Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,487 members, 7,770,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:04 AM

Car Overheats In Traffic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Overheats In Traffic (8333 Views)

Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! / My Golf 3 Overheats I Have Tried All I Could With Mechanics Please Help! / Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Overheats In Traffic by stagger: 11:07pm On Apr 12, 2013
My car's temperature starts to rise dangerously when I am in traffic. Thermostat in intact, and radiator carries the coolant mixture it came with from the US. How do I get this 2003 Montero Sport to stop this crazy action? I have no plans of tampering with the thermostat but then this is an issue that needs to be solved. It is as if the fan trips off when the car is idling.

Solutions are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by Nobody: 11:08am On Apr 13, 2013
Stagger, does the electric fan cut in when driving slowly, in congested traffic conditions, or when stationary? When you state "dangerously high", what temperature range are you referring to?
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by stagger: 12:20pm On Apr 13, 2013
Hi Siena,

The electric fan cuts when in stationary traffic and in seriously congested traffic conditions. Then the temperature starts to shoot up above the midpoint mark (which is the normal mark when the car is in motion and all is well). Two days ago, the temperature almost got to the maximum limit. It had already crossed the threshold mark. I had to keep switching off the engine, start it when we move a little, then switch off the engine. I kept doing that for close to 30 mins. There was no where to park and let the engine cool so you can imagine my dread.
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 13, 2013
The thermostat is actually a service item, though many don't know. I replace all mine once every year. They can either fail open (engine over cools, especially at constant speed) or fail closed (coolant flow will stop, causing hot running).

Since the fan is cutting in, it would suggest there's coolant flow, but I wouldn't rule out a bad thermostat. I would replace it regardless, as it should be done every 12,000 miles, then take things from there.

Has any work been done on the cooling system of recent?
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by stagger: 1:39pm On Apr 13, 2013
No work has been done on the cooling system apart from changing the relay that controls the A/c fan. Otherwise, the temperature is always normal until when I get into congested traffic. Then the drama starts.

The thermostat of the vehicle has never been replaced and the mileage is about 114,300 miles, so I will change the thermostat and watch it from there. Thanks for the advice.
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by sultaan(m): 4:28pm On Apr 13, 2013
Try washing the radiator fins first, if its dirty it will not be efficient in heat transfer
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by biggiyke(m): 7:58pm On Apr 13, 2013
@siena, i have a question. i understand the function of a thermostat in engine-driven fans. but hw about in modern electric fans? from my understanding, the ECT sensor monitors the coolant temp and tells the fan when to run or stop. the coolant flow from the radiator to the engine and back is ALWAYS open. cooling is strictly determined by the ECT & not a thermostat.

so how come everybody keeps referring to thermostats in all types of cars?
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by stagger: 8:25pm On Apr 13, 2013
sultaan: Try washing the radiator fins first, if its dirty it will not be efficient in heat transfer

If this was the issue, wouldn't the car be overheating continuosly? Like today, I was not in congested traffixc and I had no problems with this.

I would like to know the answer to bigiyke's question because I am aware that the ECT.
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by Nobody: 8:30pm On Apr 13, 2013
biggiyke: @siena, i have a question. i understand the function of a thermostat in engine-driven fans. but hw about in modern electric fans? from my understanding, the ECT sensor monitors the coolant temp and tells the fan when to run or stop. the coolant flow from the radiator to the engine and back is ALWAYS open. cooling is strictly determined by the ECT & not a thermostat.

so how come everybody keeps referring to thermostats in all types of cars?

Because a thermostat is still fitted to an engine, regardless of the fact is has an electric fan.

The coolant flow is NOT always open, as you state it. You're confusing two things - a thermostat which controls flow, and a thermo switch / CTS which makes or breaks an electric circuit to an electric cooling fan.

1 Like

Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by biggiyke(m): 8:48pm On Apr 13, 2013
here's how i see both technologies:
for the engine driven, the fan rotates as long as engine is running. to enable the engine reach optimal temp from a cold start, the thermostat remains closed. in this instance, the coolant is prevented from reaching the engine. when engine reaches optimal temp, thermo opens to allow coolant to circulate around engine to cool.

however, for the electric fan, the fan does not start when engine is started. the "uncooled" coolant circulates from radiator to engine and back while the CTS monitors engine temp until optimal temp is attained; the fans switch on thereby "cooling" the already circulating coolant.

at no point are both technologies mixed up. i have personally tried locating the thermostat in my 2007 Accord, until i sold it, i couldnt. now, im searching for the thermostat in my 2008 fx35, no luck yet. these car are both electric fan cooled.

i stand corrected and willing to learn, always....

Siena:

Because a thermostat is still fitted to an engine, regardless of the fact is has an electric fan.

The coolant flow is NOT always open, as you state it. You're confusing two things - a thermostat which controls flow, and a thermo switch / CTS which makes or breaks an electric circuit to an electric cooling fan.
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 13, 2013
biggiyke: here's how i see both technologies:
for the engine driven, the fan rotates as long as engine is running. to enable the engine reach optimal temp from a cold start, the thermostat remains closed.

Not correct.

