Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,840 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Why Do Catholics Confess Their Sins To A Priest? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Catholics Confess Their Sins To A Priest? (667 Views)

Why Do Catholics Pray With The Rosary, And Bow To Mary's Statue? / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? / Why Do Catholics Confess Their Sins To Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Catholics Confess Their Sins To A Priest? by Lovethywilbedon: 2:42pm On Apr 14, 2013
Well, the quick answer is because that's the way God wants us to do it. In James 5:16, God, through Sacred Scripture, commands us to "confess our sins to one another." Notice, Scripture does not say confess your sins straight to God and only to God...it says confess your sins to one another.

In Matthew, chapter 9, verse 6, Jesus tells us that He was given authority on earth to forgive sins. And then Scripture proceeds to tell us, in verse 8, that this authority was given to "men"...plural.

In John 20, verses 21-23, what is the 1st thing Jesus says to the gathered disciples on the night of His resurrection? "Jesus said to them, 'Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.'" How did the Father send Jesus? Well, we just saw in Mt 9 that the Father sent Jesus with the authority on earth to forgive sins. Now, Jesus sends out His disciples as the Father has sent Him...so, what authority must Jesus be sending His disciples out with? The authority on earth to forgive sins. And, just in case they didn't get it, verses 22-23 say this, "And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.'"

Why would Jesus give the Apostles the power to forgive or to retain sins if He wasn't expecting folks to confess their sins to them? And how could they forgive or retain sins if no one was confessing their sins to them?

The Bible tells us to confess our sins to one another. It also tells us that God gave men the authority on Earth to forgive sins. Jesus sends out His disciples with the authority on earth to forgive sins. When Catholics confess our sins to a priest, we are simply following the plan laid down by Jesus Christ. He forgives sins through the priest...it is God's power, but He exercises that power through the ministry of the priest.
Re: Why Do Catholics Confess Their Sins To A Priest? by sojics(m): 3:04pm On Apr 14, 2013
For me I don't think it is proper to confess your sins to God through a priest, though I am not a catholic, I confess my own sins to the Almighty God direct.
Re: Why Do Catholics Confess Their Sins To A Priest? by mumumugu(m): 3:37pm On Apr 14, 2013
Shey i fit confes to a mad man
Re: Why Do Catholics Confess Their Sins To A Priest? by Lovethywilbedon: 4:04pm On Apr 14, 2013
sojics: For me I don't think it is proper to confess your sins to God through a priest, though I am not a catholic, I confess my own sins to the Almighty God direct.
That is for you, but as you can see from above, the bible didn't condemn confession as many protestants claim, but rather, it SUPPORTS it.
Re: Why Do Catholics Confess Their Sins To A Priest? by butterflyy(f): 5:15pm On Apr 14, 2013
I confess to a priest n so what. If u no like am no do but i do. By the way we av seen this topic lots of time n urs wont make a diff. . Do ur thing n let me do mine stop quoting scriptures where i shouldnt what abt where it said I should. Jn.20 v 22 - 23

(1) (Reply)

Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Tuesday 7th May,2013 Favour Earns Trust By Pastor E. / What Prophet T.B. Joshua Looks Like As Anti-christ / Prophet T.B. Joshua; A Blessing To Our Generation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.