Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,456 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? (3000 Views)

We Are Proffesional Builder,architectural,civil/structural Engineers-08037326972 / We Are Proffesional Builders,architects,civil/structural Engineers-08037326972 / We Are Proffesional Builder,achitect Civil/structural Engineers-08037326972 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by brabus(m): 7:36am On Apr 18, 2013
Are you thinking of building a house? There are some steps you can take that can help with the most important step – choosing your builder. Before you make a final decision on who will be building your home, it will be a wise thing to do your research. As in any industry, not all professionals are the same. Not all homebuilders will have the same passion for the project as you do.

What Do Structural Engineers Do?
The role of a structural engineer is to ensure that structures are safe and will work (in other words, not fall down/sink/collapse). These guys have the requisite professional skills and qualifications to make sure they know what they are talking about when they are advising you so that the house doesn't collapse.

What About The Architect and Why Can't He Do That?
An architect deals with the form and function of the building. Although, he come up with ways of making the structural engineer's recommendations fit into the plans, he doesn't have the engineering know-how to assess the safety of the building.

Why Not Baba Bricklayer?
I honestly won't go that route as it is not always a clean, neat operation. There will arise conflicts between Design and Build considerations. Individual differences between the bricklayer's team will create competing values and concerns. The end result is woeful.

Having a structural engineer's report on your project will give you peace of mind. Having a good architect with vision and passion to view the project from a perspective that is beyond what you can see is equally good.

Coordinating the details of a building project is not an easy task. New design changes and problems can arise everyday. How these issues are handled, can determine the final effect and value of the project.

Who builds your house? Architects, Structural Engineers or Baba Bricklayer?

Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by brabus(m): 2:30am On Apr 24, 2013
Please share your view.
Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by mdmola: 6:32pm On May 04, 2013
Good day, Brabus.
Do you by any chance know if there are books out there preferably ebooks which explain how buildings in Nigeria are constructed from start to finish. Relevant books are welcome. I'm doing a dissertation on construction technology and sustainability issues in Nigeria.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by arcis: 7:34pm On May 04, 2013
mdmola: Good day, Brabus.
Do you by any chance know if there are books out there preferably ebooks which explain how buildings in Nigeria are constructed from start to finish. Relevant books are welcome. I'm doing a dissertation on construction technology and sustainability issues in Nigeria.

Thanks.

You can google this!!!
Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by Farm1: 12:22am On May 05, 2013
I am of the opinion that a Builder (with a degree or diploma in building technology) should be responsible for building a house.

The Architect, Engineer and Surveyor could be consulted at critical stages but the builder should have the overall responsibility of coordinating the building project.

Allow the Architect to draw the building concept, allow the structural engineer to do the structural design, the quantity surveyor to do the BoQ and the builder to build the house.

We leave in a society where people do not respect professionalism and where everyone at a construction site (including the bricklayer) wants to be addressed as an Engineer! A builder should be proud to introduce himself as a BUILDER not an engineer.

When Engineers start hustling to conceptualize and draw out building plans; when builders start dictating the reinforcement requirements and architects start supervising the building details.... then we have missed it big time.

By the way, I graduated with a degree in Engineering
brabus: Please share your view.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by Nobody: 3:18am On May 05, 2013
I would rather give my building project to a sound experienced and up-to-date bricklayer/mason , who has passion for his work to build for me , there are a lot of advantages in using them than all these theory filled but practical empty and non passionate structural engineers and builders around , who glosses their cluelessness with formal paper certificates . As long as the trade's man can interpret and implement the architectural building plans ( doesn't also necessary need to be designed by a formal certificate holder based architect,no ), am good to go with him . My stance is based on experience .

4 Likes

Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by brabus(m): 4:14am On May 05, 2013
I think it is fair to say most builders these days would cope without an engineer.

Ideas and thoughts really appreciated here
Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by swiftycool(m): 9:28am On May 05, 2013
brabus: I think it is fair to say most builders these days would cope without an engineer.

Ideas and thoughts really appreciated here

The same way many Engineers cope without a builder and even an Architect can cope without a builder. I believe it all depends on the size and design complexity of the structure.

Many builders I've met can cope with simple designs but get weary when the building is quite complex or enormous in size, often changing what the architect had in mind despite the fact that structural analysis by the Engineer have proved its work ability

Bottom line; the experience of a professional is important in handling any structure. There are builders who have developed and worked with Architects as well as Architects who have yrs of experience with structural Engineers and builders and each of these professional may quite cope on his own.

