Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,212 members, 7,807,727 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal (8502 Views)

Difference Between Web Portal And Website? / Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? / Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Wilfredng: 11:40am On Apr 12, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
^^^ I once had an insider in a certain state government "office" that had a website that hadn't been updated in 4 years, yet an annual budget of N20m was set aside for "maintenance" of same website tongue

What a shame!
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:43am On Apr 12, 2013
I visited the website sometimes last year.
I m not impressed cos there are few pics of Nigeria in it.
When it's back to function, the so called webmaster should upload pics of beautiful places in Nigeria.
I visited the website of Cape Verde recently & I was impressed with the pics of beautiful places in that country.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 12, 2013
#das all
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by boron10(m): 11:48am On Apr 12, 2013
The Useless Ghanaians now have enough insult ammunition in their Arsenal. I'm appalled
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Nobody: 11:49am On Apr 12, 2013
lots of laughter over here oooooo
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by livethinme: 11:49am On Apr 12, 2013
thelastPope:

Not true at all. Most of you just spew wrong information.

http://www.usa.gov/

That is the American government site. Doesnt pay host to all other sites. It is actually a simple site without any flare. Each department has a responsibility to promote their own site

And this one is for general info about the workings of the gov. Its a failure, stop trying to defend them.
How many millions of Naira have been diverted to improve federal governmental websites? Clearly there are incompetent people within the responsible ministry.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by jacob05(m): 11:50am On Apr 12, 2013
The Site Self na TABLE based... undecided
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by BarryX(m): 11:53am On Apr 12, 2013
Not too good if at this age they don't .... Using Federal Ministry of Information site as a reference site is laughable.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by GTech1: 12:01pm On Apr 12, 2013
thelastPope:

That is the American government site. Doesnt pay host to all other sites. It is actually a simple site without any flare. Each department has a responsibility to promote their own site

Please, visit www.usa.gov again and click on government agencies, it will take you to web sites of government, federal government and lastly to states, local and tribes in USA.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Lilimax(f): 12:04pm On Apr 12, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
^^^ I once had an insider in a certain state government "office" that had a website that hadn't been updated in 4 years, yet an annual budget of N20m was set aside for "maintenance" of same website tongue
It shows what corruption has done to this nation. When shall we get it right in this country? At 53 we are still behaving like a toddler . God will destroy the enemies of this nation as well as the people that are hindering the progress of my beloved country. God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by awodman: 12:31pm On Apr 12, 2013
I don't know when PUNCH wrote this news,but if its I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅ todays paper then it seems that maybe they are on a hidden agenda to discredit whatever the efforts of this adminstration might be.Just yesterday this piece of news was reported by all most all dailies
awodman: The Hon Minister of Communication Technology, Mrs.
Omobola Johnson will on Tuesday 16th of April launch
the Federal Government Service Portal in Abuja as part of
the initiatives for ‘Getting Government Online’’ to
improve service delivery to citizens and other
stakeholders.

This is in furtherance of one of the key mandates of the
Ministry centred on deploying information and
communication technology to drive transparency in
governance and improve the quality of public service
delivery

The primary objective of deploying the Government
Service Portal, an initiative of the Ministry of
Communication Technology according to a statement
made available by the special Adviser on Media to the
Minister, Efem Nkanga is to create an easy and single
point of entry for Nigerians and other stakeholders to
access government services online.

The Services Portal which is built using the latest web
technology brings together a directory of existing online
government services, as well as newly automated
services from the ministries of Industry, Trade and
Investment, Agriculture, Education, Health and
Communication Technology.

Some of the newly automated processes and services on
the portal are patent and trademark registration,
evaluation and accreditation of academic certificates,
farmer’s registration, registration and accreditation of
seed companies, seed import and export permit,
application for spectrum license, License Procedure for
Class type license and License procedure for individual
type license.

The Services Portal has several key benefits which
include improved access to government information for
citizens and improved efficiency in the delivery of
government services to the citizenry.

The Portal is a pilot project that will evolve over-time to
enhance service delivery and impact positively on the
ability of government to drive the use of ICT in
governance, as well as promote the development of
institutional ICT framework and tools that will enhance
citizens’ engagement and online delivery of government
services.

In addition the portal and the related web services will
enable citizens and businesses better interact with
government
Source : www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/fg-to-launch-govt-services-portal/
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Revolva(m): 12:42pm On Apr 12, 2013
grin grin Nigeria....na wa oo..and just yesterday minister for information said we will soon start using a new national ID with biometric..comon to upload a website ..na wahala......na dem sabi ..see d cheap website sef......hacker will destroy it
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Orikinla(m): 12:50pm On Apr 12, 2013
[size=28pt]Government websites in Nigeria are among the worst websites I have ever seen in the world.
The ruling party PDP's website is like something designed and managed by an American kid in elementary school. There were even Google AdWord adverts on it some months ago. grin
When you see the PDP's website, you will know that the so called largest political party in Africa is a political fraud.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 12, 2013
Useless head wise followers
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by vokalguy(m): 12:53pm On Apr 12, 2013
eduson33: ok

So all you got to say was 'ok' Are you f**king kidding me right now? So no meaningful contribution whatsoever huh?!

