards fit her sha. Handsome woman cool
This made me laugh out loud!! LoooL!
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by kay9(m): 2:55pm On Apr 10, 2013
GraceBestowed: Surely, none of you would wife this woman if she didn't wax consistently!!

Wana know something weird? I'm actually tripping for her beards. If i met a woman like this, a personality like her's and such luscious curves, i'm going for her. The hairs will be a plus.

Call it a fetish if you like. Yeah, i'm weird like that.
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by Edoboy1(m): 3:05pm On Apr 10, 2013
Seriously I envy her for being herself. But if she were to be my wife, then I guess my days of having S E X will be ova,cos I can't even imagine it.
Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by GraceBestowed(f): 3:12pm On Apr 10, 2013
kay9:

Wana know something weird? I'm actually tripping for her beards. If i met a woman like this, a personality like her's and such luscious curves, i'm going for her. The hairs will be a plus.

Call it a fetish if you like. Yeah, i'm weird like that.
No oh, it's nice you're able to admit it. To each his own. :-)

1 Like

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by donlyone(m): 3:25pm On Apr 10, 2013
She really has courage leaving it like that, but it will attract a lot of unwanted attention and the kind of stare a girl with one breast will get.

I saw a lady (if it was really a lady) in Anambra, you should see the the facial hair, it was like Pete Edochie with a close shave.
I hope they discover a method of getting rid of facial hair on women.

Its weird.

1 Like

Re: Bearded Mom: When Women Grow Full-Blown Facial Hair by degurl(f): 3:25pm On Apr 10, 2013
Its her choice and her life. My mum have same issue but she doesn't let it grow out. I admire this lady for her courage but me no go fit cos I may be seen as a freak + my hubby will not be comfortable around me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Condoms At My Concert Were For Sex Awareness – Mayorkun / Patoranking Surprises Lady With Dubai Trip, An All Expense-Paid / Maheeda's Husband Buys Share For Her From A Big Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.