Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,394 members, 7,800,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa (20698 Views)

Best Music Platform For Nigerian & Ghanaian Music / Naija Music Has Come A Long Way (Songs U Listened To When U Were Younger) / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by mikeapollo: 4:31pm On Apr 18, 2013
onitshaigbo: Who cares about Ghana? To me it's just another Benin or Togo: a small insignificant country on the other side of Lagos.
b

Yeah....just like Israel or Cuba (countries with populations less than that of Togo).
It is better we start respecting ALL counties so that we too will be respected.
Sovereignity is not about population..

A country is respected for his achievements, the quality of lives and things they make or produce...not because of population.

Do you know that Israel is just 7million and Cuba is about 5million, yet they are the ones helping to train medical doctors from Nigeria....a country with 170million people! A country of 170 miilion people that cannot produce electricity!

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by onitshaigbo(m): 4:35pm On Apr 18, 2013
mikeapollo: b

Yeah....just like Israel or Cuba (countries with populations less than that of Togo).
It is better we start respecting ALL counties so that we too will be respected.
Sovereignity is not about population..

A country is respected for his achievements, the quality of lives and things they make or produce...not because of population.

Do you know that Israel is just 7million and Cuba is about 5million, yet they are the ones helping to train medical doctors from Nigeria....a country with 170million people! A country of 170 miilion people that cannot produce electricity!

I didn't say Ghana, Benin, and Togo are insignificant because of their population, only that they are insignificant.

Also, Israel and Cuba are not black countries, so it's not a fair comparison. In Africa, population correlates well with significance.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by jiggaz(m): 4:40pm On Apr 18, 2013
mikeapollo:

Wande Cole's Bumper-to-Bumper is one of the immitation of Ghanaian Hiplife style of music. Same for songs like Omawumi's Bottom Belle. Ghanaians were the people playing that of style/music before some of our musicians started to join, beiginning from Tony Tetuila.

Azonto is only a faster and more funkified version of Hiplife music.
Wande Coal's Bumper to Bumper & Omawumi's Bottom Belle an imitation of Ghanaian Hiplife? Guy can u listen to yourself? Have u forgotten dat Nigeria have a genre of music called Highlife? Or have u also forgotten dat Nigeria have a signature beat called Naija Gbedu or Nigerian dance music? Which was very popular before ur so-called Azonto? So u are saying dat Nigeria doesnt have a dance beat dat we were using before Azonto. Terry G's Free Madness, Timaya's Dem Mama, Faze's Kolomental, Olu Maintain's Yahoozee, Styl Plus's Imagine Dat, 9ice's Gongo Aso, Justina's Omo 2 Sexy, Nigga Raw's Ko Gbadun etc are also an imitation of Ghanaian Hiplife? Plz if u dont have anything to say, just keep mute. I know u have to defend ur country Ghana, i understand, but dont bring falsehood here. Before Azonto beat, Nigeria has a signature dance beat called Naija Gbedu or Naija dance music which is soo recognisable anywhere in d world & its still very much in use by our artistes. In Naija here, we call it different names like Tungba music or noise music which is mainly targeted for clubs, streets & parties. Mind u, apart from Olamide & K9 dat used Azonto-inspired beats, i cant remember any Nigerian artiste dat joined d Azonto bandwagon. Besides, its d dance dat is popular in Naija not d beat. We have our own signature Naija dance beat which most Africans dat i come across tells me dat its uniquely Nigerian. Dat they can tell a song is a Nigerian song by listening to d beat & d use of Pidgin English. So back to the topic, I.K was just trying to wash Ghanaians by making dat statement. Everybody knows dat Nigerian Music rules Africa & d African Diaspora. Anyone dat disputes dat fact is just wasting their time hating & like my brother Eldee The Don said ''Dont hate the player, hate the game''!!!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by timecop28: 4:45pm On Apr 18, 2013
mikeapollo: The truth hurts, especially if it is the bitter truth.This IK guy must have been a keen follower of music trends between Ghana and Nigeria

I have been saying this for almost 2 years now, and people did not believe me. Infact, I wanted to post a thread on the same topic!

Most of what young,so-caled Afro-pop Nigerian musicians are playing now is patterned after the Ghana Hiplife music (with lots of Azonto-like beats/rhythm). Only a few Nigerian Afro-pop musicians e.g. PSquare, had been original in recent years.

Any keen and unbiased follower of Nigerian and Ghana music from the 90s would see this trend clearly.
Let us think back to Silverbirds(STV)' Music Africa in the early 2000s and compare the type of songs/music from Ghana and Nigeria. At that time, Ghanaians had already created and playing their Afro-pop/ Hiplife music which is basically up-tempo highlife mixed with rap. In those days, Nigerian musicians were playing R&B....Check the list....Tuface, Eedris,Styl-Plus etc were all playing the so called R&B which was not as danceable. But the Ghanaian musicians had their own indigenous creation of Hiplife(their version of Afro-pop) music which was created/pioneered by REGGIE ROCKSTONE in the early 90s with other musicians like Obour, Obrafour, Praye, 4x4, K.K Fosu(who Olamide mentioned in his 'Bend Down Low'' Azonto dance album) etc

I used to visit Ghana then and I realised a contradiction between the Nigerian and Ghanaian music and film industries. While Nigerian films dominated their TV houses and video clubs, Ghana Hip-life( their self-styled Afro-Pop) dominated all their dance clubs and dance parties. You would never hear a single foreign music at their parties or occassions. Their Hiplife was rock solid for dancehall and parties.
On the contrary, Nigerian club houses were still dominated by foreign songs and Nigerian local music were not rocking our local parties/club houses unlike their Ghanaian counterparts. The reason for this is that the Ghana Hiplife has a faster tempo (more danceable) than the R&B of Nigerian musicians of that era.

