Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,177 members, 7,807,568 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries (14705 Views)

Jumia 2015 Black Fridays Sales In Nigeria Is A Scam / Positive Ideas Youths Can Use In Developing Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Orikinla(m): 7:33pm On Apr 10, 2013
Nigeria Among 81 Countries Lagging Behind In Science

Nigeria is among the following 81 science-lagging developing countries identified by The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS).

Afghanistan
Angola
Azerbaijan
Bangladesh
Belize
Benin
Bhutan
Botswana
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cambodia
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Chad
Comoros Islands
Congo, Dem. Rep.
Congo, Rep.
Côte d'Ivoire
Djibouti
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
El Salvador
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gabon
Gambia
Ghana
Guatemala
Guinea-Bissau
Guinea
Guyana
Haiti
Honduras
Indonesia
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Korea DPR
Kyrgyzstan
Lao PDR
Lesotho
Liberia
Madagascar
Malawi
Maldives
Mali
Mauritania
Mongolia
Mozambique
Myanmar
Nepal
Nicaragua
Niger
Nigeria
Papua New Guinea
Paraguay
Peru
Rwanda
Samoa
São Tome and Principe
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Suriname
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Timor-Leste
Togo
Tuvalu
Uganda
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu
Vietnam
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe

About TWAS
TWAS is an autonomous international organization based in Trieste, Italy. Its principal aim is to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in the South.

Source: http://twas.ictp.it/common/STLC

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 7:34pm On Apr 10, 2013
Tell us something we don't know. lol.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by sbeezy8: 7:38pm On Apr 10, 2013
very true, my padi was saying that had he been in naija he would never major in biology as he is now.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Orikinla(m): 7:47pm On Apr 10, 2013
nnenna.1:
So, what are you doing about it?
Still dancing Azonto? Duh. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Rossikk(m): 8:46pm On Apr 10, 2013
What amazes me is the way people simply accept whatever these fly-by-night, mom and pop foreign organizations announce in their 'newsletters'.

What was their methodology for the research?

Nobody asks.

Who are they?

Nobody asks.

How much research expertise and experience do they have to conduct such a far-reaching, complex global survey?

Nobody asks.

What was their research budget for surveying hundreds of countries' level of scientific development?

Nobody asks.

Who is funding them and why?

Nobody asks.

Oyibo has declared. So God himself has spoken. No need to question.

[size=20pt]PATHETIC.[/size]

40 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 8:53pm On Apr 10, 2013
In other words, Nigeria meets/exceeds expectations as far as scientific achievements?

Come on buddy, I know you are overly passionate about the country but you have to concede on some flaws.

We don't even need this so called study to acknowledge a glaring fact. undecided

Rossikk: What amazes me is the way people simply accept whatever these fly-by-night, mom and pop foreign organizations announce in their 'newsletters'.

Nobody asks.

Who are they?

Nobody asks.

How much research expertise and experience do they have to conduct such a far-reaching, complex global survey?

Nobody asks.

What was their research budget for surveying hundreds of countries' level of scientific development?

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

Oyibo has declared. So God himself has spoken.

24 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by redsun(m): 8:54pm On Apr 10, 2013
It is obvious they are the third world countries and they are third world because they are not scientific,therefore,not innovative and productive.Hence the bitter lack.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Rossikk(m): 9:18pm On Apr 10, 2013
nnenna.1:
In other words, Nigeria meets/exceeds expectations as far as scientific achievements?

Come on buddy, I know you are overly passionate about the country but you have to concede on some flaws.

You need to use your brain and be less agreeable to just anybody's claims on the internet.

Let me give you an example:

Nigeria manufactures cars, buses, trucks, suvs (Innoson). Manufactures complete motorcycles, including principal component parts and engines (Qinggi). Manufactures computers, tablets and accessories (Zinox). Today the world's first and only black built satellite, NigerSat 2 sits in outer space, an achievement of Nigerian scientists. The Nigerian Navy now builds seaworthy vessels from scratch, with 100% local input, like NNS Andoni, a 31m Seaward Defence Boat. The Nigerian Defence Industries builds mortars and RPG launchers, armoured personnel carriers, and manufactures their own bullet proof vests. Nigeria has three functional nuclear reactors. Nigeria manufactures and fabricates aluminium. Manufactures chemicals, including agro-chemicals. Manufactures paint. Manufactures drugs for the pharmaceutical industry. Nigeria processes solid minerals like Calcium Carbonate, Dolomite, and Limestone. I could go on and on and on..

