Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,711 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries (14706 Views)

Jumia 2015 Black Fridays Sales In Nigeria Is A Scam / Positive Ideas Youths Can Use In Developing Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 3:34am On Apr 11, 2013
Godogwu:

Nigerian Institute of Medical research in Lagos and Nigerian Institute for pharmaceutical development. I hope these satisfy your requests and i dont believe a scientific research center is all that is needed to make a county more "science enthusiastic" if you may.

nnenna.1:

There is a difference between having standing institutions and inferring that those institutions produce quality work or are fully functional.

Refer to this argument:

Nigeria has several universities.

Therefore, Nigerian universities are not lagging educationally.

Is the argument reasonable?

Thas all.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by BlackEmperorX: 3:57am On Apr 11, 2013
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Godogwu: 4:17am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Thas all.

its funny how you believe for sure that Nigeria's scientific institutions are operating below par compared to all the other countries I believed should have made the list (if we had to go by that list) but didn't. I won't be over optimistic and say Nigeria is that country with a whole lot of interest in science but i just can't come to terms with what exactly this rating is based on which oh!, they don't even tell us -___-
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by stunna2(m): 4:18am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk:

You need to use your brain and be less agreeable to just anybody's claims on the internet.

Let me give you an example:

Nigeria manufactures cars, buses, trucks, suvs (Innoson). Manufactures complete motorcycles, including principal component parts and engines (Qinggi). Manufactures computers, tablets and accessories (Zinox). Today the world's first and only black built satellite, NigerSat 2 sits in outer space, an achievement of Nigerian scientists. The Nigerian Navy now builds seaworthy vessels from scratch, with 100% local input, like NNS Andoni, a 31m Seaward Defence Boat. The Nigerian Defence Industries builds mortars and RPG launchers, armoured personnel carriers, and manufactures their own bullet proof vests. Nigeria has three functional nuclear reactors. Nigeria manufactures and fabricates aluminium. Manufactures chemicals, including agro-chemicals. Manufactures paint. Manufactures drugs for the pharmaceutical industry. Nigeria processes solid minerals like Calcium Carbonate, Dolomite, and Limestone. I could go on and on and on..

Now, there are many countries that are NOT on that list of ''those lagging behind'', who cannot boast of 1/5 of the achievements I've just outlined.

WHY THEN SHOULD WE ACCEPT THE LIST?

When even YOU don't know what is produced in Nigeria, how will some foreign group not wake up and include Nigeria on any stupid list? They know you don't read or research. That's what gives them the audacity.

I mean, just because CNN and co choose to IGNORE all scientific strides made in Nigeria (afterall is Boko Haram not the only worthy news item?) does not mean WE in Nigeria will pretend we are standing still.

I'm amazed that you do seemed to have the capacity to understand issues yet, tend to want to be just a contrarian for the sake of being one most if not all of the time!

Please the list of archivements is embarrassing for a Nation of close to 200million people and insisting Naija is perfect the way it is now is carrying on the job of those drum beaters and street dancers after military coup of years past!!

They danced and beat drums because they actually sincerely believed they were on the right...as you do sincerely believe you are too!

Sincere people can and often are sincerely wrong in their view too!

No, nigeria is not pulling it's weight when it comes to science and scientific development and advancement! One single individual American can do all of those things you just listed in their backyard and not inform his neighbours about it...it's not a big deal!

Have you noticed how you jumped from issue of scitific weight of a Nation to that of business awards for a company and abusing the individual who disagreed with you??

I do however find this forms of behaviours to be rather interesting...indeed. lol
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by mollie12: 4:19am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk: What amazes me is the way people simply accept whatever these fly-by-night, mom and pop foreign organizations announce in their 'newsletters'.

What was their methodology for the research?

Nobody asks.

Who are they?

Nobody asks.

How much research expertise and experience do they have to conduct such a far-reaching, complex global survey?

Nobody asks.

What was their research budget for surveying hundreds of countries' level of scientific development?

Nobody asks.

Who is funding them and why?

Nobody asks.

Oyibo has declared. So God himself has spoken. No need to question.