The recent influence of Ghana's Hip-Life music in Nigeria started when Tony Tetuila went into a collabo with TicTac and they produced 'Fefe Ne Fe'.
The followed other Ghanaian groups like VIP who had a collabo with Tuface. Then came the collabo between Wande Cole in the song 'Allow me to kiss your hand'

But the emergence of PSquare and their beautyful songs changed the scenario and signalled the emergence of huge popularity of Nigerian songs in Ghana because PSquare were creative and some of their songs had this 'High-life; kind of effect, and Highlife music is very popular in Ghana.

But the heavy percussions of the Hiplife music and its very danceable rhtyhms and beats made it more attractive to dancers and party goers than our fake R&B. I could remember on STV's Music Africa. Ghanaian songs were more dance-inducing than Tuface's African Queen or any other Nigerian songs e.g Eederis or Style Plue or any other.

Soon, the Ghanaians added the crazy and fun-filled Azonto dance and the dance moves were patterned after the tempo of their Hiplife (Afro Pop) music. The effect on the music scene was too much and Nigerian musicians just decided to join!
The emergence of good Ghanaian rappers like Sarkodie and Guru and some onf their innovations and creative beats has also influenced a lot of Nigerian musicians

Check these trends;

Iyanya: The first album he released after winning MTN Project Fame was purely an R&B album which was not very successful commercially. But right now, just listen to his songs....he has jumped on the Ghanaian Hiplife style of music which rocks very well in parties. Infact, a lot of the clips he showed in the video of 'Kukere' are videos of Ghanaians dancing Azonto music which he downloaded from youtube e.g the small boy dancing

Omawumi: Her Bottom Belle album is an extraction from the Ghana Hiplife style.

Eedris: Even he himself has joined in singing the fast tempo beats of Hiplife/Afro Pop

Duncan Mighty; His songs are pure immitation of Ghana's Hiplife. Infact he featured Ghanaian rappers and the type/style of music are clearly new to Nigeria

Olamide: His 'Bend-Down Low' is clearly an Azonto song and he even acknowledged the Ghana influence in the song by mentioning some Ghanaian slangs and even the name of a musician K.K. Fosu. Remember. that song is different from his usual style which is rap.

J.Martins; He sings mostly highlife, but he is gradually infusing the Hiplife style into his music now

May-D: He jumped on the Azonto train without delay. His 2 singles in the market are purely Azonto/Hiplife songs and they are doing well

Timaya; He has joined in the Azonto/Hiplife craze.

D-Banj; He even featured the white guy that danced Azonto (after dancing with his Ghanaian friends on youtube)

Ruggedman/Terry G; Their latest works show a lot of influence on their music by Ghanaian musicians like Guru and Sarkodie.
Infact their beats are now tailored after Sarkodie's style

Davido; Compare his past works to his lastes songs....you would see the clear influence of Azonto on his songs

PSquare: They are preparing to join the Azonto craze (forget Alongo for now). The beats/rhythm of their song for Glo 'UNLIMITED' is a pure immitation of Sarkodie's beats.

.....the list goes on and on.

It is interesting to note that the latest music style/works of these guys are quite different from what they used to deliver just a few years ago. And the best hits in Nigerian music today are songs that are patterned after the Ghana's Azonto dance...e.g Iyanya, May-D, Olamide, Davido, Wizkid, etc

It should be noted that Nigeria and Ghana have always influenced and learned from each other. Ghana had greater influence on Nigeria in the early days up to the 70s. Nigeria had more influences from the 80s.
In the television/film industry, Nigeria seem to have had greater influence. Nigerian films are vitually in every village in Ghana, and they are preferred to Ghanaian films
But Ghana seems to have had greater influence on Nigeria in music. Highlife music came to Nigeria from Ghana and most of the best Nigerian musicians had their roots in Highlife....they either had Ghanaians in their bands or traveled to learn the act in Ghana. Infact there was a time when Ghanaian musicians were the best in West Africa e.g Ramblers Band and Osibisa, ET Mensah etc

Infact Fela was not a force to be reckoned with in Nigeria music (Highlife) until he traveled to Ghana where he lived for years and learned to master the real act of music. That was where Fela got the name 'AFRO BEAT'. He changed his style of music to Afrobeat while he was in Ghana and became an instant hit when he returned to Nigeria. He even brought some big and tall Ghanaian royal drums(which are played for kings) and he learnt how to beat the drums personally.

Interestingly, Nigerian musicians break higher grounds than their Ghanaian counterparts because of 2 reasons;

1. More Nigerian musicians sing in English (or Pidgin English) while Ghanaians sing mostly in their local languages....hence Nigeria songs tend to reach more fans
2. Nigeria has a bigger popluation, which translates to relatively more fan base and economic success.

It is not an offence or crime to be influenced by a neigbhbouring country. But we should also strive to create something that every keen follower can identify with us. Nigerian musicians shoudl also do some deep thinkng and bring out something that can rule the world. We have had series of dance styles/name like Alanta, Yahoozee, Galala etc. but s single Azonto from Ghana has had more impact globally in just a few yesrs.

God Bless Nigeria, God Bless Ghana!

