Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,884 members, 7,806,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names (6032 Views)

Union Bank Loses Two Billion Naira To Fraudsters...EFCC Steps In / PROMO!!! .com, .net, .biz, .org Domain Names For N159 On Namecheap.com / Cheapest Domain Names: Netfirms? Godaddy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 8:48am On Apr 15, 2013
Nigeria loses 3.76 billion naira to poor domain name

Nigeria's website owners have lost 3.76 billion naira as a result of poor domain name adoption.

Purchase of foreign domain names such as .com, .co.uk, .org and .net has resulted in the loss of 3.76 billion naira in the last five years.

According to news reports, the figure is expected to be more than double in another five years if the trend is not checked given the increasing level of Internet awareness and usage in the country.

Mr. Ope Odunsa, Chief Operating Officer of Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA) confirmed the figure, adding that over 752 million naira is paid annually by Nigerians to service the estimated 600,000 registered foreign domain names in the country.

Adding that It costs about 5,000 naira to purchase a domain name.

He expressed dissatisfaction with the development and urged the country's citizens, government agencies and corporate bodies to be proud of, its .NG domain name.

Reports have also revealed most government officials have their electronic mail designated at foreign domains like Yahoo!, Google, etc.

“The Minister of Communications Technology, Mrs. Omobola Johnson, had recently confirmed that out of the 54,000 indigenous email accounts created for government officials in the federal ministries, departments and agencies, only four per cent were in use,” a statement said.

In a country of over 170 million people, only 26,000 domain names were registered with NiRA at the end of 2013.

Source
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Emusan(m): 8:59am On Apr 15, 2013
What of .yahooyahoo guys? This figure isn't accurate.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 9:11am On Apr 15, 2013
Emusan: What of .yahooyahoo guys? This figure isn't accurate.

I am not sure I understand your point.

On an altogether different note, perhaps if the process of registration in Nigeria wasn't akin to threading the eye of a needle, there would be far less money going to foreign domain name registrants.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 9:15am On Apr 15, 2013
Is Nland guilty of this as well?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 9:22am On Apr 15, 2013
emmysenior: Is Nland guilty of this as well?

Is Nairaland registered with the CAC?
As I understand, this is a minimum requirement that has to be satisfied in to order to register a .ng domain.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Itoroetti(m): 11:08am On Apr 15, 2013
With all this situations where we take our money to foreign countries,tell me why inflation and downwardness of the naira will not continue.why don't we patronise our own?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 11:20am On Apr 15, 2013
Itoroetti :
With all this situations where we take our money to foreign countries,tell me why inflation and downwardness of the naira will not continue.why don't we patronise our own?

Visit the web sites for any of the Accredited Registrars for Nigeria and let me know if you find much information of use.

Until it is easier to execute simply transactions like this, I am afraid capital flight will continue apace.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by bunchyproject(m): 12:10pm On Apr 15, 2013
Too Baaaad! Want To Buy/lease a property in portharcourt:check: https://www.nairaland.com/bunchyproject/topics
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by KingPradas(m): 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2013
Which domain is 5000 Naira. At godaddy you can get a domain for 1.99 per year

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by ebamma(m): 12:14pm On Apr 15, 2013
So them no want make we use gmail and yahoo mail too, wetin them want make we use, abi na garri mail?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Orikinla(m): 12:14pm On Apr 15, 2013
[size=28pt]When NIRA makes domain names as affordable as N5000, we will patronize NIRA for .ng.com names.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by toluleke(m): 12:17pm On Apr 15, 2013
NIGERIANS are lazy set of people that wants to reap where they haven't sow

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by docjuli(m): 12:19pm On Apr 15, 2013
Quick to say "Adding that it costs about 5,000 naira to purchase a domain name" not quick to say the cost of a .NG.

