Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,790 members, 7,806,187 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria (26058 Views)

5 Places To Learn Free Programming Lessons Online / Ask Me Any Question About Career In Dubai / Best Places To Work In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:48am On Apr 18, 2013
For majority of young Nigerians, pay is the bottomline in job hunting. Other factors such as job satisfaction, career advancement opportunity, work-life balance etc. come secondary. This is understandable. In a country where poverty level is high and people toil to get themselves educated, you can forgive the young graduate that thinks pay is all that matters. In this article, I have compiled 5 great companies that offer great platforms to start one’s career in Nigeria. The definition of greatness is not necessarily by the short term returns, but more of medium to long term benefits. The companies listed are basically for non-technical graduates (i.e may not too useful for engineering graduates, for example).

1, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC): PwC is a professional consulting firm that offers services like auditing, tax consultancy, financial advisory and lots more. To me, if you want to be a thoroughbred professional accountant, financial consultant or tax practitioner, PwC is your best bet for solid footing. It is not for nothing that a good percentage of top finance executives in big corporations in Nigeria are PwC alumni. PwC is a great training ground for many professionals. The firm is also highly regarded for its integrity in business dealings. The pay for entry level may not be so juicy, but it is a firm that gives you the best of training as a young graduate and the return from that investment will serve you for life, as you become hot cake when you seek to move ahead in the future.

2, KPMG: KPMG is another great place for a young, non-technical graduate to seek to start career. They have almost all the features listed for PwC above and engage in same range of services. The short-term reward may not be as juicy as some banks will offer, but you can be guaranteed of medium to long term returns. KPMG puts high premium on professionalism and work ethics. It is a fantastic place for one to start career.

3, Accenture: Probably because their work is not one you see on the street, many graduates may not even have heard of Accenture. The sports buff may know Accenture as one of the principal sponsors of golf legend, Tiger Woods, but may not even know they have business in Nigeria. Accenture is another great place to start career in Nigeria. The technology and management consulting firm is a great brand. They are very professional and give young intakes value-adding training that will continue to be of benefit throughout their career, whether in Accenture or elsewhere.

4, Shell: Now, the big fish! Yes, that’s what everybody has been waiting to see. Shell is the signpost of multinational oil companies in Nigeria and it almost naturally comes first whenever a young Nigerian student reels out his wishlist. Getting job in Shell is seen as ‘money ritual’ and it is seen as the pinnacle of making it for a young graduate. This notion is driven by pay. Ironically, what makes Shell tick, compared to other IOCs operating in Nigeria, is not its pay, but its training. In fact, Shell is one of the least paying of the big IOCs, and some independent oil companies almost match its entry level pay package. But it is almost unanimously believed in the industry that Shell offers the best training for its young intakes. That is why IOCs like Total that pay more ‘poach’ Shell staff, who would have undergone great learning under Shell. Shell is also to a large extent merit-driven. Shell is another great place to start career.

5, Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB): Some of us are not fans of professional banking career. But for those who crave banking job, GTB is the best around. GTB is strong, stable and highly professional. They are not doing badly in terms of pay either. So if pay is your motivation, you still have a dream in GTB. If personal development and future career is your motivation, GTB is still fine. Job security they guarantee too.

http://jarushub.com/2013/04/18/5-great-companies-to-start-career-in-nigeria/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Zechy09: 1:31pm On Apr 18, 2013
Thanks Jarus,

The economic situation in nigeria / mindset of an average nigerian makes us see the best jobs as the highest paying jobs.

let me start with financial sector, you are absolutely right about the companies you mentioned. They may not be the highest paying but the young graduate will learn key skills that will make him competitive in any part of the world. PWC, KPMG & Accenture would ground you on financial advisory /consultancy.
My advice to new graduates planning to travel abroad to further their education is that instead of working for banks or other companies that pay better, go to the above listed companies (if you have the chance). I worked briefly for a bank in Naija and can confirm to you that YOU WILL NOT ACQUIRE ANY SKILL YOU CAN USE ELSEWHERE.

While i agree with you on SHELL (which i am familiar with), i would advise people to work for service companies like Schlum/ baker hughes / weatherford/ Technip first to gain proper technical experience / training as the big IOCs are mainly managerial.

As for GTB , if you are not in head office doing risk management/ audit etc then it's as good as every other bank (please i may be wrong ooh!!!)

My two cents!!

6 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 18, 2013
Mr Jarus, what about the Technical guys
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by DisGuy: 2:50pm On Apr 18, 2013
hmmm 4/5 are multinationals or legacy companies, says a lot really

Nigerian companies don't like grooming newbies?

or maybe you should spread it to other sectors like manufacturing, pharmaceuticals/health etc

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by wellmax(m): 3:37pm On Apr 18, 2013
What happens to those of us who started elsewhere?