Dude..your write-up is full of flaws, not a single valid point. There is no coherence at all. It's very obvious you don't know much about African music and the genres it entails. There is a huge difference between Afro-pop and Hiplife. Would you say lento is another twisted Hiplife? According to u, we neva made African style party jams until the first collaboration with a Ghanaian artiste?? Lol!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by jiggaz(m): 4:55pm On Apr 18, 2013
timecop28:
Dude..your write-up is full of flaws, not a single valid point. There is no coherence at all. It's very obvious you don't know much about African music and the genres it entails. There is a huge difference between Afro-pop and Hiplife. Would you say lento is another twisted Hiplife? According to u, we neva made African style party jams until the first collaboration with a Ghanaian artiste?? Lol!
Abi oo? Plz help me ask him my broda. Afro-Pop is soo different from Hiplife. Or can he also say dat Walilowelewa by Zambia singer ''Mampi'' is also Hiplife? Or Naeto C's Ten Ova Ten, Dr Sid's Pop Something, Mohit's Pere, Close to you & Booty Call? Those songs are Nigerian Dance music or Afro-Pop dat we have doin and still doing up till now. So stop confusing Hiplife with Afro-Pop.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Ironi: 4:58pm On Apr 18, 2013
mikeapollo: The truth hurts, especially if it is the bitter truth.This IK guy must have been a keen follower of music trends between Ghana and Nigeria

I have been saying this for almost 2 years now, and people did not believe me. Infact, I wanted to post a thread on the same topic!

Most of what young,so-caled Afro-pop Nigerian musicians are playing now is patterned after the Ghana Hiplife music (with lots of Azonto-like beats/rhythm). Only a few Nigerian Afro-pop musicians e.g. PSquare, had been original in recent years.

Any keen and unbiased follower of Nigerian and Ghana music from the 90s would see this trend clearly.
Let us think back to Silverbirds(STV)' Music Africa in the early 2000s and compare the type of songs/music from Ghana and Nigeria. At that time, Ghanaians had already created and playing their Afro-pop/ Hiplife music which is basically up-tempo highlife mixed with rap. In those days, Nigerian musicians were playing R&B....Check the list....Tuface, Eedris,Styl-Plus etc were all playing the so called R&B which was not as danceable. But the Ghanaian musicians had their own indigenous creation of Hiplife(their version of Afro-pop) music which was created/pioneered by REGGIE ROCKSTONE in the early 90s with other musicians like Obour, Obrafour, Praye, 4x4, K.K Fosu(who Olamide mentioned in his 'Bend Down Low'' Azonto dance album) etc

I used to visit Ghana then and I realised a contradiction between the Nigerian and Ghanaian music and film industries. While Nigerian films dominated their TV houses and video clubs, Ghana Hip-life( their self-styled Afro-Pop) dominated all their dance clubs and dance parties. You would never hear a single foreign music at their parties or occassions. Their Hiplife was rock solid for dancehall and parties.
On the contrary, Nigerian club houses were still dominated by foreign songs and Nigerian local music were not rocking our local parties/club houses unlike their Ghanaian counterparts. The reason for this is that the Ghana Hiplife has a faster tempo (more danceable) than the R&B of Nigerian musicians of that era.

The recent influence of Ghana's Hip-Life music in Nigeria started when Tony Tetuila went into a collabo with TicTac and they produced 'Fefe Ne Fe'.
The followed other Ghanaian groups like VIP who had a collabo with Tuface. Then came the collabo between Wande Cole in the song 'Allow me to kiss your hand'

But the emergence of PSquare and their beautyful songs changed the scenario and signalled the emergence of huge popularity of Nigerian songs in Ghana because PSquare were creative and some of their songs had this 'High-life; kind of effect, and Highlife music is very popular in Ghana.

But the heavy percussions of the Hiplife music and its very danceable rhtyhms and beats made it more attractive to dancers and party goers than our fake R&B. I could remember on STV's Music Africa. Ghanaian songs were more dance-inducing than Tuface's African Queen or any other Nigerian songs e.g Eederis or Style Plue or any other.

Soon, the Ghanaians added the crazy and fun-filled Azonto dance and the dance moves were patterned after the tempo of their Hiplife (Afro Pop) music. The effect on the music scene was too much and Nigerian musicians just decided to join!
The emergence of good Ghanaian rappers like Sarkodie and Guru and some onf their innovations and creative beats has also influenced a lot of Nigerian musicians

Check these trends;

Iyanya: The first album he released after winning MTN Project Fame was purely an R&B album which was not very successful commercially. But right now, just listen to his songs....he has jumped on the Ghanaian Hiplife style of music which rocks very well in parties. Infact, a lot of the clips he showed in the video of 'Kukere' are videos of Ghanaians dancing Azonto music which he downloaded from youtube e.g the small boy dancing

Eedris: Even he himself has joined in singing the fast tempo beats of Hiplife/Afro Pop

Duncan Mighty; His songs are pure immitation of Ghana's Hiplife. Infact he featured Ghanaian rappers and the type/style of music are clearly new to Nigeria

Olamide: His 'Bend-Down Low' is clearly an Azonto song and he even acknowledged the Ghana influence in the song by mentioning some Ghanaian slangs and even the name of a musician K.K. Fosu. Remember. that song is different from his usual style which is rap.