.NG is very expensive. Very few own .NG, I know of bi.ng and leadership.ng

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 15, 2013
toluleke: NIGERIANS are lazy set of people that wants to reap where they haven't sow

Who is this ANTELOPE

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by niyyie(m): 12:25pm On Apr 15, 2013
You can get a .com.ng domain name for only N2,400 from Web4Africa or .ng for N15,000 as from 16th April 2013.
It is not always about the price but awareness is rather low. Example: there are so many misconceptions about .ng as clearly shown on this thread.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by docjuli(m): 12:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
toluleke: NIGERIANS are lazy set of people that wants to reap where they haven't sow

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by docjuli(m): 12:33pm On Apr 15, 2013
niyyie: You can get a .com.ng for only N2,400 from Web4Africa or .ng for N15, 000 from 16th April.

It is not not always about the price but awareness is rather low.

Yeah, the awareness is low and the condition (CAC) good in a way but the other side (small legitimate business not wanting to register) is not good.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by akhis: 12:37pm On Apr 15, 2013
In a country of over 170 million people, only 26,000 domain names were registered with NiRA at the end of 2013.

So they already know rthe numbers that will register by yeat end. Thought we are still in 2013

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by FunnyPikincom(m): 12:44pm On Apr 15, 2013
God!!!! shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by FunnyPikincom(m): 12:48pm On Apr 15, 2013
KingPradas: Which domain is 5000 Naira. At godaddy you can get a domain for 1.99 per year
Haba bros, I just got my domain name @ Godday for just $13.99 yesterday....which kind domain is urs
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by emandman: 12:50pm On Apr 15, 2013
Did abacha save his stolen money in nigerian banks?
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Lovetinz(m): 12:57pm On Apr 15, 2013
.com for 2k
.ng for 15k

If you take care of your pennies, your pounds will take care of you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by apacheguy: 1:01pm On Apr 15, 2013
The two probs wt registering .ng domain has to do wt d cost & awareness and d requirement u hav to meet b4 u can, a time lyk dt i wanted to register a domain name i tried registering a .ng but d moment i started seeing unnecessary bottlenecks, i immediately reverted back to my usual .com & .net, theyre easier, straight forward and cheap. Let NiRa ease the process of registration.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by 2jideofor(m): 1:12pm On Apr 15, 2013
Lol! I am a domain flipper. With coupon codes, you can get them for cheap $0.99-5
FunnyPikin.com:

Haba bros, I just got my domain name @ Godday for just $13.99 yesterday....which kind domain is urs

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by 222Martins(m): 1:23pm On Apr 15, 2013
2jideofor: Lol! I am a domain flipper. With coupon codes, you can get them for cheap $0.99-5
Right from the first day i ventured into online business, i have never bought a domain name for anything above $10. What a load of crap!!! What special advantage does a .NG or .Com.Ng give me that will make me pay N5,000 for it? Unless they are selling ready made PR domains.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by heous(m): 1:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
FunnyPikin.com:

i could buy 4 domains with thesame amount
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by egift(m): 1:28pm On Apr 15, 2013
2jideofor: Lol! I am a domain flipper. With coupon codes, you can get them for cheap $0.99-5
how can we get one?
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by AkinDavid2: 1:43pm On Apr 15, 2013
.ng will make my website look dubious and suspicious for my foreign clients.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by GeneralJ(m): 1:52pm On Apr 15, 2013
Akin-David:
.ng will make my website look dubious and suspicious for my foreign clients.. grin grin

But it will also boost your country's economy and encourage more foreign interest and investors, which will indirectly lead to higher development in your country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 1:53pm On Apr 15, 2013
[size=18pt]How much more do we lose to corrupt politicians?[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Lilimax(f): 1:54pm On Apr 15, 2013
Who is the fowl ranting
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Lilimax(f): 1:57pm On Apr 15, 2013
We as a country need to redeem our image globally before talking about having a domain bearing .ng. Nigeria as a name has been blocked in some international sites and and using the .ng may likely hamper your business globally. The ealier we know this the better for us as a country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is Adsense The Only Revenue Model For Nigerian Bloggers? / Webhostilla.com: cheapest domain reg And Unlimited Hosting #2400/yr / Which Web Host Powers Your Blog And Are They Reliable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.