Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour (5641 Views)

Tinubu To Sue AIT For Airing ‘Defamatory Documentary’ / PDP Faults Fashola's Criticism Of Good Governance Tour / Good Governance Tour Ill-conceived – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 6:44am On Apr 14, 2013
Liberty Radio Kaduna Fined For Airing Phone Call Condemning Good Governance Tour

The growing assault on free speech in Nigeria took another dimension on Friday as Kaduna-based Liberty Radio FM was slammed with a hefty N2 million fine over a phone-in discussion programme.

The station’s ‘crime’? It aired a live comment by a caller who objected to the planned visit of the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, to the state. The caller suggested that the governor of Kaduna State spend the N150 million it cost to host the Minister’s so-called "Good Governance Tour" on more meaningful things. 

In addition to the fine, Liberty Radio FM was also asked to feature the Minister as a guest.

The popular station, it would be recalled, also recently interviewed the governor of Niger State, Governor Aliyu Babangida, who declared categorically on air that President Goodluck Jonathan did sign an agreement with governors of the Peoples Democratic Party in 2011 to spend only one term in office.

A source at the station told SaharaReporters that they have received up to 15 letters querying their broadcast from the Nigeria Broadcasting Commission (NBC), a body set up under military dictator Ibrahim Babangida to censor electronic broadcasts in the country.

The attention to the station culminated in the letter received on Friday announcing it has been slammed with the fine over the comment by the caller on a live Hausa programme - "InA Dalili."  The letter demanding payment of the fine was backdated to April 4, 2013.

Last week, the police in Abuja, at the instance of Mr. Jonathan, illegally detained four journalists of Leadership newspaper for a story about a “presidential directive” aimed at muzzling opposition in the country.  
Despite his increasingly unproductive government, Mr. Jonathan wants to run for president again in 2011.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/news-page/liberty-radio-fm-kaduna-fined-14000-airing-phone-call-condemning-good-governance-tour

Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Akshow: 7:31am On Apr 14, 2013
Same happened to wazobia fm Kano. What ever happened to press freedom. GEJ is becomin more dictatorial by the day

3 Likes

Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by mindtricks: 8:33am On Apr 14, 2013
Guess Mr Jona's gradually trying to be less softer these days, perhaps having been accused of being too weak. Wish he'd channel that strictness to the Boko boys.
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Everfrank(m): 8:47am On Apr 14, 2013
Akshow: Same happened to wazobia fm Kano. What ever happened to press freedom. GEJ is becomin more dictatorial by the day
The beginning of the end of our so called democracy.
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 10:38am On Apr 14, 2013
Wait.......ok..........reserved. ONPE!
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by ninja4life(m): 10:38am On Apr 14, 2013
Haa dis is getting serious or dont we have freedom of opinion again in nigeria or why does d radio station have to be fined over a caller's comment isnt dis insane so much for d press freedom dis makes me remember amaechi's speech dat we are going back to dictators regime so we all have to watch our comment now maybe next will be nairaland smh
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by herkeym001(m): 10:39am On Apr 14, 2013
No more Freedom of Speech. Na only GOD go help us all.
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by KingPradas(m): 10:40am On Apr 14, 2013
Without freedom of speech there is no democracy.
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by simongonner: 10:43am On Apr 14, 2013
nigeria jaga jaga
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 10:45am On Apr 14, 2013
Fine ke? Dem for kuku close the boko haram radio pata pata!
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeew!
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Emperortj93(m): 10:46am On Apr 14, 2013
Oya Keke drop me for this thread wey concern my people and our slowpoke bt dictator wannabe president

2 Likes

Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Guddy(m): 10:47am On Apr 14, 2013
What then is democracy when there is no freedom of speech
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 10:47am On Apr 14, 2013
Freedom of the press you say, Is the press really free? Though its a little bit better than the military regimes, but in actual fact, the govt still controls them. Just because a radio station aired "someone's opinion about govt's activity is enough for a fine! Whatever happened to the freedom of information (FOI) ACT??
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Akpaife(m): 10:48am On Apr 14, 2013
simon gonner: nigeria jaga jaga
Na hausa piple make nig jaga jaga

1 Like

Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 14, 2013
undecided No more press freedom....too bad
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 10:49am On Apr 14, 2013
KingPradas: Without freedom of speech there is no democracy.

there is fine line btw freedom of speech and freedom of movement. Besides we are talking about govt biz here. Simply put: owner of radio should be charged for treason.
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Emperortj93(m): 10:50am On Apr 14, 2013
Everytin scatter scatter, poor man dey suffer suffer, BOOM!! BOOOM!!!! Bomb blast everywhere in da north
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Profidada: 10:50am On Apr 14, 2013
A welcome development i must say. When it comes to the issue of media tolerance i think gej should be commended. In this country there is no difference between freedom of speech and character deformation.

2 Likes

Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by kennyonthrone(m): 10:51am On Apr 14, 2013
WTF 150million ke? Good governance tour ma foot mtchewww
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by DammyFx: 10:51am On Apr 14, 2013
This not reasonable to me ...
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 14, 2013
mindtricks: Guess Mr Jona's gradually trying to be less softer these days, perhaps having been accused of being too weak. Wish he'd channel that strictness to the Boko boys.