J.Martins; He sings mostly highlife, but he is gradually infusing the Hiplife style into his music now

May-D: He jumped on the Azonto train without delay. His 2 singles in the market are purely Azonto/Hiplife songs and they are doing well

D-Banj; He even featured the white guy that danced Azonto (after dancing with his Ghanaian friends on youtube)

Ruggedman/Terry G; Their latest works show a lot of influence on their music by Ghanaian musicians like Guru and Sarkodie.

Davido; Compare his past works to his lastes songs....you would see the clear influence of Azonto on his songs

PSquare: They are preparing to join the Azonto craze (forget Alongo for now). The beats/rhythm of their song for Glo 'UNLIMITED' is a pure immitation of Sarkodie's beats.

It is interesting to note that the latest music style/works of these guys are quite different from what they used to deliver just a few years ago. And the best hits in Nigerian music today are songs that are patterned after the Ghana's Azonto dance...e.g Iyanya, May-D, Olamide, Davido, Wizkid, etc

It should be noted that Nigeria and Ghana have always influenced and learned from each other. Ghana had greater influence on Nigeria in the early days up to the 70s. Nigeria had more influences from the 80s.
In the television/film industry, Nigeria seem to have had greater influence. Nigerian films are vitually in every village in Ghana, and they are preferred to Ghanaian films
But Ghana seems to have had greater influence on Nigeria in music. Highlife music came to Nigeria from Ghana and most of the best Nigerian musicians had their roots in Highlife....they either had Ghanaians in their bands or traveled to learn the act in Ghana. Infact there was a time when Ghanaian musicians were the best in West Africa e.g Ramblers Band and Osibisa, ET Mensah etc

Infact Fela was not a force to be reckoned with in Nigeria music (Highlife) until he traveled to Ghana where he lived for years and learned to master the real act of music. That was where Fela got the name 'AFRO BEAT'. He changed his style of music to Afrobeat while he was in Ghana and became an instant hit when he returned to Nigeria. He even brought some big and tall Ghanaian royal drums(which are played for kings) and he learnt how to beat the drums personally.

Interestingly, Nigerian musicians break higher grounds than their Ghanaian counterparts because of 2 reasons;

1. More Nigerian musicians sing in English (or Pidgin English) while Ghanaians sing mostly in their local languages....hence Nigeria songs tend to reach more fans
2. Nigeria has a bigger popluation, which translates to relatively more fan base and economic success.

It is not an offence or crime to be influenced by a neigbhbouring country. But we should also strive to create something that every keen follower can identify with us. Nigerian musicians shoudl also do some deep thinkng and bring out something that can rule the world. We have had series of dance styles/name like Alanta, Yahoozee, Galala etc. but s single Azonto from Ghana has had more impact globally in just a few yesrs.

Can't explain it any better. You sound like a very keen observer and a good music lover.

Problem is there are too many ignorant Nigerians gracing these pages.

Nigeria and Ghana are two neighbours and the cultural influence of one on the other should not be anything of a suprise.

At the moment the music trend and influence is just what you ably painted, no ifs or buts about it.

I get the impression many people here are kids or they look like kid-adults who can not tell the difference between an asss hole and a pusssy.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by timecop28: 5:55pm On Apr 18, 2013
You see advocates of Ghanaian music. From the get-go, Nigerian PARTY JAMS has been a fusion of Dance hall, Hi-life, Hip-hop and pop music. But it has been largely influenced by Dance Hall music. This is why its called Afro-pop cos u can't place it anywhere. It depends mainly on dance and production trends.
@mikeapollo....That they feature Ghanaian artisteS doesn't imply that all they do is Hip-life. Besides, u mentioned Dbanj, Davido and Ruggedman also incorporating the style...Haba! apart from Overseas and Gunshot, mention any other by Davido. mention just one by D'banj and one by Ruggedman
Another correction, Timaya's music is mostly pure Dance hall.
I understand the urge to differ from the crowd, but always get ur findings on point before u do that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Nobody: 6:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
Hahaha IK musta been high when he said this.. Seriously? Mtchewwwwww

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by EmmyDe25(m): 6:38pm On Apr 18, 2013
Hhana music? Is there anything of sort? Mtcheew! Even their Azonto dance wey dey don turn to god... Chis Brown tok am for 106 and Park sey na for 9ja hin learn am. Shout out to Wizkid.
Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by ghboy: 6:38pm On Apr 18, 2013
abdulkayus: abeg who is dat silly dude wey no no between his left and right? Even a south african cannot claim dat SA is more popular or better dan 9ja mucis talkless of a silly Ghana music. Who even sabi their artistes apart frm Sarkodie and dat other gal(werin be her name self) BTW and hw many awards (international oooo) hav dey even won. Dis Ghanians wit their inferiority complex self. Mtwsss
-----------------
!d!0t. what has this got to do with Ghana and inferiority complex? naaansense! pls dont start.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by ghboy: 6:44pm On Apr 18, 2013
[quote author=Profidada]Personally i get mad whenever my country men will be carrying out comparative analysis b/w nigeria and ghana. For goodness sake it should not be. We have nothing to learn from ghana. We should be looking at countries like brazil, india, pakistan, bangledish that have similar size and complexities for comparative analysis. Enough of this bookshit of nigeria is this while ghana is that.
---------------
Brazil, India, Pakistan? for a start learn how to provide n distribute energy and get ur poverty n illiteracy rate low like Ghana 1st before you try Brazil, India etc. at least you dreaming big. that's good

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by ghboy: 7:01pm On Apr 18, 2013
[quote author=mikeapollo]The truth hurts, especially if it is the bitter truth.This IK guy must have been a keen follower of music trends between Ghana and Nigeria

