Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,588 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency (7099 Views)

Patience Jonathan’s Look At Alamieyeseigha's Service Of Song (Pictured) / Update On Diepreye Alamieyeseigha’s Death / I ‘ve No Regrets Losing To Buhari – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by Nobody: 6:32am On Apr 14, 2013
No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon -- Jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan on Saturday said he had no regret over the state pardon he recently granted his political benefactor, former governor Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, despite the public outcry that trailed the exercise.

Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, made the President's position known while featuring on a Radio Nigeria programme, Business Hour, monitored by our correspondent in Abuja.

Abati restated the Presidency's position that the gesture granted the former governor, who was convicted of corruption, was in order as the process leading to the pardon conformed with the provisions of the nation's constitution.

He said, "The President does not regret what he has done because it is clearly within the powers of the President of Nigeria to grant pardon within the purview of Section 175 of the constitution.

"What has been done from the point of view of law is in order. But people say that they are not talking about the law, they are talking about morality.

"On that issue, I have said it before that pardon is given to persons who have been convicted. So when a man commits an offence, he goes through the legal process and he is convicted, then he is pardoned later.

"There is nowhere you grant pardon that it has not generated some level of controversy. The is always some kind of political drama around. So our own experience has not been exceptional."

While featuring on a Channels Television programme, Sunrise, earlier in the day, Abati also said despite the criticism trailing the appointment of a former speaker of the House of Representatives, Salisu Buhari,  on the governing board of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, the former lawmaker like every other Nigerian, was fit for the job.

He said although it was true that Buhari was removed from office for forgery and perjury, the former speaker apologised to his colleagues on the floor of the House and he had since been granted pardon by the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

He said rather than for Nigerians to be criticising the President on the matter, Jonathan should be seen as "a good man" because he did not act arbitrarily.

He said, "The criticism about the appointment of governing boards for federal universities has centred on just one person, Buhari, out of about 251 people.

"People are saying that he was convicted for forgery and perjury under the Obasanjo's administration. If you recall after that conviction, he not only apologised on the floor of the House, the administration at the time subsequently granted him pardon.

"Pardon means you can no longer be punished for whatever offence you have committed. It means that your rights have been restored and you can again legitimately act for the society. The pardon says you can't be shut out of the society.

"If you have opportunity again to serve your country, of course, you can be asked to be part of the process."

Abati however said as a listening government, the administration was ready to rescind its decision on any of the appointees if genuine protest was received from either the Academic Staff Union of Universities or from the concerned university.

The presidential spokesman also faulted claims that only members of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party were appointed into the governing boards of the federal universities, citing the likes of Gen. Adeyinka Adebayo (retd.), Prof. Rasheed Ojikutu,  Mr. Tony Onyema, Mr. Gbenga Adefaye and others who he said were not known to be PDP members.

On government's position on the removal of fuel subsidy, Abati said Jonathan had never been specific on the time full deregulation would take place.

He said it was important for Nigerians to note that there is provision for subsidy in the 2013 budget.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/i-dont-regret-pardoning-alamieyeseigha-jonathan/
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by UCyril: 6:49am On Apr 14, 2013
GEJ carry go!!!

2 Likes

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by Akshow: 7:34am On Apr 14, 2013
Drunken Otutueke baboon. Twa! Shame on you!

6 Likes

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by Burger01(m): 7:41am On Apr 14, 2013
Jonathan has always been Alam's buddy and apron. Like it or not, Jonathan would not rescind his state pardon on Alams...

sad
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by Everfrank(m): 8:56am On Apr 14, 2013
Pardon or no pardon this man remains a criminal to the rest of us. Nobody will ever trust him again. He is being rewarded for his sponsorship of militants and for spearheading the rigging into office of GEJ.

3 Likes

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 14, 2013
Everfrank: Pardon or no pardon this man remains a criminal to the rest of us. Nobody will ever trust him again. He is being rewarded for his sponsorship of militants and for spearheading the rigging into office of GEJ.