[size=20pt]PATHETIC.[/size]

TWAS is an organization that supports research with grants. They sponsor scholarships, a good number of which are targeted to developing countries. Google is your friend.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 4:20am On Apr 11, 2013
Honestly if we had visionary leaders, we wouldn't have this problem. The brain is there we just lack the infrastructures to go with it.

Traditional medicine can co-exist with science. Oyibo just call them natural products. We just have to start studying the structural components of these products ourselves, write our own thesis bla bla.

And our parents also need to get over this thought that when you study sciences you have to be a doctor or engineer! Such thinking screwed me over honestly, tscheww. It doesn't create an environment for science to thrive.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Godogwu: 4:21am On Apr 11, 2013
BlackEmperorX: @OP---Good topic to discuss. This is one of the greatest mistakes Nigerians make when they don't hold their political leaders responsible for this alone. How do you expect to improve your standard of living?

Nigeria has a horribly weak foundation in Science. Nigerians got to start thinking more progressively and science and technology is the answer. Build stronger relations in the science and tech industry with nations like Sweden or Japan.

Invest in innovation. Open your mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neMCPpHUNTk

oh my God!!!!, whats with you guys and politicians....If you haven't noticed Nigeria is doing well in the banking/Business sector, the entertainment industry and so fort. I don't think we owe that to our political leaders. The private sector has a lot to offer, it just depends on the interests of the people.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Godogwu: 4:32am On Apr 11, 2013
$tunna:

I'm amazed that you do seemed to have the capacity to understand issues yet, tend to want to be just a contrarian for the sake of being one most if not all of the time!

Please the list of archivements is embarrassing for a Nation of close to 200million people and insisting Naija is perfect the way it is now is carrying on the job of those drum beaters and street dancers after military coup of years past!!

They danced and beat drums because they actually sincerely believed they were on the right...as you do sincerely believe you are too!

Sincere people can and often are sincerely wrong in their view too!

No, nigeria is not pulling it's weight when it comes to science and scientific development and advancement! One single individual American can do all of those things you just listed in their backyard and not inform his neighbours about it...it's not a big deal!

Have you noticed how you jumped from issue of scitific weight of a Nation to that of business awards for a company and abusing the individual who disagreed with you??

I do however find this forms of behaviours to be rather interesting...indeed. lol

LAWLL!!!....."One single individual American can do all of those things you just listed in their backyard and not inform his neighbours about it...it's not a big deal"

A single American can build a car like Innoson does in their backyard?
A single American can build a satellite and launch it into space in their backyard?
A single American can build computers like Zinox does in his/her backyard?

and wait thats not all, nobody cares...."it's not a big deal!" but are you even alright this guy, the people who did any of those things are the richest Americans today; Bill gates, Michael Dell and the rest.

The way some of you worship Americans though.....sigh, its pitiful.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by BlackEmperorX: 4:41am On Apr 11, 2013
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by possibilita(m): 4:44am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk: What amazes me is the way people simply accept whatever these fly-by-night, mom and pop foreign organizations announce in their 'newsletters'.

Nobody asks.

Who are they?

Nobody asks.

How much research expertise and experience do they have to conduct such a far-reaching, complex global survey?

Nobody asks.

What was their research budget for surveying hundreds of countries' level of scientific development?

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

you may be right but this is an unignorable fact that This listed countries lack modern science,imagine Nigeria as a country that is trying to improve science but the federal Govt refuse to produce the needed facilities for proper studies so if they should be on this or any list they it's of no surprise to me.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by TonySpike: 5:04am On Apr 11, 2013
I have read some good contributions here. But, I would like to give a statistics on a recent report I saw at an IEEE conference. It was shown that over 90% of published African papers on the IEEE internet domain (known as IEEExplore) are jointly contributed by Egypt and South Africa. I was shocked to see that Nigeria contributed just about 2% to such a popular Engineering domain. This shows how backward we are in research output in Africa.

As much as people like Rossikk wants to deny the fact, Nigeria is at the bottom of the research ladder in Africa in science and technology. The leaders in Africa are Egypt and South Africa. South Africa, in particular, spends some crazy amount on research annually. They have the facilities and infrastructures to make it happen. No doubt, I agree that Nigerians are exceptionally gifted intellectually but we lack the environment, materials, funds and motivation. Hence, what we lack in infrastructure, we have in brain-power.

