Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,917 members, 7,799,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

Reducing Software Piracy Can Generate 24,000 Jobs In Africa - Bsa - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Reducing Software Piracy Can Generate 24,000 Jobs In Africa - Bsa (953 Views)

How To Generate A Word File .doc/.docx Using Php / Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward / Read And Generate Barcode In C# (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reducing Software Piracy Can Generate 24,000 Jobs In Africa - Bsa by my2cents(m): 11:25am On Apr 07, 2008
http://www.independentngonline.com/busi/laem/article01

In other news:
New banking standard makes its debut
http://www.thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=48388

For this news and others, including wacky news from around the world, updated daily, please visit:
http://www.akwaibomnewsonline.com/
Re: Reducing Software Piracy Can Generate 24,000 Jobs In Africa - Bsa by Kobojunkie: 2:36pm On Apr 07, 2008
I whole heartedly agree. Software piracy is a real problem in Africa today and it limits IT development tremendously in that continent. I sincerely believe the number of jobs could be in the millions if the problem was curbed. Piracy from potential programmers getting dumps from others to companies pirating software, to employees selling apps implemented for one company to another,  etc,  the problem seriously limits progress.
Re: Reducing Software Piracy Can Generate 24,000 Jobs In Africa - Bsa by tomX1(m): 7:30am On Apr 08, 2008
Yeah, Piracy is an industry killer. It drains the resources of the software developers and realy kills initiative. For many years I could not see any future for computer programmers in Nigeria because I felt why bother spending so much time developing a software only to see it on sale for #150.00 (one hundred and fifty naira) by hawkers in computer village.
But the ugly truth is that it is the same piracy that led to the current IT explossion in Nigeria. I think we would much fewer programmers, web-developers, animators, etc in Nigeria if one had to pay some #50k or thereabout for Visual Studio.Net, then pay similar sum for your Microsoft office, auto cad, studio max, etc. The ability to readily get the software you need has removed a lot of hurdle from poor aspiring Nigerian (African) programmers who would ordinarily have had to put there ambitions/aspirations on a shelf to gather dust while they try to source for non existing funds to buy softwares.

The piracy issue also brings out the ingenuity of the programmer. I've had to find ways of progamaticaly protecting the softwares I built against unlicensed installations and multiple installations. I'm currently working with a friend to help create dongles which will serve as hardware locks for our softwares. It might not be fool proof but I think the kind of crackers that can break the security will not be intrested in a small african start-up, not when they could be flexing their muscle against industry giants like microsoft and adobe.

While I look forward to a world free of piracy of any kind, I also hail all the pirates across the world through who's efforts I've been able to get softwares that brought me to my present level as a programmer.
Long live pirates of the Niger!
Long live pirates of the World!

(1) (Reply)

Java Beginner / Social Im Sites That Can Connect You To Facebook / The World Bank Competition - Apps For Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.