4 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by RiKKies: 3:37pm On Apr 18, 2013
PWC.- they are now PriceWaterHouse
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:41pm On Apr 18, 2013
PHCN aka NEPA
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by kneatswan: 3:43pm On Apr 18, 2013
nonsense. Waisted mb
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by delors(m): 3:45pm On Apr 18, 2013
It doesnt necessarily mean these are the best places to start. I started in far less eventfl places, during NYSC and after...sometimes teaching students who sat on the floor in Maiduguri (of course before Boko haram menace)...but now, a data analyst, technical writer, policy analyst, a PR practitioner...i can manipulate stattistics even better than statisticians themselves...and I never got employed at PWC, KPMG, Accenture, Earnst and Young, etc eventhough i submitted applications for internship, employment etc at these places..so, it doesnt matter where you start from, you can have the skill set you want if you venture into it.
Nothing ventured, nothing had!

7 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by buklan4realyah(f): 3:45pm On Apr 18, 2013
Jarus: For majority of young Nigerians, pay is the bottomline in job hunting. Other factors such as job satisfaction, career advancement opportunity, work-life balance etc. come secondary. This is understandable. In a country where poverty level is high and people toil to get themselves educated, you can forgive the young graduate that thinks pay is all that matters. In this article, I have compiled 5 great companies that offer great platforms to start one’s career in Nigeria. The definition of greatness is not necessarily by the short term returns, but more of medium to long term benefits. The companies listed are basically for non-technical graduates (engineering graduates for example).

1, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC): PwC is a professional consulting firm that offers services like auditing, tax consultancy, financial advisory and lots more. To me, if you want to be a thoroughbred professional accountant, financial consultant or tax practitioner, PwC is your best bet for solid footing. It is not for nothing that a good percentage of top finance executives in big corporations in Nigeria are PwC alumni. PwC is a great training ground for many professionals. The firm is also highly regarded for its integrity in business dealings. The pay for entry level may not be so juicy, but it is a firm that gives you the best of training as a young graduate and the return from that investment will serve you for life, as you become hot cake when you seek to move ahead in the future.

2, KPMG: KPMG is another great place for a young, non-technical graduate to seek to start career. They have almost all the features listed for PwC above and engage in same range of services. The short-term reward may not be as juicy as some banks will offer, but you can be guaranteed of medium to long term returns. KPMG puts high premium on professionalism and work ethics. It is a fantastic place for one to start career.

3, Accenture: Probably because their work is not one you see on the street, many graduates may not even have heard of Accenture. The sports buff may know Accenture as one of the principal sponsors of golf legend, Tiger Woods, but may not even know they have business in Nigeria. Accenture is another great place to start career in Nigeria. The technology and management consulting firm is a great brand. They are very professional and give young intakes value-adding training that will continue to be of benefit throughout their career, whether in Accenture or elsewhere.

4, Shell: Now, the big fish! Yes, that’s what everybody has been waiting to see. Shell is the signpost of multinational oil companies in Nigeria and it almost naturally comes first whenever a young Nigerian student reels out his wishlist. Getting job in Shell is seen as ‘money ritual’ and it is seen as the pinnacle of making it for a young graduate. This notion is driven by pay. Ironically, what makes Shell tick, compared to other IOCs operating in Nigeria, is not its pay, but its training. In fact, Shell is one of the least paying of the big IOCs, and some independent oil companies almost match its entry level pay package. But it is almost unanimously believed in the industry that Shell offers the best training for its young intakes. That is why IOCs like Total that pay more ‘poach’ Shell staff, who would have undergone great learning under Shell. Shell is also to a large extent merit-driven. Shell is another great place to start career.

[b]5, Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB): Some of us are not fans of professional banking career. But for those who crave banking job, GTB is the best around. GTB is strong, stable and highly professional. They are not doing badly in terms of pay either. So if pay is your motivation, you still have a dream in GTB. If personal development and future career is your motivation, GTB is still fine. Job security they guarantee too.
[/b]
http://jarushub.com/2013/04/18/5-great-companies-to-start-career-in-nigeria/

is because u get ACCT for GTB? dats y its d best place to start up a career.. dats a big lie

try SKYEBANK ND FIRST BANK and knw wasup
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by TableLeg(m): 3:45pm On Apr 18, 2013
Jarus,

You said "the companies listed are basically for non - technical graduates (engineering graduates for example)" - Can you clarify please ....
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by ffo(m): 3:47pm On Apr 18, 2013
you forgot to mention where i work:

Zyrocs

Sigma Pensions Ltd
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by wellmax(m): 3:47pm On Apr 18, 2013
A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don’t have a J.O.B

2 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Theben(m): 3:49pm On Apr 18, 2013
I so wish we have the opportunity to choose wherever we wish to start our career
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by byns: 3:50pm On Apr 18, 2013
Table Leg :
Jarus,

You said "the companies listed are basically for non - technical graduates (engineering graduates for example)" - Can you clarify please ....
u no sabi engrissh angry angry angry
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by aspabay(m): 3:50pm On Apr 18, 2013
My guy, don’t confuse having a career with having a life.