Today, there are millions of Nigerians who have made astounding discoveries and inventions in other countries. Infact, they are so many in number, you can start by googling the academic profile of Universities around the world. Unfortunately, many of our outstanding scientists and Engineers who trained outside the country, are unable to replicate such scientific culture here. The corrupt and superstitious Nigerian system is so messed up for them to replicate such feats here. I happen to be researching in an aspect of wireless communication. Sometimes, you are required to run parallel and complex computer programs for five days non-stop. How is that possible in a country with frequent power cuts? This is just one of the many reasons why Nigeria will continue to produce graduates for other developed countries.

On a brighter note, if the Nigerian system is overhauled by a serious government (not the current one), we can match any developed country in five years. All we need is increased budgetary allocations and proper developmental framework, this is enough to bring back millions of Nigerians in diaspora to jump-start the system. I was made to know that Nigeria was a strong research-base in Africa in the 70's, and up to mid-80's. We were the one of the foremost countries in African scholarship until that man called Babangida started ejecting foreign lecturers from our universities. Since then, our university rankings have plumetted to a ridiculous and unfathomable level. Hence, we have disconnected ourselves from the usual multicultural global university standards. I rest my case...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Bawss1(m): 5:12am On Apr 11, 2013
Let someone come up with a report that Nigeria is among the leading science countries or some other favorable grouping and I bet you folks like Rossik will be all over it with endorsements, no questions of methodology of report will be raised. Here we have a report that lists Nigeria in an undesirable category and they are denouncing it as baseless...
How will anyone take you guys seriously given your unbalanced and starry-eyed bias concerning anything about Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by acenobis: 5:12am On Apr 11, 2013
Neva lyk it wen a fellow nigerian denies d obvious...

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

[size=20pt]PATHETIC.[/size][/quote]
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 5:13am On Apr 11, 2013
Tony Spike: I have read some good contributions here. But, I would like to give a statistics on a recent report I saw at an IEEE conference. It was shown that over 90% of published African papers on the IEEE internet domain (known as IEEExplore) is jointly contributed by Egypt and South Africa. I was shocked to see that Nigeria contributed just about 2% to such a popular Engineering domain. This shows how backward we are in research output in Africa.

As much as people like Rossikk wants to deny the fact, Nigeria is at the bottom of the research ladder in Africa in science and technology. The leaders in Africa are Egypt and South Africa. South Africa, in particular, spends some crazy amount on research annually. They have the facilities and infrastructures to make it happen. No doubt, I agree that Nigerians are exceptionally gifted intellectually but we lack the environment, materials, funds and motivation. Hence, what we lack in infrastructure, we have in brain-power.

Today, there are millions of Nigerians who have made astounding discoveries and inventions in other countries. Infact, they are so many in number, you can start by googling the academic profile of Universities around the world. Unfortunately, many of our outstanding scientists and Engineers who trained outside the country, are unable to replicate such scientific culture here. The corrupt and superstitious Nigerian system is so messed up for them to replicate such feats here. I happen to be researching in an aspect of wireless communication. Sometimes, you are required to run parallel and complex computer programs for five days non-stop. How is that possible in a country with frequent power cuts? This is just one of the many reasons why Nigeria will continue to produce graduates for other developed countries.

On a brighter note, if the Nigerian system is overhauled by a serious government (not the current one), we can match any developed country in five years. All we need is increased budgetary allocations and proper developmental framework, this is enough to bring back millions of Nigerians in diaspora to jump-start the system. I was made to know that Nigeria was a strong research-base in Africa in the 70's, and up to mid-80's. We were the one of the foremost countries in African scholarship until that man called Babangida started ejecting foreign lecturers from our universities. Since then, our university rankings have plumetted to a ridiculous and unfathomable level. Hence, we have disconnected ourselves from the usual multicultural global university standards. I rest my case...

Well said and succinctly put...

I have met some Nigerian professionals in computing fields out here, and I was lucky to have one as one of my tutors whilst I was in uni - and these people are brilliant and super-intelligent... So, it's obviously not the lack of brain power...