Now, there are many countries that are NOT on that list of ''those lagging behind'', who cannot boast of 1/5 of the achievements I've just outlined.

WHY THEN SHOULD WE ACCEPT THE LIST?

When even YOU don't know what is produced in Nigeria, how will some foreign group not wake up and include Nigeria on any stupid list? They know you don't read or research. That's what gives them the audacity.

I mean, just because CNN and co choose to IGNORE all scientific strides made in Nigeria (afterall is Boko Haram not the only worthy news item?) does not mean WE in Nigeria will pretend we are standing still.

32 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 10:01pm On Apr 10, 2013
I am not talking about other countries in the list as my concerns lie with Nigeria only.

Again, with all of the things you listed taken into account, you are not answering the question. Does Nigeria meet or exceed expectations as far as scientific research, discoveries and achievements are concerned?

Rossikk:

You need to use your brain and be less agreeable to just anybody's claims on the internet.

Nigeria manufactures cars, buses, trucks, suvs (Innoson). Manufactures complete motorcycles, including principal component parts and engines (Qinggi). Manufactures computers, tablets and accessories (Zinox). Today the world's first and only black built satellite, NigerSat 2 sits in outer space, an achievement of Nigerian scientists. The Nigerian Navy now builds seaworthy vessels from scratch, with 100% local input, like NNS Andoni, a 31m Seaward Defence Boat. The Nigerian Defence Industries builds mortars and RPG launchers, armoured personnel carriers, and manufactures their own bullet proof vests. Nigeria has three functional nuclear reactors. Nigeria manufactures and fabricates aluminium. Manufactures chemicals, including agro-chemicals. Manufactures paint. Manufactures drugs for the pharmaceutical industry. Nigeria processes solid minerals like Calcium Carbonate, Dolomite, and Limestone. I could go on and on and on..

Now, there are many countries that are NOT on that list of ''those lagging behind'', who cannot boast of 1/5 of the achievements I've just outlined.

When even YOU don't know what is produced in Nigeria, how will some foreign group not wake up and include Nigeria on any stupid list? They know you don't read or research. That's what gives them the audacity.

I mean, just because CNN and co choose to IGNORE all scientific strides made in Nigeria (afterall is Boko Haram not the only worthy news item?) does not mean WE in Nigeria will pretend we are standing still.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by seyi42k(m): 10:06pm On Apr 10, 2013
Rossikk:

What are you talking about. Do you drive Innoson vehicles? How many chips did Zinox design or make and do you have a zinox computer at home? Was the satellite built in Nigeria?

Even if you are a paid government agent (like a lot of nairalanders think and I am wont to agreeing with), you should concede defeat in certain areas. Even the US secretary of state will diplomatically acknowledge some shortcomings.

Zinox Ko, Innoson ni. You should have mentioned that Nigeria has the largest number of pure water factories in the world. Now that we are assembling parts from all over the world, we are suddenly now a scientifically advanced country.

Come on, even if you are a staunch believer in this hapless government. Once in a while, don't post mediocre points as the above. However, I cannot blame you, afterall this is the Nigeria of your dreams.

22 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Rossikk(m): 10:31pm On Apr 10, 2013
seyi42k:

What are you talking about. Do you drive Innoson vehicles? How many chips did Zinox design or make and do you have a zinox computer at home? Was the satellite built in Nigeria?

Even if you are a paid government agent (like a lot of nairalanders think and I am wont to agreeing with), you should concede defeat in certain areas. Even the US secretary of state will diplomatically acknowledge some shortcomings.

Zinox Ko, Innoson ni. You should have mentioned that Nigeria has the largest number of pure water factories in the world. Now that we are assembling parts from all over the world, we are suddenly now a scientifically advanced country.

Come on, even if you are a staunch believer in this hapless government. Once in a while, don't post mediocre points as the above. However, I cannot blame you, afterall this is the Nigeria of your dreams.

