Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,794 members, 7,798,681 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? (15726 Views)

Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% / How Nigerians Are Coping With Fuel Scarcity (Photos) / 99.9% Of Ilorin People Are Yorubas, is the king of saudia arabic , a Fulani man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by k00lxpert(m): 8:31am On Apr 17, 2013
Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala talks to Christiane Amanpour on CNN last night during an interview, when asked about hw corruption has eaten us deep in Nigeria, she responded emphatically that, Nigeria has about 170 million population and 99.9% of the population are corruption free and they are just hardworking pple who go about their businesses everyday to earn a living and that they just need a trusted govt to manage their resources, thats all.

The question is, is it true or false that 99.9% of Nigerians are corruption free?

fellow Nairalanders, you knw better, pls contribute

AMANPOUR: You are obviously a passionate defender of your country. You are a person who calls for transparency and honesty and best practices.

There is a huge problem with corruption in your country. The president promised to address this stuff. And the latest is that an ally of his, a former governor who was convicted of stealing millions of dollars, has been pardoned, embezzling $55 million in public funds.

Now, the U.S. calls that a setback for the fight against corruption.

I mean how do you answer that?

OKONJO-IWEALA: How do I answer that question?

OK, listen to what I have to say on corruption. And I think I have quite a bit to say. I wrote a book recently where I also had a whole chapter on that issue called, "Reforming the Unreformable."

Nigeria does have a problem with corruption. And so do many other countries, including developed countries. I don't like the fact that when people mention the name Nigeria, the next thing they say is corruption.

This is a country of 170 million people; 99.9 percent of them are honest, hard-working citizens who just want to get on with their lives and they want a government that delivers for them.

What we've said is that in order to help block any leakages and help to, you know, stop any attempts at corruption or taking monies, we must build electronic platforms. We must distance people from the money.

These things were recommended by the World Bank and the IMF. I used to work at the World Bank. We are doing them.
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Nobody: 8:39am On Apr 17, 2013
Most countries are corrupt. it's an established phenomenon.
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Nobody: 8:39am On Apr 17, 2013
Madam NOI must have read seen some of the comments posted on Nairaland a couple of days ago.

I suppose we are need to suspend reality every so often, just to feel human - if nothing else.

1 Like

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Abagworo(m): 8:48am On Apr 17, 2013
Yes majority of Nigerians are corruption free but however many if given the opportunity would engage in corrupt practices.

2 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by chucky234(m): 8:49am On Apr 17, 2013
99.9% Nigerians corruption free?
She can say that to nursery school children and certainly not an adult (literate or not) who is apparent with the many corrupt practices in the country.

13 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by grafikii: 8:53am On Apr 17, 2013
Yeah same way 99.9% has constant electricity

34 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by ojietu: 9:00am On Apr 17, 2013
who does she think she is decieving, Nigerians or the outside community? Let her tell that to the dogs.

4 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by k00lxpert(m): 9:06am On Apr 17, 2013
ojietu: who does she think she is decieving, Nigerians or the outside community? Let her tell that to the dogs.

maybe she thinks she's using political propaganda to deceive the international community or...she's trying to redeem the image of Nigeria from the black paint of corruption by the international community, which they 've marked Nigeria leaders not pple...

5 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Ferdinandu(m): 9:17am On Apr 17, 2013
chucky234: 99.9% Nigerians corruption free?
She can say that to nursery school children and certainly not an adult (literate or not) who is apparent with the many corrupt practices in the country.
Yea true i might believe that when i was growing up and due to the kind of discipline i received .Not until i entered Nigerian public life starting from School, i never knew that Adults can be full of Cheats,deceptions Nepotism ,corruption and any social ills you can think of.Madam Due process please face reality maybe you can make it 30% then we may start to believe you
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Adurangba(f): 9:32am On Apr 17, 2013
Maybe she should have said 100% of Nigerians are corrupt and then you will all shut your dirty mouths.

