Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,853 members, 7,806,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

What Is The State Of The Dead? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The State Of The Dead? (3468 Views)

Doctor Prays Over Dead Patient, Raises Him From The Dead / Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea / Video: T.B Joshua Raises A Man From The Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 09, 2013
Some ppl believe that once ppl die their spirits go either to heaven or hell others believe dt dead r nt conscious of anything & will only get resurected at some point in d future. Both groups hv biblical references. Frankly speaking it is a divisive topic. Let my xtian brethren contribute constructively pls
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Apr 09, 2013
They are dust now and waiting for the resurrect.
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by k2039: 8:44pm On Apr 09, 2013
Bobbysworld28: Both groups hv biblical references.
[size=13pt]Simple, believe anyone you want to believe.[/size]
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 09, 2013
K2039,
U r obviously very smart, aren't u?
U needn't hv bothered 2 reply. U hv bn noticed, now buzz off!
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Apr 09, 2013
Segeggs,
Wht abt d rich man & lazarus? Hw do u explain dt? I'm in a spot of bother on this issue. Care to elaborate on ur stance?
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Apr 09, 2013
Bobbysworld28: Segeggs,
Wht abt d rich man & lazarus? Hw do u explain dt? I'm in a spot of bother on this issue. Care to elaborate on ur stance?

and herein lies the problem , 2 major doctrines of hell and the state of the dead have been formed from just ONE scripture.
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Apr 09, 2013
Whts ur own view frosbel?
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by PreciousAmino: 9:15pm On Apr 09, 2013
Death is no mystery to God the creator of d brain, in his word the bible the clear teaching is this at death one ceases to exist. Ecclesiates 9:5,6 there the bible says in part "for the living are conscious that they will die, but as for the dead they are conscious of nothing at all........for d remembrance of them as been forgotten".Also psalm 146:3,4 tells us about dspirit. "do not put yr trust in nobles.....his spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground in that day his thought do perish." Our life is just like the flame of a candle wen it is put out is simply gone.for more detail see chapter six of d book " What does the bible really teach" publish by Jehovah's witnesses.
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 09, 2013
Precious, Wht abt d rich man & lazarus? Hw do u explain dt?
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by mumumugu(m): 10:37pm On Apr 09, 2013
Experience is best teacher.try kiling yourself and you wil find out

2 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 5:25am On Apr 10, 2013
Thanks mumumugu. U hv outdone urself this time. U really represent dt name. Fits like a glove. Rnt u missing somewhere? NOW SCRAM!

1 Like

Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 5:52am On Apr 10, 2013
What does it mean to be dead?
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 7:12am On Apr 10, 2013
Muskeeto
U don start. Pls let's keep it simple. Dead as in absense of life in d flesh
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 7:15am On Apr 10, 2013
Bobbysworld28: Muskeeto
U don start. Pls let's keep it simple. Dead as in absense of life in d flesh

U sabi me na. Lol,

Anyways isnt absence of life A state?

Except you're alluding to souls and all, which would meam we never really die..

Hope you get my drift?
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 10, 2013
I get ur drift.
So u imply dt d soul lives on. Where? How? To wht end?
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 8:02am On Apr 10, 2013
Bobbysworld28: I get ur drift.
So u imply dt d soul lives on. Where? How? To wht end?
Lol. I have no idea what souls are. Do animals have souls too?

I'm of the opinion that you die and DAZ ALL. No heavenly supreme courts and what mot: just a bunch of maggots having a fight over the juicy parts of your balls and belle.. Lol
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by dorox(m): 8:05am On Apr 10, 2013
In describing death to Adam, God told him that "from dust dust you were and to dust you shall return."
How do you think that Adam understood that statement? That he has in immortal soul that can never die even after being cut off from God's life sustaining spirit? Or would he have understood the statement to mean that having been cut off from God's life sustaining spirit, he would gradually revert back to the same lifeless state that he was (dust) before he was created? Just like an electric fan on full blast gradually coming to a halt soon after it's power supply is cut off.

1 Like

Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 10, 2013
@dorox
Close out ur case. U left me hanging there
@muskeeto
Duly noted. I won't quote scripture 4 u because u no b christian. I will take u up on dis on anoda thread
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by dorox(m): 8:43am On Apr 10, 2013
Bobbysworld28: @dorox
Close out ur case. U left me hanging there
@muskeeto
Duly noted. I won't quote scripture 4 u because u no b christian. I will take u up on dis on anoda thread
God described death to Adam as a return to the lifeless state he was before he was created. If there is a soul that transcends death, that would have been a good time for God to tell him the fate of his soul after dying. But as it was, his only punishment was death, from dust to dust.
In Jesus words, "no man has ascended up to heaven but the Son of man that descended to earth." Looking at that statement, it should tell you that none of the dead before he came have gone to heaven, they still remained as dust.
Until He calls out with a loud voice and awaken those that would hear his voice, everybody remains as dust.
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by ijawkid(m): 8:49am On Apr 10, 2013
dorox: In describing death to Adam, God told him that "from dust dust you were and to dust you shall return."
How do you think that Adam understood that statement? That he has in immortal soul that can never die even after being cut off from God's life sustaining spirit? Or would he have understood the statement to mean that having been cut off from God's life sustaining spirit, he would gradually revert back to the same lifeless state that he was (dust) before he was created? Just like an electric fan on full blast gradually coming to a halt soon after it's power supply is cut off.

