Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,552 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April (7535 Views)

Nigeria Starts Evacuation Of Citizens From South Africa - Vanguard / Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' / Colonel Gadhaffi Vs Colonel Ojukwu:who Got Balls Of Steel?who Was The Real Man? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by wesley80(m): 5:37am On Apr 10, 2013
Nigeria Begins Export Of Steel In April

Nigeria's dream of becoming a major player in the steel sector is finally coming to reality, as its first consignment of steel for export begins this month. African Foundries Limited, a foreign company operating in Nigeria, will begin export of steel to Ghana this April, to finally break the jinx and put the country on the global steel map.

African Foundries Limited, with production capacity of 500,000 tons of steel billets, has a state of the art continuous rolling facility, and is the only TMT producing mill in Nigeria, and its first export consignment is about five metric tons.

Sanjay Kumar,the company’s managing director, said exports would commence on April 27, 2013.

“Today is a proud and pleasant moment, and we are showcasing our feat to announce the breakthrough, because we have started to produce for export,” Kumar declared, adding that the firm started with one five ton capacity induction furnace in 2010.

Kumar added that the company now has multiple furnaces of bigger capacity, along with a re-bar mill and a structural rolling mill, with current capacity at 500,000 tons per year.

“With this plant and the two others in Ikorodu, Lagos and Suleja, in Niger state, we are targeting 1 million metric tons per year to be able to position ourselves for the 1.5 million metric tons Nigerians demand for steel.”

African Steel mill has 200,000 metric tons capacity while Abuja Steel mills in Suleja which will be commissioned soon have 150,000 metric tons per year capacity.

Kumar said the company's products are at par with what obtains in other parts of the world, adding that the main component is scraps sourced by about 5,000 otherwise unemployed youths.

African Foundries' clients are drawn from the construction industry, where lots of heavy construction projects are on-going across the country. This is complemented by the normal market consumption from the 36 states.

“Big construction firms depend on us and we produce to their specifications”, says Kumar who highlighted several challenges of which infrastructure and import duty regime are key.

“The steel industry will develop better, if the import regime is favourable. Nigeria is one of the richest ,especially in iron-ore, and the development of the industry will put the country at par with others in five years,” Sanjay said, adding that infrastructure such as good roads is hampering production.

The country’s feat is coming on the heels of the Federal Government’s protracted failures to develop the steel sector due to mismanagement and abandonment of its several steel companies.

The Federal Government in 1971 established an extra-ministerial agency called “Nigerian Steel Development Authority” (NSDA) and backed up by Decree to focalise efforts required to focalise a steel plant.

The agency that was later dissolved, gave birth to Ajaokuta Steel Project, Ajaokuta, Delta Steel Company, Ovwian - Aladja , Jos Steel Rolling Company, Jos , and Katsina Steel Rolling Company, Katsina.

Others are Oshogbo Steel Rolling Company, Oshogbo, National Iron Ore Mining Company, Itakpe, National Steel Raw Materials Exploration Agency, Kaduna, National Metallurgical Development Center, Jos and Metallurgical Training Institute, Onitsha.

Today however, despite the huge resources ploughed into Nigeria’s steel industry, the sector has been comatose and Ajaokuta Steel Complex, Kogi State; Delta Steel Complex, Aladja, Delta State; Osogbo Steel Rolling Mill and Katsina Steel Rolling Mill, are in pathetic situations.

But where the government has failed, African Foundries Ltd, a flagship of the African Steel Mill group, commissioned in 2011 and located in Ogijo, Ogun state has succeeded and will begin export of about 5,000 metric tons of TMT rebar to Ghana by the third week of April.

http://businessdaynigeria.com/nigeria-begins-export-steel-april

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by wesley80(m): 5:42am On Apr 10, 2013
Pufff, FRESH AIR just struck you in the face

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by EkoAtlantic: 5:55am On Apr 10, 2013
Commendable
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by Nobody: 5:59am On Apr 10, 2013
So really, how will this affect the price of garri cry

Dem go just tiff all the proceeds until the whole industry packs up again.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by wesley80(m): 6:08am On Apr 10, 2013
^ This is clearly beyond your intelligence, oya go backyard go play with sand-sand.

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by Nobody: 6:24am On Apr 10, 2013
The key to unlock the greatness in the Nigerian economy lies in the private sector.