Check these trends;

God Bless Nigeria, God Bless Ghana
--------
2963 likes
God bless you too bros. im Ghanaian but listen to Naija music more cos its majorly english n danceable now. i speak Twi but hardly understand them in songs just like Ga

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by ghboy: 7:07pm On Apr 18, 2013
[quote author=timecop28]You see advocates of Ghanaian music. From the get-go, Nigerian PARTY JAMS has been a fusion of Dance hall, Hi-life, Hip-hop and pop music. But it has been largely influenced by Dance Hall music. This is why its called Afro-pop cos u can't place it anywhere. It depends mainly on dance and production trends.
@mikeapollo....That they feature Ghanaian artisteS doesn't imply that all they do is Hip-life. Besides, u mentioned Dbanj, Davido and Ruggedman also incorporating the style...Haba! apart from Overseas and Gunshot, mention any other by Davido. mention just one by D'banj and one by Ruggedman
Another correction, Timaya's music is mostly pure Dance hall.
I understand the urge to differ from the crowd, but always get ur findings on point before u do that.
-------
i dont know Ruggedman n havent listened to Dbanj much but Davido's recent track Gobe was sung to suit the Ghanaian style for him to even dance Azonto in the clip. i listened to the original by Password (i think) and it was waay different. one reason why Davido's is turning a hit while no one even heard of Password
Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Abrantie: 8:39pm On Apr 18, 2013
mikeapolo, I salute! You sure know your Ghana-Nigeria music history.

If you happen to be in Ghana when Alien Compliance Order Reloaded rolls around, look me up. I shall protect you.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by timecop28: 8:51pm On Apr 18, 2013
oh..u know Davido so well, u listened to Password but you don't know Ruggedman and haven't listened to D'banj much? I'm getting you. My point is the Azonto-like beat has been the trend since last year, tho it's gradually slipping away..dts very true.. However, the notion that Ghana's Hip-life influenced Nigerian music from onset. Sheer fallacy dat is! Besides, it's even the up and coming acts and those that recently joined the A-list that jumped on the Azonto bandwagon. Tho Tuface also jocked the idea into Ihe neme (still last year).

Having said that, Hip-life has never been a MAJOR influence on the dance tracks by Artistes that have been at the top since the last decade e.g Tuface, D'banj, P-square, 9ice, Timaya, Terry G. It's been either dance hall, Hi-life, Makossa, Pop or 'Afro-pop'.

NB- That a song is from Ghana or owned by a Ghanaian or done in Ghanaian language doesn't make it HIP-LIFE. Even Reggie rockstone once said in an interview that Hip-life was dying.
Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Abrantie: 9:03pm On Apr 18, 2013
ghboy: God bless you too bros. im Ghanaian but listen to Naija music more cos its majorly english n danceable now. i speak Twi but hardly understand them in songs just like Ga

My old man too would rather leave the tv on Nigerian movies provided there's nothing else worth watching. Not that Nigerian movies are superbly produced or are the epitome of artistic talent, but simply because... "it's in English! Abrantie son, I'd rather watch nicely shaped black African women speaking English in the village than flat obronis (oyibos) speaking English in their skyscrapers". grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Okijajuju1(m): 9:51pm On Apr 18, 2013

Check these trends;

Wow!!,

Rubbish has never sounded so good.. shocked

You must work for a Nigerian soft sell magazine..

Darn!!
Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Kajina: 10:59pm On Apr 18, 2013
mikeapollo:

Everything would be 'crap' to an ignorant and arrogant person!

From top to bottom, I agree with your write-up, and only ignorant and arrogant Nigerians will say it's crap. You really know the history of Ghanaian music and its impact on Nigerians. The older Nigerians have even loved Ghanaian music to date. I went with my Nigerian friend (Igbo) to her auntie’s home. When we entered the house, this middle-aged woman and her husband were bashing Ghanaian highlife music. These were some very old songs I have never heard before. I believe I was not even born when those songs were made. The woman was even singing the lyrics LOL! I have no idea whether she understood it or not but she was really enjoying it cheesy The fact that they own a very old Ghanaian music shows they have loved Ghanaian music since they were young. So my brother keep telling the truth, he who has ears will hear cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by thoniann(m): 12:01am On Apr 19, 2013
churific: I don't mind him saying that because even he doesn't believe that. Azonto goes semi-viral and they're are already claiming Kilimanjaro! I can't even name 20 Ghanaian songs I know.
i cant even name 5 songs.
Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by thoniann(m): 12:04am On Apr 19, 2013
delion20: Is IK high or something?
he's still high on south african weed.... Hehehehe
Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by porka: 12:05am On Apr 19, 2013
chachacorner: Visit here for more: http://chachacorner.com/nigerian-music-has-been-overtaken-by-ghanaian-music-ik-osakioduwa/

Are you joking? Let me tell you the truth. Ghana has taken over Nigeria on the music scene, and what is selling now is Ghana. So every Nigerian has one song that sounds Ghanaian. Many people have started making Ghanaian accents on their songs. So whether it is Olamide or K-9 incorporating Ghanaian mannerisms on their songs or whether it’s just putting Ghanaian songs like Atumpan or Sarkodie on air. Maybe it’s the big names that are selling and not so much for the younger ones. But that is why we are doing such and exchange,” he answered.

It's not only the music they are Ghanaianizing.

You can barely differentiate a Nigerian and a Ghanaian when speaking these days.