If people can really listen to Gods words to adam then they won't have problems understanding what happens to us at death....except many would agree that after adam and eve died things changed..........
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 9:05am On Apr 10, 2013
If God's word to Adam is dt he returns 2 lifelessness, wht abt d parable abt Lazarus & d rich man? Remember dt after Jesus died Spirits of dead before came out. It is believed dt they r cloud of witnesses dt went up with Jesus as he ascended.
Is it possible dt they were somewhere else apart from heaven?
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by ijawkid(m): 9:28am On Apr 10, 2013
Bobbysworld28: If God's word to Adam is dt he returns 2 lifelessness, wht abt d parable abt Lazarus & d rich man? Remember dt after Jesus died Spirits of dead before came out. It is believed dt they r cloud of witnesses dt went up with Jesus as he ascended.

Is the bolded found in the scriptures??....
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by dorox(m): 9:31am On Apr 10, 2013
Bobbysworld28: If God's word to Adam is dt he returns 2 lifelessness, wht abt d parable abt Lazarus & d rich man? Remember dt after Jesus died Spirits of dead before came out. It is believed dt they r cloud of witnesses dt went up with Jesus as he ascended.
The rich man as you said was a parable, it wasn't a real event in the same way that the talking sheep and goats in Jesus' other parable never really spoke because they weren't real events, they symbolise something. As for having a cloud of witnesses ascending with jesus, you will have to ask those who say so for the scriptures that led them to that belief. My thought on it is that the people present at his Ascension were enough witness.
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 10, 2013
@ijawkid
Dts d reason I wrote it is believed. I did state it as a fact
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 10:17am On Apr 10, 2013
@dorox
Most times Jesus spoke in parables in other times he spoke plainly. After reading this part again I believe he was being plain. This story is right after he instructs against a man putting his wife away (Luke 16).
Moreover he named names. He mentioned Abraham and Lazarus by name. This was no parable. This was an actual event, I think.
Moreover upon his death they were freed from dt place. Matthew 27:50
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by ijawkid(m): 10:22am On Apr 10, 2013
Bobbysworld28: @ijawkid
Dts d reason I wrote it is believed. I did state it as a fact

Good you knw it isn't a fact...now from the scriptures that claim is false.......

When we die we become dust awaiting ressurection........

Until we expereince ressurection just as Jesus did we remain in our graves or tombs......
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 10, 2013
Ijawkid
Check d post before ur last post
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 10, 2013
ijawkid:

Good you knw it isn't a fact...now from the scriptures that claim is false.......

When we die we become dust awaiting ressurection........

Until we expereince ressurection just as Jesus did we remain in our graves or tombs......

What do you mean by we become dust?
What becomes dust?
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by ijawkid(m): 10:54am On Apr 10, 2013
musKeeto:

What do you mean by we become dust?
What becomes dust?

When I say dust I mean we decay...we rot.....

From the ground we were made,and back to the ground we return......
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by ijawkid(m): 10:57am On Apr 10, 2013
Bobbysworld28: @dorox
Most times Jesus spoke in parables in other times he spoke plainly. After reading this part again I believe he was being plain. This story is right after he instructs against a man putting his wife away (Luke 16).
Moreover he named names. He mentioned Abraham and Lazarus by name. This was no parable. This was an actual event, I think.

From that parable where can we say abraham was??.....if you decide to look at that parable as not a parable per se but a real life experience then I just want you to answer where abraham and lazaruz were.. was.......
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by Nobody: 10:58am On Apr 10, 2013
ijawkid:

When I say dust I mean we decay...we rot.....

From the ground we were made,and back to the ground we return......
But I thought the soul was different from the body?

Abi upon resurrection, the physical body os restored along with the soul? Confused right now..
Re: What Is The State Of The Dead? by ijawkid(m): 11:03am On Apr 10, 2013
Bobbysworld28: This was an actual event, I think.

Please how do u understand matthew 27:50??...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Popular South Africa Prophet, Bushiri Exposed, Prophesied By Samuel Akinbodunse / When A Woman Has Seducing Spirit / The Mother Of God. What Do You Think?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.