This is why I'm so happy with the massive privatisation of majority of PHCN infrastructure. If the govt can conclude the process, my support and vote would have done its work. Other added things would be jara.

I expect the privatisation to also sweep through the petroleum sector. The proposed turn around maintenance of the govt owned refineries does not make sense. Those refineries should be privatised as soon as possible.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by wesley80(m): 7:38am On Apr 10, 2013
^ Privatization seems to be the way forward for Nigeria but I'll hesitate to tag it the "panacea" for our industrial problems.
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by ba7man(m): 7:45am On Apr 10, 2013
Nigeria still on course......All the naysayers, keep watching.
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by Nobody: 7:46am On Apr 10, 2013
The future is bright. ThankGod! I belong to the future.
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by deandavid(m): 7:57am On Apr 10, 2013
Great job, we need to do more of exporting, although more is needed to be done. We need massive industralization to create jobs.
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by solomon111(m): 8:02am On Apr 10, 2013
Great news.
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by awodman: 8:13am On Apr 10, 2013
ba7man: Nigeria still on course......All the naysayers, keep watching.
My man!!!..u see what most of us Ave been expressing HOPE.Like sincere9nigerian pointed out,U MIGHT HAVE BEEN HUNGRY FOR LONG AND SUDDENLY SM1 GOES INTO THE KITCHEN TO PREPARE THE FOOD.In that case you got 2 be hopeful and at same time patient.
Let's keep hoping ƒσя the best and criticize the govt constructively whenever they go astray.

@ topic very good development,we pray it remains sustainable and above all create JOBS

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by 1MCN: 8:18am On Apr 10, 2013
In my little understanding I think that this present govt is really trying to deliver on its promises to citizens but sometimes I get some very disparaging stories and comments here on NL that it's very confusing to make a clear judgement. But however, I am beginning to believe that those select few who feel that the govt house shud be their exclusive patrimony are just plucking every string to pull the "illegal" occupants down.
God bless Nig

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by abes(m): 8:20am On Apr 10, 2013
wesley80:
Badejo Ademuyiwa
Nigeria's dream of becoming a major player in the steel sector is finally coming to reality, as its first consignment of steel for export begins this month. African Foundries Limited, a foreign company operating in Nigeria, will begin export of steel to Ghana this April, to finally break the jinx and put the country on the global steel map. African Foundries Limited, with production capacity of 500,000 tons of steel billets, has a state of the art continuous rolling facility, and is the only TMT producing mill in Nigeria, and its first export consignment is about five metric tons. Sanjay Kumar,the company’s managing director, said exports would commence on April 27, 2013. “Today is a proud and pleasant moment, and we are showcasing our feat to announce the breakthrough, because we have started to produce for export,” Kumar declared, adding that the firm started with one five ton capacity induction furnace in 2010. Kumar added that the company now has multiple furnaces of bigger capacity, along with a re-bar mill and a structural rolling mill, with current capacity at 500,000 tons per year. “With this plant and the two others in Ikorodu, Lagos and Suleja, in Niger state, we are targeting 1 million metric tons per year to be able to position ourselves for the 1.5 million metric tons Nigerians demand for steel.”
African Steel mill has 200,000 metric tons capacity while Abuja Steel mills in Suleja which will be commissioned soon have 150,000 metric tons per year capacity. Kumar said the company's products are at par with what obtains in other parts of the world, adding that the main component is scraps sourced by about 5,000 otherwise unemployed youths. African Foundries' clients are drawn from the construction industry, where lots of heavy construction projects are on-going across the country. This is complemented by the normal market consumption from the 36 states. “Big construction firms depend on us and we produce to their specifications”, says Kumar who highlighted several challenges of which infrastructure and import duty regime are key. “The steel industry will develop better, if the import regime is favourable. Nigeria is one of the richest ,especially in iron-ore, and the development of the industry will put the country at par with others in five years,” Sanjay said, adding that infrastructure such as good roads is hampering production. The country’s feat is coming on the heels of the Federal Government’s protracted failures to develop the steel sector due to mismanagement and abandonment of its several steel companies.
The Federal Government in 1971 established an extra-ministerial agency called “Nigerian Steel Development Authority” (NSDA) and backed up by Decree to focalise efforts required to focalise a steel plant. The agency that was later dissolved, gave birth to Ajaokuta Steel Project, Ajaokuta, Delta Steel Company, Ovwian - Aladja , Jos Steel Rolling Company, Jos , and Katsina Steel Rolling Company, Katsina. Others are Oshogbo Steel Rolling Company, Oshogbo, National Iron Ore Mining Company, Itakpe, National Steel Raw Materials Exploration Agency, Kaduna, National Metallurgical Development Center, Jos and Metallurgical Training Institute, Onitsha. Today however, despite the huge resources ploughed into Nigeria’s steel industry, the sector has been comatose and Ajaokuta Steel Complex, Kogi State; Delta Steel Complex, Aladja, Delta State; Osogbo Steel Rolling Mill and Katsina Steel Rolling Mill, are in pathetic situations. But where the government has failed, African Foundries Ltd, a flagship of the African Steel Mill group, commissioned in 2011 and located in Ogijo, Ogun state has succeeded and will begin export of about 5,000 metric tons of TMT rebar to Ghana by the third week of April.

