Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

14 Ways To Defend Yourself In Case Of An Attack - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 14 Ways To Defend Yourself In Case Of An Attack (791 Views)

Go, Defend Yourself, Buhari Tells Saraki / Hawk Attacks Drone To Defend Its Territory / 14 Ways To Manipulate Your Mind For Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Ways To Defend Yourself In Case Of An Attack by obelisk(m): 9:15am On Apr 10, 2013
1. Observe the person (or people) attacking you. Try to estimate their aggression levels, and possible ability of fighting. It is easier than people think to understand an opponent just by observing their aggression responses.
2. Do not fight if you don't have to. Try to talk down the fight. If you see that they are slowly calming down, say what you need to in order to get them to walk away. Even if you believe you have done nothing wrong, its still better to avoid a physical altercation.
3. If you ever have a chance to flee and escape the attack, do it. You can do this by throwing a wallet, watch or whatever the attacker wants in the opposite direction so you can escape.
4. Stay alert and prepare yourself. If aggression levels remain high, you should begin preparing yourself for a strike. Keep yourself centered. Bring your body closer together and tight so that you are smaller. This will make it harder to fight you and will give you more control when you need to defend yourself. Remember that keeping your body compact will prevent you from flailing and will make it easier to keep your balance during strikes.
5. '''Know the defensive position.''' Put your non-dominate leg in front and pointing outward. Bring down your body so that your center of gravity is low. With your front fist closed and blocking your face, keep your balance until you are ready to pivot your body.
6. '''Know how to kick.''' In your starting defensive position, bring your back leg and shoulder forward, turning your body 180 degrees. With the momentum your body created, lift your back leg up and then straighten your knee to deliver the blow.
7. '''Know how to punch.''' In your starting defensive position, bring your back fist and shoulder forward, turning your body 180 degrees. Your back shoulder should pass your front one and your whole body will follow. Using this momentum your body created, deliver a closed fist punch to your attacker.
8. When the aggressor attacks, deliver a proportional response. If you are hit, make sure that you are hitting back enough to defend yourself and to deliver a blow without being overly aggressive. If for some reason, the police become involved, you can be arrested for assault even if you didn't instigate, if you were striking not in self-defense.
9. Try to disarm your attacker so that you have the opportunity to escape. Usually, its best to go for the most vulnerable body parts on your attacker. This will depend on your height (if you are short, attacking his/her eyes might be difficult) or size (if you are small, you maybe not have enough force to attack his/her stomach) and your attackers height and size.
a. '''Eyes:''' Blind your attacker by gauging out his/her eyes by thrusting your fingers into his/her eyes.
b. '''Throat:''' Knock the wind out of your opponent by hitting him/her in the throat with your fist (See: know how to punch, above).
c.'''Ears:''' Quickly clasp your hands over both of your attackers ears at the same time, this will cause a ringing in his/her ears.
d. '''Groin:''' If your attacker is a male, kick or punch his groin. He will likely fall to the ground, giving you a chance to escape.
e. '''Solar plexus:''' This will cause your attacker to fall over if done with enough force. Either kick or punch (See: know how to punch and know how to kick, above) your attacker in the solar plexus (stomach/abs).
f. '''Nose:''' Punch your opponent in the face with your fist (See: know how to punch, above) to cause they to focus their attention on their face.
10. Always remain in the defensive position. Don't give your attacker the chance to grab your arm or catch you off balance. As soon as you hit him/her return to the "defensive position" (See: above).
11. If you can't escape, protect yourself as best as you can. This means cover your vulnerable body parts. Always cover your face. If you are on the ground, roll into a ball and cover your head.
12. If it escalates, create a weapon. If, and only if, the situation becomes too difficult to handle, look for a weapon on your person. Keys, purse, belts, etc. are not ideal but they could be the difference between a couple of stitches and a serious stay in the hospital.
13. As soon as you can, escape and seek help. Never try to "finish" a fight. If you see an out, take it and seek help. This is going to help if charges get pressed. Immediately explain what is going on to someone who can help: 911 dispatch, the nearest police officer or a good Samaritan. Have them call the police and immediately write up a report or have them take a statement of what happened.
14. Seek medical attention, if needed. Depending on how severe your condition, do this first before anything else…
Culled from: wikihow

For Advanced and practical self defence training, contact idwurd@yahoo.com
Re: 14 Ways To Defend Yourself In Case Of An Attack by otunbaneyo09(m): 11:05am On Apr 10, 2013
Confirm
Re: 14 Ways To Defend Yourself In Case Of An Attack by Emmyk(m): 6:37pm On Apr 10, 2013
LoL. Sweet to read, hard to practice.. If the attacker is with a gun, dont try any stup¡d move..
Emi o kpe meji.
Re: 14 Ways To Defend Yourself In Case Of An Attack by Emmyk(m): 6:47pm On Apr 10, 2013
I remember the first time I was robbed in my lodge in school(Dec,2012), the dude just broke in with a bottle and club,..broad day light! Since I havent seen something as such happen for real before, had to comply with him I was not thinkin straight, while he was shouting that I should hand over my phone, I removed my simcard tho. He left with my laptop nd two phones. But 1Month later(Jan 14th,2013), his friend that they organised it together came and told us how it all went. I've been paid half the cost of what was stolen,the rest to be paid later..lol. I dont wanna sustain any cut via his bottle or club, that's why I complied.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Oiltest Group / NnbhjkJHvvshjbv / Photo Of The Week !!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.