Keep it up, Tony... wink
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by TonySpike: 5:24am On Apr 11, 2013
shymexx:

Well said and succinctly put...

I have met some Nigerian professionals in computing fields out here, and I was lucky to have one as one of my tutors whilst I was in uni - and these people are brilliant and super-intelligent... So, it's obviously not the lack of brain power...

Keep it up, Tony... wink

Thanks, bro. I just keep wondering when this country will wake up and lead Africa. The whole of Africa needs Nigeria's success story. If we get it right, Africa will rise again. This is a fact.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by AZeD1(m): 5:26am On Apr 11, 2013
Godogwu: If for some reason i believed this report for one sec, I'll like to know what countries like Cuba, Barbados, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Thaliand amognst many others produce or develop that makes them "non-lagging" science countries .
Including Iran in that list means you are actually ignorant about what science and engineering.

As for Rossik, dude pls get a life.. Innoson, Zinox You should know there is a difference between science, manufacturing and assembling.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by TonySpike: 5:28am On Apr 11, 2013
A-ZeD:

Including Iran in that list means you are actually ignorant about what science and engineering.

As for Rossik, dude pls get a life.. Innoson, Zinox You should know there is a difference between science, manufacturing and assembling.

Iran is one of the leading intellectually endowed nations in the Middle-East, alongside Egypt. I've meet some Iranians and they are exceptionally gifted. Some Nigerians are simply ignorant....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 5:39am On Apr 11, 2013
A-ZeD:

They are somewhat related and can discussed in tandem.

But Nigeria is far behind even in manufacturing.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Godogwu: 5:41am On Apr 11, 2013
BlackEmperorX:

You gotta create the interest!! The private sector can only do so much especially when their is zero efforts by the FG to evolve this industry. FG has a duty to invest in a better future for its ppl especially the young. Where is the inspiration and ambition to reach the stars. America went to the moon. Why can't Nigeria

I totally get your point but I'm sure the government is doing what it can to generate interest in science thats why we still have government run research centers in Nigeria. The thing is Nigeria is basically a business driven country thats why the government and the people concentrate so much on the Business sector and that's why our business sector is flourishing. The entertainment industry is an example that we really don't need the FG to increase the standards and level of our various industry. its basically the people's interest; The government would rather sponsor an event that would promote culture, business or entertainment than that of sending a Nigerian to the moon (Frankly I don't know what exactly we want from the moon).
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Godogwu: 5:43am On Apr 11, 2013
A-ZeD:

Ignorant? please educate me... I'm yet to be convinced.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 5:44am On Apr 11, 2013
Whether or not the organisation is a credible one is a story for another day.

Its such a pity that Nigerians living in Nigeria do not know how much effort and funds go into scientific research yearly, and there are results. In 2009, a friend of mine from Princeton who read Forensic Science wouldn't come back because she thought Nigeria had no use for such courses and they had no idea what it means. There are 12 institutions in the FCT directly and indirectly involved with forensics, connected with the FBI (they still send some samples to Quantico, USA for testing). That's in the FCT. 3 of these institutions are trying, albeit slowly to build a criminal database. Yet when something goes wrong, we just come out to say yadda yadda yadda. Like every crime in other countries is solved in a week. The reason we don't find the killers in Nigeria is because we know them already; they're the Ogas at the top.

For the poster who complained about using spinach to cure cancer, please how is that wrong? What in heaven's name is wrong with y'all? Must you be a conformist? People are trying all means (natural and synthetic) to battle the monster, and you sit your pat behind and call it backwardness? Has chemo totally cured anyone? Come and tell us the success rate of your 'scientifically advanced methods'. The point is to get a cure, and STEP-B is still carrying out research with natural ingredients. Take a seat and watch them find results.

Must we build from the scratch to be acclaimed world's best at science? Some efforts are being made at innovations, and are laudable. We believe we will get there. That a student of Biology hasn't seen a cell doesn't make us hopeless, it just tells us how morally decadent our society is since money is continually allocated for these equipments, and should prompt us to help the younger generation get it right.
Plus when we see a reduction in the brain drain, things will look up.