Wat type of foolish strictness r u referin to, he is bn simply stupid n turnin to a dictator...yet som hell bound paid supporters of his ll say he deserve anoda term to milk d masses dry n turn Nigeria into a failed state Wtout direction. May GOd punish him n evil supporters, d pains GEJ n his govt r inflicting on Nigerians r enuf 4 God to kill him b4 2015, a drunkard n power intoxicated slowpoke.

1 Like

Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Emperortj93(m): 10:54am On Apr 14, 2013
Shhhh shhhh abeg seun beg me mak i beg una so dat una go low una voice b4 NBA kum fine and ban nairaland bcus una dey critisis our dictator wannabe president
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by ypzilanti: 10:56am On Apr 14, 2013
We do not have good governance or good infrastructure. The only good thing in Nigeria democracy used to be freedom of speech. Now, they want to take the freedom of speech from us too. They do not know that giving people an outlet to air their annoyance helps to diffuse tension.

When you gag the people and also govern them badly, you are asking for a sponteneous explosion in the not too distant future.

Liberty FM should take the NBC to court so as not to set a bad precedence for government. We really should challenge such rubbish in court instead of bending over for FG to ravage our behinds. Shey you saw how Unilag managed to fight FG to stand still on the renaming issue? dont speak plenty english, go to court.
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by IYANGBALI: 10:59am On Apr 14, 2013
Akshow: Same happened to wazobia fm Kano. What ever happened to press freedom. GEJ is becomin more dictatorial by the day
na so bully all over the world dey behave
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by taharqa: 11:00am On Apr 14, 2013
It isn't surprising that there are people who actuali believe this STORI from Sahara Reporters: that a TV station was fined JUST cos a Caller talkd against d Good Governance Tour!!! And this from an Admin that has toleratd All manner of people, including known IJIOTS?? COME ON!......... By d way, is d new Line; He is a 'Dictator', and no longer, He is 'Weak'. The PROPAGANDISTS shld mk up dier minds, abeg..
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by IYANGBALI: 11:01am On Apr 14, 2013
ypzilanti: We do not have good governance or good infrastructure. The only good thing in Nigeria democracy used to be freedom of speech. Now, they want to take the freedom of speech from us too. They do not know that giving people an outlet to air their annoyance helps to diffuse tension.

When you gag the people and also govern them badly, you are asking for a sponteneous explosion in the not too distant future.

Liberty FM should take the NBC to court so as not to set a bad precedence for government. We really should challenge such rubbish in court instead of bending over for FG to ravage our behinds. Shey you saw how Unilag managed to fight FG to stand still on the renaming issue? dont speak plenty english, go to court.
do we really have courts and justice in Nigeria?my brother all na paddy paddy,we don enter one chance
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by ypzilanti: 11:03am On Apr 14, 2013
Profidada: A welcome development i must say. When it comes to the issue of media tolerance i think gej should be commended. In this country there is no difference between freedom of speech and character deformation.

Did you go to school at all?

So we cannot call radio stations to criticize government incompetence anymore? In a so called democracy? Government has all the means to spread their propoganda at the expense of the tax payers. They have NTA, Radio Nigeria, NOA, Abati and Okupe, yet they are afraid of common men who call radio stations to air their grievances? If they have to start fining private stations and arresting individuals without charging them, they should scrap all the media that FG controls and sack Okupe and Abati. The balance between the common man's access to media versus that of government is David versus Goliath, and yet Goliath is trembling...please tell us why.
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Scarpon(m): 11:07am On Apr 14, 2013
that's why I like America
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by ypzilanti: 11:07am On Apr 14, 2013
IYA NGBALI: do we really have courts and justice in Nigeria?my brother all na paddy paddy,we don enter one chance

My brother, going to court serves the purpose of delaying execution of government directive until court process is completed. It also brings more unfavorable media attention to the case. For instance, while the case is going on, foriegn media gets interested and civil society groups can use the case to embarass government. But if you pay the fine, you embolden wannabe dictators and their toy soldiers in the government agencies.
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by 2million1(m): 11:12am On Apr 14, 2013
Nigeria my country i hail thee....we'll get there one day.
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by na2day(m): 11:13am On Apr 14, 2013
Why am I not surprised?
They are getting desperate !
And I must confess, it will go from bad to worse!
The gagging of the people is the first step, very soon they will soon be knocking on nairalanders door for anti government posts.
You all are welcome to FRESH AIR angry
Re: NBC Fines Liberty Radio Kaduna For Airing Call Against Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 11:15am On Apr 14, 2013
Arrogance, rudeness and tyranny is a weak man's imitation of strength.
Mr president, ur advisers are misleading u

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ameachi: PDP Senators Walkout Was A Plan With Bukola Saraki / Many Countries Want Nigeria To Break Up Because Of Envy – NLC / BREAKING: Tony Anenih Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.