They've Ghanaianized many words we used to pronounce exactly like Queen Elizabeth II.

Mercy has become messi

Birthday is now pronounced bed-day

Perfect is pefect now in Nigeria

Heard is called hed now

Earth has turned to et

Earnest now turns to enest.

And many more...

These Ghanaianization started some years back but seems to have gained momentum in recent years.

It's now in the mainstream.

Our radio and television personalities are unfortunately becoming very comfortable with that funny accent.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by blackbeau1(f): 12:52am On Apr 19, 2013
in as much as i agree that it wasn't diplomatic for him to say that,i have to agree with him.he is saying the truth. our music stars are just busy copying ghanaian beats and xopying each other. this should be a wake-up call tp them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Kajina: 1:43am On Apr 19, 2013
porka:

It's not only the music they are Ghanaianizing.

You can barely differentiate a Nigerian and a Ghanaian when speaking these days.

They've Ghanaianized many words we used to pronounce exactly like Queen Elizabeth II.

Mercy has become messi

Birthday is now pronounced bed-day

Perfect is pefect now in Nigeria

Heard is called hed now

Earth has turned to et

Earnest now turns to enest.

And many more...

These Ghanaianization started some years back but seems to have gained momentum in recent years.

It's now in the mainstream.

Our radio and television personalities are unfortunately becoming very comfortable with that funny accent.

@ bolded,

Maybe they are ashamed the queen will hear their funny Nigerian accent, when words like:

Mercy has become maacy

birthday has become batday

perfect has become paafect

Heard has become haad

Earth has become aath

Ernest has become aanest

You think Ghanaians have funny accent? I wonder what the queen will say when she also hears Nigerians pronounce the following words with their funny Nigerian accent:

Open has become Opun - So if open is opun, I believe OBEDIENT has also become OBUDIENT and HEAVEN, HEAVUN? grin

Culture has become culchor

Purse has become pause

Nurse has become norse

Us has become os

Cut has become caught

Blood has become blod

Oil has become oyor

Education has become educa(shon)

Population has become popula(shon)

Nation has become na(shon) and all the other words with tions have become shons grin

Emerge has become emaage

Emergency has become emaagency

Pursue has become porshoe LOL what the hell is shoe doing in pursue

Sue has become shoe grin

Lawsuit has become lawshoot grin

I can go on and on with the Nigerian funny pronunciations. Believe me, if the queen hears them, she would go like “What the hell are these people saying? This isn't what we taught them angrygrin

No wonder nobody else understands Nigerians when they speak, except themselves grin grin grin cheesy and you are here saying Ghanaian accent is funny Abua ba!!!

BTW, the link below can help you guys polish up all those funny pronunciations. Just enter the word and hear the English man pronounce it cheesy

http://www.howjsay.com/

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by NLGwoodey: 4:24am On Apr 19, 2013
Kajina:

I can go on and on with the Nigerian funny pronunciations. Believe me, if the queen hears them, she will go like “What the hell are these people saying?”

No wonder nobody else understands Nigerians when they speak, except themselves grin grin grin cheesy and you are here saying Ghanaian accent is funny

//

Tell the Queen make she say "Eko Oni baaje" make we know if any Yoruba person will understand her English accent. mtcheeeew!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Kajina: 5:31am On Apr 19, 2013
NLG_woodey:
//

Tell the Queen make she say "Eko Oni baaje" make we know if any Yoruba person will understand her English accent. mtcheeeew!

Well, the queen taught you her language, so either you speak it well or you don't speak it at-all. But not to murder it grin Maybe if you taught the queen Yoruba, she would speak it well cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Nobody: 5:33am On Apr 19, 2013
Kajina:

Well, the queen taught you her language, so either you speak it well or you don't speak it at-all. But not to murder it grin Maybe if you taught the queen Yoruba, she would speak it well cheesy

Jeez you got mouth.

I salute

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Amya(f): 8:45am On Apr 19, 2013
If you get a raggaetone influence on a particular track on a song, will it be said that you stole the latino music?

If you rap, will it be said you stole the AA's style of music?

Nobody is stealing from anyone! No one has sole rights to style of musics. You can literally sing anything you want and whether or not it'll be successful depends very much on the demand/market for that kind of music.

Creativity is when you make something pleasing to the ear no matter where you get the influences. So all those screaming that making ghana styled music by our artists is them being unoriginal should take a blind leap.
Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by mikeapollo: 9:01am On Apr 19, 2013
jiggaz: Wande Coal's Bumper to Bumper & Omawumi's Bottom Belle an imitation of Ghanaian Hiplife? Guy can u listen to yourself? Have u forgotten dat Nigeria have a genre of music called Highlife? Or have u also forgotten dat Nigeria have a signature beat called Naija Gbedu or Nigerian dance music? Which was very popular before ur so-called Azonto? So u are saying dat Nigeria doesnt have a dance beat dat we were using before Azonto. Terry G's Free Madness, Timaya's Dem Mama, Faze's Kolomental, Olu Maintain's Yahoozee, Styl Plus's Imagine Dat, 9ice's Gongo Aso, Justina's Omo 2 Sexy, Nigga Raw's Ko Gbadun etc are also an imitation of Ghanaian Hiplife? Plz if u dont have anything to say, just keep mute. I know u have to defend ur country Ghana, i understand, but dont bring falsehood here. Before Azonto beat, Nigeria has a signature dance beat called Naija Gbedu or Naija dance music which is soo recognisable anywhere in d world & its still very much in use by our artistes. In Naija here, we call it different names like Tungba music or noise music which is mainly targeted for clubs, streets & parties. Mind u, apart from Olamide & K9 dat used Azonto-inspired beats, i cant remember any Nigerian artiste dat joined d Azonto bandwagon. Besides, its d dance dat is popular in Naija not d beat. We have our own signature Naija dance beat which most Africans dat i come across tells me dat its uniquely Nigerian. Dat they can tell a song is a Nigerian song by listening to d beat & d use of Pidgin English. So back to the topic, I.K was just trying to wash Ghanaians by making dat statement. Everybody knows dat Nigerian Music rules Africa & d African Diaspora. Anyone dat disputes dat fact is just wasting their time hating & like my brother Eldee The Don said ''Dont hate the player, hate the game''!!!

