Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,026 members, 7,799,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? (44063 Views)

10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades / Testimonies Of Second-Class Lower Graduates Who Have Good Jobs / Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by demmy55(m): 9:49pm On Apr 17, 2013
All the job offers I've seen comes with requirements and one of the common requirement is a "minimum of Second Class Upper Division.
What happens to majority of Nigerian graduates who graduated with Second Class Lower or even below that.

Can applicants with 2.2 still apply for a job with a 'minimum of 2.1' requirement?

Can relevant or additional training and courses on the CV of a 2.2 applicant change the mind of recruiters who requires candidates with a minimum of 2.1?

Is "a minimum of 2.1" requirement just to scare '2nd Class Lower, 3rd Class and Pass' applicants off?

Has any 2.2 applicant secured a job which requires a minimum of 2.1?

I need answers please.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by adewasco2k(m): 9:58pm On Apr 17, 2013
demmy55: All the job offers I've seen comes with requirements and one of the common requirement is a "minimum of Second Class Upper Division.
What happens to majority of Nigerian graduates who graduated with Second Class Lower or even below that.

Can applicants with 2.2 still apply for a job with a 'minimum of 2.1' requirement?

Can relevant or additional training and courses on the CV of a 2.2 applicant change the mind of recruiters who requires candidates with a minimum of 2.1?

Has any 2.2 applicant secured a job which requires a minimum of 2.1?

I need answers please.

I understand your point of view, there might be a way about it, but first let me introduce you to this post on skill acquisition first, https://www.nairaland.com/1259890/being-graduate-not-enough-need
if you have a 2:2 then you should work on acquiring relevant skill to backup your result. believe it or not most organizations now believe in skills rather than certificates.

Back to a point which will answer your core question...the problem is most will still ask for 2:1 okay what i will advice is, if you know you have all it takes to fit the position, remove the grade on your CV if its there and apply for the position with a very beautiful cover letter, belive me you might be called while someone with 2:1 will not....but you have to be smart about it...though it will not work in all cases as some are very strict about that.

wish you well and expecting to hear a good news from your ends soon.

8 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by demmy55(m): 10:08pm On Apr 17, 2013
adewasco2k:

I understand your point of view, there might be a way about it, but first let me introduce you to this post on skill acquisition first, https://www.nairaland.com/1259890/being-graduate-not-enough-need
if you have a 2:2 then you should work on acquiring relevant skill to backup your result. believe it or not most organizations now believe in skills rather than certificates.

Back to a point which will answer your core question...the problem is most will still ask for 2:1 okay what i will advice is, if you know you have all it takes to fit the position, remove the grade on your CV if its there and apply for the position with a very beautiful cover letter, belive me you might be called while someone with 2:1 will not....but you have to be smart about it...though it will not work in all cases as some are very strict about that.

wish you well and expecting to hear a good news from your ends soon.

Thanks. Very helpful.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 18, 2013
The nature of the Nigeria labour market is such that no specific rule apply to job application. If for instance you graduate with a 3rd class but still have connections, you will be employed before someone with a 2.1 and even first class sometimes "nepotism is a norm here" and it iapplies to every sector from private to public. If you hoping to enter any organisation on merit then I will advise you never put your class of degree on your cv so you can be invited for interview and make sure your cv is very professional without typos or blunder. At the interview, you can prove to them that you will add more value to them than any other person. Lastly, some organisations don't discriminate on your class of degree, it's just about adding value and increasing thier worth- banks, insurance, customer care, manufacturing etc.Don't despair if you don't get invited just keep applying and get some certification relating to your field.

Wish you all the best

9 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Gorimakpa(m): 8:24am On Apr 18, 2013
mitwitdot: The nature of the Nigeria labour market is such that no specific rule apply to job application. If for instance you graduate with a 3rd class but still have connections, you will be employed before someone with a 2.1 and even first class sometimes "nepotism is a norm here" and it iapplies to every sector from private to public. If you hoping to enter any organisation on merit then I will advise you never put your class of degree on your cv so you can be invited for interview and make sure your cv is very professional without typos or blunder. At the interview, you can prove to them that you will add more value to them than any other person. Lastly, some organisations don't discriminate on your class of degree, it's just about adding value and increasing thier worth- banks, insurance, customer care, manufacturing etc.Don't despair if you don't get invited just keep applying and get some certification relating to your field.

Wish you all the best

Very true. I've seen characters that graduated with PASS degrees employed in good parastatals and even in some private companies, while 2.1 graduates are left to roam the streets. No thanks to nepotism and corruption. It's sad, but that is the situation, and that shows that a 2.2 degree is more than good enough to land you most jobs, as long as you have connections.