A professional criminal!
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by ayswags2: 11:34am On Apr 14, 2013
Can someone tell this useless dog called abati to just shut the toilet he calls mouth for once.
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by Abok1(m): 11:37am On Apr 14, 2013
the president needs to recognise the importance of perception in governance. If the people considers you as being in support of corruption, the president should not make decisions that justifies the people's perception. The painful bit is the attitude of "I owe no man an explanation", which to me makes him look like someone who has misplaced priorities. The truth is that he swore to defend this people, and they have every right to question his decisions. The president needs to be educated on the issue of diplomacy and carrying the people along when making important decisions.

I believe if he feels he's too big to be accountable to the masses, he should stay in Aso rock and not bother to come out to campaign for votes in the upcoming elections.

15 Likes

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by realchuks(m): 11:40am On Apr 14, 2013
He is not the first , even awo was granted pardon by ikemba oju

2 Likes

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by yhemzy(m): 11:42am On Apr 14, 2013
ayswags2: Can someone tell this useless dog called abati to just shut the toilet he calls mouth for once.
. When I remember my 1st one on one encouter with Dr. Reuben Abati compared to a totally different& disappointing person I can't but keep on crying. How time flies.Dr Reuben Abati always remember dat false may rule for a thousand year but truth will always suffice one day.A word they say is enough for the wise.
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by hubreality(m): 11:45am On Apr 14, 2013
Well said, Mr Abati...Don't mind those crooks/hypocrites who were soliciting for amnesty for killers and enemies of the country in the north, but will criticize the presidential pardon to Alams while seeking amnesty for their boko boys. GEJ carry go!
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by aminho(m): 11:47am On Apr 14, 2013
Hmm

1 Like

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by tjskii(f): 11:49am On Apr 14, 2013
The govt dosnt need to justify its actions to we d citizens,they ave made it more than abundantly clear,that our opinions do not count,so they shud continue doing watever they bloody please angry angry

1 Like

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by KingSadeeq(m): 11:51am On Apr 14, 2013
I wont be surprised if Mr. Alams is given a political apointment soon, because Abati seems to be justifyin the apointment of Salisu Buhari. Na today¿??. if its nt about morality why did the former house of reps member apologized to his colleages?
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by mmmustapha(m): 11:53am On Apr 14, 2013
Is nt a big deal, criminal pardon his fellow criminal

1 Like

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by ewet: 11:57am On Apr 14, 2013
Mr. abati you are begging the question.Nobody is saying the president does not have the right to pardon any1.Mr.Abati as bad as this pardon issue taste in the mouth.You do not need to still come and be rubbing salt on our injury.no matter all your effort in trying to justify this matter,nigerians will not accept the rape on our moral values as a nation.
We are not asking him to rescind his decision but i tell you GEJ has really gaffed on this one and this portrays him as a purveyor of corruption. sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by ddeola: 12:08pm On Apr 14, 2013
Abegi...let d looting continue but please take note that no looter will go scot-free.Some of you have made Sanni Abacha a hero because you are worse. Shameless elements !
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by ewet: 12:10pm On Apr 14, 2013
And on Salisu buhari.Why put him in the governing council of an ivory tower.This is some1 who deceived all of us by brandishing fake educational qualifications.How will the students in this institutions view this man.We are all trying so add to try to dissuade young people from examination malpractices and here you are putting a celebrated cheat to govern a school of higher learning.What manner of transformation are you preaching Mr.GEJ.

He wuld have bin more useful if the govt endorsed him to be an anti corruption ambassador goin abt telling people hw not to be corrupt using his experiences as an example.The govt can then pay for his services.Lokk at the case of Marion Jones,Ben johnson and even more recently Lance Armstrong.Thy are all anti doping ambassadors now goin abt preaching to people how to be upright and not partake in vices of any kind tht will affect there integrity.