What have you manufactured or designed in your entire miserable life to be dismissing the above listed achievements? Are human beings not driving Innoson vehicles, MANUFACTURED IN NIGERIA (not ''assembled'', you ignorant layabout)? Why do I have to be the one driving it in order to acknowledge it? Your mind can only think of ''pure water factories'' because you are a sick, demented, dark soul who revels in negativity. Why are you insulting Zinox computers? They are a very serious outfit:

http://www.zinoxtechnologies.com/

Innoson Motors won the prestigious African Business of the Year Award in 2012, organized by African Business Magazine and the Commonwealth Business Council in London:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/39638-innoson-group-wins-2012-african-business-of-the-year-award

The NigerSat Satellite was built by Nigerians. Have you praised them for that effort before asking if it was built in Nigeria? If they build the next one in Nigeria, will you not dismiss it by claiming it was merely ''assembled'' here? What have you personally built of note whether in or outside Nigeria? Damn negativist. Instead of you to see how you can add to the accomplishments of the above, all you know is to tear down and insult your betters.

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 10, 2013
Lie, bomb blast nobe invention

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Rossikk(m): 10:37pm On Apr 10, 2013
nnenna.1:
I am not talking about other countries in the list as my concerns lie with Nigeria only.

Again, with all of the things you listed taken into account, you are not answering the question. Does Nigeria meet or exceed expectations as far as scientific research, discoveries and achievements are concerned?

For a developing nation that's just 50 years old, I think we've EXCEEDED expectations.

Our problem is because we don't value anything that we do, we don't highlight our achievements in order to draw the necessary attention to build on them. Instead, when we achieve anything, some spiteful failures who've not accomplished anything in their own lives, come out to spit on it and try to tell us it's 'nothing'.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 10:40pm On Apr 10, 2013
Rossikk:

For a developing nation that's just 50 years old, I think we've EXCEEDED expectations.

Our problem is because we don't value anything that we do, we don't highlight our achievements in order to draw the necessary attention to build on them. Instead, when we achieve anything, some spiteful idiots who've not accomplished anything in their own lives, come out to spit on it all.

This topic is obviously very emotive for you.

Believe whatever you want to believe.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 11:45pm On Apr 10, 2013
Interesting, despite the massive chip on our shoulder, no?? undecided
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 11:47pm On Apr 10, 2013
Rossikk:

Our problem is because we don't value anything that we do, we don't highlight our achievements in order to draw the necessary attention to build on them. Instead, when we achieve anything, some spiteful failures who've not accomplished anything in their own lives, come out to spit on it and try to tell us it's 'nothing'.

Bro., can you please cite how we've exceeded expectations??

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Bryancrox(m): 11:53pm On Apr 10, 2013
Dont forget to pee b4 sleeping...Goodniqht

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:59pm On Apr 10, 2013
All these ratings irk me. They shld jes shut their fucck up!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 12:02am On Apr 11, 2013
Bullcrap

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by ikweremilitant: 12:03am On Apr 11, 2013
nnenna.1:
nd yet we re expert in bomb making,masterd d act of political science with treasury looting as a major nd blessed with stupid nd loud mouthed masses who only do the right frm dia laptops

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by rman: 12:08am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk:

We assemble the parts, we didn't manufacture all you wrote in your quote above.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Iykeponti(m): 12:17am On Apr 11, 2013
Hmmmm! 85% black nations..... make e no be say na style dis pple dey use insult black pple-oo angry
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by excondido(m): 12:18am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk:

What have you manufactured or designed in your entire miserable life to be dismissing the above listed achievements? Are human beings not driving Innoson vehicles, MANUFACTURED IN NIGERIA (not ''assembled'', you ignorant layabout)? Why do I have to be the one driving it in order to acknowledge it? Your mind can only think of ''pure water factories'' because you are a sick, demented, dark soul who revels in negativity. Why are you insulting Zinox computers? They are a very serious outfit:

http://www.zinoxtechnologies.com/

Innoson Motors won the prestigious African Business of the Year Award in 2012, organized by African Business Magazine and the Commonwealth Business Council in London:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/39638-innoson-group-wins-2012-african-business-of-the-year-award

The NigerSat Satellite was built by Nigerians. Have you praised them for that effort before asking if it was built in Nigeria? If they build the next one in Nigeria, will you not dismiss it by claiming it was merely ''assembled'' here? What have you personally built of note whether in or outside Nigeria? Damn negativist. Instead of you to see how you can add to the accomplishments of the above, all you know is to tear down and insult your betters.