You miss the point totally and you dont understand the analysis of the trend I pointed out. Go and listen to the beats/rhythms of all the musicians/tracks you mentioned....they are different from the background beats in Bumper-to-Bumper(Wande) and Bottom Belle(Omawumi).
There are 2 trends here....the Hiplife trend, then later fused with the Azonto style. Nigerian musicians have been immitating the Ghanaian Hiplife( fast tempo highlife mixed with rap)for a couple of years back.....then Azonto style followed.
Mind you, the Azonto style is just a much faster and more funkified Hiplife!

Tell me, ten years ago, which Nigerian musician was singing/playing the current trend of highlife mixed with rap? Absolutely none! They were all virtually playing R&B or Rap! It was the introduction of the Hiplife from Ghana (from the STV Music Africa show and other collabos between some Nigerian/Ghanaian musicians) that made Nigerians to start playing the current Hiplife with rap, which we now call Afro-Pop!
There was no particular music identity for Naija Gbedu. It was just a phrase to show that the music/songs being played on radio/TV is of Nigerian origin.
All the current hit songs have a style that is different from all the style used in the tracks you listed...Yahoosee, Style Plus,Gongo Aso etc. The current hit songs are fast tempo, with emphasis on highlife mixed with rap!
Just go listen to them....you hear a lead vocalist singing a highlife-like tune, then a rapper comes in to give the music some hip-hop flair....and the beats are fast with studio bridge effects. Nigerian musicians were not singing like that ten years ago.

We copied their Hiplife first....then we are also going along with the Azonto beats, which is just a faster and more funkified extraction from Hiplife.

I know these things because I have been visiting clubs and dance halls in Ghana since the late 1990s and I made the observation long before IK's statement.

Mind you, IK is in the industry and most Nigerian musicians know what he said is true.

Just about 5 years ago, Iyanya was singing R&B after Project Fame .But what does he sing/play now? His Kukere album was patterned after Ghanaian Hiplife.....even he featured some clips of some Ghanaians dancing Hiplife/Azonto beats on the youtube, which he downloaded to suit the beats/dance in his video.

Ask yourself....where did the current trend of fast tempo highlife mixed with rap come from since no Nigerian musicians were playing that style ten years ago?

Reggae style came from Jamaica, no Reggae musician should deny that!

It is not a crime to borrow an idea from someone. Just be decent and sincere enough to accept or acknowledge it, and move on.
I dont know why we deny stark-naked truths.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Abrantie: 9:23am On Apr 19, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

Jeez you got mouth.

I salute
I kid you not. Kajina can be on my debating team any day.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Abrantie: 9:27am On Apr 19, 2013
Amya: If you get a raggaetone influence on a particular track on a song, will it be said that you stole the latino music?

If you rap, will it be said you stole the AA's style of music?

Nobody is stealing from anyone! No one has sole rights to style of musics. You can literally sing anything you want and whether or not it'll be successful depends very much on the demand/market for that kind of music.

Creativity is when you make something pleasing to the ear no matter where you get the influences. So all those screaming that making ghana styled music by our artists is them being unoriginal should take a blind leap.

No, if a musician uses reggaetone beats, then they borrowed it from ragga/reggae/dancehall or Jamaica. Hence the term "reggae-tone" (Translation: it sounds like reggae... and we're singing in Spanish).

Listen to the predominant beat in Flavour's "Ashawo", and then compare it to a Jamaican dancehall song called "Bam Bam" by Chaka Demus & Pliers (google it up).

After you've managed to listen to both, how would you categorize Flavour's song? Is it reggae dancehall, reggaeton, afro-pop, highlife, Nigerian music or what? If your choice doesn't include reggae dancehall, then you're not truly giving credit where credit is due.

Chaka Demus & Pliers ---
"Bam Bam": http://mp3skull.com/mp3/bam_bam_chaka_demus_and_pliers.html
"Murder She Wrote": http://mp3skull.com/mp3/murder_she_wrote_chaka_demus_and_pliers.html

Flavour N'abania ---
"Ashawo": http://mp3skull.com/mp3/flavour_ashawo.html

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by Nobody: 10:46am On Apr 19, 2013
360command: boss you have said it all, infact I had to give you a like. You had said what we all need to be told . The truth is bitter . Like you said, its not a crime for we to influence our neighbour countries music but I can also make out my list on some ghanian music which has copied or emulated our style of music but due to the fact I am on my mobile, I cannot elabore perfectly by paragraphing .

I believe you should know guys like ruff and smooth, what will you say about their style of music ? That's completely Nigerian style.

