Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,620 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. (3081 Views)

Writing Challenge: Write A Short Story In 100 Words / Write Your Life Story In 6 Words / Your Best Genre In Literature: Prose, Drama, Poetry, Short-story, Etc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Hydronium(m): 7:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
Hello dear nairalanders, as the title implies, this article is mainly to enlighten on the art of prose writing which happily can be absorbed in no time, as with most things in the realm of knowledge grin. i wish you the best in your strife for excellence smiley

Introduction to prose writing
Prose writing is a branch of creative writing that spans through the aspect of flash fiction, short story (for children and adults), novella and novels. Creative writing is a process of writing or developing a story from a given material which could come either from the imagination of the mind or from a given source.

Short story writing
What is short story? A short story is work of “fiction or imagination” that is usually written in “easily understandable grammatical structure” with “natural flow of speech”. A short story is meant to be read at a single sitting and therefore it should be as direct and brief as possible. Because of directness and brevity, a typical short story has very little action and hardly any character development. However it must provide a snapshot of life – typically a decisive moment that may lead result lethal to the character in one or other form.
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Hydronium(m): 7:34pm On Apr 12, 2013
Elements of a short story
The major elements of a short story are as follows:
- Character in Short Stories. A character is someone or something that takes part in actions depicted in the short story.
- Setting (brief but poetic and vivid)
- Plot (as simple and interesting as possible)
- Conflict (intense but one)
- Theme

How to get started
- Read, Read, Read a lot!
- Look out the window; the whole world is a story, and every moment is a miracle.
- Write on a regular, daily basis. Sit down and compose sentences for a couple of hours every day — even if you don’t feel like it.
- Keep tabs on the world about you with the aid of notebooks. Notebooks are “incubators,” a place to begin with overheard conversation, expressive phrases, images, ideas, and interpretations on the world around you.
- Collect stories from everyone you meet.
- Keep the amazing, the unusual, the strange, and the irrational stories you hear and use them for your own purposes.
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Hydronium(m): 7:37pm On Apr 12, 2013
Some useful handy tips
- Nothing can help you “learn” how to write a good, short story better than reading good short stories. Notice the style and how they have used the small amount of words to their advantage. Choose authors that you enjoy; choose some of the “classics,” as examples and if you can, find some well-known authors. Pay attention to how the authors develop their characters, write dialogue, and structure their plots.
- Collect ideas for your story. Inspiration can strike at any time, so carry a notepad with you wherever you go so that you can write down story ideas as they come to you.
- Use few characters and stick to one point of view.
- Limit the time frame as much as possible.
- Write a Catchy First Paragraph.
- Be selective. As with poetry, the short story requires discipline and editing. Every line should either build character or advance the action.
- However much you experiment with form, something has to happen in the story (or at least the reader has to feel as though something has happened). Things like conflict and resolution achieve this effect.
- As with any type of writing, the beginning and the end are the most important parts. Make sure your first and last lines are the strongest in the story.
- The first sentence of your short story should catch your reader’s attention with the unusual, the unexpected, an action, or a conflict.
- Begin with tension and immediacy. Remember that short stories need to start close to their end.
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Hydronium(m): 7:39pm On Apr 12, 2013
Conclusion
- You don't have to write your short story in order. If you have an idea for a great conclusion, write it down.
- Don’t tell, but show.
- Give your book to trusted friends and relatives and let them know you want their true reviews which you must be sure to consider.
- Encourage yourself a lot
- And after all’s been said (written!) and done, have a shot at publishing.
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Mobsync(m): 12:08am On Apr 13, 2013
Thanks for this, bookmarks for future reference.
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by luvmijeje(f): 4:10am On Apr 13, 2013
Op thanks.
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Hydronium(m): 5:28am On Apr 13, 2013
Mobsync: Thanks for this, bookmarks for future reference.
you are most welcome, amigo.
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Hydronium(m): 5:29am On Apr 13, 2013
luvmijeje: Op thanks.
you're welcome ma'am
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by An0nimus: 3:16pm On Apr 13, 2013
Short and concise. Thanks OPsmiley
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by princesa(f): 2:36pm On Apr 14, 2013
just in the nick of time, i was thinking of suggesting to one of our gifted writers here to open a 'writing class' thread here so as to enlighten us wanna be's

you tried no doubt, but pls extend the knowledge to other fields of prose writing if you can, let it be like a class with materials, internet links, examination grin and all to aid we the readers.

anyway kudos to you!
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Hydronium(m): 6:19pm On Apr 14, 2013
An0nimus: Short and concise. Thanks OPsmiley
you're welcome brov
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Hydronium(m): 7:01pm On Apr 14, 2013
princesa: just in the nick of time, i was thinking of suggesting to one of our gifted writers here to open a 'writing class' thread here so as to enlighten us wanna be's

you tried no doubt, but pls extend the knowledge to other fields of prose writing if you can, let it be like a class with materials, internet links, examination grin and all to aid we the readers.

anyway kudos to you!
The pleasure's all mine.
But, if i may ask, what other branch of prose writing might you be interested in?
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by princesa(f): 9:58pm On Apr 14, 2013
how about writing a full fledged novel, how do we go about it considering the fact that you dwelt on short stories only
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Hydronium(m): 11:23pm On Apr 14, 2013
princesa: how about writing a full fledged novel, how do we go about it considering the fact that you dwelt on short stories only
Okies. I'll give that a thought. It'll take some time though...
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Hydronium(m): 11:33pm On Apr 14, 2013
Hydronium:
Okies. I'll give that a thought. It'll take some time though...
but while at it, why not try your hands on a couple short stories? Amazingly, most, perhaps all (in my humble opinion) novels develop from short stories.
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by princesa(f): 3:22pm On Apr 15, 2013
that bit is true, am gonna stop lazying about and write me a story, the storyline is there but the zeal is lacking

don't forget about me request ok?
Re: Introduction To Prose Writing: How To Write A Short Story In No Time. by Hydronium(m): 7:45pm On Apr 15, 2013
princesa: that bit is true, am gonna stop lazying about and write me a story, the storyline is there but the zeal is lacking

don't forget about me request ok?
That's the true Spirit! I wish you the best. As for your request, I got you.
Yours till Niagara falls. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Poem: Two Women / Touching Story Of A Young Girl (must Read) / Nairaland Greatest Writer (In My Opinion) 2013 Award. (mazi Omenuko Vs Zubby)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.