A mechanical fan may appear to rotate as soon as a cold engine is fired up. The blades are not linked solidly to the rotating hub. There's a viscous clutch. This contains viscous fluid, which only becomes solid when heated. The rotating fan on a cold engine is simply freewheeling, not rotating enough to provide any cooling effect. You can actually stop this fan with your fingers when it's cold, though not advised.

biggiyke: at no point are both technologies mixed up. i have personally tried locating the thermostat in my 2007 Accord, until i sold it, i couldnt. now, im searching for the thermostat in my 2008 fx35, no luck yet. these car are both electric fan cooled.

Both the vehicles you've mentioned have thermostats. The advent of electric fans did not do away with a stat. My Audi A4 1,8T Quattro B6 has an electric thermostat, with a solenoid activating a valve. But it still a thermostat.
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by stagger: 9:40pm On Apr 13, 2013
Anyway Siena,

Your advice for me is to change the thermostat right? Anything about that I should look out for?
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 13, 2013
stagger: Anyway Siena,

Your advice for me is to change the thermostat right? Anything about that I should look out for?

Yes. Get a replacement. And as Sultaan said, getting the radiator matrix hosed down to remove road debris won't hurt.
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by autofreak2020(m): 8:50am On Apr 15, 2013
What makes the difference between sienna,trac and others in car talk in Nairaland is that both sienna and trac are automotive proffessionals, while others on this forum are nothing but ordinary or curious car enthusiasts.
Sienna and trac are my mentor and as an undergraduate of mechanical engineering, i do not only their pratical automotive skills but wanna be like them.
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by Ikenna351(m): 10:30am On Apr 15, 2013
stagger:

If this was the issue, wouldn't the car be overheating continuosly? Like today, I was not in congested traffixc and I had no problems with this.

I would like to know the answer to bigiyke's question because I am aware that the ECT.

I wouldnt ignore the Sultaan's suggestion, if I were you. In manual troubleshooting, you dont rule out any possible cause of an issue until tested.

Sometime in February this year, a Nairalander brought his Nissan Pathfinder to troubleshoot an overheating issue, exactly what is doing: would overheat when the car was stationary, but would stop as soon as the car started moving. I checked the viscous fan, it was cutting in normal. So the viscous clutch/coupling was ruled out. And with the way the viscous fan was doing, it showed that the thermostat was ok. But because the engine was already hot, i told him he has to take the car home since it was getting late. I like troubleshooting an overheating car when the engine/cooling system is still cold. But i showed him how to test for the proper working of thermostat when engine is cold and i also asked him to clean the viscous fan clutch, since if its full with dirt, it will not be sensing heat from the radiator and would declutch when it should. He took my advice and drove home.

The next morning, i got a call from him. He told me the issue has been resolved. How?, I asked him. He said he decided to first wash the radiator fins first before carrying out other test, which didnt occur to me that it could also be cause to such overheating issue. He tested it after washing the radiator fins and the car was no longer overheating. Myself, i learnt from it and i was so happy too that he could fix his car himself, which his mechanic was already advicing that he lock the fan clutch to the engine (bad practice).

While manually troubleshooting cars, i do start from possible cause(s) that wont cost me a kobo or cost me less. Thats how i eliminate.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by stagger: 11:27am On Apr 15, 2013
Hmm,

I think I will wash the radiator fins and then report back here with the outcome. Thanks to all who have responded with ideas.
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by jayriginal: 3:53pm On Nov 11, 2013
stagger: Hmm,

I think I will wash the radiator fins and then report back here with the outcome. Thanks to all who have responded with ideas.

So how did it go?

Were you able to resolve the issue and if so, what was the solution?
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by voraz(m): 6:31pm On Nov 15, 2018
Hello Stagger, I'm not sure if you still receive notifications related to this thread, but if you do, I'd like to ask something of you.

Lately, I've been going over archaic threads relating to Freelancing and your moniker popped up a lot with useful info.

I don't think elaborating on my issues would do either of us any good, nevertheless please know that I really would like to hear from you.

If you do need to reach me, I've sent a pm to you a few days back..... From a n u oluwa p o a dele ke 70 @ g m ail dot com

Expectant!
Re: Car Overheats In Traffic by supercold: 1:55pm On May 07, 2020
stagger
'm presently building a team of writers and would like to recruit at least 4 of them. My previous 2 writers are now in paid employment and have moved on after 30 months of great output from them. They no longer have the time to write.
I hope I can get good replacements so we can move to the next level as well. As usual, send a mail to dankrabb at gmail dot com with subject "New work". You will perform the same test I have administered over the years.
Please and please...if you are not a serious minded person and unwilling to learn (yes, the work we do has a format to it which I will teach as we move on), do not bother. Any message I receive which starts by demanding how much with no previous portfolio for me to assess your valuation with will not be answered. Money answers to value input. Pay range starts from 4K per 1500 words with no maximum cap. Some work is more detailed and yes...I have paid out 20,000 per article before. It all depends on what is required. If you are good enough for the high profile jobs, then you are good enough for high profile pay.
cc Stagger
I can't comment in the business section where you made this post. Please I want to know if you still hire writers, so that I can send a mail. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers / Toyota Camry Is Showing ABS And BRAKE On The Dashboard At The Same Time / Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.