However, the reason why most people prefer a well rounded Architect in most cases is due to the fact that he conceptualized the design and if he is knowledgeable in the structural stability he is able to achieve the implementation himself or get the right professional that he knows can implement his vision.
NB: all 3 professionals have been trained to have quite some knowledge of each others field

As per Baba bricklayer, (laughs) perhaps if ur dream is just to build a conventional 2 bedroom bungalow on an excellent ground situation, but don't come running here if your complex structure gets faulty due to certain little oversights by 30yrs experienced Baba bricklayer. grin
Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by brabus(m): 11:02am On May 05, 2013
swiftycool:

The same way many Engineers cope without a builder and even an Architect can cope without a builder. I believe it all depends on the size and design complexity of the structure.

Many builders I've met can cope with simple designs but get weary when the building is quite complex or enormous in size, often changing what the architect had in mind despite the fact that structural analysis by the Engineer have proved its work ability

Bottom line; the experience of a professional is important in handling any structure. There are builders who have developed and worked with Architects as well as Architects who have yrs of experience with structural Engineers and builders and each of these professional may quite cope on his own.

However, the reason why most people prefer a well rounded Architect in most cases is due to the fact that he conceptualized the design and if he is knowledgeable in the structural stability he is able to achieve the implementation himself or get the right professional that he knows can implement his vision.
NB: all 3 professionals have been trained to have quite some knowledge of each others field

As per Baba bricklayer, (laughs) perhaps if ur dream is just to build a conventional 2 bedroom bungalow on an excellent ground situation, but don't come running here if your complex structure gets faulty due to certain little oversights by 30yrs experienced Baba bricklayer. grin

You're not 9ice but this post is nice. Thanks for your input.
Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by mdmola: 12:57pm On May 05, 2013
arcis:

You can google this!!!

I can't find any real sites or books which explain the materials used, dimensions of foundations, why the materials are picked and that sort of thing. The only books i've found and bought are dated as far back as 1978. I suspect there have been many major changes in the construction techniques since then.
Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by brabus(m): 3:08am On Dec 25, 2014
Merry Christmas from the NextHome Team

In addition to wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas, we also want to say thank you. This has been an amazing year of change and growth for NextHome, and it would not be possible without your support!

Thank you for your continued support of NextHome, and we look forward to working with you in 2015!

The NextHome Team

Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by n3xt(m): 7:06am On Mar 30, 2016
Lagos building permit requirements and price depends on the scope of your project and the rate of each local government area where you want to build. In Nigeria, it can be cheaper if you know how to get the building permit yourself in stead of letting your contractor do that (the last is more likely to be asked for some grease money). Welcome to the real world! See how easy it is to get your title documents in Lagos with links to various forms and documents required.

Read more at: http://nexthomedesigns.com

Suggested reads How to process construction permit in Lagos | Case study of a warehouse

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by brabus(m): 12:10am On May 03, 2016
Bosun Davies, On ‘Drive Magazine’ Cover.
Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by n3xt(m): 7:24am On May 26, 2016
Buying a Land or Building in Lagos: Know the Setback Requirements.

Planning is a system that orders the use and development of land for the benefit of our communities. The overall aim of planning is to ensure a balance between enabling development while at the same time conserving and protecting the environment and local amenities. The idea is to create better and balanced environment for people to live, work, play, pray, recreate and move around with utmost ease.

https://nexthomedesigns.com/2016/05/26/building-in-lagos-know-the-setback-requirements/

Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by n3xt(m): 4:24am On Apr 13, 2021
XL6 Trillion | Atrium House by NextHome

The design, the build and everything in-between https://www.kobocity.com/d/157-construction-journal-xl6-trillion-atrium-house-by-nexthome/101

Re: Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? by SOLTEM: 10:05pm On Dec 18, 2021
For your complete Structural Engineering drawings with COREN stamp and seal. We'll get it done and delivered to you at a reasonable price.

Call me or whatsapp 08162485855.

We relate with people with integrity.

Engr. Olowolafe S.T. RCOREN

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Pics Of New 3 Bedroom Flats With Exquisite Finishes Of International Standard / Design Of Three Bedroom Bungalow, Anambra State.. / Cost Of Supervising A 4 Bedroom Duplex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.