There is this ghanian artist that sang this song 'I don kolo' ? But I cannot remember their names. The truth about this ghanian artiste is that they copy our music by putting our pidgin english words when half of the population of ghana does not know what 'I don kolo 'means .

So speaking pidgin is copying. Ok for your information:
West African Pidgin English, also called Guinea Coast Creole English, was the lingua franca, or language of commerce, spoken along the West African coast during the period of the Atlantic slave trade. British slave merchants and local African traders developed this language in the coastal areas in order to facilitate their commercial exchanges, but it quickly spread up the river systems into the West African interior because of its value as a trade language among Africans of different tribes. Later in its history, this useful trading language was adopted as a native language by new communities of Africans and mixed-race people living in coastal slave trading bases such as James Island, Bunce Island, Elmina Castle, Cape Coast Castle and Anomabu.
Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_African_Pidgin_English
Ghanaians have been speaking pidgin english from way back so who copied who?
Speaking of copying, it's no news that Nigerians have been copying Ghanaian artist for long. Stealing their beat and making their own song out of it:

Wutah-Katosa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oTpgR5iPfA
Flavour-Kwarikwa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqO_KQNj5xs

No shame i tell you, then you ppl still have the audacity to insult Ghanaians.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa by jiggaz(m): 12:03pm On Apr 19, 2013
mikeapollo:

You miss the point totally and you dont understand the analysis of the trend I pointed out. Go and listen to the beats/rhythms of all the musicians/tracks you mentioned....they are different from the background beats in Bumper-to-Bumper(Wande) and Bottom Belle(Omawumi).
There are 2 trends here....the Hiplife trend, then later fused with the Azonto style. Nigerian musicians have been immitating the Ghanaian Hiplife( fast tempo highlife mixed with rap)for a couple of years back.....then Azonto style followed.
Mind you, the Azonto style is just a much faster and more funkified Hiplife!

Tell me, ten years ago, which Nigerian musician was singing/playing the current trend of highlife mixed with rap? Absolutely none! They were all virtually playing R&B or Rap! It was the introduction of the Hiplife from Ghana (from the STV Music Africa show and other collabos between some Nigerian/Ghanaian musicians) that made Nigerians to start playing the current Hiplife with rap, which we now call Afro-Pop!
There was no particular music identity for Naija Gbedu. It was just a phrase to show that the music/songs being played on radio/TV is of Nigerian origin.
All the current hit songs have a style that is different from all the style used in the tracks you listed...Yahoosee, Style Plus,Gongo Aso etc. The current hit songs are fast tempo, with emphasis on highlife mixed with rap!
Just go listen to them....you hear a lead vocalist singing a highlife-like tune, then a rapper comes in to give the music some hip-hop flair....and the beats are fast with studio bridge effects. Nigerian musicians were not singing like that ten years ago.

We copied their Hiplife first....then we are also going along with the Azonto beats, which is just a faster and more funkified extraction from Hiplife.

I know these things because I have been visiting clubs and dance halls in Ghana since the late 1990s and I made the observation long before IK's statement.

Mind you, IK is in the industry and most Nigerian musicians know what he said is true.

Just about 5 years ago, Iyanya was singing R&B after Project Fame .But what does he sing/play now? His Kukere album was patterned after Ghanaian Hiplife.....even he featured some clips of some Ghanaians dancing Hiplife/Azonto beats on the youtube, which he downloaded to suit the beats/dance in his video.

Ask yourself....where did the current trend of fast tempo highlife mixed with rap come from since no Nigerian musicians were playing that style ten years ago?

Reggae style came from Jamaica, no Reggae musician should deny that!

It is not a crime to borrow an idea from someone. Just be decent and sincere enough to accept or acknowledge it, and move on.
I dont know why we deny stark-naked truths.
So its now news in Ghana dat Nigerian artistes have been stealing Ghanaian songs & style and making it their own? cheesy cheesy Lmaoo!! I laugh in Spanish. U people should keep deluding yourselves over there. I wonder why dis didnt come up before. Nigerians dat even doesnt know anything abt Ghanaian music until last year all thanx to Sarkodie's U go kill me. Even up till now its only Sarkodie and R2Bees dat people know in Naija. So how were our artistes copying people dat they dont even know? And to talk of copying, R2Bees have been copying Nigerian style of music dat they even said in an interview i read abt them online & i quote ''We will be doing Nigerian kind of music since it is what is selling in Ghana and Africa. We wont be doing Hiplife since it doesnt sell outside Ghana''. So tell me how Nigerians are copying people dat wants our own style of music? The music we do in Nigeria is called Naija dance music or Afro-pop not Hiplife. Hiplife is for u Ghanaians. I wont argue with u people again cos its an open secret dat some Ghanaians especially ur artistes doesnt like Nigerians cos we are taking their shine even in Ghana. They hate us but yet, they wanna be like us. But its all good cos d average Nigerian doesnt give a damn what Ghanaians think abt dem, datz why they said we are arrogant. Besides, I.K is a very good presenter but his music background is not sound, his Show on Rhythm 93.7 Fm ''Dance Party'' is kinda boring cos his playlist is poor. He doesnt know good music. So dont take him serious. Mind u, Iyanya's style of music now is called Naija dance music or Afro-pop. The style u see in his Kukere video and others is called ETIGHI, his native Cross River dance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

[video] Efe Ft. Olamide – "Warri" / Shaku Shaku Is A Dance Done By Criminals – Twitter User Claims / Elton John - Sacrifice - Mp3/mp4 Download + Lyrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 244
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.