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by yuzedo: 3:50pm On Apr 18, 2013
Na wa o! So we wey dey work for Baba Dudu and Sons (Nig.) Ltd. no get hope for better future ni? undecided

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by ZACHIE: 3:58pm On Apr 18, 2013
Bubbish!
Start from where you can be useful to yourself and the community tomorrow.
What mentality is this?
in the word Entrepreneur, the first thing i see is ENTERPRISE!!!

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by neksummi(m): 4:02pm On Apr 18, 2013
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 18, 2013
delors: It doesnt necessarily mean these are the best places to start. I started in far less eventfl places, during NYSC and after...sometimes teaching students who sat on the floor in Maiduguri (of course before Boko haram menace)...but now, a data analyst, technical writer, policy analyst, a PR practitioner...i can manipulate stattistics even better than statisticians themselves...and I never got employed at PWC, KPMG, Accenture, Earnst and Young, etc eventhough i submitted applications for internship, employment etc at these places..so, it doesnt matter where you start from, you can have the skill set you want if you venture into it.
Nothing ventured, nothing had!

That is why I did not use '5 Best' of 'Top 5' in the article.

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by TableLeg(m): 4:03pm On Apr 18, 2013
byns:
u no sabi engrissh angry angry angry

You are a dunce ... Firstly, it is ENGLISH!!!

Secondly, Jarus said non-technical graduates and then went further by giving an example as "engineering" ....

So my point is, is "engineering" not technical as a subject facet or is it not more related to science, which are mostly grouped under technical subjects?!
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by TableLeg(m): 4:05pm On Apr 18, 2013
Jarus:

That is why I did not use '5 Best' of 'Top 5' in the article.

I dont think they are "Top 5" though .....

I just think they are "some of the best" or "some of the top" ..... Not top 5!!!
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by basilo101: 4:19pm On Apr 18, 2013
I started by working 4 myself. I no fit kum de serve these greedy imperialist white men.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Demdem(m): 4:28pm On Apr 18, 2013
Aso rock is the king of them all.
Start work there today, the following month u are made. By the 5th month, u can decide to retire to the carribeans.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Kzinne: 4:28pm On Apr 18, 2013
this list is a shame and a sham. self employment is the way to go
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Koolking(m): 4:31pm On Apr 18, 2013
Jarus:
4, Shell:[/b] Now, the big fish! Yes, that’s what everybody has been waiting to see. Shell is the signpost of multinational oil companies in Nigeria and it almost naturally comes first whenever a young Nigerian student reels out his wishlist. Getting job in Shell is seen as ‘money ritual’ and it is seen as the pinnacle of making it for a young graduate. This notion is driven by pay. Ironically, what makes Shell tick, compared to other IOCs operating in Nigeria, is not its pay, but its training. In fact, Shell is one of the least paying of the big IOCs, and some independent oil companies almost match its entry level pay package. But it is almost unanimously believed in the industry that Shell offers the best training for its young intakes. That is why IOCs like Total that pay more ‘poach’ Shell staff, who would have undergone great learning under Shell. Shell is also to a large extent merit-driven. Shell is another great place to start career./

Personally, I will choose Shell for a retirement career
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by ismokeweed1(f): 4:32pm On Apr 18, 2013
@op : this is a good thing you did here. It is wise for a human being to want to excel in their area of expertise. And those companies are good in their own various fields, do you know that over twenty million people apply for various jobs in those establishments during their recruitment excercises?

well i think that there are over 600,000 unemployed graduates with internet facilities who will read this post on nairaland and SHARE it to a further 10,000,000 other unemployed graduates who will still sit down at beer parlours or the HOT STREETS and tell it to over 20,000,000 other unemployed graduates. And we know that at least over 2,000,000 NYSC members will join up to the numbers above by december this year.

To cut it short, the career pointers you listed in your post is not enough for our unemployed citizens today and it is very sad. I think a person should just build up from anywhere he/she is able to fix a stable foundation on, in the long run all fingers can never be equal, things change and time waits for nobody.

Even if those companies sack/retire their entire present staff in nigeria, they WILL get replacements for every single vacant position within a week and at the most hire just under 5 million graduates.

I wonder what the others would do . . . KEEP ON SUBMITTING CV'S of course

or what do you think?
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 18, 2013
Table Leg :

You are a dunce ... Firstly, it is ENGLISH!!!

Secondly, Jarus said non-technical graduates and then went further by giving an example as "engineering" ....

So my point is, is "engineering" not technical as a subject facet or is it not more related to science, which are mostly grouped under technical subjects?!

Thanks. I meant to use engineering as example of technical.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is There A Decent Way He Could End This Affair With His Married Boss? / Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry / Recession: Construction Firms Sack 65,000 Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.