4 Likes

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by afosahid: 12:12pm On Apr 14, 2013
hubreality: Well said, Mr Abati...Don't mind those crooks/hypocrites who were soliciting for amnesty for killers and enemies of the country in the north, but will criticize the presidential pardon to Alams while seeking amnesty for their boko boys. GEJ carry go!
U seem like someone who's brain has no connection with his mouth....so u speak NONSENSE!! When 2015 is here, vote for a smart leader and not the slowpoke who grew up without shoes

3 Likes

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by 1025: 12:13pm On Apr 14, 2013
amnesty for all 419ers, kidnappers and armed robbers is due. my bible tells me that thief cometh but to steal, kill and to destroy. which of these is not common with pdp and alams. they all kill, steal and destroy the system. we are all criminals and killers in nigeria and as such deserve amnesty. this amnesty of a thing shld not be restricted to any one or a any group.
pls someone shld confirm from joe the pardoner if there is any plan to give amnesty to 419ers and kidnappers so that i will know where to register.
every nigerian deserves amnesty because we have suffered.
come to think of it, can't this boko boys change their name and programme so that we can all register and go after these criminals and their families.
we can peacefully kill these few criminals who treat us like animals. can't we? after all the most powerful african was killed like a goat in libya why not here?
nigerians must come together and go after these beasts. we can do it not about talking always. we can delete them alongside their family members and take back all our wealth.

2 Likes

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by stebell(m): 12:14pm On Apr 14, 2013
Jus came back 4rm church n I tell yu de service was superb. I love being in de presence of de Most High God. Unlike yu haters of GEJ here in nairaland, don't go n look for sometin meaningful to do wit ur life. Even on sunday yu still insult ur leader n yu expect God to answer ur prayers. Hahaha I D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ laff una. GEJ my prayer 4 yu is dat God will continue to give yu strenght n courage to pilot de affairs of dis gr8 nation. Amen

1 Like

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by Dikwons(f): 12:18pm On Apr 14, 2013
This is sad. A big time criminal is granted pardon, while those who stole maggi are thrown in prison indefinitely, and deprived the right of a lawyer as they have no connection to any oga at the top. Brutal killers are granted amnesty while the unemployed continue to increase in their thousands. Fuel subsidy is removed to the detriment of the mass. A country with an abundance of natural wealth, poverty stentches the air. Can we be 'proudly nigerian'?
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by AssoJnr: 12:33pm On Apr 14, 2013
if alams must be pardon, den I tink every other Nigeria prisoner should be pardon. GEJ has lost focus already nd he only encourage coruption by pardoning dat criminal.
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 14, 2013
Abati is as doomed n daft as his boss! Foooooooooolsssss!!!
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by dbride: 12:59pm On Apr 14, 2013
Sure, who cares, you all can rot in that convinction! Next move please.
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by MrUzo: 1:03pm On Apr 14, 2013
Oga Jona, we all know you are not gona heed to anyone in ur quest for the pardon.. #If you don't pardon him in harmettan(ur tenure), who will?
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by NEROSKY(m): 1:07pm On Apr 14, 2013
Gej is a big fools!
I'm ashamed of my country!
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by Lincolnburrows(m): 1:10pm On Apr 14, 2013
Hypocrites! Everywhere especially on nairaland. Can you tell me one governor, senator or president who is not as guilty as alams? Just because he was caught just like the adulterous woman in the bible. I have said it before and I will say it again: if I was in GEJ's shoes, I will do the same. He's the man that made him who he is and it's not as if he was convicted of heinous crimes like murder or terrorism. So lets stop raining abusive words on him as if he was responsible for the biafran genocide of 1967.
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by Symphony007: 1:10pm On Apr 14, 2013
Why does'nt this president ever address issues by himself, why does it always have to be ruben abati or doyin okupe? Wow!! It's becoming disturbing and the lazy nigerian press is'nt challenging this regal bubble that the president has used to sheild himself.

1 Like

Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by Nobody: 1:47pm On Apr 14, 2013
tjskii: The govt dosnt need to justify its actions to we d citizens,they ave made it more than abundantly clear,that our opinions do not count,so they shud continue doing watever they bloody please angry angry
Your "opinions do not count" but when you protested against fuel price increase, govt reduced the price from N140 to N97. Your "opinions do not count" but when you protested against N5,000 note, the govt dropped the idea.

Even if we hate the name or person GEJ, we should be FAIR while making comments
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by otokx(m): 1:53pm On Apr 14, 2013
We have heard, can we please move on?
Re: No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency by meforyou1(m): 2:13pm On Apr 14, 2013
Of course what's there to regret. because alams is not a murderous hausa fulani kanuri?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Americans Support FG's Ban Of Twitter(photos) / After Leading BUHARI MUST GO Protest, Sowore Was Caught In Buhari Train-Pix / Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.