Anyway back to the topic... It is a disgrace for the so called giant of Africa not to have a functioning web portal and I am sure someone somewhere is getting paid to run the website!
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by vokalguy(m): 12:53pm On Apr 12, 2013
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Wisdytech(m): 12:58pm On Apr 12, 2013
Its a Shame, A whole FEDERAL GOVERNMENT! HAS No official site? Jst see jst PRIVATE SITE LIKE, www.nairaland.com am jst SPEECHLESS NOW

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by HARDDON: 12:59pm On Apr 12, 2013
thelastPope:

huh? undecided undecided

guy dont swin in waters you got no true knowledge of.

couldnt descend so low to trade words with you

bottom line is NIgeria has got to have a sleek site of its own!

not that crap up there that some goons has quoted millions for!
and certainly not affiliates sites. so suck on that
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by An0nimus: 1:10pm On Apr 12, 2013
Please someone help me out: There was this thread on NL one time about web developers on NL joining effort to redesign a Nigerian webiste (probably this one). or am I wrong?
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by HARDDON: 1:22pm On Apr 12, 2013
livethinme:

And this one is for general info about the workings of the gov. Its a failure, stop trying to defend them.
How many millions of Naira have been diverted to improve federal governmental websites? Clearly there are incompetent people within the responsible ministry.

good question!
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Raypawer(m): 1:37pm On Apr 12, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
@omni
Abi o! In some other countries, that site would have garnered some kind of a response. It makes me believe what I have heard about the NFF not being happy with Nigeria going all the way during tournaments so that they can claim the balance of the money for themselves.

God of heaven!
if this saying is true, then this country is
guy forget am, na my coun3 sha!
ie go beta....
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by thelastPope(m): 1:45pm On Apr 12, 2013
livethinme:

It isnt about defending them. It is about round pegs in round holes. Just because you critic something doesnt make you right. I dont like the website, but the criticism is wrong for 2 reasons:

1. They just announced they are launching a new web portal on the 16th. If you have to criticize, then that is the one to critic when it is launched.

2. Main govenrment websites are never designed to be sleek and elaborate. It isnt an entertainment site. Each agency is responsible for their own web portal. All you need is some kind of synergy. That is why I posted the USA government website. It isnt sleek and isnt so elaborate. Each agency have their own portals. Only some central issues are handled on the main government website.

So there is nothing wrong with criticism, but this thread is unnecessary. If anything, a thread to critic should be opened after the launch of the new portal. Criticism against government isnt the new intelligence like some of you think. lol
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by metmartins: 1:49pm On Apr 12, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
Most of the government official, are old school. Website doesnt matter to them at all.

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by greenmouse(m): 2:11pm On Apr 12, 2013
i can even do a sample dash them.....if they want it.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by OmolodMilkman93(m): 3:18pm On Apr 12, 2013
no wonda Oga at the top doesnt knw his website

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by babanne(m): 4:23pm On Apr 12, 2013
And thats why you should not blame people like "my oga at the top"

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Fiawest(m): 4:50pm On Apr 12, 2013
Y are we now blaming and making jest of Commander Shem.....the fact is,this political actors are erring when it comes to IT.Sorry 9ja.dats all.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by viruz007(m): 4:50pm On Apr 12, 2013
Who post that usa.gov website should calm down. See the simplicity of the website and the way the agencies are listed. Nna can we copy that and do it? #TeamWebMasters of Nairaland, Seun, can we do this to save our country's face in the worldwide web arena?
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by AmeLonRo(m): 5:26pm On Apr 12, 2013
Nigeria we hail thee grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 12, 2013
HARDDON:

all these are affiliates.

http://www.nigeria.gov.ng/ this is supposed to pay host to all others.

it is an insult to call a Father the name of HIS child

Kanu Nwankwo did.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by livethinme: 6:02pm On Apr 12, 2013
thelastPope:

It isnt about defending them. It is about round pegs in round holes. Just because you critic something doesnt make you right. I dont like the website, but the criticism is wrong for 2 reasons:

1. They just announced they are launching a new web portal on the 16th. If you have to criticize, then that is the one to critic when it is launched.

2. Main govenrment websites are never designed to be sleek and elaborate. It isnt an entertainment site. Each agency is responsible for their own web portal. All you need is some kind of synergy. That is why I posted the USA government website. It isnt sleek and isnt so elaborate. Each agency have their own portals. Only some central issues are handled on the main government website.

So there is nothing wrong with criticism, but this thread is unnecessary. If anything, a thread to critic should be opened after the launch of the new portal. Criticism against government isnt the new intelligence like some of you think. lol

1. Sure, and we should critic the new one as well. However, this doesn't stop us from criticising the current website....which doesn't exist.

2. I agree with you, it doesn't have to look nice (although I think it should), it should contain relevant information thats user friendly and readily available. Thats the problem though..there is no website.

Saying that we should wait until the launch of the new portal is unfair because millions of naira are still being poured into the maintenance of these federal websites. Even if a new one is about to be launched, a skeleton service should still be available for people who require information.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by thelastPope(m): 6:16pm On Apr 12, 2013
livethinme:

1. Sure, and we should critic the new one as well. However, this doesn't stop us from criticising the current website....which doesn't exist.

2. I agree with you, it doesn't have to look nice (although I think it should), it should contain relevant information thats user friendly and readily available. Thats the problem though..there is no website.

Saying that we should wait until the launch of the new portal is unfair because millions of naira are still being poured into the maintenance of these federal websites. Even if a new one is about to be launched, a skeleton service should still be available for people who require information.

This point is that these stuff have not really existed over the years. Most of these stuff are really starting from scratch. That is one credit people dont give to the current FG. People comment like they have been in power forever. Most of these projects they have started are less than 2 years old. I am waiting to personally critic the new portal. I dont expect it to be wow, but I do expect it to be functional and to provide the right information and services. If it provides the services as listed in the announcement and it works well, I will commend them. I dont care much about the aesthetics. But if the function and services dont work, I will give them the stick.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Your Facebook Ads Are Not Getting Clicks / 7 Ways To Drive Traffic From Forums To Your Blog / The Most Influential Nigerians On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.