Nigerian government and failure are like siamese twins.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by BrosG: 8:42am On Apr 10, 2013
I am loving this
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by FoxyUltimate(m): 8:49am On Apr 10, 2013
Larryfly:

and u jus had to go thru all dis stress to expose ur stupidity....ah tink ur name shuld be fools ultimate

That's pure creativity my friend
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by ajos(m): 8:50am On Apr 10, 2013
na wen dis steel wul be use to produce armour tankers,submarine,fighter jets,and many more military equipment....?
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by oyakhi(m): 8:50am On Apr 10, 2013
There is money in Importation

Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by wesley80(m): 8:57am On Apr 10, 2013
Larryfly:

and u jus had to go thru all dis stress to expose ur stupidity....ah tink ur name shuld be fools ultimate

You come across to me as being more foolish than the one you were criticizing.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by AmeLonRo(m): 8:58am On Apr 10, 2013
Exportation of steel is long overdue. We are in April already... So help Nigeria God ko?
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by Noblechyk: 8:59am On Apr 10, 2013
Slow & steady, we 'll surely get there.
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by gateleo(m): 9:00am On Apr 10, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The key to unlock the greatness in the Nigerian economy lies in the private sector.

This is why I'm so happy with the massive privatisation of majority of PHCN infrastructure. If the govt can conclude the process, my support and vote would have done its work. Other added things would be jara.

I expect the privatisation to also sweep through the petroleum sector. The proposed turn around maintenance of the govt owned refineries does not make sense. Those refineries should be privatised as soon as possible.

Unsincere nigerian, I tot u said nairalander ar always against GEJ gov. The same nairalander ar now singin is praise for dis devptmt. Hop u can read btw the line bro!
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by Noblechyk: 9:00am On Apr 10, 2013
Larryfly:

It make me wonder what's d job description of mods.
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by Noblechyk: 9:01am On Apr 10, 2013
Larryfly:

It makes me wonder what's d job description of mods.
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by CosaNostra: 9:02am On Apr 10, 2013
Are we not in April already, or is it April of 2015?
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by solomon111(m): 9:08am On Apr 10, 2013
Cosa Nostra: Are we not in April already, or is it April of 2015?
27th of april.
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by aieromon(m): 9:14am On Apr 10, 2013
Inhale,Exhale.

I hope the government learns one or two things if this project becomes successful.
Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by Nobody: 9:16am On Apr 10, 2013
The same old mentality. Nigerians heard about a foreign company exploiting our steel and they are all happy. The question is not just about exporting our natural products but the real question should be when are we going to start using our abundant natural resources to be manufacturing products and then exporting those manufactured high quality products to countries all around the world?

That, my people should be the vision.

Let;s think deep about this.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April by AZeD1(m): 9:16am On Apr 10, 2013
wesley80: ^ Privatization seems to be the way forward for Nigeria but I'll hesitate to tag it the "panacea" for our industrial problems.
Its not the total cure but it will help in curing some of the illness currently plaguing the country.

One question though, why are we exporting steel for now? Have we met our local needs? Hope it doesn't turn out to be like the petroleum sector where we export crude and import fuel.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News: Buhari Sacks More Than 200 Eastern Army loyal To Jonathan / No Power Outages For Four Days Now In Shomolu, Lagos / Oyetola Approves N121 Million Death Benefits For Osun Retirees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.