Like Rossik said, we shouldn't swallow everything some organisation says hook, line and sinker just because.

I still believe in my country!
#God bless Nigeria..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by coolzeal(m): 5:47am On Apr 11, 2013

Nobody asks.

Who are they?

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

what do you expect when their so called Jesus is depicted as a white man and of course Mohammed an Arab man. I guarantee you, you can go to all the churches in Nigeria/Africa, the denomination does not matter and what they have is a white man as God. Anyway, we are lacking in science and that is an honest fact.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by adconline(m): 5:49am On Apr 11, 2013
groovie:

My brother all this things u listed cannot be classified as scientific development, scientific development MUST always start from the foundation which is our schools. How can u explain a student of cell biology who will never view a cell with an electron microscope? or an electronic engineering student that will never connect put a simple on board circutory together, the list is endless. That my friend is the foundation of scientific development not all these industries most of which are owned by foreign investors and run by foreign hands
Don't mind the patriotic clown. University students are still taught Fortran 77 as as course. Most EE students have not used real electronic workbench. Biology students don't have access to microscope.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by BlackEmperorX: 5:53am On Apr 11, 2013
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Symphony007: 6:23am On Apr 11, 2013

Nobody asks.

Who are they?

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

Nobody asks.

you don't need anybody telling you something that is obvious! Nigeria is lagging behind scientifically. How many science fair have you withnessed in nigeria? Or what major scientific breakthrough has been achieved here? That does'nt mean we don't have the potential, we do, i've met a ot of kids and adults who have great ideas and potential but don't have the resources to carry it out, that is why the government and private organisations have to put money into science research, build reserch institutes, so the great brains this country has can put their genius into work, and who knows, nigeria can produce the next great vaccine or technology not china, india or the u.s!
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by BlackEmperorX: 6:25am On Apr 11, 2013
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by tpia5: 6:44am On Apr 11, 2013
Orikinla:
So, what are you doing about it?
Still dancing Azonto? Duh. grin

arent you the one recruiting models and entertainers, are you now singing a different tune?
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Zinosalexander(m): 6:47am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk:

You need to use your brain and be less agreeable to just anybody's claims on the internet.

Let me give you an example:

Nigeria manufactures cars, buses, trucks, suvs (Innoson). Manufactures complete motorcycles, including principal component parts and engines (Qinggi). Manufactures computers, tablets and accessories (Zinox). Today the world's first and only black built satellite, NigerSat 2 sits in outer space, an achievement of Nigerian scientists. The Nigerian Navy now builds seaworthy vessels from scratch, with 100% local input, like NNS Andoni, a 31m Seaward Defence Boat. The Nigerian Defence Industries builds mortars and RPG launchers, armoured personnel carriers, and manufactures their own bullet proof vests. Nigeria has three functional nuclear reactors. Nigeria manufactures and fabricates aluminium. Manufactures chemicals, including agro-chemicals. Manufactures paint. Manufactures drugs for the pharmaceutical industry. Nigeria processes solid minerals like Calcium Carbonate, Dolomite, and Limestone. I could go on and on and on..

Now, there are many countries that are NOT on that list of ''those lagging behind'', who cannot boast of 1/5 of the achievements I've just outlined.

WHY THEN SHOULD WE ACCEPT THE LIST?

When even YOU don't know what is produced in Nigeria, how will some foreign group not wake up and include Nigeria on any stupid list? They know you don't read or research. That's what gives them the audacity.

I mean, just because CNN and co choose to IGNORE all scientific strides made in Nigeria (afterall is Boko Haram not the only worthy news item?) does not mean WE in Nigeria will pretend we are standing still.

i am confused. Is this guy talking about MY Nigeria? Or there is another country called Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by heywhyho(f): 6:49am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk:

What have you manufactured or designed in your entire miserable life to be dismissing the above listed achievements? Are human beings not driving Innoson vehicles, MANUFACTURED IN NIGERIA (not ''assembled'', you ignorant layabout)? Why do I have to be the one driving it in order to acknowledge it? Your mind can only think of ''pure water factories'' because you are a sick, demented, dark soul who revels in negativity. Why are you insulting Zinox computers? They are a very serious outfit:

http://www.zinoxtechnologies.com/

Innoson Motors won the prestigious African Business of the Year Award in 2012, organized by African Business Magazine and the Commonwealth Business Council in London:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/39638-innoson-group-wins-2012-african-business-of-the-year-award

