Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts (9127 Views)

Many Nigerian Actors Live On Past Glory—ramsey Nouah / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses / Most Handsome Nigerian Actors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by Orikinla(m): 1:48pm On Apr 13, 2013
Do you know that Nollywood actors (including the actresses) are among the lowest paid in the global film market?
But Nollywood makes over $590 million annually.

Nollywood, the Money Making Machine Paying the Actors Peanuts

Nollywood makes $590 million every year and it has made Jason Njoku, a 32-year-old chemistry graduate a multimillionaire in USD, got him on Forbes Top 10 Young African Millionaires to watch, Africa's largest distributor of Nigerian movies and has made over $12 million since he launched his Iroko Partners the company operating his Iroko TV on the internet.. And Nollywood has created over 1 million jobs so far, making it the largest employer after agriculture in Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa with an estimated population of 170 million people.

“Njoku currently has 71 employees in Lagos, London and New York, and often boasts that these people are working for us in a country with 50% unemployment according Rebecca Moudio’s report published by AllAfrica.com on April 11, 2013. But in spite of these exciting and thrilling success stories of Jason Njoku and others making millions of dollars from this money making machine, majority of the actors are only earning peanuts.

“Even the most popular get paid between $1,000 and $3,000 per film. Only a few can claim higher earnings. Actress Omotola Jalade Ekeinde, one of Nollywood's highest-paid performers, recently topped the charts at 5 million naira ($32,000) per film, “reported Moudio.

Pirates are the biggest earners in Nollywood.

“The World Bank estimates that for every legitimate copy sold, nine others are pirated.” Read the full report of Rebecca Moudio on http://allafrica.com/stories/201304121124.html?viewall=1

Recommended:President Jonathan and Governor Fashola Have Done A Lot for Nollywood
http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2013/04/president-jonathan-and-governor-fashola.html

Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by VillageBoi(m): 6:36pm On Apr 13, 2013
Orikinla: Do you know that Nollywood actors (including the actresses) are among the lowest paid in the global film market?
But Nollywood makes over $590 million annually.

First of all it's totally pointless to compare.

Say Nollywood makes only 590 films a year are you telling me each film makes a a MILLION dollars? No Nollywood film has made a milla EVER! So the actors should be paid 'GLOBAL' A-lister $10M fees?

Even the article link that is quoting 50 films a week. That quote has been going around since the heydays of Nollywood. For where anybody dey make 50 films a week NOW? Where are they? Who here dey hear of 50 'brand new' film titles a week? - even a month sef lol.
Ok let's even make the 'average' worse (according to the link figures). Simplify it - 50 films by 50 weeks = 2500 films... and they share $590M = on average $236,000 per film - So how much you wan pay ya 'C'- list lead?

Even that $590M is a figure from where? Out of a chicken's a$$? Even the PIRATES are not making that. Simple and short it's utter bollox!

1 Like

Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by Orikinla(m): 8:51pm On Apr 13, 2013
VillageBoi:

First of all it's totally pointless to compare.

Say Nollywood makes only 590 films a year are you telling me each film makes a a MILLION dollars? No Nollywood film has made a milla EVER! So the actors should be paid 'GLOBAL' A-lister $10M fees?

Even the article link that is quoting 50 films a week. That quote has been going around since the heydays of Nollywood. For where anybody dey make 50 films a week NOW? Where are they? Who here dey hear of 50 'brand new' film titles a week? - even a month sef lol.
Ok let's even make the 'average' worse (according to the link figures). Simplify it - 50 films by 50 weeks = 2500 films... and they share $590M = on average $236,000 per film - So how much you wan pay ya 'C'- list lead?

Even that $590M is a figure from where? Out of a chicken's a$$? Even the PIRATES are not making that. Simple and short it's utter bollox!

The World Bank cannot be wrong.
Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by VillageBoi(m): 9:21pm On Apr 13, 2013
Orikinla:

Hahahahah World Bank! Seriously? Forget the bollox one might find in its charter, it has ONE interest and that is the interest of the West; primarily USA via Washington where the HQ is situated. Has there EVER ever been a non American President of the WB? NO!!

I beg make we forget story with those money-grabbing liars!

You think they have written jack for our own benefit? Of course not. Their mission is to bend you over and shaft your backside for the benefit of the Yanks joor!