20 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by kenny1795(m): 9:32am On Apr 17, 2013
What wer u guyz expectin her to say?? Slander her own people and block way to foreign investmentz?? She had 2 protect our image. I guez d remainder 0.1% which z corrupt z d government

7 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Tsmooth1(m): 9:37am On Apr 17, 2013
Compare to the remaining 1% (Jonathan & co) 99% of Nigeria are not corrupt. Na true talk.

3 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by citizenY(m): 9:44am On Apr 17, 2013
I dey laugh, looku andi laighu

FELA...WE HAIL...RIP...YOUR WORDS ARE CAST IN STONE
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Gamji007: 9:44am On Apr 17, 2013
Dt means out of 170,000,000 Nigerians, 169,830,000 are corruption free, and we in this sorry state? Na wah ooooo!

6 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by momodub: 9:45am On Apr 17, 2013
na wa oooo

1 Like

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Nobody: 9:47am On Apr 17, 2013
They're not corrupt.. Just Christians..

Jesus keeps washing away our sins, making it white as snow..

Aki, she's right..

grin even a mosquito like me knows that..

5 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 17, 2013
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by zuma4k(m): 9:48am On Apr 17, 2013
hell nooo!!!
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Akpaife(m): 9:49am On Apr 17, 2013
Everybody is nt corrupt clik like if am saying d truth
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by dridowu: 9:49am On Apr 17, 2013
She must defend FG but we all know that Corruption is another name for Nigeria
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Nobody: 9:51am On Apr 17, 2013
She meant to say 99.9 % are fraudsters & Corrupt..
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by phoneport(m): 9:51am On Apr 17, 2013
Yes the irony of a deluded minister bent on the fringe of psychosis.
We are so corrupt free %99 that we ended up like this.
What a nation of cover up. Well I hardly blame her, what can she do or say against:
HER OGA AT THE TOP

5 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by MadCow1: 9:52am On Apr 17, 2013
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by oluomad(m): 9:52am On Apr 17, 2013
I love people who give Nigeria a very good public image!!
At least me am sure am not corrupt!!
My family members are not!!
If u criticize her then u are corrupt!!

19 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by nairaman66(m): 9:52am On Apr 17, 2013
Oh yea? I think she just won the joker of the year!!
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Akpaife(m): 9:53am On Apr 17, 2013
We Nigs are nt corrupt It is only our leaders dat is corrupt clik like if am saying d truth

2 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by 32D: 9:53am On Apr 17, 2013
that was a crude , unintelligent and stewpid response by madam okonjo......she was smarter than this, m not even talking about whether she lied or not, m talking bout the quality of her response. what happened to this woman? GEJ's idiocy is obviously rubbing off on her.

8 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by oluomad(m): 9:53am On Apr 17, 2013
oneangle: She meant to say 99.9 % are fraudsters & Corrupt..

Am sorry I have to call u a fool! Take heart

8 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by jamace(m): 9:54am On Apr 17, 2013
Does this woman know God at all? angry angry Why tell this kind of open lie? This lie is too brazen that it can not polish a corruption ridden country like Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Nobody: 9:54am On Apr 17, 2013
Mk she go kiss transformer
Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by Seum(f): 9:54am On Apr 17, 2013
For those that did not listen to the interview, please read the transcriptor watch the vide before you comment like Idiotas.
she said

[size=18pt]99.9 percent of them are honest, hard-working citizens[/size]

8 Likes

Re: 99.9% Of Nigerians Are Honest - Okonjo-Iweala: True? by chidooh1: 9:55am On Apr 17, 2013
rebranding,naija must chang by all means grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed[color=#000099][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kano Vigilantes And Local Thugs Clash In A Community. Photos / N601m Traced To Oyo-Ita, Forfeited To FG / Result-viewing Portal Now Working, Ready For Gubernatorial Polls – INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.