In my experience, only very few conglomerates and multinational companies are very strict about their 2.1 requirement, where even with connection, you would need a 2.1 to work there, even if it is from any mushroom university whose 2.1 is worth a 3rd class in a good university. Companies like Price Water House Coopers, KPMG, Procter and Gamble, the top oil companies, etc. Apart from these, you can get a job anywhere else with a 2.2.

As for government jobs, you can get a job with something worse than pass gan. Just be connected, unfortunate but true. 2.2 is not as bad as the poster is making it seem.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Gorimakpa(m): 8:24am On Apr 18, 2013
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by iLUMeN8(m): 10:23am On Apr 18, 2013
As far as I'm concerned, class of degree is just a coy to cut down the number of applications per job opening by recruiters, it has got nothing to do with the intellect or competence of the applicants. Most of our 'ogas at the top' graduated with 2.2's, 3rd and pass. OP, remain positive, pray hard and hopefully God will bring along your oga at the top that is gonna take you to the next level.

5 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 18, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by yuzedo: 2:32pm On Apr 18, 2013
No hope bro. I gradate 2.2 uppper from prestingous universety since 40yrs ago. No job. cry No punny. cry No anytin! angry angry

I have desided to take matters into my very own hands. I want to do oil bunkery. Palm-oil bunkery. or kidnappy. Dat is disposeable kid nappy.hope somebody can send me richard card to sell, af not eat good food since last years. cry

15 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by ednut1(m): 2:58pm On Apr 18, 2013
2.1 never see job self, most employers do these to limit number of pple dat apply for jobs, imagine as an employer u put out advert with no grade status, u need 5 pple 150000 pple apply, how u go take shortlist, the demand for jobs out do d supply. in dis 9ja na leg sure pass dont be decieved most 2.1 are jobless also. although am a 2.1, wen i was in skul i created fake cv with grade 1st class, ican, ccna qualification, na only 1 job invite d cv get

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 18, 2013
There is hope for any class in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by phemieojelabi: 3:55pm On Apr 18, 2013
Beliv in yourself n see with God on the throne HOPE is sure!

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by hrmkz: 3:55pm On Apr 18, 2013
THERE IS HOPE FOR THE HOPELESS.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by dulphines: 3:55pm On Apr 18, 2013
yuzedo: No hope bro. I gradate 2.2 uppper from prestingous universety since 40yrs ago. No job. cry No punny. cry No anytin! angry angry

I have desided to take matters into my very own hands. I want to do oil bunkery. Palm-oil bunkery. or kidnappy. Dat is disposeable kid nappy.hope somebody can send me richard card to sell, af not eat good food since last years. cry

"...richard card to sell, af not eat good food since last years..." I now see reasons why you couldn't make a 2.1. You even tried making a 2.2!

4 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by spicyp(f): 3:56pm On Apr 18, 2013
My elder sister graduated with 3rd class,she's working now and her monthly salary is 100k

9 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by lafuria1(m): 3:57pm On Apr 18, 2013
the sad reality in nigeria is that no hope for any class of degree,even if u have bsc and masters from any UK universities. the jobs are not even there. 2years after service, guys haven't gotten a job yet. the requirement says 2.1 which obviously put 2.2 candidate off but i feel if you have a masters degree, its an added advantage.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by ebucha: 3:58pm On Apr 18, 2013
Ur class of degree must never make u feel inferior my dear. The real world only work for people that can "THINK". I know a couple of friends that a doing very very well with 2.2. Your location and how informed you are matters a lot now. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by kneatswan: 3:59pm On Apr 18, 2013
no hope 4 any grage! Unles u hav coni.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by lafuria1(m): 4:00pm On Apr 18, 2013
ednut1: 2.1 never see job self, most employers do these to limit number of pple dat apply for jobs, imagine as an employer u put out advert with no grade status, u need 5 pple 150000 pple apply, how u go take shortlist, the demand for jobs out do d supply. in dis 9ja na leg sure pass dont be decieved most 2.1 are jobless also. although am a 2.1, wen i was in skul i created fake cv with grade 1st class, ican, ccna qualification, na only 1 job invite d cv get

grin grin grin @ fake CV. thats just the reality. you need good degree and connections. two important things,
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by 32D: 4:00pm On Apr 18, 2013
i suppose u just graduated or about to graduate with a second class lower degree....fine 2.2 will have limited chances of hunting for what we can call a desirabe job but i think u shoul look beyond job hunting, acquire some skills u can turn into a money-making venture, this is not about d grade, its d same advice i would give to a 2-1 graduate and even first class. Then u package it and sell ur value.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by JideTheBlogger(m): 4:01pm On Apr 18, 2013
Na federal government hand you dey ooo unless you be lady sha
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by 32D: 4:02pm On Apr 18, 2013
spicyp: My elder sister graduated with 3rd class,she's working now and her monthly salary is 100k
ur sister is just 1 out of numerous.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by enimcnite(m): 4:04pm On Apr 18, 2013
dulphines:

"...richard card to sell, af not eat good food since last years..." I now see reasons why you couldn't make a 2.1. You even tried making a 2.2!
U Bleep up gan as u answer am aswear..u suppose knw sey na attention seeker!! angry[quote author=dulphines]
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by miccodb(m): 4:05pm On Apr 18, 2013
actually the bitter truth is 2.2 is 1chance. 2.1 has now become 2.2 and 1st class now 2.1. 1st class now = 1st class with masters. if you have a 2.2 only God and connection can help u cos Naija don pafuka. these private unis are not making it any easier as they are graduating younger and very intelligent lads des days. what chance does a 2.2(26yrs) graduant of say IMSU stand beside a 1st class(21yrs) who alreay has maybe acca,ican or ccie Absolutely none.
so forget work and chase enterpreneurship. my 2cents

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Durchmann(m): 4:07pm On Apr 18, 2013
yuzedo: No hope bro. I gradate 2.2 uppper from prestingous universety since 40yrs ago. No job. cry No punny. cry No anytin! angry angry

Total crap!!! ... And Seun just watches on. The World is Really Flat.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by DonHummer(m): 4:08pm On Apr 18, 2013
my broda jst got a federa govt job 2da...with a second class lower with no runs...so i tink deir is still hope...jst pray hard nd do ur part
Bt if u ar stil in school, do al u can to get a 2.1
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by strangest(m): 4:08pm On Apr 18, 2013
Most times, the ones with 1st class often relax and believe in their grade whereas the third class are pushed because they believe they have failed to hustle more... Its all about who hustle pass and make more money.. I have seen a lot of third class that made it more than the first class... The richest people in the world are mostly the ones that have their own business... Capish

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by dddaaayyyooo(m): 4:09pm On Apr 18, 2013
What u need is Connection into a Government Job, State or Federal that's d best way for U, If u keep applying to all this big companies, even if u pass D aptitude test, Interview will fuk u up, imagine u in a group with 4. (2.1), itz difficult for them to pick U, Go for State or federal Job

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by kennydee05(m): 4:15pm On Apr 18, 2013
A 2:2 graduate from Nigeria university has tried Τ̅☺ do well for his or herself considering the situation of the country...(Not necessary its an excuse rather its one of the determinants)...
Considering a CGPA of 2.5-3.49 on a CGPA scale of 5.... Hmmm!!! I guess its still average... 50% plus... Not too bad, but our society has make Ȋ̝̊̅†̥ look as if Ȋ̝̊̅†̥ is a crime Τ̅☺ be 2:2 graduate...
Am a 2:2 graduate and am proud....

6 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Durchmann(m): 4:16pm On Apr 18, 2013
2.2, 2.1, 3rd class, 1st class - those are just numbers. In my labour-market experience, i've only had two interviews and was successful in both. I never had Godfathers or connections and OWU was my padi then. Both jobs were won by other skills far different from my course of study. In all these, i learnt that those figures don't really matter. They are just terms used to reduce the numbers at job interviews. Never go for an interview feeling inferior or staring at other people's CVs. Just look and sound confident but ITK no go help you O!

4 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by oddy4real(m): 4:24pm On Apr 18, 2013
I am a Lawyer, finished with a 2:2 from the University of Ibadan and then made a 2:1 (which is VERY competitive) at the Nigerian Law School.
I have already done a Course in the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Nigeria), planning on doing NIM and other professional exams.
In as much as I am a Youth Corper, I have applied to a lot of top firms who prefer 2:1 but as a result of my Professional exams, awards garnered right from Secondary school till University and my extra curricula activities which I par took actively at the University, no firm I have applied to has rejected me. Once I apply, they always get back to me telling me that they appreciate my interest in their firm and would keep my CV with the intent of notifying me whenever there is space,
So my brother, it isn't about the 2:1 only, even with your 2 :2, once you show the firms that you have a lot to offer then apart from the 'certificate', they would take you.
Don't let your 2:2 weigh you down bro, seize the initiative and you are on your way to the top

9 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by excellentmomma(f): 4:27pm On Apr 18, 2013
dulphines:

Mr 2.1 can't u see u r d dullard here, u cudnt see d humour he was trying to pass across, lolz!!!, na u sabi English pass, Olodo!!!

16 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Seeking Job As A Driver Crashes The Company's Car During His Job Interview / Theois Bank Job Invitation - ASO Savings and Loans / Borno School Needs 5000 Teachers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.