obvious exaggeration to call calcite beneficiatn as a scientific achievement

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by theripper2: 12:18am On Apr 11, 2013
This shouldn't b news, I wonder hw many transmission electron microscopes and culture centres we have in Nigeria. Thank God for Oyibo education sha, person for just dey cram, cram nonsense. Even had to cram biochemical tests for over 50 organisms for an exam in Nigeria. I keep saying it,for science and Tech courses, every passionate student should strive for a foreign degree from a developed country either by scholarships or private funding. Naija dey jonz boyz really.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Kslib(m): 12:20am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk:

Bla bla bla!!!! Ask yourself "where did those so-called innoson,zinox and co acquired their expertise and exposure from,if not abroad".. I am not saying its actually bad to learn from somewhere else but how many home-grown science graduates,non-graduates have contributed to this country scientifically
I wont be surprised if innoson,zinox and the likes prefer to employ those who schooled abroad rather than home..
We all know,and you know also that we are waaay waaay behind scientifically and need enough upgrade and work to be able to catch up with this scientific age..
Lastly,all those stuffs you mentioned about our satellite,navy ship and others just made me laugh cos you and i know that all what those Nigerian scientists did was just to assemble the parts under the supervision of someone who studied abroad... I wont be surprised if all those involved in the project were those who studied abroad... Our home grown lads are intelligent but the enviroment and mentality of the society just adds to the problem...
We have a very very lloooong way to go before our technological and scientific back-bone will be gangam....

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by adconline(m): 12:26am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk: What amazes me is the way people simply accept whatever these fly-by-night, mom and pop foreign organizations announce in their 'newsletters'.

Nobody asks.

Who are they?

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

Oyibo has declared. So God himself has spoken. No need to question.

Tell us what has Naija achieved on our own not what God has declared. Had Nigeria declared to succeed in science? Why is it that most of Nigerians believed that there was a killer number from a certain GSM carrier? Most folks believe that a pastor drove a car from onitsha to Lagos without petrol? Folks believed that Obama was handing out 666 sign like candies?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by cold(m): 12:27am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk:

NO!Mr Rossikk,I admire your sense of patriotism but to say we've 'exceeded expectations'.C'mon bruv that's stretching it.We're getting there sounds more like it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Iykeponti(m): 12:30am On Apr 11, 2013
No Tunisia ,Morocco, Libya ,Algeria , nawa oo.... Wetin black pple do dis pple sef

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by rapmike(m): 12:30am On Apr 11, 2013
Orikinla: Nigeria Among 81 Countries Lagging Behind In Science

Nigeria is among the following 81 science-lagging developing countries identified by The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS).

Afghanistan
Angola
Azerbaijan
Bangladesh
Belize
Benin
Bhutan
Botswana
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cambodia
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Chad
Comoros Islands
Congo, Dem. Rep.
Congo, Rep.
Côte d'Ivoire
Djibouti
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
El Salvador
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gabon
Gambia
Ghana
Guatemala
Guinea-Bissau
Guinea
Guyana
Haiti
Honduras
Indonesia
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Korea DPR
Kyrgyzstan
Lao PDR
Lesotho
Liberia
Madagascar
Malawi
Maldives
Mali
Mauritania
Mongolia
Mozambique
Myanmar
Nepal
Nicaragua
Niger
Nigeria
Papua New Guinea
Paraguay
Peru
Rwanda
Samoa
São Tome and Principe
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Suriname
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Timor-Leste
Togo
Tuvalu
Uganda
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu
Vietnam
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe

About TWAS
TWAS is an autonomous international organization based in Trieste, Italy. Its principal aim is to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in the South.

Source: http://twas.ictp.it/common/STLC
NOT SURPRISED

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 12:32am On Apr 11, 2013
99.9% of African countries are on that list.

I'm not really surprised.

In this age and time, we're still using spinach leaves to cure cancer.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by groovie(m): 12:35am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk:

My brother all this things u listed cannot be classified as scientific development, scientific development MUST always start from the foundation which is our schools. How can u explain a student of cell biology who will never view a cell with an electron microscope? or an electronic engineering student that will never connect put a simple on board circutory together, the list is endless. That my friend is the foundation of scientific development not all these industries most of which are owned by foreign investors and run by foreign hands

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

To The Adminstrators! / 18 Reasons Your Facebook Account Got Blocked / Good Bye To N97/litre As You Can Now Run Your Generator With Gas.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.