The NigerSat Satellite was built by Nigerians. Have you praised them for that effort before asking if it was built in Nigeria? If they build the next one in Nigeria, will you not dismiss it by claiming it was merely ''assembled'' here? What have you personally built of note whether in or outside Nigeria? Damn negativist. Instead of you to see how you can add to the accomplishments of the above, all you know is to tear down and insult your betters.

Go to Nigerian secondary schools, and universities to confirm, there laboratories are zero, and they do more of theory in the science subjects dat ought to be applied science, and with d power situation in d country laboratory work can't progress. Nigeria is not on the list by accident.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by adconline(m): 6:57am On Apr 11, 2013
@ Rossiki,
Nigeria does not manufacture vehicles. Innoson assembles. Powertrain made by Cummins USA, Zinox does not manufacture, but assembles. In fact, Nigeria does not make KEKE NAPEP, but India; no bicyle but China; no wheel barrow but China. Are roads are built by Germans, Isrealis, Lebanese,Chinese and Arabs.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 7:01am On Apr 11, 2013
Kslib:
Bla bla bla!!!! Ask yourself "where did those so-called innoson,zinox and co acquired their expertise and exposure from,if not abroad".. I am not saying its actually bad to learn from somewhere else but how many home-grown science graduates,non-graduates have contributed to this country scientifically
I wont be surprised if innoson,zinox and the likes prefer to employ those who schooled abroad rather than home..
We all know,and you know also that we are waaay waaay behind scientifically and need enough upgrade and work to be able to catch up with this scientific age..
Lastly,all those stuffs you mentioned about our satellite,navy ship and others just made me laugh cos you and i know that all what those Nigerian scientists did was just to assemble the parts under the supervision of someone who studied abroad... I wont be surprised if all those involved in the project were those who studied abroad... Our home grown lads are intelligent but the enviroment and mentality of the society just adds to the problem...
We have a very very lloooong way to go before our technological and scientific back-bone will be gangam....
Ask china
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by engrfcuksmtin(m): 7:09am On Apr 11, 2013
Third World Academy of Science is an organization that fund research (indivudual research, group research, institutional research and so on) and they have been doing so for over 25years. There ascertations might be from the result of the quality of research they funded in these countries.
So many factors contributed to Nigerian being on the list.
1. Funding; in countries like south africa despite the availability of research materials the government pays every researcher for conducting and publishing research while in Nigeria researchers use personal fund for this purpose, this will definately affect the quality of research and papers published.
2. Research materials; let us face it our laboratories are adored with outdated research materials. for instance to conduct routine soils analysis in isreal it requires one unit of equipment which will analyze the soil in one hour, while in Nigeria if you will do same it will take up to 3days with the type equipment. at the disposal of the researcher
3. Corruption; this a general problem in our society and it is deeply woven into scientific research too. Do you know that more than half of the research conducted in Nigeria are copied work. At times when grants are received for research from organizations such as TWAS, IFS, NUFFIC, MASHAV they are diverted by the benefactors for personal use. Also the little allocated for research in Universities are being diverted by University authorities (higher instutions will definately be among the most corrupt government organization in Nigeria)
4. Research Methodology: this is also poor and outdated. for instance the current trend in soil mapping is the Computer based soil mapping, we are still using the good old method (Conventional)
5. Non-transferable research findings; how many of our so called research findings are transferable to end users. Can we itemize 100 scientific breakthroughs original to our country from 1960 till date that has contributed to national development and being used on our streets and in our home. Medical, Engineering, Agriculture, Science. IIITA have been in Nigeria for donkey years yet we are still hoping for breakthrough in Agriculture till date.
These are just some out of many reasons why Nigeria made the list. Dont ask me how I know this things cos I work in a related environment.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

To The Adminstrators! / 18 Reasons Your Facebook Account Got Blocked / Good Bye To N97/litre As You Can Now Run Your Generator With Gas.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.