Let me say this, the US is looking for a way into 'Nollywood', if they come in then 'Nollywood' and Nigerian filmmaking is fvcked. Fake 'World Bandit' figures like this is what gives the US the audacity to say "Oh boy, we dey bring investment come" just like they did to almost every other film industry when the 'others' were busy fighting the World wars. In plain English it translates as "Let's chop our Nigerian mugus, afterall they have 419'd people before, so for every one film of theirs we get hand in their cinemas must show 1000 of ours."

Trust the Yanks when it comes to cinema? Fvck no!

Enjoy the 'article' here - http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/art-a-life/37901-us-to-invest-in-nollywood
Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by VillageBoi(m): 9:24pm On Apr 13, 2013
So again, let ANY Nigerian anywhere come and show their own 'factual' figures and tell us the names of the 50 brand new films that come out EVERY week!
Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by VillageBoi(m): 9:36pm On Apr 13, 2013
Take note of paragraph 4 of the article I posted - 'They want to create jobs for AMERICANS in Africa'. And... (paragraph 2) why does US parliament need to pass 'bills' that will make it easier for Hollywood to invest in Nollywood.

I'll tell you why - because the document we sign will have two-thirds of it written in 'super-small' print that we won't read and that is where we sign away all our rights, even rights wey we no get sef we go join put lolol. Egunje sweet us nah!
Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by engrtee(f): 9:45pm On Apr 13, 2013
Do you know what it cost to produce a movie, ? Renting various venue, custume, camera etc
Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by VillageBoi(m): 9:57pm On Apr 13, 2013
engrtee: Do you know what it cost to produce a movie, ? Renting various venue, custume, camera etc

Sorry, who is the question directed at? And in producing the movie 'actors' fees are included.
Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by Originalsly: 5:38am On Apr 14, 2013
Orikinla:

Hmmm.... you drank the cool aid.
Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by Originalsly: 6:58am On Apr 14, 2013
@Villageboi...like your breakdown..each movie on average generates $1M ...hmm...can you imagine that?...I can't.
Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by VillageBoi(m): 10:27am On Apr 14, 2013
Originalsly: @Villageboi...like your breakdown..each movie on average generates $1M ...hmm...can you imagine that?...I can't.

One day a Naija movie will def break the $1M barrier!
Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by VillageBoi(m): 11:33am On Apr 14, 2013
Another article puts the figure at 1000 movies a year; which is roughly 20 a week - http://www.indianapolisrecorder.com/aroundtown/article_3edfaac0-9d5e-11e2-8198-001a4bcf887a.html

And a 2009 article gave us the 'bragging rights' of being the 2nd most prolific film producing country with a figure of 872 films made - http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=30707#.UWqGAIJAvdI

The thing is I don't think anyone really knows what the yearly 'average' is - we don't exactly keep 'records' of anything. Even our population figure na guestimation. We could easily be over 200 million.

Back in the days we were making a lot of films but NOW I personally don't think we are making that many films. But after all is said and done 'quantity' means nothing.
Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by Orikinla(m): 2:33pm On May 05, 2013
VillageBoi: Another article puts the figure at 1000 movies a year; which is roughly 20 a week - http://www.indianapolisrecorder.com/aroundtown/article_3edfaac0-9d5e-11e2-8198-001a4bcf887a.html

And a 2009 article gave us the 'bragging rights' of being the 2nd most prolific film producing country with a figure of 872 films made - http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=30707#.UWqGAIJAvdI

The thing is I don't think anyone really knows what the yearly 'average' is - we don't exactly keep 'records' of anything. Even our population figure na guestimation. We could easily be over 200 million.

Back in the days we were making a lot of films but NOW I personally don't think we are making that many films. But after all is said and done 'quantity' means nothing.

May be you know more than I do about the figures.
Re: Nollywood, The Money Making Machine Paying Actors Peanuts by VillageBoi(m): 3:11pm On May 05, 2013
Orikinla:
May be you know more than I do about the figures.

No, not at all bro. I don't think anyone REALLY knows the figures. We're already known for not keeping 'records' (Didn't our beloved NTA dub over all the originals of anything good ever shot? Sadly we don't keep jack)

I did mention before -
VillageBoi:
So again, let ANY Nigerian anywhere come and show their own 'factual' figures and tell us the names of the 50 brand new films that come out EVERY week!

I have no idea what number of films Nigeria 'actually' makes each year but TODAY I pretty doubt we make 2500... that is a massive, massive figure! Yet for the past 4 or 5 years we only see less than 10 films that just manage to be half decent. Nigeria shouldn't even bother making more than 20 films a year.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

100 Naira Note Used In Series "MONEY HEIST" / Where Is Baba Suwe Now? / 7 Ways To Cut Down On Your Dstv Subscription

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.